• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EOH Tesla Coil Concert Plays Smash Bros Medley

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

It seems no matter where one goes there is always someone with a love of Smash! Each year the University of Illinois hosts the Engineering Open House (EOH for short). As stated on their website "Engineering Open House is an annual student-led event featuring two days of exciting exhibits and captivating competitions that showcase the talent and ingenuity of engineering students at the University of Illinois." This free to enter event sported over 250 exhibits and several events, including a Tesla Coil Concert.

It may sound odd that you can make music from lightning, but the music does come from the electrical spark itself and not any special speakers. Sound can be created by pulsating a plasma streamer. While one streamer just sounds like a loud snap, if you repeat those snaps fast enough they sound higher in pitch. A Tesla coil normally repeats these so fast a human cannot hear it, which is why they are modulated my pulsating a plasma streamer. These can only usually manage 2 notes at once, and the sweet spot for a Tesla coil to "play" at lies an octave around the middle C.

The concert this year allowed people to submit their own possible songs to be played by the Tesla coil, with the one of most interest to Smash fans being their Smash Bros Medley. Watch the video and enjoy how science brings Smash music to life!

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill loves music and science, so this was really awesome to him! Follow him on Twitter to share other awesome Smash tunes with him.

Last edited:

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
This is so freaking coincidental. My physics teacher showed us a video in class of this science museum making music with tesla coils. 2 days later I see this... wow

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Oh so this is what PK Thunder can do, nice ^_^

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Awesome. I have absolutley no idea as to what musical instrements are those, but Awesome!

No seriously what are those things? They look like R.O.B. heads to me.

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
That was interesting to hear but not really to look at unless you know how they program the coils to do each particular note

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
SPARKING!

inb4 Goku confirmed for sm4sh DLC

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
My school and Thor's school represent. I couldn't go since I had my first play performance.

Plug in: Anyway, we have a young smash scene growing under the name of the smashing Illini.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Sounds like a Kazoo festival.
I like it.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Melee's theme will always remain the best. Brawl had weird opera music, SSB4 has the same song for every ****ing thing other than most of the stages, and SSB64 had something that I wouldn't really call a theme. Melee's was just really good.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
This is so amazing! Why isn't the tesla coil a musical instrument?
It is used as an instrument by a number of people.

Its just not very common because of it needing a large secure area, and they're extremely loud if you want any visible light displays for the crowd.

And they're quirky, they do certain things well, and other things they don't.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Who here saw the movie "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"? main character did the same thing, except with the OneRepublic song "Secrets".

this sort of thing isn't new to me, but that doesn't mean I'm any less captivated by it.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
That is amazing. How do they do that? Who found out you could do that? Why? And most of all, who made this amazing Smash medley? Who composed it?

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
The Mute City portion of the song made me loose it!

Top Bottom