• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intergalactic Parasite - Omega Metroid for Smash DLC!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Introduction

When most fans think of the metroid, they always think of the standard Metroid: The life-draining flying parasites. In fact, it was often what came to mind for me as well. When looking for possible Metroid reps, most of us go for the obvious. Samus' foes, like Ridley, or the Space pirates, or even to the hunters of of the Prime series. While this is all well and good, and all of those options have their own right to be in this ballot, and have VERY good reasons to be... this is an opportunity to get WHO/WHATEVER we want in Smash as a fighter, when you really think about it... When you look at the standard Metroid, it meets most criteria as a fighter:

1. It is prominent in it's series. In fact they REPRESENT it, with the series being named after them.
2. They are recognizable. Aside from Ridley, or the pirates, they are the most recurring creatures in the series.

Of course, that is where it's advantages fall short, and it faces a problem...: They aren't suited as an actual fighter.. Due to their nature, they have very little movepool possibilities, despite their recognition and importance in the series.

Under normal circumstances, this is where things would end. However, something dawned on me.. something that many have often overlooked about these creatures...

The Metroid isn't fully grown. It is the larval stage. What is really considered to be their final stage, is a much more deadly creature:

The Omega Metroid. Yes, this is a campaign thread not for the infants we all normally think of, but for their older more formidable stage!
Why?

When you take out the likes of Ridley, and the Space Pirates, Metroids are one of the most prominent and recognized creatures in the series. I mean the franchise IS named after them after all. They are also of a decent size.. Which I'll get into in a moment. With the help of the Smash Fighter Ballot, the chances of bringing this concept to life are even more likely.

Another good reason for their inclusion is the variety it would bring to the Metroid line-up. Lately it feels like the series has gotten the shortest straw when compared to the other franchises in the series.. only packing two reps, both of whom, while indeed having different play styles, are technically the same person/character... (I mean they WERE formally tied together through the transformation mechanic after all, if I may remind everyone..)

While Omegas are at least usually twice the size of a human, since the metroid are a species (unlike Ridley whom is often a single entity, though it has been shown he has his own cycles... I won't go into that though.), and sizes aren't consistent in Smash, this doesn't matter. An Omega Metroid roughly a size in between it's standard size and the Zeta stage would work perfectly.. In fact they would fit fairly well along other heavy weights like Bowser, or King Dedede.

Moveset

The Omega Metroid is a formidable opponent in battle. Though slow on the ground, they have an unexpectedly good air game, due to their levitation capabilities..

In the spoilers below I will go over my own possible moveset for the creature.
Ω Metroid Possible Moveset:

* - Smash unique move (There is only one of these in this moveset, and it's only a possible move. I'll get into this later)

Overview

The Omega metroid is a slow moving, but powerful heavy weight, with a surprising ability: Though slow on the ground, due to it's levitation capabilities, it has a surprisingly decent recovery and air game, alarmingly unlike most large characters of it's size.. this can throw many opponents off gaurd who go in expecting an opponent easy to knock off the stage. The Omega Metroid is a fighter that should NOT be underestimated. It has less powerful, but faster attacks in the air, and slow starting powerful attacks on the ground. Players will need to focus on keeping the metroid grounded to deal up enough damage to knock it out.

SIZE
It's size can be roughly described as either about the size of bowser, or just a bit larger.

(Note: If the size doesn't look "quite" like what I described in this... blame the vector image XD. I couldn't really find any renders of the Omega Metroid that could do as well in a side by side comparison unfortunately.)

STANDARD MOVEMENT
It's walk and dash are slow, just what you would expect from a heavyweight. HOWEVER, it's jumps are more effective than you would first expect.

First Jump: Leaps into the air with it's powerful hind legs.
Second Jump: levitates upwards slightly (sorta similar to the second jump of mewtwo or ness, just slightly shorter)
Jump note: Similar to Princess peach's hover, the Omega Metroid will ALSO be able to hover in mid air for a short time by holding the jump button (as a homage to it's debut in Metroid 2)

Walk: The Metroid's walk is about the speed of most other heavy weight characters.
Dash: It's dash is also about the speed of Bowser's

GROUND GAME
The metroid's ground game consists of somewhat slow attacks that can be hard to land. These attacks should be planned out, as though they are slow, if they connect, like most other heavy weights, they can hit like a train.

A: swipes with one of it's claws
AAA: Swipes with it's claws, and follows up with a bite
Rapid A: A series of swipes
Dash A: The Omega Metroid rams into the opponent

Up tilt: It bites upward with it's sharp teeth. Another attack with considerable range, though it's not as strong as the down tilt.
Side tilt: The metroid whips around and swings it's tail into the opponent. Though short in range, and a bit slow, the attack packs a considerable punch due to the weight of the creature's tail.
Down tilt: The metroid bites forward. due to it's long teeth, the attack has a good reach.

Up smash: The metroid rams it's head into opponents above it
Side Smash: Does a powerful slash attack with it's claws
Down Smash: The metroid swings around it's tail. It's a bit slow to start, but can attack in either direction.

AIR GAME
Due to it's levitation abilities, the creature has an alarmingly effective air game. It can attack at a faster rate in the air than on the ground, though it's air attacks do lack a bit of the knockback and power it's ground moves have (save for one, which I'll get into in a moment). Due to this, it's air game can be useful for racking up damage on the opponent.

Neutral air: The metroid kicks upward with it's hind legs. (The attack has a circular effect, thus it can connect from a lot of different angles. It is at it's strongest if it connects directly above the player)
Up air: The metroid bites upward. an attack with good range.
Down air: The metroid slams one of it's hind legs downwards. The attack can meteor over 50% damage.
Forward air: Slashes twice with it's arms. The attack has a decent reach
Back air: The metroid attempts to attack with it's tail. This attack has bad range due to it's short
tail.. but if it does connect, MAN does it hurt! Opponents will need to be cautious of this attack, as it does a bit more knockback and damage than the other air moves at the metroid's disposal.

GRABS
Players should be especially cautious of it's grabs. it's grab has a good reach, and it's attacks can vary in
damage.

Grab: Grabs with it's jaws
Grab attack: Bites the opponent. Can attack more than once, dealing small amounts of damage.

Up throw: Flings them up above them and spits acid at them.
Down throw: The metroid slams them into the ground, and stomps them with heavy force.
Forward throw: flings them forward in a circular movement.
Back throw: It flings them behind the player, and the metroid (somewhat comically)
roundhouse kicks them with one of it's hindlegs

SPECIALS

B: The metroid fires acid at the opponent. The attack can be charged
Up B: Using it's levitation, it levitates upward. It has a short distance, but moves at a vertical angle at a decent speed. It can also use this to ram into opponents as well as for recovery.
Side B: I had two ideas for this one.
*A. Taking a hint from it's younger cousins, the Omega metroid
attempts to grab an opponent with it's jaws. If the attack connects, the player
can drain 2% to 4% of health from the opponent. This attack's effectiveness varies depending on
how much damage the Omega Metroid has accumulated. The higher the damage, the more the metroid can heal.
Downside: The attack has a bit of a slow start up, thus it can't be spammed. The user will have to
time the attack well to get full use out of it. (The highest the attack can drain from the opponent is 40%)
B. The metroid charges up and braces itself, and charges forward into a powerful ram attack. It has slow start up, but can
have high KO potential when the opponent has a lot of damage accumulated.
Down B: Can summon one of three metroid types to aid it in battle:
1. A standard slow flying metroid, half the size of the assist. It will attempt to
fly over to an opponent and sap away some of their health. Unlike the assist,
these metroids are easier to take out. This is the most common creature summoned
2. Alpha Metroid. Fly faster than the metroid, but try to ram into opponents rather than drain energy.
A little less common than the larval metroid
3. Gamma Metroid. A ground based summon. Less frequent than the other two. This metroid has a speed inbetween it's
two younger cousins, but will attack not only by trying to ram into the opponent, but it can also shoot lightning bolts!

FINAL SMASH

Final Smash: The Omega Metroid enters a cocoon, and quickly pupates into the dreaded Queen! In this form, the metroid is immune to knockback similar to Giga Bowser, and has a lot of tricks up it's sleeves. For starters, when the smash activates, the queen begins producing metroids (a bit smaller in size than the assist), upwards to 5, that will go out and cause havoc on the small fighters. The queen also has a deadly Fire burst attack that can pack a punch when it hits. When the Final smash is over, the metroid reverts back to an Omega, and any metroids still active disappear.

Final smash Downside: The queen is significantly slower than the Omega Metroid's standard form due to it's massive size, and this can end up getting heavy
damage if it doesn't defend itself..

Palutena's Guidance
Pit: WOAH! What is THAT thing!? It's huge!

Palutena: That is an Omega Metroid Pit.

Pit: Wait that's a metroid?.. Umm.. are we thinking of the same creature here Lady Palutena?..

Palutena: Of course.

Pit: I thought Metroids were those flying things that like to try to eat my face..

Viridi: Come on Pit. Haven't you ever wondered "why" they do that?

Pit: Well come to think of it.. I guess so.

Viridi: Metroid's feed on energy at an early age so they can grow into their older forms.

Pit: So sorta like a caterpiller to a butterfly?

Viridi: Yes, just not as pretty.

Palutena: Look pit, the Omega Metroid is a deadly opponent. Be very cautious when you engage it..
It may not look like it, but it is surprisingly agile in the air. It's slow attacks on the ground
can hit like a truck too if you're careless.

Pit: I can't believe I'm saying this.. but I liked them better as a flying leech..

Supporter list

<Currently not applicable>

Conclusion
With that, things are done. I will gladly accept suggestions for more movesets, as well as other possible additions to the OP as well!​

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's better than most suggestions I see for Metroid characters, and it's defiantly an important player in the series. maybe it's just because I haven't played Fusion, but I cant think of anything moveset-wise, and while Metroids ARE important, they wouldn't be feasible in their most recognizable form. not to mention my namesake being much more desired, and ...DEBATABLY more important. but you already know all of this.

Ultimately, I'd love it, but there are a lot of other characters I'd rather vote for. Ultimately, I'd need a moveset for further persuasion

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well, it's better than most suggestions I see for Metroid characters, and it's defiantly an important player in the series. maybe it's just because I haven't played Fusion, but I cant think of anything moveset-wise, and while Metroids ARE important, they wouldn't be feasible in their most recognizable form. not to mention my namesake being much more desired, and ...DEBATABLY more important. but you already know all of this.

Ultimately, I'd love it, but there are a lot of other characters I'd rather vote for. Ultimately, I'd need a moveset for further persuasion
Thanks for the reply. From what I've noticed, due to the nature of the series, Metroid has always suffered from one thing:

It's character pool for Smash. While there are a lot of candidates to choose from, some of them have only appeared in the series once, and only a few are actually recurring. (We already know whom one of em is :p). So I suppose I'll just sorta list em here.

At this point, there are six possible fighters: Ridley, A Space Pirate, A Metroid, Dark Samus, Sylux, or Rundas (Sorry if I missed any campaigns guys! If you have a campaign for something/someone I didn't mention feel free to bring it up!) So, I'll give a rundown on those real quick, and we'll look at the good, and the bad with these guys. (The latter aren't necessarily detractions by the way, just obstacles. If they can be overcome, their chances are even better.)

1. Ridley, Leader of the space pirates.
The good: Arch nemesis of the series' main protagonist. Decent movepool. Important and prominent in his series.
The bad: We of course know of the many detractions thrown against the guy, though this isn't the problem at hand, however: there is one thing that is a problem right now:

This is quoted from Sakurai, on why Ridley is currently what he is in Smash 4:
"I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer," Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. "It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely."

“Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,” Sakurai explained.

This here is a very heavy weight against the campaign. We would have to hope that Sakurai would change his mind for the ballot, and try to find a work around...

2. The space pirates themselves. (Or "a Space Pirate" anyway.. lol)
The good: Recurring foes in the series, often important in the plot. (especially in the prime series) Have a Surprisingly large moveset pool, and a lot of possibilities for mechanics due to their vast different incarnations throughout the series.
The bad: One would need to be convinced that they are good material for the task. As some may see them as lowly grunts, despite their possibilities.

3. Metroids
The good: Prominent and important in the series, and they are recurring!
The bad: Suffer from being impractical as a fighter.. (at least concerning the larval forms)

After that, we have a few other possibilities from the Prime series.

1. Dark Samus
The good: Prominent in the trilogy, and important to the plot. One could say she even represents it very well.
The bad: On one hand, if work were put into it, she could be a unique fighter from Samus.. however on another, there is the possibility the team could take the easy way out, and she could end up as a semi clone... (And really, with a series that already is suffering from a need for variety, this probably wouldn't be a good thing..)

2. Sylux
The good: Could be a unique character, with the consideration of his shock coil, and other unique features.
The bad: Like Dark Samus, he also suffers from the likely hood of becoming a clone/semi clone.. There is also the fact he is a one shot character, only (so far) appearing in the series in one game: Metroid Prime Hunters. Whether this affects his chances are unkown.

3. Rundas
The good: Good possibility for a unique moveset due to his ice based combat. Was a memorable character for many who played Corruption.
The bad: Like Sylux, Rundas is also a one shot character, having only appeared in one title. Whether or not this could affect their chances, I have no idea..

Anyways, I plan on restructuring the OP later today. I'll include a moveset, and a rundown of how the Omega Metroid would work in battle. I'll tag you when it's done.

Edit: @ RidleyKraid187 RidleyKraid187 I have prepared the first possible moveset. This is roughly how I see the character playing. Check it out when you have the time

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Was wondering if there was a thread for this or i might have to make it lol.

I was thinking for a long time about who from the Metroid series would fit Sm4sh since Sakurai is so hell-bent on not adding Ridley. I came down to Dark Samus from the Prime trilogy or the Omega Metroid since its the final form that'd be playable (Queen is too large).

This is one of those off the wall character designs that i would love to see in the game no matter how unlikely it is.
Also i love the aerial game ideal. I honestly dont think of them in the air but i kinda forgot where they came from (both game and larva stage) lol so derp on my part. Love the idea and you probably presented it better than i could

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Was wondering if there was a thread for this or i might have to make it lol.

I was thinking for a long time about who from the Metroid series would fit Sm4sh since Sakurai is so hell-bent on not adding Ridley. I came down to Dark Samus from the Prime trilogy or the Omega Metroid since its the final form that'd be playable (Queen is too large).

This is one of those off the wall character designs that i would love to see in the game no matter how unlikely it is.
Also i love the aerial game ideal. I honestly dont think of them in the air but i kinda forgot where they came from (both game and larva stage) lol so derp on my part. Love the idea and you probably presented it better than i could
Yep. The Queen is much too large to be a standard fighter... which is exactly why I thought it would make for a perfect final smash... It's sorta how Giga Bowser is able to be a thing: Since it's just a final smash, and it's not a permanent thing in a match (bowser always reverts back to his regular form when it ends), it doesn't really affect much. Final smashes are often supposed to be devastating lol

But yeah. I don't really know what the deal is with some franchises... I don't know if he thinks certain characters are able to "represent a series just fine.." or what.. (Donkey Kong is in the same boat as Metroid in a way.. -_-).. A lot of times it really does feel like some franchises get ignored or shafted.

The main franchises that suffer in smash right now are Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox.. and maybe, ironically Kirby (at least in terms of fighters)...

Some franchises that you would think would be on par in success like with Zelda (while somewhat ignored this time around, but having four fighters), can end up having less representation in the game.. (Donkey Kong's 2 characters.).. I mean hey. I don't know what decides who will be a character, and who will just end up a lousy assist trophy.. but I really wish some franchises personally got a little more glory XD

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Yeah i dont get how he decides characters, but i dont think its rep related. If it was, look at the popularity of the franchise vs characters in the game.

I was going to type out in detail what i mean but i ended up writing a book lol so tl:dr: i dont think he adds characters to represent game because Metroid is arguably just as popular as Zelda yet has virtually no representatives in comparison. But what Zelda has that Metroid doesnt is a multitude of characters that could be playable to pick from (the 5 in the game + Impa, Ruto, Midna/Wolf Link, Zant, Ghirahim, Skull Kid/Majora, Darunia, Young Link(Majora's Mask based), or Gannon Pig Form). In comparison, Metroid has Samus, ZSS, Dark Samus, Ridley, or Omega Metroid lol. See the problem?

Ive noticed i play more heavy weights in sm4sh than usual so i more want Omega Metroid because its another heavy to mess with than anything else lol. Nevermind the freakout people get when they see him....since face it hes by far the scariest looking potential character.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Ok... now the omega metroid.... i never thought of that! he could be a big, slow, and powerful character with a way to hover. however, its also extremely slow. as far as metroid antagonists go.... i think its perfect! maybe with him we could get an sr388 stage.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Problem with an SR388 stage is the game has no recognizable areas due to the graphic limitations except the queen chamber. I could see them adding the final area in Metroid Fusion though where you face an Omega Metroid before flying out of the station....even though im not a fan of walkoff stages.

Still wish they'd release a revamp of that game. I really love it when they actually focus the Metroid games ON THE METROIDS lol know what i mean? Its part of the reason Metroid Prime 1 will always be my favorite of the trio, even though 2 is technically better, because the first actually has metroids through the game and even the final boss is a metroid on steroids.
*frantically checks the status of AM2R and gets sad it isnt done yet*

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Problem with an SR388 stage is the game has no recognizable areas due to the graphic limitations except the queen chamber. I could see them adding the final area in Metroid Fusion though where you face an Omega Metroid before flying out of the station....even though im not a fan of walkoff stages.

Still wish they'd release a revamp of that game. I really love it when they actually focus the Metroid games ON THE METROIDS lol know what i mean? Its part of the reason Metroid Prime 1 will always be my favorite of the trio, even though 2 is technically better, because the first actually has metroids through the game and even the final boss is a metroid on steroids.
*frantically checks the status of AM2R and gets sad it isnt done yet*
wasn't dark samus metroid prime fused with the phazon suit though?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I believe she was. The Phazon suit is also technically a variation of the Gravity suit as well, so in a way she copied her Gravity suit if you want to get technical.

To add, In the second game, she wasn't able to clone Samus' light suit (as she wasn't able to touch her XD). However we can see that she at least copied some of it's appearances when she reformed..

To me, it sorta looks like she merged a bit of the look of the Light suit, with a bit of the design of the old Phazon suit appearance she had.. at least in my opinion XD

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Far as i know nothing is directly stated that is Metroid Prime with the Phazon Suit, but its pretty damn heavily implied it is.
However the other two Primes dont really focus that much on the Metroids, even though Dark Samus is the main antagonist. Thats why i said i like the first one more.

Which is another contender for Sm4sh imho because of her phazon attacks and levitation. She might have similar weight to Samus, but that'd be the extent of the similarities lol.

...and now i wanna binge-play all 3 lol. Need to break out my collector's pack.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Far as i know nothing is directly stated that is Metroid Prime with the Phazon Suit, but its pretty damn heavily implied it is.
However the other two Primes dont really focus that much on the Metroids, even though Dark Samus is the main antagonist. Thats why i said i like the first one more.

Which is another contender for Sm4sh imho because of her phazon attacks and levitation. She might have similar weight to Samus, but that'd be the extent of the similarities lol.

...and now i wanna binge-play all 3 lol. Need to break out my collector's pack.
Yep. For that matter in the prime series the Metroids in those games are a mutation due to phazon exposure. They don't follow the same lifecycle as the ones we know outside the Prime series.

Top Bottom