• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Awakening Mafia | GAME OVER: Not Equal To The Challenge

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
@Soup: Obviously I wouldn't make any kills without Dastrn and I agreeing, but I think I'd go with one of the inactives. pawndidater2 would be the first choice, as he's only posted once and that post kind of reeked.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
RNG my toe. Why would you kill Raz?
Did you think Ryker's #5 is serious?

Wow, this moved into serious discussion more quickly than I thought. We figured there'd be more random FoS out the gate.

I suppose we should move right into reaching a town agreement on how we want this game to be run. Please consider the following:

::: Xastrn's GUIDELINES FOR HARMONIOUS TOWN LIVING :::

1) All kills must be made with the consensus of town.
---> Just because there is no official voting mechanic, doesn't mean that daykills should take place without town's consent. The standard rules of Mafia apply. We need honest conversation and firm reads before the end of every Day. Only after a majority of town players has agreed that a kill is valid will any kill take place.

2) All kills must be performed by a hammerer selected by town.
---> As with any other mafia game, avoiding quicklynches is essential. For this reason, no player will initiate a kill without first being selected by town to do so. Only when town has agreed on who should die on a given Day will the Hammerer initiate his attack. This is to prevent scum from waiting for enough town pressure on a player to make a quicklynch, then play it off the next day as the "will of the town."

3) No Han Soloing.
---> Do not, under any circumstance, panic and shoot someone when you are about to be killed by town. Regardless of how sure you are of your scumpick, this behavior CANNOT BE TOLERATED. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to hit a townie in this situation. Town will have no choice but to kill you the next day. EVEN IF you manage hit scum with your panicked shot, you will still sow confusion in town, because everyone will WIFOM without end on whether you simply bussed a scummate or not. Ultimately, you will still die. BREAKING THIS RULE WILL ALWAYS END BADLY FOR TOWN AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED.

Ultimately, these rules are designed to remove the possibility of "accidental" deaths and prevent the scum from running gambits.

Town needs to agree to these rules right now before the Day continues.
Trying to control the game like this silly.

Potassium and dabuz are almost completely inactive.
4 posts for Potassium.
2 posts for dabuz.

What can we do with inactives? The worst games I've ever played ended with inactives still sitting around jacking off instead of playing ball with the rest of us. I have a policy of voting for my pal Ignatius in any game I play with him because he is ALWAYS inactive and coasts, town or scum. I'm putting up with that.
It's just one day so far, so it's ok right now. But we sure as hell better have some action from these 2 tomorrow, or at the very least a really good reason for sitting out of the game for 48 hours by then.

Sokr
kary
soup

Potassium
dabuz

FullMetalLynch
Colonel Stars

Sokr in the green pile with no posts...what?

Ryker's doing some driving (back from a tournament) and won't be back until tonight, be he gave me a brief explanation on his motivation to pair up.

I see nothing in the rules about quoting logs from pairing up, so these are his exact words:

"For the record, it is definitely a defensive maneuver to pair up immediately and you're one of the few people in this game I feel I can stomach for a long period of time and still make a profit out of talking to. However, a lot of the protection the move provides is that it takes a gun out of my hand before I go waving it around and get shot by impulsive town or scum Zen or Rake."
What do you think about such a self-preservative mindset from Ryker? IIRC it's very unusual for him to be so worried about his own life.

Me and you both know this isn't true. You're being more quiet than usual. I would expect you to be much more on top of things but instead you're being passive about everything. Why is this?
Not interested in mechanics discussion and that was most of yesterday's discussion.

was reading back through a bit more closely and I would like to clarify that there are indeed night kills involved in this game from some faction.

Where does it say this?
FML posting pretty much fluff or pairing mechanics stuff at the end of page 5 and all of page 6 (40 PP) is really bothering me.

Xastrn, ignoring post counts completely, is there anyone who stands out as suspicious to you?

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Xastrn, I really wanna know how you are getting your reads off those reasons.

You're calling me hard scum off me making 10 goofy posts, but in that you don't seem to analyze it nor look at what I posted. You post a statistic about it, they are low in word count, but not in what exactly I said. That bugs me, because it seems like you're not trying to read into my posts at all but label them instead.

Why Kantrip is less active than Sokr.

I wanna ask this bluntly, what are you gaining from looking at those numbers alone over the context or wording? Because it looks like you're basing it off numbers instead of content in both cases.

How does this help you get those kinds of reads?
I'd be glad to do a post by post for you to give you why I got the read that I did off of you from your first 10 posts. I will phrase my read in the past tense so as not to imply that it is necessarily my current read, but simply the read I had when I made the post, since that is what is under scrutiny.

Oh the weird mechanics are BIM-like.

Kary did you get anything for your Soup chat? Or what does it lead you to think of the possible and why?
Your first post in the game. Comments on the BiM nature of the game. Nothing too bad there. Both heads of my hydra did so as well. Please see posts #3 and #4, ALL of you, if you want to hear our comments about balancing the evens and odds in a game we are unfamiliar with.
You question wasn't a bad one, but most of us had a TvT read on that conversation already. No major read from this post. NULL at best.
U scum?

Or u my death bear mate?
This post belongs in RVS in the first hour of a game, not 100 posts in. We had content going. You don't need to ask a worthless question at that point. SLIGHT SCUM READ.

You're asking me to to shoot on impulse, well got some bad news for you...
This post says very little, but DOES provide information: you will not be a shooter on impulse. Good info. SLIGHT TOWN READ.

Ah that sucks, I got the role I roll all the time.

Wanna talk about this game?
I hated this post. Posts like "I always get this role." or "I hate this role...why me?" or whatever are not good. It's misinformation. You are either scum pretending to always get vanilla, or you are vanilla pretending to get vanilla, or you are giving away info that you are doc or cop or something. Since the nature of every game changes but only doc or cop are the pretty much guarantees, it would be HIGHLY unlikely that you are claiming to be roleblocker or flavor cop or something, OR that you would want people to have those reads on you. Therefore I saw this as a vanilla claim, genuine or not.
SCUM READ here.
Been a while.

What do you make if the jumps at a Ryker?
Just a question. Nothing wrong with questions. But we usually all preface a question with a statement like "I didn't see it that way. What makes you jump at Ryker?" That is by no means absolute, and many people just ask bald-faced questions in one shot posts so this isn't a huge deal to me, but it ALSO doesn't provide anything about you that we need. The theme of your posts in this stream was that you were providing nothing about yourself, other than a vanilla claim.
Slight contribution to scum read here, but in isolation NULL READ
I am, you ok with me shooting Pawn if he pulls a vinyl this game with lurking?
I don't know the vinyl reference, but I DO like the idea of shooting inactives day 1 if they don't get off their asses and post. Still, another post with out giving information about yourself. The "I am." at the beginning was in reference to Raziek calling you out for being the worst for making "oh I always get this role" posts every game. Clearly it isn't true if you do it every game, just based on sheer numbers. Does anyone have anything to offer in terms of RR's recent roles? I'd like to know if you happen to have had vanilla townie like 4 games in a row or something. Dice rolls are a ***** sometimes.
NULL READ, other than the fact that it contributes to the "I'm not saying anything about myself" motif.
Kary and Dabuz jumped at Ryker from what I remember, I found Kary's to be more odd given later posts.
Again, nothing about you. Just mentioning something that happened. People jumped at Ryker slightly (barely even happened) for being inactive. Gives me a slight RR+Ryker scum team tell in my head. OR a Raziek+Ryker scum team in your head, since you asked him directly, and were perhaps trying to gauge his thoughts on the (barely existent) idea of the attack on Ryker.
SLIGHT SCUM READ here. Plus the lack of information or opinion coming from you. Consistent with everything else I've said.

Dabuz did not jump at Ryker. He agreed with Kary on the notion of being pissed a quickshots, as I read it.

Kary's read to be little more than RvS/kneejerk reaction to Ryker doing silly things at me.
This is Raziek's response, pointing out the same thing I am. No one jumped at Ryker in any serious way.

I already claimed so too late for that.

It benefits what I wanna talk to Rake about.
Say little, but I see something here that I won't comment on for now.
VERY Slight TOWN READ.
I suppose it is early in this stage then.

Who would you shoot at this stage if you absolutely had to and why?
You were responding to Raziek's post that I linked above.
I didn't like how you immediately backed down and you did so softly. I find the phrases "I suppose" or "Fair enough" when backing down to be an attempt to be soft and reasonable by scum, more frequently than not. Which sucks, because I use the phrase "fair enough" in conversation a lot in normal life, especially in arguments.
Another short question, and another post goes by without you making any reads, being challenging, or putting up any sort of information about yourself whatsoever.

GRAND THEME: You are hiding behind these posts. You want people to remember you posting, and reply to your questions so they remember you asked them, but you don't want to put your neck out there and fight on D1. Most of the best town players I've seen put their asses on the line D1 because they nail a read by lynch time. Most of the common scum techniques that any of us would teach a new player is to have the appearance of activity without saying too much D1, so you are in effect coasting without having to keep your post count low or stay out of things.

My overall read on you is scum. Not HARD scum wild shot now, but you're on my scum list until I see things change. With that said I don't get to leave a vote on you, so one individual player's scum list hardly matters unless other people also see things the same way. You can care or not, and that's fine. If there was a consensus on another player that also looked scummy in my eyes, I'd get behind that kill and leave you alive if needed. But I'll push more and more for you if we don't have a lot of content from you D2.

In the meantime, IGMEOY.

FullMetalLynch

anomandaris_rake|orboknown
Says kary jumped on ryker for being inactive when that wasn't the reason why.

Says he doesn't expect content from ryu until d2 when its the beginning of d1.

The hell xast

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Trying to control the game like this silly.
It wasn't a serious attempt at control. It was a proposition of rules. We already stated several times that we worded it strongly to see how people would react. People have reacted. We've gotten reads from the mechanics discussions and the fallout thereof. Hopefully, many of you have as well. Mission #1 accomplished. There is also some moderate consensus that these general concepts are pro-town, but cannot in any way be absolutes. We agree. Mission #2 accomplished.
In my opinion, we can move on from that conversation now as we've achieved our goals with the proposal.

Sokr in the green pile with no posts...what?
Sokr was in the green pile with 1 post. Not 0. And I got a very good vibe off of his 1 post. I addressed why, I believe, immediately after, so check back to page 3 or 4 for whenever that was. If I didn't say why more clearly, call me out again, and I'll go back and be sure to be thorough.

Regarding the green pile, we ALL sort of make these piles in our head on a sliding scale of town or scum. The reads in the first 24 hours are by nature pretty weak. The reads by D3 will be much more solid. I should have just posted it all in shades of grey if I wanted to get that point across more clearly, except our background is grey...

What do you think about such a self-preservative mindset from Ryker? IIRC it's very unusual for him to be so worried about his own life.
That made me laugh out loud, and I don't even know the guy.

Not interested in mechanics discussion and that was most of yesterday's discussion.
While that is fine, don't give yourself a free out to make 3 posts or whatever and just stay out of all of it. There was more to be discussed than mechanics. You could have called us out for our introduction of our proposal. You could have commented on kary vs soup. You could have picked a player that looked scummyish to you and challenged a few things. You could have read people's reactions to the mechanics discussions and commented on those.
There's no problem with having little interest in mechanics discussion, but don't think you'll be let off completely by staying out of all of it. I hope at the very least you were reading closely instead of just skimming and waiting for the mechanics talks to be over.
Were you reading thoroughly?

Xastrn, ignoring post counts completely, is there anyone who stands out as suspicious to you?
Ignoring post counts, I think Red Ryu's posts are scummy. I just made that case more clearly above. I also did not like Colonel Stars early posts but I have since ignored his behavior because of more pressing reads. I'll reread the thread soon with him in mind and see what I think.

I won't be making every play I make based on post counts. As long as people are reasonably active, there's no reason to do so. If requested by a handful of you, I won't even post them more often than every 72 hours, just for the sake of putting information out there for town. I'm spending a LOT of time keeping things categorized, and I am using a spreadsheet with 13 bundled if statements in what will be thousands of cells to be extracting the post count data as well as average posts per player. I also know post numbers for each post made by each player, so I can use that to quickly find when people posted things.

Thank the stars I'm unemployed right now, although I have a C# development job interview tomorrow morning, so I might be back to the grind and spend less time on the game at that point.

FullMetalLynch

Okay? If i have something to say i will say it.
Xast,for such an admittedly slight read, why do you have so much over all of ten posts that are mostly null.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Says kary jumped on ryker for being inactive when that wasn't the reason why.

Says he doesn't expect content from ryu until d2 when its the beginning of d1.

The hell xast
You are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. You can read smarter than that, so I won't call you dumb. I'll call you dishonest. I said in that post and in my most recent post that he is at the top of my scum list. I made that whole post about his activity in his earlier posts up until when I called him on his fluff, since people thought it was about his post count, which I specifically said at the very beginning was average (10 posts...average was 10.166666)

1. I did not say anything about like that about Kary in that post, and I barely mentioned him, only in passing. Quote me if I'm wrong. I just did a ctrl-f and reread the content surrounding his name. I suggest you do likewise. I expect a response on this. You are fabricating something that didn't happen.

2. I did not say in any sense that I don't expect content from Red Ryu until D2. Here's the quote:
If there was a consensus on another player that also looked scummy in my eyes, I'd get behind that kill and leave you alive if needed. But I'll push more and more for you if we don't have a lot of content from you D2.

I said that I had a pretty good scum read on him, but acknowledged that I don't get to leave a vote, only a FOS or IGMEOY. I acknowledged that the game mechanics allow for wild shots but stated clearly that I wouldn't do so, and that if there was a better consensus from the group on another player that I felt was scum material than I would be willing to wait a Day on fighting hard to hit RR given another target with more people targeting, with the intent on being aggressive D2 against Red Ryu until either my read was completely changed, or some new information came into light that gave us a better target, or something.

Use better reading glasses if you need to, or sharpen up and pay more attention. It's the afternoon. You've had time to wake up.

OR

Quit trying to twist my words.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Okay? If i have something to say i will say it.
Xast,for such an admittedly slight read, why do you have so much over all of ten posts that are mostly null.
There's a question that makes sense. Thanks.
All of my NULL posts were only NULL in isolation. It's the combination of the parts to make the whole that add the scum flavor to it all. A few short posts with questions is excusable (ie. kary, you, etc.) because you have given us a very vast number of posts, many in depth, to get a read on. I feel that RR has actively avoided this. Hence the NULL reads being added up to a net negative on him.

@Sokr, I see you lurking. Get up in here.

FullMetalLynch

I'll give you two.
But kary called ryker out on his extremely early pairing with raz and there was nothing about inactivity in those statements. And your post stated "people jumped at ryker for being inactive" when that wasn't the case at all.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
I forget my font color sometimes. It's default on my main account, but since Xatres uses that greenish yellow color or whatever, and I use orange, we leave this account neutral and just do our best to remember the font color. Sorry if forgetting to add it causes confusion, although I'm guessing you guys are able to tell us apart already. I'm more aggressive early. He picks up steam and rolls harder and harder as we go. Also, he almost never forgets his font color.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
I'll give you two.
But kary called ryker out on his extremely early pairing with raz and there was nothing about inactivity in those statements. And your post stated "people jumped at ryker for being inactive" when that wasn't the case at all.
Here's the quote you're referring to:
Again, nothing about you. Just mentioning something that happened. People jumped at Ryker slightly (barely even happened) for being inactive. Gives me a slight RR+Ryker scum team tell in my head. OR a Raziek+Ryker scum team in your head, since you asked him directly, and were perhaps trying to gauge his thoughts on the (barely existent) idea of the attack on Ryker.
SLIGHT SCUM READ here. Plus the lack of information or opinion coming from you. Consistent with everything else I've said.

Raziek addressed that dabuz never jumped at Ryker. I stated clearly that it (barely even happened.) You deliberately left out the word "slightly" as well as the parenthetical clause. This is all right here. Just QUOTE me and then you don't have to (get to?) misrepresent what I say.

Just be responsible to what I say if you want to quote or reference me. All I'm asking.

FullMetalLynch

Point was still wrong. There was an indepth discussion about soup and ryker that had nothing to do with inactivity

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I'll give you two.
Is there any point you're trying to make out of this?

@Xastrn: Your explanation that Sokr gives you a town vibe off one post isn't much, but w/e, it's early in Day 1 and there's little to go on.

FullMetalLynch

that xastrn is wrong with a lot of his statements and hes using way to much ammo for so weak points

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Zen replaces Colonel Stars!

Current Roster:
Kary
Raziek supported by: BRB Not Posting
Red Ryu supported by: FullMetalLynch
dabuz
pawndidater2
Xastrn
Zen supported by: soup
Sokr supported by: Potassium

Actions Taken:
BRB Not Posting Pairs Up with Raziek at 5:23am EST, 10/27/13
soup Pairs Up with Colonel Stars at 11:39am EST, 10/27/13
Potassium Pairs Up with Sokr at 8:30pm EST, 10/27/13
FullMetalLynch Pairs Up with Red Ryu at 2:29am EST, 10/28/13

Sokr

Smash Journeyman
Has BRB posted at all since Ryker paired up with Raz?

@pawndidtater2, start posting. Now. You've had more than enough time to develop a read on someone. What is it and why? What is your opinion on dabuz?

@dabuz, what is your opinion on Potassium?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Because it seems like you're just pairing now because it's cool and trendy and you don't have a reason for it other than that. I had more in mind than just reading Colonel Stars and talking privately, and my whole argument with Kary was because of this. I feel people are just pairing with the obvious choices because they either want someone they feel they can rely on or someone they feel they can manipulate. For example, Potassium jumping to pair with Sokr bothers me. I'm not sure how I feel about Ryu jumping to pair with you but if this keeps up then we'll have the thread deserted because everyone is too busy sucking the tit of their partner. That's not what I want.
Why does me pairing with Sokr bother you? We are good friends IRL and I am confident in my ability to read him if I can get some conversation with him 1 on 1 where he's not influenced by everyone else in the thread.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
@Circus

Prod request to ryker/gova

They can make a new hybrid at this point. Or Gova can post and we can deal with it. Or ryker can post and we'll deal with it. 44 hours with nothing is no good.

pawndidater2

Smash Journeyman
If there's anyone I don't like right now it's Xastrn. @Xastrn What about Ryu's posts since #132?

@Sokr Null on Dabuz thusfar. Until this page it looks like he was just trying to be here without saying anything or even reading thoroughly since he didn't see your post or two prior to now.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
I did a reread on pawnpertater3 just now and it took me like an hour. (just kidding 35 seconds tops...)

Hey sorry I'm kind of lurking, I tend to do that, especially early game. It's in my blood. The same blood that is all over my new avatar's face and making me question my decision to use this as an avatar.

I'm going to trust the good Colonel on the rules thing. If he says they're pro scum I have no ground to argue on. Activity based reads are not something we should be worrying about yet, especially if we're not even going to look at the content of the posts. Can't think of anything else to talk about without taking a few minutes to get some quotes, I got stuff to do. I'll be on this afternoon.

Also

Holy **** is anyone going to get my name right on the first try.
Sorry I'm lurking is not an excuse. Don't. If it's in your blood, you should expect to die more often and lose for your faction more often.

I don't like the way your first move is an apology for lurking, followed by a statement that you'll NOT be thinking for yourself and simply following Colonel's opinion. That's non-committal, and gives you an out at all points if you keep it up. You can always say "don't look at me! I was just following so-and-so..." Man up and make your argument if you have one. Or say "I read what he said and I agree 100%." But saying "i'm going to trust...if he says...i have no ground to argue on." Yes you do. You are every bit a player in this game as the rest of us, despite only posting 1/10th of the average posts per player.

You're denying that activity based reads are not something to worry about yet. Conveniently said from a guy who is only posting more than a player who literally hasn't posted at all the entire game except to say "PW Johns. We'll sort it out"
You also said "especially if we're not even going to look at the content of the posts. See THE WHOLE THREAD for examples of me and anyone else making reads based on content, even when we mention activity.

If there's anyone I don't like right now it's Xastrn. @Xastrn What about Ryu's posts since #132?

@Sokr Null on Dabuz thusfar. Until this page it looks like he was just trying to be here without saying anything or even reading thoroughly since he didn't see your post or two prior to now.
FML asked you a question. About this. You should answer him. He isn't one to just let questions go unanswered without putting more pressure on you. Nor am I. Give me a solid post on your read on me. Feel free to go as in depth as the rest of us have been willing to when making a case. I swear if it's a 1 paragraph case making vague statements with no quotes then I'll pick apart every word you say until you're dead.

When I see that posts, I'll address your question to me about my case on RR. I've been thorough. Your turn.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
As Dastrn said, I did a thread reread and picked up on something related to Potassium's latest post.

because it seems like you're just pairing now because it's cool and trendy and you don't have a reason for it other than that. I had more in mind than just reading Colonel Stars and talking privately, and my whole argument with Kary was because of this. I feel people are just pairing with the obvious choices because they either want someone they feel they can rely on or someone they feel they can manipulate. For example, Potassium jumping to pair with Sokr bothers me. I'm not sure how I feel about Ryu jumping to pair with you but if this keeps up then we'll have the thread deserted because everyone is too busy sucking the tit of their partner. That's not what I want.
Why does me pairing with Sokr bother you? We are good friends IRL and I am confident in my ability to read him if I can get some conversation with him 1 on 1 where he's not influenced by everyone else in the thread.
I'm curious why Soup would assume other people were pairing up for no reason when he'd already spent plenty of time earlier in the Day talking about how useful it could be.

I think people are forgetting that Pairing Up doesn't just mean a meat-shield for yourself, it also means private communication and being able to keep someone in check. Guess the reason why I just paired with the Zen/Vandy hydea.
I honestly don't see why others aren't taking advantage of this to be honest. This isn't about alignment, this is about being smart.
Soup has a noted history in this thread defending people who pair up and encouraging other players to do so. He's consistently mentioned that it can help with reads, allow players to take advantage of the trading mechanic, and allow townies to protect themselves from kills.

After all those comments, for him to suddenly criticize others for doing what he suggested doesn't add up. He also expressed concern that players would run off and hide in QTs to "suckle at their partner's teet," and then immediately turned around and said he trusts players to share what is said in QTs.

@Soup: Care to clear up the contradictions?

Top Bottom