• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastfall Uair edgeguarding- possible strategy

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hoy there mates. Found a possible new Dedede edgeguarding strat that I think could be grand. It's a fastfall uair. It covers a lot of space, is very disjointed, can KO, and lingers. I think it may have lots of potential. This isn't the best showing of it but it's the only clip I could find after the update got rid of my old replays (have not played much in this patch yet).

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
fast fall nair certainly isn't new, but it isn't very good for edgeguarding unless you want to do it like Luigi does with his cyclone to bring people down. A F-air there probably would have killed. But if your opponent wants to fly above you then by all means catch him with u-air.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Huh, sorry, suppose I haven't followed the meta that well - I told another D3 main about it and he didn't know of people using fastfall upair. I've had some success with the move but I plan to try it out more to see if it's as good as I think it is. I don't think a fair would have killed personally by the way, though I could be mistaken.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Even if the fair wouldn't have killed, your opponent would have had to do more moves to return to stage, and take a longer time too, in which you could follow up with more air attacks, or alternativley return to stage yourself and continue your off stage game closer to the stage.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Even if the fair wouldn't have killed, your opponent would have had to do more moves to return to stage, and take a longer time too, in which you could follow up with more air attacks, or alternativley return to stage yourself and continue your off stage game closer to the stage.
If you can land the fair it likely is better in most cases. Thing is sometimes I think it's easier to hit this than a fair. Even if you only count the 2nd half of uair (the part likely to link into the final hit) it still lingers for longer. Also opponents will rarely expect someone to edgeguard from underneath-ish so I've noticed some cases where it's safer to go for this I think.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
DDD usually can stay in the air longer than his opponent. What I do is fast fall down upon my opponent with b-air after a few empty air hops forcing the opponent to act towards the stage, where if he air dodges it will turn out bad for him.

Sending your opponent upwards only makes it easier for them to return to the stage though.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Oh I do that too- it's definitely an amazing tool what you have described, and I'm also a fan of fastfall fair stuff as well. Sometimes there just isn't enough time to get into position to do a bair though, even with D3's stellar fastfall, or for some other reason landing a back air is quite iffy. As for the sending him up thing it still takes them a good while to get back so I find you generally have time to do something.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Whatever works for you. Just crush them offstage. On for glory I feel bad for taking advantage of others offstage with DDD, because it's just that much harder, especially when the opponent isn't good enough to really challenge you on-stage. But when they can, it's due payback.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Whatever works for you. Just crush them offstage. On for glory I feel bad for taking advantage of others offstage with DDD, because it's just that much harder, especially when the opponent isn't good enough to really challenge you on-stage. But when they can, it's due payback.
Haha thanks mate, I shall try to keep doing that. I don't feel that guilty in For Glory since the lag does not seem to help D3- 1 mistake caused by lag and D3's framedata ensures he gets punished. Definitely a rough day for them though when you manage to do things like block 1/2 their recovery options with UGordo and then fair when they try to escape. Also yeah I always feel bad when I fight a For Glory Falcon due to the offstage stuff.

Top Bottom