• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward Smash, Dash Attack and Jet Hammer Strategies

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hey guys, in this thread I would actually like to make this one an open ended community discussion. In short, Forward Smash, Dash Attack and Jet Hammer are all moves with devastating killing power, yet are extremely situational and difficult to land in tournament matches. I personally have landed an absurd amount of F-Smashes but haven't found much luck using Jet Hammer. In this thread, I would like for us to all come together and throw in ideas, traps, setups to facilitate landing these moves. These moves have the potential to turn really bad situations around for us. So lets start discussing!

:dedede:

Judo777

Smash Master
DA is a good mixup for spotdodge spammers while getting CGed. I also would personally jump offstage and hit low recovering snakes with jet hammer lol

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
Well, forward smash and Dash attack usually works on people who spotdodge DDD's Dthrow thinking that they have a better chance of avoiding the chaingrab, depending on said frame data of the spotdodge. Otherwise, the only possibly way to viably land these moves are through hard reads.

Magma Dolphin

Smash Apprentice
Jump into someone while using Jet Hammer. A lot of people are unfamiliar with the areas the move covers because of its low use. And, I believe moving stretches the area of coverage slightly. Not to mention, people do not expect an aerial hammer as much as they expect a grounded one. You could also master the hammer slide and put that into use...

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If someone is predictable with Nado, I like to "rush" them with Jet Hammer.

I use Dash Attack whenever possible, especially OoS. I loooooooooooooove Dash Attack.

Like seriously, Dash Attack is an amazing punish. Probably our best when you factor in FSmash's atrocious lag.

FSmash is best thrown out randomly and is a boss in teams. Like... just set it up there.

On that note, I miss having a constant doubles partner... :(

∫unk

Smash Master
dash attack is the only semi usable one imo

fsmash is alright but the sweetspot hitbox is too small and laggy...

jet hammer just sucks. down b is for the flashiness but otherwise avoid it.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Jet Hammer sucks. I only use it when Marth UpB's and lands on a platform, because it's more guaranteed to hit than fsmash (since it has a smaller sweetspot hitbox on top of it, or so it seems). If there are no platforms you can just dthrow to fsmash him, abusing the RCO lag, which is way better than Jet Hammer. On almost every other situation you could have landed a downB (including reads) there was probably a better option...

Fsmash is good with the right spacing, but not getting predictable with it. Most characters can't punish a blocked fsmash, in fact most people will be hit with a follow up dtilt if they think there's a great recovery lag and try to punish. The shockwave hit is good to punish people who try to spotdodge the hit or roll to your back, and it's knockback puts them just above the ground, perfect position to bair them or, if they airdodge to the ground, grab them.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So basically Jet hammer can only be used on people recovering towards the stage, and even then, Dedede has way better options. Though, I've noticed when people get to the edge, they're pretty slow to get back up.

Dash attack, of the three, is my favorite. It can be used as a mixup and on people who have a habit of spot dodging. It can also be used as a (DECENT) punish on moves that wiff/have large end lag, but require some pretty fast reactions.

Fsmash is kind of weird. It's a mix of dash attack and rocket hammer in terms of usefulness. It's basically the world's strongest punish. I like to use it on people that have a tendency to jump up off the ledge (sweetspots) Otherwise, I don't use Fsmash that much.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I like to use Fsmash when the opponent is on the ledge or at the end of a platform so if they sheild, they fall off and I'm safe. Plus, it could put them into a bad/better position.

Dash attack I use only when someone is on the ledge and does the same thing as fsmash. And to punish spotdodgers, especially after dthrow.

I don't use jet hammer ever.

∫unk

Smash Master
with f-smash, vs opponents where you know the timing and option of their getup is, you still have fairly low odds of actually getting the best punish. most of the time you end up safe, but rarely do you do damage. and the thing is, the opponent just waiting or the opponent being super aggressive both beat the move. i would only f-smash if i was behind and felt there was no way to outplay my opponent for a victory. i f-smash a lot more in doubles but still pretty rare.

that's why i think if they're going to be on the ledge, you can do an attack that is relatively safe because it pushes them off, or you could just be grabbing because they're probably going to shield.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I have been toying with F-Smash more and more and lately I have been seeing a lot of success on the ledge. But moreso on Frigate of all places. I usually wait to catch people when they are off the edge and trying to recover on the side of the stage that doesnt have a ledge. It puts them in a really bad spot since they have no ledge. Real talk, last 3 or so tournaments Ive trapped people like this on that stage...one Diddy and 2 MKs lol. Ive done it several times in the past too. Its just a matter of spacing it correctly and playing with the charge timings. Most people seem to expect the sweetspot hitbox to come out sloweer than it does after a charge.

Also I just condition people into spotdodging so I can punish them for it later. It works from CGs and from other situations.

Hmm I like Beefy's idea..it could be worth looking into.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually do that Beef.

And I loooooooooooooove Frigate for Dedede, it's an excellent stage for us.

Except against Olimar.

∫unk

Smash Master
i don't think it's very good vs falco since it spends more time (2/3 iirc) in the second transformation

i played larry there and i did alright but i think i lylat would have been better

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Jet hammer is strong, but uncharged it lacks power worthy of the risk. It's fun to use off the ledge to scare off or hold back recoveries, but it's land options are sad. Few opponents are slow enough or predictable enough to use it on land. It's learning curve in professional use is way too high. In fact, I've never used it in a tourney.

Dash attack is amazing, if u use it sparingly enough so that it's not predictable. So many ledge kills...

And f-smash...I also use it to get predictable ledge kills. It scares the h&ll out of people.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The amount of ppl who spotdodge the chain grab, trying to escape, is surprisingly high >_>
I score many kill because of that whenever I play D3.
The other 2 moves just cannot be reliably used IMO.

Laem

Smash Champion
Jet hammer for the flashy ****.
Dash attack only like when MK accidentily sideb's in the air and is now falling to the ground
Fsmash is the best of the 3 imo. Be ballzy and cover a certain ledgeoption with it and you might get that reward. Can be pulled off vs ppl who commit too much in their approach (e.g mk runs up and sh fairs but misspaces just a bit and dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees). Fsmash's cooldown isn't the worst, and the earthquake hits help a bunch to avoid major **** happening to u. And in teams.. just use it. heck, if ur teammate is in front of u half a BF away, dthrow fsmash some1 and **** may just be going down.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Funny, I have a couple of forums on All is Brawl that are similar to this.

The forward smash can combo into King Dedede's Dash Grab into Down Throw chain grab (SWEETSPOTTED! :awesome:) on Wolf (Up-B), Charizard (Up-B), and Ganon (Up-B). This can also combo on Marth (Up-B) out of a down throw (unsweetspotted :().

The Jet Hammer can be used occasionally to escape out of Pikachu's down throw chain grab since it has to be in a certain percent and the jet hammer gives Dedede damage, making Dedede escape out of the certain percent down chain throw. It's best to use this if Pika is off of the stage, is getting star ko'd, or something like that.

Top Bottom