• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory

PCHU

Smash Lord
I know the metagame is still in its infancy, but after a bit of playing and watching, things aren't looking too great in For Glory.
At least, from a "balanced (offense vs defense)" view.

Without the option to counterpick Battlefield or Smashville (why is this absent), characters with strong projectile/keepaway games dominate, even if you fully understand exactly what they're doing, how they're doing it, and how you get around it.
The lack of platforms, I think, is what's making matches so tedious, not to mention there are characters without reliable followups even so far as attack strings go -- things just don't fit together and their approach becomes an even greater hit-and-run game than Brawl.
I understand the Japanese ruleset goes by FD only and I won't trash the way they play because that's not my point -- my point is that it's rather disappointing to have heard all of these things about the game fighting stalling/camping tactics only to see conditions worsen.
Even if I read every roll and every approach, it still takes far too long to KO (and this is with me going out for gimps -- characters just recover for free despite what you do).

I love the game and I still think it has loads of potential, but characters without an aerial they can safely land with or normals with decent poking range/speed (which just so happen to be part of the keepaway characters) seem to just get mauled by everyone else in For Glory, and I'm tired of counterpicking Robin so I'll actually have something of my own to throw out (Iggy/Larry's projectiles/bombs are way too slow, but down B sometimes sets up for an attack string and neutral B can combo); he's fun, don't get me wrong, but I prefer mobility.
I can't speak for the whole roster now, but as many times as I've switched up my playstyles and read people like a book, there are some characters that just can't work well on FD, which is why we see so many Little Macs/Rosalumas/Foxes.

The rest of the game could be fine, though (and it most likely is, even though FD now "takes up" a lot more of the selectable stages).
I've had some really good matches on Battlefield and Smash Run's actually a lot of fun despite some of the enemies being ridiculously powerful in proportion to their payout, but I'll probably just hold out for the WiiU version (borrowing a friend's 2DS) since the stages look more interesting (Smashville) and I'll have better control over my character.

I don't believe for a second that my words are fact, so I'd like to hear some stuff from you guys.
What are your thoughts?

Top Bottom