• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Pivot and Fox Trot based ATs

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
These techniques apply to every character, but because Little Mac has by far the best fox trot and FTilt, this is particularly noteworthy for him. Essentially, the combination of fox trotting, Brawl dashdancing and turnaround tilts give him ground options on par with Melee dashdancing and wavedashing.

Glossary:

• SSB4 dashdancing: Inputting a dash in the opposite direction in the first few frames of a dash. In SSB4, any dash inputted this way has no initial momentum, allowing you to make your dash however short you want by timing your release of the stick. If you let go of the stick after only a couple frames, you do a stationary dash. If you let go of the stick after only one frame, you do a Perfect Pivot.

• Perfect Pivot: In the first few frames of a dash, inputting the opposite direction for only one frame (can be done by flicking the stick) will perform a regular, lagless standing turnaround animation that can be instantly cancelled with any move. You keep some momentum from the direction of the initial dash.

• Fox Trot: Inputting a second dash in the same direction during a specific window towards the end of the initial dash animation. Combined with a perfect pivot, you can do anything out of a fox trot.

• Turnaround tilt: Inputting a forward tilt during the run turnaround animation.

Applications, starring Little Mac (the last two are particularly noteworthy):

Foxtrot + Brawl dashdancing:

Extended dashdancing:
Input: →, →←, ←→, →←, ...
Because it gives you no initial momentum, the dashdance length can be reduced to nil with fast enough fingers/a GC controller.

Perfect Pivot:
Input: →[single frame ←]

Fox Trot -> Pivot Jab
Input: →, →[single frame←] . A

Retreating FTilt (Fox trot, -> Dashdance -> Turnaround tilt):
Input: →, →← [wait for the dashdance window to end], →A
You can adjust the sliding distance with how long you hold left.

Foxtrot->FSmash (not pictured because this isn't new, but you'll do it a lot when trying the next one so I might as well point out there's an easier way)
Input: →, →A

"Dash-Canceled" FTilt (Foxtrot -> Dashdance -> Perfect Pivot -> FTilt):
Input: →, →[single frame←] [soft→] A
This is hard. You need to both do the input fast enough to do a perfect pivot, without hitting the stick so hard that you perform a FSmash. Possibly a good reason to wait for the Wii U version to play Little Mac, as I feel like this move will murder your opponents and your 3DS alike.

Last edited:

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if chars could use ground moves out of dash using turnaround tilt mechanic. Thank you for testing this man, you could have potentially found something amazing. Now people may be able to add ground moves into there combos more and Little Mac having a way to use ground moves out of dash better. Thank you for doing this man :)

Sqweg

Smash Rookie
a form of dash dancing at all makes me extremely happy, i dont care about wavedashing all that much but having dash dancing is great, thank you for this

J1O

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dank808
3DS FC
2294-4874-7217
This is glorious

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Edited the OP with new pivot-based techniques and the explanation of the dash-canceled FTilt.

Wicked Roar

Smash Rookie
I was so confused why your thumb wasn't moving with all that dashing. I then realized the videos are flipped.

Ace Skullington

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot! going to go in training mode with a friend who is so much better than me. However I am a fast learner.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
This is great, I really have to learn this These techniques, I'm trying to use Falcon and I can see how great he benefits from this as well as Mac

Last edited:
Top Bottom