• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For anyone looking to learn about the characters at Best Buy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Get your hands on the 3DS version with a friend. It's a 1v1 setup, but 3DS connection play was super-laggy the whole time in my experience. Either way, you have a Waiting Room where you have to press a certain input to start the match with someone else. If you don't do the L+R+Start (or whatever it is), you can practice and mess around as much as you'd like on the Sandbag.

If you want to have any enjoyment/learn anything from it, just mess with the Sandbag with a friend who also wants to learn about the characters (and therefore would do the same instead of starting the match). From what I've heard, they don't really police the 3DSes very much (and they didn't at my Best Buy), so you could get some quality time to feel out a character and his/her moves. We all want as much data as possible to talk about, so help us out here!

lami

Smash Journeyman
Cool stuff! I'll totally do that when I head there on the 14th. Thanks for the advice!

D

Deleted member

They have demos of the 3DS Version? Well, I know what line I'll be standing in. I am really curious how the game feels on a 3DS.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At mine, people who have played the Wii U version get to play a match on the 3DS version immediately afterward if they want. It may not be the same way for others, but the important thing is to embrace the Waiting Room!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am absolutely playing a match as a priority over sandbag, sorry. I would rather feel out the game than learn slight mechanics which are likely to change in the next 4 and 7 months.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am absolutely playing a match as a priority over sandbag, sorry. I would rather feel out the game than learn slight mechanics which are likely to change in the next 4 and 7 months.
If it's anything like the one I played, you will not really be playing a match. You will be dealing with constant slowdown and something like half a second of input lag. It was really painful--Definitely worse than Brawl WiFi, even on a bad day. I regret wasting my time in that, even in terms of a normal match. Enjoy your time with the Wii U version for actual play with other people.

I'm not asking you to sacrifice anything of worth. When you get to the 3DS line, watch the person in front of you play and you'll probably change your mind. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sadly, the 3DS version probably won't get very far in the competitive multiplayer department if there are going to be connection errors, even for local multiplayer. This is probably why some people consider the 3DS version to be more suited for casual play.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Don't forget we're in beta too. If PSASBR could have its entire scene hosted online with netcode WORSE THEN BRAWL the 3DS will manage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm sure the connection stuff will improve by the time it's actually released, but right not it's not good at all.

Either way, you still get your two minutes (or 3-5 minutes, depending on your connection :( ) after you're done with the Sandbag. Spend as much time as possible on it. Win-win.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just hope I can get a ride to a best buy.... #cityboyproblems

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It seems that different Best Buys have different rules/setups. My Best Buy (in Oregon) only allowed Smash Run against computers. We weren't allowed to play anything else on the 3DS demos.

At the same time, we got two 3min. matches a piece, whereas other Best Buys apparently only gave 2min. matches. So I feel pretty lucky.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The Best Buy I went to had you choose between Wii U or 3DS. So of course I didn't play the 3DS.

I want to know all about my boy Villager. How does he play? Is he fun? Is he good? Let me know!
Villager is pretty difficult to use ... in the free-for-all set-up that they had. Highlight moves for me were the Lloyd Rocket, which deals good damage and allows you to hit from far and control space; the excellent excellent recovery; and the down smash being super fast and useful.
The aerials are the ones I had issues with, particularly hitting with the slingshot. Tilts felt fine. Smash attacks (aside from down Smash) felt like they lacked range, speed or power. Didn't use the pocket since it never came up.
And then there's the tree. I fought in a small stage (Wily's Castle) and it was really hard to set it up. Once you plant it and have it grow, everyone just avoid that whole side of the stage, and once people finally fell there by fortuity, once I was ready to knock it down the tree wilted before I could. I seriously cannot find a good use for that tree with it wilting so fast.

All things considered, I won pretty easily, but I wish to find out more about how villager does in one on one.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I hope that someone who gets to play the demo has all 4 players choose villager and then go on a smaller stage like battlefield so that everyone can plant their trees to take up the whole stage and see how the fight goes.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm sure the connection stuff will improve by the time it's actually released, but right not it's not good at all.

Either way, you still get your two minutes (or 3-5 minutes, depending on your connection :( ) after you're done with the Sandbag. Spend as much time as possible on it. Win-win.
Works for me, definitely worth hoping for improvement! Namco has done some good netcode before, it should be possible!

Is Mario any good in Smash 4? :confused: Because I'm just praying to God that he's more buffed than he was in Brawl.
So far I've seen rather positive reactions to Mario thus far on various forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom