• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Dragon Quest Discussion - Forgotten Past, Promising Future

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This is the place to talk about anything Dragon Quest.
Talk about your favourites in the series, what you want from the next installments, strategies, your plushy collection and more! Or if you've never played before ask and we'll happily give suggestions.

I'll be updating the OP with new rumours and news from the most popular jRPG series in the world, so feel free to check back here regularly:

News:
Operation Hero Petition

Dragon Quest XI in the works? and it'll be on home console (possibly Sony?)
Dragon Quest X international release considered and All-in-One Package, and 3DS version
Dragon Quest X no longer IP Blocked
New Dragon Quest Monster game in development
Dragon Quest VII localisation possible with support? and maybe Dragon Quest X too?
Dragon Quest Heroes Announced for Playstation
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest gets Jiggy

Potential Upcoming Localasiations:
Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
Dragon Quest Monsters (3DS)
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (3DS)
Dragon Quest X Online (Wii, Wii U, PC, Android)
Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 (3DS)
Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light (Mobile)
Dragon Quest XI (TBA)
Dragon Quest Collectable Trading Card Game
Dragon Quest Monsters Parade (Browser)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3 + 4)
Thatrhythm Dragon Quest (3DS)

If Dragon Quest 10 is announced this will also be the place to discuss making a Smashboards Tribe (or Guild/Allegiance, whatever they call it) and decide if to make a sub-forum.

Last edited:

Zip.

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest VII was one of my main reasons i picked up a 3DS, somewhat heartbreaking there's a chance it might not come here.

also VIII is my favorite and got me into the series, everyone else?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The whole second dark age of Dragon Quest was super saddening, I bought the Wii U mainly for Dragon Quest X so I know them feels, though at least that seems to be on the way, even if it has taken 2 years... Hopefully DQVII comes with it!

For me V (DS) is my favourite, I think the passage of time is done amazingly and makes the world feel real, I love the story too, plus the introduction of monster taming to the main series, and actually having Party Talk in the western release were great additions.

I got into the series by playing the first game, which I played for the history lesson mostly, but the difficulty curve and need for efficiency (and grinding, lots of grinding) really caught my attention, and I found myself piling through the series and falling ever so quickly in love.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I haven't beaten every DQ game, I have a lot of fond memories of the series. DQ1 was my first one, and it got me into the series. I wasn't able to complete it until way later, but I went on to play most of the rest. DQV is also my favorite DQ. The adventures you go through as you grow up was just really cool along with choosing a wife which affects various things. While I do like DQVIII, I had two issues with the game. The overworld was amazing so I feel like not having random encounters would've been a good choice for the game. Second issue was that battles felt slower in this game.

I'm still hoping for DQVII to get a localization announcement. I've never played VII and I heard it was a great DQ once things get going.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest VIII iOS and Android Out Now!

Yes, DQVIII's battles were really slow, the animations took forever, and the iOS version chugs along pretty slowly anyway so it takes even longer, though given it's mobile and designed for playing on the train it's arguably not as big a deal as you've got other things distracting you... The framerate and loading times are a big issue, and I will miss the orchestrated soundtrack and voice acting, though again, designed for a train so you probably wouldn't have the audio on anyway so it saves some loading time....

And I've not played VII either, lack of European release sucks... :( I'm pretty much expecting the announcement at E3 now though, so soon!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm an awful man, but double post because it's review time.

I've now put a few hours into Dragon Quest VIII Android version and feel I've had long enough to make a judgement on it, after all it is a port so I know how the game goes.

[collapse=The Controls]The Controls:
I played it mostly on a train commute, it's clear home ground, as well as in waiting rooms and a little bit of time put aside in my bedroom, and it's important to make these distinctions because how the control scheme handles is reliant on them.
On the train they were exactly what I wanted, allowing me to play one-handed while I stood there, I could walk around perfectly well and the ability to tap on objects to walk up and interact with them made the somewhat fiddly swipe movement perfectly adequate, when you're jostling on a train it feels entirely comfortable to tap those controls as you're not in the perfect position to control your in game direction as you steady your out of game one too. The battle and inventory controls are also fine, with large enough buttons spread far enough apart that if you shake slightly you'll still more than likely click what you want to (something that can't be said for most mobile RPGs that have such small button you don't need to be shaken around for it to mess up your input). The inventory's a little smaller than the battle, but it's much lower tension so the odd mispress isn't quite as important. All in all it's clear this game was designed with commuters in mind.

In the waiting room it again felt fine, but this time you start to realise the problem with one handed play, while it's perfect when one hand is used, when the other is free and you're sat waiting you just want to flip the game sideways and play it the way you've been bought up to, and your arm becomes tired far more quickly than you'd think. Maybe it's that you're not expecting to use it like you do on the train, but either way, it's uncomfortable for long-ish periods of waiting. Moreover sitting still you feel far more confident in your ability to traverse the world, but that confidence is mis-placed. The swipe controls are just as inaccurate as ever, and though you can change to a smaller control pad I'd advise against it as it ends up interpreting my movements about 20 degrees out from my intentions whenever I use it (maybe I just have fat fingers). In all they work, and it's still a good way to while away your hours, but it's better to take a 3DS, or just play another, more dip in dip out, mobile game

At home though it becomes silly. I popped it on the table to play this time to save my wrist, but my god is it awkward. The larger buttons then fall into it's disfavour in a way as I want to use my smaller fingers for the controls and they all seem unnecessarily spread apart. It becomes tiresome, and it's just more convenient to play it on my PS2.

All in All though I've got to give it a positive, because it was intended for the Japanese market, where everyone takes a train... it doesn't mesh so well with our western world, but in Japan it's clearly the right decision. As such this is a phone game, and not a tablet game though, keep that in mind.[/collapse]

[collapse=The Framrate]The Framrate:
And here comes some of the bigger problems of the port. The frame-rate has been dropped to I believe 30, cutting the mid-frames to save processor power, without slowing the game down, which is much the same as watching a youtube video of DQ8 and is certainly not jerky enough to be a problem in of itself, but the problem is more the way it's encoded and when it over-stresses the graphics.

In those cases the framerate drops, but not in the jerky mobile youtube way where it skips a few between the keyframes, nope! Instead it just slows them down and shows you each frame in crawling detail. The game moves sluggishly and jerkily for a half second it needs to process, and then goes back to normal. On the train you might miss it, but it's still a bit jarring when you do spot it. My phone isn't super new mind you, so a newer system may have fewer problems, but I've heard the iOS version is less efficient than the Android one, which sounds pretty horendous! The most jarring problems I've found are in text boxes though suddenly cutting the frames as the swoop across the screen... this could cause the faint of stomached amoung you some discomfort, especially when in motion. If you don't have a powerful phone this game really isn't for you, and for the perfect experience... I'm not sure the phone's been made available yet?

A real downer, but if that's what you pay for in pocket convenience of this still gorgeous game then I guess it's passable if you have a good enough phone. If not, stick to the PS2[/collapse]

[collapse=Load Times]Load Times:
Another problem the game suffers from is loading times, and this is something the PS2 version had too... but not in the Japanese. Fans who reviewed this compared to the Japanese game where really harsh on the load times, but as a westerner it really isn't that much different, of course it does depend on the power of your phone, but as long as you've got one that has only minor issues with the frame rate you'll find the loading times to be only a fraction longer than the PS2 version, and with the added benefit of having a constantly moving views out your train window they'll be far less annoying! In all while fans of the Japanese game will be dissapointed, and I wish they didn't exist, the loading times aren't a new issue by any stretch.[/collapse]

[collapse=The Sound]The Sound:
Those of you who are fans of the PS2 version may be dissapointed. This version does not come with the (not particularly great) Voice Acting or the Symphonic Soundtrack the western release received, instead reverting to the Japanese soundtrack, which is perfectly adequate, and does save on load times! It seems a toss up, but honestly it's not. This is a mobile game designed for trains, and this means you'll be playing it on mute, like always. The fact there's music at all is nice for when the coach is empty, but you'll never hear it so anyone complaining bout the sound is missing the point, and the quicker loading times are more than worth it![/collapse]

[collapse=Stability]Stability:
A mixed bag here. On it's original release in Japan it was notorious for crashes, and I've heard again that the iOS version still has it's issues there, but I've actually not had any in-game! Not to say I've not had any though, as the game loads it's crashed more than a few times, and I'd say about 1/10 sessions has ended before it began, meaning I've had to close the program and load it up again... considering the main appeal of the mobile version is convenience that's really not a good start. Though, this is still better than it crashing in-game, and since it's been patched since the JPN release it's stability has improved greatly in-game, probably making it more stable than some of the other games on my phone, but also those games aren't 60+ hour RPGs where loosing a game session can set you back a long way.

There is a problem though, it crashes if you switch to a different application... which isn't exactly stability, but if you're just looking for crashes, this is one that happens every time as far as I can tell!

The fact there are any stability issues is a problem for jRPGs, but I've not experienced any problems so that's a good sign.[/collapse]

[collapse=Power Draw]Power Draw:
There is however one place I can give this game nothing but praise! The guys at Square Enix clearly understand how long there games are, and how long a session can be so they thought this through, and made sure that the game ran in power saving mode! Yes the framerates are annoying, but when a simple game like Super Hexagon gets my phone warm fairly quickly and a beautiful game like Dragon Quest VIII runs cool as a cucumber it really does mean something. I've managed an hour play session with 12% of my battery, which is pretty comparable to the terrible social games like Clash of Clans, or more fittingly as a comparison for SE, Million Arthur! And I can tell you that DQVIII is a lot more impressive than them! Games like PvZ2 run about twice as hot, and that's a 2D game, that while fun, can't really compare. Comparing orangess to oranges this game's low power consumption is really impressive, and an absolute feat from the guys at SE!

But comparing them to the ripe juicy apple of the PS2 version that never runs out of battery... it all comes down to if mobile is convenient for you.[/collapse]

[collapse=Logistics]
Let's keep this simple, the game's not a mobile game. It's a port of a PS2 game designed for long play sessions, and cutting it up into little commutes doesn't really work... Even with quick saving making it playable you just loose the scope of the adventure somewhat. That said it's still a long game at a good price, so if you have an hour long commute (like I do), this game is fine, but if you'll be playing for 15 minutes at a time this is not the best.

One thing though, it doesn't let you switch windows without crashing, so if you're expecting an important call, don't play this game!

Generally I don't think the mobility is as convenient for the type of game it is... it's still good for journeys, but the game is better suited to home console play![/collapse]

As for game play, story etc, it's the same as the PS2 version, so go read a review for that! (it should tell you that it's great)

In all I think this is better than never playing DQVIII at all, but unless you are a commuter with a good phone then it's better to go buy the PS2 version and a cheap second hand console... a quick search leads me to it being about twice the price, but given the you need a good (preferably android) phone to play this version anyway I'd imagine you'll either have the money, or be saving yourself money compared to a phone upgrade... and moreover seeing the Majesty of this game on PS2 with proper frame rate and symphonic music is worth a few extra quid!

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Don't Expect Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts at E3? Does that mean we can expect Dragon Quest?! Well there are two unannounced game slots for SE on the twitch line up!

I think it's likely, but do remember that there's significant competition! Cutting the games that have been announced we've got a Tomb Raider Sequel (they've confirmed it's coming, but no official announcement has been made) and Just Cause 3 (the domain name has been registers) and Triad Wars (I don't remember where this came from, a leak maybe?), with other potential games like a full new Hitman game (not Snipers as that's been revealed) and maybe even Deus Ex getting the 'not quite announced really' treatment (though I think they'd just say the name in that case)

Still, that's far less competition than with FF and KH around... I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll be dedicating a section to DQ, and if not then fairly certain we'll at least see something in the Nintendo Direct or SquareEnixPresents Youtube Channel!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Crossing my fingers for Dragon Quest VII. Hopefully we'll see it in the Direct.

DQM 3DS game would be nice to have too.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
No interest in DQX, DQXI JPN reveal or Rocket Slime 2?

Personally DQX is the one I'm most interested in, the AC2 resurrection has got me craving a good MMO again... But it's not looking the most likely sadly. DQVII seems to have a good shot though, but really I would be super happy with any Dragon Quest popping up!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
No interest in DQX, DQXI JPN reveal or Rocket Slime 2?

Personally DQX is the one I'm most interested in, the AC2 resurrection has got me craving a good MMO again... But it's not looking the most likely sadly. DQVII seems to have a good shot though, but really I would be super happy with any Dragon Quest popping up!
I kind of lost hope for DQX coming outside of Japan. It would've been nice for these Wii U droughts.
The game didn't look like the greatest MMO, but I definitely wanted to play it for a bit.

DQXI, I don't expect at E3. I never played the first Rocket Slime sadly, but it looked fun.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I kind of lost hope for DQX coming outside of Japan. It would've been nice for these Wii U droughts.
The game didn't look like the greatest MMO, but I definitely wanted to play it for a bit.

DQXI, I don't expect at E3. I never played the first Rocket Slime sadly, but it looked fun.
They're already considering DQX localisation though... admittedly with no region information, though that could play into them already working on the NA/EU release... I'm not discounting the possibility, though I admit DQVII is the only game I'd bet on appearing. And from what little I've played it was really good, slower and more methodical than most MMOs and the community was pretty welcoming, especially given my terrible Japanese... maybe it won't hold up long term, and maybe it's not for all, but the community is what makes an MMO for me, and the Dragon Quest fan community has always been a strong one, so ya know.

As for DQXI, I'm not so sure, with FF and KH missing E3 they're clearly going to be big news at Tokyo Game Show, which is where you'd expect the trailer to be shown off... I find it hard to imagine they'll go deep into two huge go deep into both games and officially announce another in just one event... Though, if they do it would be pretty amazing!

Anyway, this isn't news or anything, but this is why I go to Siliconera first for my news! So much Dragon Quest love!

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I really like the Dragon Quest series.
I have not finished any of them. :/

I have the three DS remakes, VIII, and IX. IV was the last one I was working on, and I'll probably continue from there.

I'm really hoping we will see a localization announcement for VII at E3. I'm not too optimistic about its chances after that.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hehe, good luck, they're great games, but they can take a while! And VII's the worst apparently, about 100 hour main quest, and more with side-quests... Although I guess IX is 3-5 times as long if you're going for the perfect file with all the DLC quests...

Not that I've actually played VII mind (you can berate me if you wish), and maybe the 3DS version's sped it up a little?

Anyway, hope we're all pleasantly surprised by whatever we get at E3, be it DQ or not! So close now!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
E3 may not have delivered, but where that fails, Siliconera delivers!

Dragon Quest XI for Home Consoles!

Which home consoles? Who knows? We'll probably find out at TGS... but likelihood is it's Wii U or possibly PS3 (yes, 3, not 4!)

The PS3 has a fairly significant sales number in Japan, and is still very heavily supported, but the Wii U is the strongest contender in this generation of Console War, garnering 1.5 the PS4 sales in the weeks Prior to Mario Kart 8, and that then doubling means the PS4 at this stage seems a bit of a damp squid in eastern markets... SE have also revealed a PC version of FFXV which points to them pulling out of the console completely...

Which console would you rather see the game on?

For me, it's gotta be Wii U, this would help cement Nintendo's domination of the Japanese market and help make the system the place to go for great Japanese developed games (which I tend to prefer)... Either way, I'm still watching out for Dragon Quest news, even if E3 seems to have been a bit of a bust...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd rather see it on Wii U. I want a traditional JRPG on my Wii U, and it'd be nice to just kick back and play it on the gamepad.

I want a return back to traditional DQ though.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I imagine it will stay reasonably traditional, they're apparently planning to release it for the 30th Anniversary (27th of May 2016), so it would make sense for it to stick fairly tight to the traditions of the series... Not that I'd complain at a DQXI style game, but I don't see a need to release one when DQX is still running, better to have something more story focused!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest Petition

I know it's nothing new for DQ petitions, but this one seems to be going pretty strong, and is getting a little media attention. If it'll mean anything or not is questionable, but given that the voice of the fans is the strongest it's been for a long time we may have an effect if we haven't already. I implore you to sign, strike now and make it so they have to hear us!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
A few bits of news today, one's been sat on for a bit because I was busy:

Dragon Quest II mobile releases on the 26th of June in Japan. No news on western releases, such as the Dragon Quest 1&2 that gor ESRB checked previously.

And something a little different, Dragon Quest X themed romantic comedy manga... You read that right. In it two players from the MMO meet IRL and find each other to be the opposite gender to their PC... given the Genre assumedly hilarity ensues and they fall in love, but I've yet to read it in all my business. I'll try and keep my ear to the ground for a fan translation once my work quietens down a bit.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest could go back to Sony

This is news, and weird news given their recently announced PC port of FFXV showing their lack of faith in the console... They also pledged greater support for the Vita at the same event, though not DQ related, but everything seems more in the lines of 'consideration' as far as I can tell...

With the game already in development I personally still think it's coming to Wii U, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, hopefully we get some news at TGS.

Obviously, I'm a Wii U owner so that's my prfered console for it, but I also think it's generally better for us to have it on a Nintendo platform as they seem more invested in the series, and it probably means they're more likely to push for the localisation... although that's just how it seems to me, who knows how SE will see things.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Having Dragon Quest 8 on mobile may not be too bad, but when you imagine trying to play the game with mainly touch screen controls then the novelty wears off pretty fast.

I would rather have it on a console/format that has buttons that works with the game, not touch screen.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Dragon Quest could go back to Sony

This is news, and weird news given their recently announced PC port of FFXV showing their lack of faith in the console... They also pledged greater support for the Vita at the same event, though not DQ related, but everything seems more in the lines of 'consideration' as far as I can tell...

With the game already in development I personally still think it's coming to Wii U, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, hopefully we get some news at TGS.

Obviously, I'm a Wii U owner so that's my prfered console for it, but I also think it's generally better for us to have it on a Nintendo platform as they seem more invested in the series, and it probably means they're more likely to push for the localisation... although that's just how it seems to me, who knows how SE will see things.
"Return to Sony" doesn't mean it will be exclusive. Also, no XV PC port has been announced so far.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
"Return to Sony" doesn't mean it will be exclusive. Also, no XV PC port has been announced so far.
I know, but given the different architecture it's extremely unlikely to be on both PS4 and Wii U; PS3 and Wii U is quite possible though.

As for the PC port, you're quite right, they seem to have removed the allusions to it in the latest information; there was a previous announcement of discussion about one but assumedly it was canned or I read more into it than they were actually saying. I clearly haven't kept up with the news, but honestly I've been following Dragon Quest, not Final Fantasy, so it's not too surprising.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest IV coming to iOS and Android in the west!

Moreover they're taking it to Gamescom along with DQVIII mobile; it may not be the games we're all calling for, but it honestly looks like they're taking Dragon Quest seriously at last. There are still a few things we don't know yet, like if Party Chat will be present in the western version, but either way this is fairly exciting news.

The game is based on the DS version, and from my experience with the Japanese version runs at a far more palatable frame-rate than VIII (on any decent phone you shouldn't suffer frame drops except at the highest battle speeds); in fact I would say is all round better than VIII as a mobile game thanks to it's pacing and design having already been edited somewhat for the DS version to make it suit gaming on the go. The control scheme should really shine here, as it is a great scheme for casual play, and the inventory isn't as difficult to navigate in my experience either thanks to it's already more streamlined approach compared to VIII. As an added bonus you can speed up battles, and any fans of Bravely Default (or even stuff like Hexyz Force) know how useful Battle Speed adjustment can be, so in all I think this will be the best version of the game, and only more so if we do get Party Chat back!

I'll keep you updated on release dates, pricing and the like when the news comes my way, but I can do nothing but recommend this game, it's one of the best in the series, and probably the best starting place for newcomers, so if you're interested in supporting the series, getting a good mobile RPG, or starting your own Dragon Quest I implore you to give this game your consideration.

Still no news on DQ I & II, but I'm pretty confident that we'll be seeing it soon enough... and hopefully some VII 3D and X Online news too!

It's also just occurred to me that this is the only new game they're bringing to gamescom! This could mean that it'll be released before the event, or it could mean they're going to be really pushing DQ this year... now Square Enix aren't ones for making big reveals at the event so I'm not expecting VII or X or anything like that, but with two DQ games I wouldn't be surprised if they make it a big attraction and pop out some DQ merch from Japan onto their western website at last; so keep your eyes peeled.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You can play Dragon Quest X right now!

But it's not in English...

The IP walls have been bought down and the game is playable by anyone in any country.. maybe? You still need to get the game, and you may need a JPN credit card to play it after the trial, but I can't find any other reports about it right now...

I will play about Sunday and try and get more information for allyou lovely people, but either way this is great news! It makes sense with more portable versions available now for Japanese people to be able to play it anywhere while travelling, but I like to think this is also one step closer to a real worldwide release... I guess we'll have to wait and see; Gamescom or more likely TGS seem the safest bets right now for DQ news.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I had no luck getting past the geographical issues regarding DQX, but it does work with the free trial days if you care to import... looking at why this has happened I've gotta say my original belief that it was for 3DS travellers seems bull right now after my girlfriend tried streaming the Android version... note the tried, it barely managed to load her stopping area before she got kicked for latency... so this makes me think this is possibly in preparations for showing the game off elsewhere in the world? Gamescom does look a good place to do it, especially as DQ is more popular in the EU than US. Moreover I'm starting to think we may well get a pretty big Dragon Quest section in an upcoming Nintendo Direct... why you ask? Well..

A New Dragon Quest Monsters is in development!

Added to DQXI probably being Wii U, and this probably being 3DS (they wouldn't want to compete with Superlight on mobile as that's raking in the cash for them), it seems there's plenty for them to show both Japan, and with X and VII us too... maybe I'm being overly hopeful, but I'm actually pretty confident now... it's just a matter of when do you think we'll see this stuff? Gamescom? August Direct? End of the Year?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dragon Quest IV Now Available

Android
iOS

Party chat is back, the controls are great, it runs smoothly and has a very useful quick-save function. This is a straight up 10/10.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So Square Enix are starting a Nintendo Direct like service with Square Enix Presents Japan... No Dragon Quest scheduled yet, but it could be where we get our DQXI and DQM reveals, which would be nice. This could mean we might not be getting them at TGS though...

What's everyone's thoughts on when DQ will show up (remember that Super Light and Dragon Quest X updates could also be covered)? Are you excited for the service?

And because I'm feeling generous here's a new trailer for Dragon Quest X 3DS version.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So Square Enix are starting a Nintendo Direct like service with Square Enix Presents Japan... No Dragon Quest scheduled yet, but it could be where we get our DQXI and DQM reveals, which would be nice. This could mean we might not be getting them at TGS though...

What's everyone's thoughts on when DQ will show up (remember that Super Light and Dragon Quest X updates could also be covered)? Are you excited for the service?

And because I'm feeling generous here's a new trailer for Dragon Quest X 3DS version.
Pretty neat. Getting to hear more from the staff sure is definitely nice. Crossing my fingers that this will get a steady flow of info from S-E to keep me interested in their upcoming titles.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Their previous Presents tend to have a lot of anxilery information rather than anything big and new, but that should change here. It was kind of more like an Iwata Asks section, where you got more about the mindset of the team, but since they've already said they're revealing new classes for Final Fantasy Explorers I'm expecting we'll get full on reveals through this format if people watch it enough.

Either way More DQX news! Some info on 2.3

That dragon looks derpy, but I kinda like him :p.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Good news for western Dragon Quest fans!

But you're still hungry....

Seriously though Dragon Quest 1-3 are confirmed for western release with DQ1 getting it in a few weeks (TGS I'm looking at you), and the next two in the Erdrick trilogy coming in the next 2-3 months. ie. we should be getting the full Erdrick trilogy on our phones before the end of the year! YAYS!

They've also pretty much committed to releasing 5 and 6 in the west too, though with those not having made it to Japan yet I don't expect that will happen too soon. One interesting note though is that they consider 7 to be impossible for the format due to having far too much text for the file size... if only there were some sort of enhance port to a different console they could perhaps release?

Still no news on DQX, XI, Monsters, Rocket Slime 2, Superlight or merchandise, but I think it's safe to say they're taking Dragon Quest more seriously again, so I'm hopeful for things to come.

In related news Dragon Quest VIII is on sale, down by $5, you can get it at Google Play Store or the Appstore. As I've said before I think getting the PS2 version is better, but at this sale price the decision's much closer. I'd still recommend Dragon Quest IV first mind you.

It's also nice to point out that Dragon Quest VIII have passed the top 500 best grossing games on Google Play, putting it only 50 places behind FFVI and many places ahead of all the other Final Fantasy games... given that it has no in-app purchases that's an incredible number; it's doing really well for itself in sales too, at 385; in that figure it does loose to the far more established Final Fantasy series' IV,VI,III and I, but given how much more recent this game is it's still impressive.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Square Enix want to translate DRAGON QUEST VII 3DS

...but they don't think it'll sell well enough.

I think they're massively wrong, especially given the popularity rising thanks to the successful mobiles games, the impressive marketting potential of both Nintendo Directs and Square Enix Presents, and to a much lesser extent the increased popularity and interest on this board alone thanks to my lampooning for Slime in Smash Bros... but I'm not making the decisions.

Basically go tell Square Enix that you want this game, because they need proof it will work!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
And as if by magic we get a second post today!

Only one thing I didn't know already sadly (the part about Akira Toriyama's wife having to take the game away from him), but still a good video all the same!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So we got a Dragon Quest Musou/Dynasty Warriors game coming out for PS4. Can't say I'm interested since I'm not into those types of games. Like a lot of people, I was hoping for DQXI to be shown at the Sony pre-TGS conference but oh well.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
We know they're aiming for a release date for DQXI of May 2016, so I think it's a bit early for them to be revealing it now, going over a year of hype is expensive and kind of unnecessary for DQ in Japan, so I thought it was pretty unlikely to happen. Going by the IX build-up it'll probably be officially announced next year... and honestly I still think it'll be on Wii U... touch screens just work so well with menu based RPGs.

As for Dragon Quest Heroes I'm not 100% sure it is a Musou game exactly, there don't appear to be any allies anywhere. While it's certainly a hack-and-slash in a similar vein it seems to lack the strategic elements from what little we've so far seen. Also the combat looks really sluggish... It really doesn't look all that good, especially after Hyrule Warriors has shown us how you can mix Musou elements with other games to wondrous effect.

But then again, it's only a reveal trailer, and as an RPG I guess the elements that a Musou style game could draw from Deagon Quest are probably more about equipment management and the like... I guess the possibilities just don't excite me as much as Zelda did, even though I like the franchise more.. and also a Musou game without the strategy element sounds really boring if that is the way it is.

Anyways, the Liquid Metal Slime PS4 has me tempted, if they just had another game I was interested exclusive to the system I'd probably import it.

I want it!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've never seen a sextuple post before

Unfortunately the dragon quest heroes game is on a Sony system

and I haven't owned a sony system since PS2

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, this is mostly a thread for news at the moment, so I tend to be posting alone, although there seems to be people following.

Luckily I already have a PS3, so I'll probably pick it up, but if you've no interest in the Sony side then maybe I can interest you in this?

Rocket Slime 2 Localisation being considered?

In all this worry about Dragon Quest VII, Square Enix seem to be looking at the spin-offs quite closely. The Rocket Slime games are apparently more popular over here than in the east (in terms of feedback, not sales of course), and they're far easier to translate so it looks like it's a possibility they're considering.

I'd far prefer VII and X of course, but I take my slimes in any flavour, and Rocket Slime was a great game so I'd be happy to see the original turn up on VC, or the new 3DS game with pirate ships coming over; they just have to release it in Europe this time because region locks prevent me from importing!

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies was the first of the Series I got into, I didn't know the series that well, so I tried the game out, it didn't take me very long to get into it, then I waited for the next game, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, I still play it every now and then.

If they had 3DS remakes for these two games, I would purchase them again, so many things I have yet to discover on those games on wi-fi.:estatic:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There's not likely to be remakes of those two, but there are remakes of DQ VII and the original two Monsters games already in Japan which we'll hopefully get some point soonish...

As for the Wi-Fi stuff, if you mean the DLC and DQVC content there is a DQIX savedata pack on Dragon's Den with all the DLC things on (barr I think two of the shops). It's not the easiest thing to sav in, and link to a second DS with a second copy of the game, but the resource is there:

Here's a Link to the Thread

It unlocks the DLC quests too with multi-play of course, but having to get an adapter and second copy of the game is a pretty high price for a complete experience I admit... so you'll have to make your mind up if it's worth it.

Top Bottom