• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's Freakin' Link!" - A look at Link in Smash 4

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Believe me, I would love to use more tilts, but I have the hardest time pulling them off consistently with the 3DS circle pad. I definitely appreciate the matches and the critique, though. I feel like I need to work on my recovery options as well. You're the first person I've played that was able to shut down my recovery so effectively.
I'm touched. that's the first time anyone has ever said that. :)

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Posting this here, since I'm not sure if there's a thread on it or if it's been documented elsewhere already, but Bombsmashing (courtesy of Izaw!) is back.

Pull out a bomb, hold down the standard attack button, Fsmash (preferably with the C stick). You'll still have the bomb in your hand. Great for mixups and mindgames.

And it's back!

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Posting this here, since I'm not sure if there's a thread on it or if it's been documented elsewhere already, but Bombsmashing (courtesy of Izaw!) is back.

Pull out a bomb, hold down the standard attack button, Fsmash (preferably with the C stick). You'll still have the bomb in your hand. Great for mixups and mindgames.

And it's back!
Smash4 for WiiU?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The only "problem" I see with bobsmashing now is that our fuse is only 4 secs long now instead of the 7 that it was in Brawl. This is a considerable factor to be taken into account since we really don't want to have the bomb explode in our hands during a bombsmash since it won't only leave us open or dmg us, but it'll negate the smash knockback.

The word probelm is too strong thoug, more like issue to keep in mind. Our bomb game this time around is extremely different than it used to be; it's a lot more dinamic and aggresive.

D

Deleted member

Would anyone happen to know what part of Link's sword gives the elusive D-Tilt meteor?

Every now and then I get it but I can't definitively tell what the spacing needs to be.

Granted, it happens so infrequently that it isn't a good idea to go for it a lot anyways.

But I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance.~

Rizen

Smash Legend
Would anyone happen to know what part of Link's sword gives the elusive D-Tilt meteor?

Every now and then I get it but I can't definitively tell what the spacing needs to be.

Granted, it happens so infrequently that it isn't a good idea to go for it a lot anyways.

Thanks in advance.~
I did some testing. It seems to be the same hitbubbles as in Brawl. The spike bubbles shown in yellow (fig2) have lower priority than the blue bubbles so a spike will happen if only a yellow hits.

2 easy setups are: 1 if the opponent is hanging on the ledge and Link is crouching so the outer corner of Link's Hylian Shield barely touches the opponent, Dtilt spike will meteor them and 2 if the opponent is falling down and touches Link's head as he crouches the yellow head spike bubble will meteor them (like if the opponent tries to freefall and grab the ledge).

Sadly Dtilt starts frame 13 (FML) so Link risks himself getting hit when going for the spike bubbles. It's not safe unless the opponent can't attack.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

Thanks in advance.~
The hit bubbles are the same as the ones in @ Rizen Rizen 's graphic. They are, I think, better than Brawl's though in that they are slightly more reliable. I've tested this spike and found that if the oponent is hanging from the ledge you need to be slightly away from it. Go to Final Destination, to the left edge and you'll see a blue stripe on the ledge. Link's boots have to be behind the blue stripe, not even touching it. That's roughly the distance fromt he ledge you need to be for the spike to always hit. Try it out and find the right distance but it's that approximation.

The other spike is in Link's head, as you can see int he picture. This means that when your oponent is falling you need to begin your dtilt when his feet are at the same height as Link's head/eyes for the spike to hit him. Again, this takes timing but that's the approximate height.

It is still quite situational, but it could come in handy so I'd recommend going to training and set the CPU to jump, move in close and try to get the spike. Then set it to control and make it hang from the ledge, then practice the other spike (remember the blue line must be touching the tip of your boots) and memorize that distance.

Mar0399

Smash Rookie
Long thread. Is links gameplay based entirely on running away and shooting projectiles now?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Long thread. Is links gameplay based entirely on running away and shooting projectiles now?
Now? It has always been based on that. Link is in essence a spamming character, much like Falco and now DHD. Now it's the first time we don't have to do that thanks to the new mechanics but can actually go melee. But again, you wouldn't know that nor acknowledge it even if you do know, would you? Specially considering that you are here with the intent of either trolling or trying to start a flaming (none of which will work mind you).

Won't work with us. Can't troll a troll, specially not a real Link main.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
A zoning character playing a zoning playstyle? No way!

Mar0399

Smash Rookie
Now? It has always been based on that. Link is in essence a spamming character, much like Falco and now DHD. Now it's the first time we don't have to do that thanks to the new mechanics but can actually go melee. But again, you wouldn't know that nor acknowledge it even if you do know, would you? Specially considering that you are here with the intent of either trolling or trying to start a flaming (none of which will work mind you).

Won't work with us. Can't troll a troll, specially not a real Link main.
I could use more melee attacks in melee. But the physics and hit lag lent more to that. I've been looking for some statigies here. Glad to see you reply so quick you must be having fun. A simple question is not trolling. Elessar visiting the beach again to get more sand in his vag is trolling. Like a real Link main. Yay being a real link main can get you laid!!!!!

If you don't like how we do things, you're welcome to shut up and read, since it's unlikely we'll continue to be as lenient as we have been by actually answering your questions. I doubt someone with your apparent illiteracy (you missed the pinned rules thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/hey-listen-–-link-board-rules.380431/ ) would be able to find any useful information at all without our help.

Go back to the gay boards, I'm sure they'll hold your hand and coddle you. Accept the sand and thicken your skin or leave.

sasook

Smash Champion
I've always felt like since Link's defining weapon is the Master Sword, he should stick to sword-play. He's actually quite effective if you play as if he's Marth.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I could use more melee attacks in melee. But the physics and hit lag lent more to that. I've been looking for some statigies here.
Actually, the mechanics in this game lend themselves to the same amount of melee attacks than melee if not slightly more. Link's attacks are beastly with the new tipper properties, plus the increased hitstun allows a good player with decent reading skill to actually string many hits.

Also, you're trolling skills are pathetic. You've still got a way to go to even become amateurish, really. You technique is old and outdated (misogynist implications? Implying virginity? Really?) and won't get you anywhere. As Shin's said, we won't continue to be a lenient so this is your last chance to stop trying to derail our threads or spam. Want to have a trolling spree against me or the boards? The head over to the social thread. Stop posting your dumb, shallow and half assed posts with the feeble intention of disguising them as useful. They're obviously spam bait.

I've always felt like since Link's defining weapon is the Master Sword, he should stick to sword-play. He's actually quite effective if you play as if he's Marth.
You're damn right Sook. The new tipper property of Link's sword is too good. You can score some really early skills. Spacing like Marth pays off too much now.

Last edited:

General Tsao

Smash Rookie
You're damn right Sook. The new tipper property of Link's sword is too good. You can score some really early skills. Spacing like Marth pays off too much now.
Can Link tipper on aerials? I thought it was only Fsmash and Dash attack.

Any tips on how to practice spacing/setting up the tiippers

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Tip of attack spacing was a good thing to do even before the tippers, back in Brawl, because Link's slow attacks but good reach. IMO Link needs to use (nearly) all his attacks to be successful.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Can Link tipper on aerials? I thought it was only Fsmash and Dash attack.

Any tips on how to practice spacing/setting up the tiippers
Link only has tipper in three hits as far as I know: 1st hit fsmash, dash attack and dsmash.

IMO Link needs to use (nearly) all his attacks to be successful.
You are absolutely right. All of Link's moveset is useful at one point or another, even the horrible dtilt. Link seems to be designed around exploitation of every move I'm order to be truly effective.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
You must be typing on a phone Elessar since I'm seeing several words that I don't think you've meant to put.

On topic, you said there's a tipper on his Dsmash but which parts? Is it both or one in particular since both have different properties?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You must be typing on a phone Elessar since I'm seeing several words that I don't think you've meant to put.

On topic, you said there's a tipper on his Dsmash but which parts? Is it both or one in particular since both have different properties?
I was indeed typing on a phone. Damn predictive text. If memory serves me well, both had a tipper effect that simply increased knockback, much like fsmash. But I can't honestly remember. I need to test it again.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Tip of attack spacing was a good thing to do even before the tippers, back in Brawl, because Link's slow attacks but good reach. IMO Link needs to use (nearly) all his attacks to be successful.
Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I love Link so much. He's just so versatile compared to other characters. I've always loved playing as the "jack of all trades" types.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Link's definitely become less of a projectile-based character though. His close game has improved amazingly. He no longer has to run away. Hell, Im abe to RUSH people in this game with Link. It's all about fluidity with him now. If you whack the guy over a sword's distance, then keep pressure with projectiles.

He's become extremely versatile in that aspect where it doesn't matter how close or far you are from Link, you still need to keep your guard up!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I did some testing on what Link's Hylian Shield (HS) blocks. As a rule of thumb, it blocks all range attacks (projectiles, lasers, thrown items, etc) but not melee attacks and only if they first hit the HS and not Link. A new buff is indirect explosions (like from Bob-bombs) will be blocked. There are some exceptions:

These items will not be blocked:

Boomerang when returning
Spiky Blue Shell
Beetle
Pow Block
Coocoos are blocked on the first hit but the swarm will target Link afterwards
Soccer Ball
Unira
Spring
Bumper
Pitfall
Freezie
Deku Nut
Hocotate Bomb
Smart Bomb
Gooey Bomb
X Bomb fire (the thrown object will be blocked)
Gust Bellows (thrown object and wind)
Fire Flower (fire and thrown flower)
Lightning
Timer
Superspicy Curry fire
Super and Poison Mushrooms (even when crouching)
Daybreak shots

I don't know what makes some of these special but don't get caught "off guard" in casual play with these items. Keep in mind thrown items will be blocked but not if they're use as melee items (thrown homerun bats blocked but bat hits not, etc). Barrels, rolling crates etc will be blocked.

Character attacks that aren't blockable with HS:

All close range melee attacks (I E NOT range attacks).
All grab type attacks (including sucking moves like Kirby's)
All Zairs
All wind effects, water effects, etc that push but don't damage
All boomerangs when returning cannot be blocked (only when going out)
Luma's sideB Starbits (Luma neutral B shot will be blocked, interestingly)
Bowser Jr's upB explosion (mecha koopas can be blocked by crouching)
DK's down B shockwaves
Zelda's downB phantom will be blocked but it can sword slash after the rush behind Link's HS and hit if fully charged.
ZSS' side B and all whip-like moves (only paralyzer shots can be blocked)
Robin's DownB (grab type)
Fox's Laser
Falco's laser
Pika's DownB Thunder after it touches Pikachu
Charizard's rock smash main rock
Jigglypuff's sing
Villager's Bair (But his Fair and Fsmash can be blocked)
Pikmin throw sideB
Pac Man's fire hydrant
Mega Man's B Blade can keep going through Link's HS and cut his back.

Non special attacks that can be blocked with HS
Villager's Fair, Usmash and Fsmash. All of Olimar's smashes but Dsmash must be crouch HS blocked. Mega Man's buster shots, Fsmash, Uair, Dair.

Interesting notes:
Falco's shine can be blocked now but his laser can't. Fox/Falco's lasers will not be blocked anymore. Vertical moves like Robin's upB energy waves, sonic's spring up and Pika's thunder can be block if they touch the HS. Explosions will now be blocked (unlike in Brawl). Stars from Yoshi and DDD's ground pond moves can be blocked but to block DDD's Link must crouch. Gordos can be blocked but it's a bad idea because how the bounce, etc. The chips from Charizard's Rock Smash will be blocked but the main rock won't. Flame thrower attacks like Charizard/Bowser's can be blocked but they can angle them so don't bother. Lucario's force palm and aura sphere specials can be blocked but not his smashes. Greninja's water shurikins can be blocked by crouching but a full charge will keep attacking through and hit with the last hit behind Link, as will multi hit attacks like Mega Man's metal blades and Zelda's fully charged Phantom. Crouch to block PK Fire. ZSS' Dsmash will not be blocked.

HS will only block while Link is walking, standing still and crouching without an item (bomb) in hand. If Link is in 'off balance' animation at a ledge HS won't block.

PS I've only unlocked Falco so other secret characters were not tested.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
It really frustrates me that we can't block space animal's lasers. Honestly, I feel like its a bug and I hope it gets fixed in a later patch.

Having the ability to block while walking, however, is amazing. I've found that it practically hard counters buster happy mega man players. You can almost feel the panic as you slowing walk towards them, blocking all their shots. :demon:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Having the ability to block while walking, however, is amazing. I've found that it practically hard counters buster happy mega man players. You can almost feel the panic as you slowing walk towards them, blocking all their shots. :demon:
This mental image made my morning. Thanks for it Zelkam.

Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Villager's Fair and Fsmash. All of Olimar's smashes but Dsmash must be crouch HS blocked. Mega Man's buster shots, Fsmash, Uair, Dair.
Wait, really? Dang, I didn't expect that.

Not sure how useful it'll be, since its range lends it better for edgeguards (at least from what I've seen), where the HS will be powerless anyway. Then again, I can imagine an Fsmash being whiffed while we're slowly making our approach and just block it when we're close, not giving a flip, and then punish.

You can almost feel the panic as you slowing walk towards them, blocking all their shots. :demon:
You mean like this?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/AZComics/comic299.png

Last edited:

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
I'm not sure if this has been posted before or asked but is there any use to down throw a bomb, fastfall and recatch?

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I did some testing on what Link's Hylian Shield (HS) blocks. As a rule of thumb, it blocks all range attacks (projectiles, lasers, thrown items, etc) but not melee attacks and only if they first hit the HS and not Link. A new buff is indirect explosions (like from Bob-bombs) will be blocked. There are some exceptions:

These items will not be blocked:

Boomerang when returning
Spiky Blue Shell
Beetle
Pow Block
Coocoos are blocked on the first hit but the swarm will target Link afterwards
Soccer Ball
Unira
Spring
Bumper
Pitfall
Freezie
Deku Nut
Hocotate Bomb
Smart Bomb
Gooey Bomb
X Bomb fire (the thrown object will be blocked)
Gust Bellows (thrown object and wind)
Fire Flower (fire and thrown flower)
Lightning
Timer
Superspicy Curry fire
Super and Poison Mushrooms (even when crouching)
Daybreak shots

I don't know what makes some of these special but don't get caught "off guard" in casual play with these items. Keep in mind thrown items will be blocked but not if they're use as melee items (thrown homerun bats blocked but bat hits not, etc). Barrels, rolling crates etc will be blocked.

Character attacks that aren't blockable with HS:

All close range melee attacks (I E NOT range attacks).
All grab type attacks (including sucking moves like Kirby's)
All Zairs
All wind effects, water effects, etc that push but don't damage
All boomerangs when returning cannot be blocked (only when going out)
Luma's sideB Starbits (Luma neutral B shot will be blocked, interestingly)
Bowser Jr's upB explosion (mecha koopas can be blocked by crouching)
DK's down B shockwaves
Zelda's downB phantom will be blocked but it can sword slash after the rush behind Link's HS and hit if fully charged.
ZSS' side B and all whip-like moves (only paralyzer shots can be blocked)
Robin's DownB (grab type)
Fox's Laser
Falco's laser
Pika's DownB Thunder after it touches Pikachu
Charizard's rock smash main rock
Jigglypuff's sing
Villager's Bair (But his Fair and Fsmash can be blocked)
Pikmin throw sideB
Pac Man's fire hydrant
Mega Man's B Blade can keep going through Link's HS and cut his back.

Villager's Fair and Fsmash. All of Olimar's smashes but Dsmash must be crouch HS blocked. Mega Man's buster shots, Fsmash, Uair, Dair.

Interesting notes:
Falco's shine can be blocked now but his laser can't. Fox/Falco's lasers will not be blocked anymore. Vertical moves like Robin's upB energy waves, sonic's spring up and Pika's thunder can be block if they touch the HS. Explosions will now be blocked (unlike in Brawl). Stars from Yoshi and DDD's ground pond moves can be blocked but to block DDD's Link must crouch. Gordos can be blocked but it's a bad idea because how the bounce, etc. The chips from Charizard's Rock Smash will be blocked but the main rock won't. Flame thrower attacks like Charizard/Bowser's can be blocked but they can angle them so don't bother. Lucario's force palm and aura sphere specials can be blocked but not his smashes. Greninja's water shurikins can be blocked by crouching but a full charge will keep attacking through and hit with the last hit behind Link, as will multi hit attacks like Mega Man's metal blades and Zelda's fully charged Phantom. Crouch to block PK Fire. ZSS' Dsmash will not be blocked.

HS will only block while Link is walking, standing still and crouching without an item (bomb) in hand. If Link is in 'off balance' animation at a ledge HS won't block.

PS I've only unlocked Falco so other secret characters were not tested.
Found out on accident that villager's Usmash can also be blocked by the Hylian shield

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Found out on accident that villager's Usmash can also be blocked by the Hylian shield
Interesting. I wonder if his fair, bair and fsmash would also be blockable is we duck (in the case of the fsmash).

AoZora

Smash Rookie
Awesome, I've been needing a guide for Link but thought no one played him. Glad I was proven wrong. Love the guide!

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Awesome, I've been needing a guide for Link but thought no one played him. Glad I was proven wrong. Love the guide!
Glad to see you've picked up Link. Don't forget to read the board rules and Foxy's survival tips. If you follow the rules, you'll do just fine here. Welcome to the Link boards.

AoZora

Smash Rookie
Glad to see you've picked up Link. Don't forget to read the board rules and Foxy's survival tips. If you follow the rules, you'll do just fine here. Welcome to the Link boards.
I've always been a Link main. I will make sure I follow the rules! <3

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
I found out something that is quite interesting with link. His D-tilt from behind has a spiking hitbox that I cqn only get to work on yoshi. If anyone wants to confirm this or if this has already been posted, please let me know if this might be viable

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I found out something that is quite interesting with link. His D-tilt from behind has a spiking hitbox that I cqn only get to work on yoshi. If anyone wants to confirm this or if this has already been posted, please let me know if this might be viable
Link's dtilt has a weird spike hotbox. Its in the middle of the sword and it only hits some opponents from behind and most opponents when they're airborne at approximately Link's head height. I can also be used to edgeguard but as I said, the spacing and positioning is tricky.

D

Deleted member

Yep.

Link's D-tilt meteor has been a thing in past games as well as this one, it's spacing/sweetspot is really finnicky, so it's really only for situational use, but I've managed to get KOs with it at the edge with good timing/spacing (although I kind of improv the spacing of it)

And what Elessar said above me.

See the following,
I did some testing. It seems to be the same hitbubbles as in Brawl. The spike bubbles shown in yellow (fig2) have lower priority than the blue bubbles so a spike will happen if only a yellow hits.

2 easy setups are: 1 if the opponent is hanging on the ledge and Link is crouching so the outer corner of Link's Hylian Shield barely touches the opponent, Dtilt spike will meteor them and 2 if the opponent is falling down and touches Link's head as he crouches the yellow head spike bubble will meteor them (like if the opponent tries to freefall and grab the ledge).

Sadly Dtilt starts frame 13 (FML) so Link risks himself getting hit when going for the spike bubbles. It's not safe unless the opponent can't attack.

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
Whenever i get a jab on someone who is offstage i can get a dtilt spike off. IDK wether I get lucky all the time but it seems to work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom