• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighter Alternate/Skin Suggestion Thread

How should DLC be handled

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
So my idea for Smash IV DLC is that Fighters themselves should be FREE, periodically released (perhaps one every three-four months). Fighters must be free-of-charge to be most equitable & fair to everyone (also, competitively viable).

Development should be funded by the release of Fighter Alternate/Skin Microtransactions... many acting similar to how Alph/Olimar are in-game.

Examples include: Bowser > Dry Bowser or Peach > Daisy

Some "character swaps" would require much more design/effort (e.g. Dry Bowser v. Daisy), so different prices should be charged for various 'alternate tiers' (think, League of Legends). Please note, these prices exist merely for illustration.

Tier I (simple accessory/color adjustments) - $1.99
Tier II (minor costume/model adjustments) - $2.99
Tier III (entirely changed costume/model) - $4.99

Please help me come up with a complete list of viable Alternates/Skins!

Bowser - Dry Bowser, t1
Captain Falcon - Black Shadow, t2*
Falco/Fox - Krystal & Wolf, t2* & t2*
Kirby - Yarn Kirby, t2
Lucina - Chrom, t3

Luigi - Mr. L, t1
Mario - NES Mario, t3
Marth - Roy, t3
Mega Man - Bass, Battle Network, Legends, & X, t2, t2, t2, & t2
Meta Knight - Galacta Knight, t2
Ness - Lucas & Paula, t2* & t3
Alph/Olimar - Brittany & Louie, t1** & t1**
Palutena - Viridi, t1* ***
Peach - Daisy, t2
Pikachu - Pokémon OR/AS Outfits, t2
Sheik - Impa, t2* ****
Sonic - Metal Sonic & Shadow, t1 & t1
Toon Link - Young Link, t3
Yoshi - Boshi & Yarn Yoshi, t1 & t2

*assuming unplayable
**pricing-exception in that the faces/outfits require only very minor edits
***color-swap/dress alteration could suffice imho (must include hair-color)
****personally know little of the character, however the look/scale fits imho

What do you all think?!

Last edited:

Rev_Cap

Smash Rookie
None. Anything not already on the cart should be included in free patches.
This is the problem with Nintendo Fans, I for one am a huge Nintendo fan, but I understand the need for extra content. Costumes such as these do not hinder gameplay at all, and gives the player a since of uniqueness or self value. A perfect example is League of Legends, a completely free game that just so happens to offer skins that appeal differently to every gamer. Why wouldn't you want the extra option given to you if not even have it at all? Either way one you have an option to buy the extra goodies, or two your still left with the same thing but no choice in the first place?

Khao

Smash Lord
Isn't fighters for free and skins paid kind of completely backwards? I would never pay for a small aesthetical change, but I'd be all over a new character as soon as they'd get announced.

Also, not only fighters for free, but every two-three months? This isn't a charity, you know.

Last edited:

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Isn't fighters for free and skins paid kind of completely backwards? I would never pay for a small aesthetical change, but I'd be all over a new character as soon as they'd get announced.

Also, not only fighters for free, but every two-three months? This isn't a charity, you know.
I'm aware it isn't a charity but if free characters are to be fueled by cosmetic microtransactions, the developer's ought to be pumping out characters at a reasonable rate in response. And trust me, people will buy up Alternates/Skins like crazy, like hotcakes. "Bowser mains, look! Here's Dry Bowser, you know you want to be awesome & play as him!" or "Roy made it back into Smash! Buy him, he's an alt. for Ike... how incredible!".

Free Fighters is the only way Nintendo would ever pass DLC characters for this game imho. There's too many kids who've cried against DLC characters b/c they don't have a credit card with which to purchase the fighters, nor the cash. There are too many competitive Brawlers who would be outraged at the idea they have to continually be purchasing to practice match-ups against newly released fighters. Or feel it's unfair they don't have access to that new OP character just because they can't afford it.

I've heard so many people already exclaim against the inclusion of paid fighters that I don't see characters added any other way than to make them free... but Nintendo won't make free fighters for no return, hence Alternate/Skin microtransactions.

It's the most perfect, infallible solution. Win-win.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I wouldn't mind paying for characters I really like. I'd guess that they'd have free 'compatibility packs' which are patched in so you can play online against someone who bought a character you didn't - it'll allow you to play against the character, but you won't have it. Injustice did that for their character DLCs, and they included costumes free in the compatibility packs.

I recognize the amount of work that goes into the creation of a new character from scratch, so I think that asking for a free character is ridiculous. I know DLC has a bad name because of EA or other companies, but for a fighting game the allows brand new characters, that actually does expand and enhance the gameplay and thus is perfectly valid as a paid item. And it's Smash, so plenty of people would buy it. Yeah, there'll be people who complain that they can't, but the economics will show that paid character DLC is a viable option, they just need to take it. I'd actually prefer if there will be more skins/full characters coming (I still really want to see that Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf with his glorious mane) since it would allow us to have expanded rosters and much more replayability - I was actually hoping we'd get DLC in Brawl.

I just don't want to get my hopes up. I've really been hoping for Mewtwo or Ridley, and was thoroughly disappointed. Here, Sakurai's not even mentioned DLC - the only recent DLC from Nintendo is the Animal Crossing/Zelda characters available in Mario Kart 8 (which did make me buy the game, since I can't wait to have Link speeding around the track).

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Valid as a paid item I agree, however I'm just sure Sakurai won't want to piss off thousands more of his fans even further.

The paid DLC debate on Miiverse & here has been pretty much 80/20 against I would say.

Hence again why microtransactions could fund the creation of new fighters, with ease at that.

There's a whole wealth of things they could do... so many different looks/outfits for Link, Mario, Mega Man, & so many others.

I mean, I've already got a pretty great list going & it barely scratches the surface of cosmetic customizations they could offer over time.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
It'd make sense they have DLC to keep the game fresh & relevant over the years. I really hope Sakurai comes around to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom