• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamespot gameplay shows faster loading times. new demo in circulation?

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet

If you watch the end of the video, the load time between the end of the match and the results screen has been drastically reduced. Could this be a new demo build?

EDIT: Another video shocasing shirter loading times

EDIT: Does anyone spot any gameplay differences such as landing lag on aerials or any other elements that seem different?

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
Here's a playlist with lots of footage from the Best Buy build. You can feel free to average wait times:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmHi1rPbj_RqLsgls9WkFVmPrXSO-Zw1I

That load time for the winner's screen did seem unusually fast, but that time seemed pretty random in the first place so I dunno if it is a different build or just the extreme fast end of a random range.
It could be, but I also find it odd that they're posting this video a month after e3

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Definitely a newer build. DK's groundpound is still amazing, and HOLY HELL the reach on his side-B @ 1:50 !! <3
Though, we know Sakurai is hiding the truly new builds away

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist

This was from when Gamespot played at e3
How is that footage so good, did nintendo let them put a capture card in the demo booth!?!
Now I see what ya mean.
Load times always seem random, it could depend on the end game screen effect.
Maybe splitting the screen is less taxing on the game than covering it in white ink splats.

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
How is that footage so good, did nintendo let them put a capture card in the demo booth!?!
Now I see what ya mean.
Load times always seem random, it could depend on the end game screen effect.
Maybe splitting the screen is less taxing on the game than covering it in white ink splats.
I've seen e3 videos where the screen split and it has the same load time as the ink splatter. This could just be a one time occurrence that just happened to be faster, but part of me doubts that

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Definitely a newer build. DK's groundpound is still amazing, and HOLY HELL the reach on his side-B @ 1:50 !! <3
Though, we know Sakurai is hiding the truly new builds away
Haha, that range was truly amazing, but it may be toned down. It seemed to have somehow hit Fox while he was shielding.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
More proof of a new demo. Gonna ask again, do we see any endlag differences or other things like that? Cause I can't tell

EDIT: would you mind if I added this to the OP?
It looks to me that some attacks have low landing lag, like Samus' Dair or Villager's Turnips, and other attacks still have a fair amount of lag, such as DK's Dair.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
@ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle Is this a change from the e3 build?
Not sure. I think it may have been in the E3 build too, but I'm not certain.

@ Jalio_the_Brave Jalio_the_Brave I just watched the second video, and saw Villager use his Uair and had little to no lag upon landing. Once he landed, he immediately used his boxing gloves. Maybe Villager used the move at the right moment in the air so that there was almost no lag upon landing.

Last edited:

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
Not sure. I think it may have been in the E3 build too, but I'm not certain.

@ Jalio_the_Brave Jalio_the_Brave I just watched the second video, and saw Villager use his Uair and had little to no lag upon landing. Once he landed, he immediately used his boxing gloves. Maybe Villager used the move at the right moment in the air so that there was almost no lag upon landing.
Could auto canceling on moves be buffed up a bit to reduce landing lag more now?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Can someone describe the landing lag situation to me. In the first gameplay vid on the OP it looked like there was hardly any, but I noticed some on DK, and one on him that was preeetttyy slow, but as for the other characters I saw very little to no lag

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Could auto canceling on moves be buffed up a bit to reduce landing lag more now?
Perhaps. But if you look at this video, it seems as if Villager already didn't have much landing lag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUee35f6AE

I'm optimistic though, that stuff in the new video definitely seems faster for Villager! Hopefully we'll see more from others. I actually saw in the first vid, I think near the end, DK did a short hop nair that seemed to autocancel so quickly it almost looked like a SHFFL.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Perhaps. But if you look at this video, it seems as if Villager already didn't have much landing lag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUee35f6AE

I'm optimistic though, that stuff in the new video definitely seems faster for Villager! Hopefully we'll see more from others. I actually saw in the first vid, I think near the end, DK did a short hop nair that seemed to autocancel so quickly it almost looked like a SHFFL.
It's like some characters, like Mario and Sheik, are lucky and have low landing lag on their aerials.

But other characters, such as a certain hedgehog, have been cursed and received increased amounts of landing lag on their aerials.

Senario

Smash Ace
It's like some characters, like Mario and Sheik, are lucky and have low landing lag on their aerials.

But other characters, such as a certain hedgehog, have been cursed and received increased amounts of landing lag on their aerials.
Don't forget our favorite Tactican who is the first mage character to be added to smash ):

All that lag! WHY T_T he isn't even a slow hard hitter, he is mid speed. Maybe they are fixing it a character or two at a time though. Shiek and Mario may have been some of the first, although it could be attributed to the fact that they aren't exactly super slow chars.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Don't forget our favorite Tactican who is the first mage character to be added to smash ):

All that lag! WHY T_T he isn't even a slow hard hitter, he is mid speed. Maybe they are fixing it a character or two at a time though. Shiek and Mario may have been some of the first, although it could be attributed to the fact that they aren't exactly super slow chars.
Oh yeah... Robin's Fair is also painful watching. I pray his other aerials aren't similar, or that they are being improved. It seems like Fairs and Dairs are the aerials with lots of landing lag.

Senario

Smash Ace
Oh yeah... Robin's Fair is also painful watching. I pray his other aerials aren't similar, or that they are being improved. It seems like Fairs and Dairs are the aerials with lots of landing lag.
From what I've seen though shiek has landing lag speeds just as good as Melee was. Not that I particularly mind since I like shiek but honestly you would think that the Mage character Robin would be a mid speed character. If Marth/Lucina are fast, Ike is slow, Robin is middle speed...but his air move is painful to watch for how slow it is. I also have a few gripes with how slow the ending lag on some of his moves are. He has unnecessary animations after attacks even on the ground. Look at Elfire to see what I mean (fire move). And to a lesser extent thoron.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
From what I've seen though shiek has landing lag speeds just as good as Melee was. Not that I particularly mind since I like shiek but honestly you would think that the Mage character Robin would be a mid speed character. If Marth/Lucina are fast, Ike is slow, Robin is middle speed...but his air move is painful to watch for how slow it is. I also have a few gripes with how slow the ending lag on some of his moves are. He has unnecessary animations after attacks even on the ground. Look at Elfire to see what I mean (fire move). And to a lesser extent thoron.
This seems to be a thing in Smash 4 in general. Attacks just seem a lot more flashy, and it feels like characters are showing off or something. A lot of other gestures and movements are unnecessary in this game, like Sonic having to be glued to the floor after his Dair. It's as if Sonic is some hero who's crashed into the battle whenever he does that attack. I guess you may have to use some aerials wisely if you don't want to be left vulnerable.

Senario

Smash Ace
Zelda says hello. She is completely a mage. :p
DANG I GOT OWNED. Lol you're right though, I just keep forgetting zelda since well...lets be honest, she isn't very good. I'm actually surprised they managed to make zelda WORSE in smash 4 by removing Shiek xD....makes me feel bad yo.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
DANG I GOT OWNED. Lol you're right though, I just keep forgetting zelda since well...lets be honest, she isn't very good. I'm actually surprised they managed to make zelda WORSE in smash 4 by removing Shiek xD....makes me feel bad yo.
She actually doesn't seem worse in Smash 4. They buffed her aerials, (I saw a sweetspotted bair kill at 63% on Rosalina) her UpSmash and Fsmash both pull people towards the hurtboxes, Din's Fire is now a Kill move, Nayru's has reduced landing lag, Utilt it a combo move now (like Fox's Utilt) Farore's Wind is a KILL MOVE and is twice as fast, Phantom can be used as a perfect offstage edgeguard, plus the fact its pretty beefy and Shields Zelda against anything (meaning she can follow up after an instacast), she has a lot in her favor now. It's VERY exciting. When I played her she was very fun and smooth.

It just didn't help that in the invitational the girl who played her sucked and was the first eliminated, not to mention not very many players were proactively looking forward to try her out in the demo. I was SUPER surprised she was selectable.

And its Sheik. It's easy to remember if you think Sheik because Sheik is a she.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most likely just an optimized build, we're not likely to find many new things there.

Also, what's up with Keldeo going all "YEAAAH!"?

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Anyone notice the ending lag after Pikachu's forward smash?

And why does he still use the same damn voice clips? They've got like, almost 20 years worth of Pikachu sound bites to choose from.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Faster loading times are always nice. I feel like everything in Brawl took a bit too long to load.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Aerial landing lag is obviously intended to be used as a balancing tool. The question is whether or not their ability to balance well is sound. I prefer to remain optimistic about it until proven otherwise first-hand. :)

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I don't want to be rude but that makes no sense.

Auto Canceling means no lag after an aerial or a special. You can instantly do something after you do a move. Like samus's short hope missles and marth's short hop nair in brawl auto cancel and can do another move after they finish.

If he reduces the landing lag on a move its because he reduced the landing lag on a move not because he increased auto canceling O_o.

EDIT: Also that has to be a new build. Out of all the videos I watched of the e3/best buy demo and my 2 days of smash 4 at best buy experiences I did not see keldeo in any of it.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I don't want to be rude but that makes no sense.

Auto Canceling means no lag after an aerial or a special. You can instantly do something after you do a move. Like samus's short hope missles and marth's short hop nair in brawl auto cancel and can do another move after they finish.

If he reduces the landing lag on a move its because he reduced the landing lag on a move not because he increased auto canceling O_o.

EDIT: Also that has to be a new build. Out of all the videos I watched of the e3/best buy demo and my 2 days of smash 4 at best buy experiences I did not see keldeo in any of it.
I think he means like the window of time for a move to be autocanceled could be made larger, thus "buffing" autocanceling.

Top Bottom