• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hard" directional input issue

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I've found something in Project M that works a little unusually, to say the least. It's a controller problem as well as a game problem, but this only happens in PM and I'm curious to know why and if it would be possible to fix it, since at this point it's prohibitive to playing the game for me.

I use a controller that I've had since melee came out, and the analog stick is very very slightly tilted down. It is still defaulted to neutral, and when playing melee it can still read any input just fine, including fairly precise stuff like moonwalks and shield drops. When playing PM however there's a fairly major problem, and that's how it responds to a "hard" down input–it doesn't. And when doing a "hard" up input it seems to take a much more violent smash of the stick to respond properly.

This means a couple of things but the most important one is that on that controller I can't platform drop, upthrowing is unusually difficult, etc etc. It still does down tilts and up tilts fine, however.

I wanted to chalk this up to a problem with brawl's engine but I tested it in brawl and my analog stick works fine there as well. This is a PM exclusive issue.

So something about PM has been changed from brawl/melee regarding directional inputs. Obviously I would love it if it were fixed (although to be fair, this is an issue niche enough that it might not be worth using time on) but moreover I–and I think the PMBR would be interested as well–would like to know what change was made.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
That's interesting to hear it's a P:M issue, most everything in P:M has been marginally easier and more responsive than Melee for me with my Controller that has play towards the right (if you lightly touch it sometimes it'll keep moving the cursor to the right). Such things in Melee like having good Falco laser control seem to irk out Side-bs due to the tilt where P:M seems not to. I certainly wish they could code in a Controller Calibrate menu into the game, that'd fix so many Control and C-stick issues that make Controllers otherwise unusable for console (I use my bugged C-stick controller for Melee Online using a USB adapter, the Calibration fixes like magic what is an otherwise dead C-stick).

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I think the window for reversing a laser or something in PM is more generous than melee but I wouldn't be certain since I play melee enough that it's very easy for me. A controller calibrate screen would probably help, but even so I'm super curious to know what exactly it is they changed.

Top Bottom