• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early % combo theorycraft

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Mario has lots of combos, both at low %s and at high %s. But I want to learn the most about the early % combos, because it seems to have the most right and wrong answers and the most frequently occurring situations.

Dthrow->uptilt->upairs->stuff stops being true and it's time to start thinking is the primary bread and butter early % combo for Mario, by my novice understanding. So my questions will be based on that paradigm and you should probably destroy that paradigm if that makes my questions flawed.

1. Suppose I grab someone like Captain Falcon at 0%, and I can't get downthrow to uptilt yet. What's the best option? Downthrow to jab is a guaranteed follow up and the only guaranteed follow up, as far as I can tell. But that stales downthrow, is it worth it? Upthrow seems like a competing option. Could careful knowledge of the exact %s where things string really well make selecting back throw or forward throw for their exact damage amounts good? Or perhaps downthrow jab1-jab2 stop is a good way to set up the next down throw with sufficient damage without pushing my opponent away with jab3, as a character that wants to be "in".

2. I've heard tales about uptilt-downtilt-regrab, and performed it with mixed results and some confusion about what percents it works. Sometimes uptilt-uptilt-regrab seems to work too. One thing I'm particularly uncertain about is whether when someone DIs the downtilt away far enough that standing grab won't reach, is dash grab true? or do I get those dash grabs because my opponent didn't buffer a spotdodge or jab?

3. Are there any characters in the game that Mario shouldn't upair, period, for hopes of getting upair Fair or upair (E/S)JP later in the stock with the freshness of upair? It's something I've been thinking about. There's other follow ups that could be substituted perhaps, downair after the up tilts, maybe a nair, or just staying under them and trying to punish the landing instead of taking the free upairs. Maybe if you interrupt the uptilts before they start to stale then uptilting into a jump punch is true and could be accepted as a lesser amount of reward that keeps upair fresh (the jump punch itself doesn't really need to be fresh, it's not the thing linking into something else, the upair is). Jigglypuff or Rosalina are the kinds of characters I'm thinking about, where upair won't be refreshed on its own by the time upair-JP has kill potential. OTOH fastfallers like Falco might be easier to punish on their landings when you take the consolation prize for not using upair.

These are somewhat open questions and are scattered and disorganized and probably misguided but I really want to try to ask questions even if they're the wrong ones to try to get better at Mario and hopefully get other people better at Mario too. I've been really frustrated by seeing myself uptilt shields and make other early combo mistakes because I'm not fastidious (is that the right word?) enough about the exact mechanics of early comboing and figuring out how to optimize. Tonight I plan to figure out the minimum %s that uptilt starts chaining off of downthrow for every character and saving it in the notes of my DS so I can reference it at tournaments.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
At 0% you never want to downthrow. Not on any character as far as I can tell. Upthrow -> Upair is guaranteed on everyone I've tried it against, and Upthrow -> Dair is guaranteed on many characters who fall faster, such as your Captain Falcon example. Generally, if you can go for the Dair in a combo do it, it has plenty of hitstun and a doublejump afterward will allow you to follow up with an Uair or Fair/Bair relatively easily.

I don't know anything about a dtilt regrab. I don't know, seems fishy to me. Personally, I just go for what I know is guaranteed damage. However, I'll look into alternative low percent down combos in the near future. (I'm compiling information for a guide)

As a response to your number 3, right now my answer is "No." However, this is something that may change as our experience with the game progresses. I will say that lately I have seen Ally forego the SJP in combos in order to cover landings, which I believe is also optimal in many situations with our strong grab and upsmash. So there is definitely value in not using SJP, but I don't see much benefit to not using up-air unless you're going for a different type of combo. (One that emphasizes stage positioning or has another followup)

Let's not forget that even if Upair is stale, it will still combo into SJP. So if you're worried about it being stale for that reason, don't.

tl;dr

Don't dthrow at 0. Use upthrow instead. At approximately 20% most characters can be dthrow'd. From there, uptilt or upair are good options. (Seriously, sometimes I prefer to upair after dthrows because I get better/cooler followups, but that requires a bit more percent)

Also, forego SJP in favor of covering landings. That should cover everything you mentioned.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Against Falcon, U-Throw to U-Smash is a true combo at 0 to 4 percent. Same with ZSS.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
dthrow-> dtilt->utilt and dthrow->utilt->dtilt can both lead to regrabs. I do the first one all the time.

as far as 0% combos, dthrow->dsmash works on alot of characters and like Xero said uthrow->dair- is nice. sometimes it can setup a double bair and sometimes u can spike with the fair and fastfall and try to catch em with any smash attack

popsofctown

Smash Champion
d
as far as 0% combos, dthrow->dsmash works on alot of characters
That doesn't seem like it can possibly be a thing. Uptilt and downsmash are both frame 5, and at 0% it's impossible for either move to fail to reach. If you have enough frame advantage to do a frame 5 downsmash then you should have enough frame advantage to do a frame 5 uptilt and get greater reward.
At zero percent the only issue is that failure to pop the foe into the air doesn't create enough frame advantage to use a frame 5 move.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying uptilt will work on the exact same victims, and uptilt nets more total damage.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I play Mario Falcon more than any other matchup. And one of the first problems you notice is that at 0% you can't get d-throw into uptilt.
At 0% I think the ideal mixup is d-throw into jab 1 into perfect pivot re-grab. Hard to do though because it involves a perfect pivot and its flirting with the re-grab prevention timer mechanic thingy.
I usually up-throw at 0% into up-air and just try to apply pressure from there. I think the goal when you grab a falcon at 0% is to get a regrab at around 7-20% so you can do uptilt strings into u-air strings and get your big damage later.

I started making a list of when you can start (%-wise) downthrow into uptilt on every member of the cast but. I I'll try and finish that up early next week and post it here.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Mystic posted that upthrow to upsmash is true on Falcon at 0% and I can't think of a better way to get him into comboing range.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
What kind of pressure can Mario provide after an Up-throw into UpSmash on Falcon at 0%?
I can't really picture the amount of knockback that falcon would receive...

It definitely sounds like a smart play off of 0% grab though simple and does nice damage and leaves them airborne. I'll try and incorporate that into my gameplay for sure.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What kind of pressure can Mario provide after an Up-throw into UpSmash on Falcon at 0%?
I can't really picture the amount of knockback that falcon would receive...

It definitely sounds like a smart play off of 0% grab though simple and does nice damage and leaves them airborne. I'll try and incorporate that into my gameplay for sure.
It's gotta at least be an immediate 50/50 between upairing immediately or punishing an airdodge. At the minimum, dair and some other moves are probably also options.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
That sounds great actually. Is it a full hop up-air or a short hop up air?
Either way it sounds like empty jump into regrab would be a strong mixup option if they think you're going to hit them with the up-air, which should be able to net you at least 20 more percent on the combo.

And if they become wary of your empty jump regrab you can SH-Fast fall into Up-B (to bait out a counter-poke and then outprioritize it) to net 10-12% there as well. Seems like a really nice set-play to go for.

I'm definitely going to try this when I get home!

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
That sounds great actually. Is it a full hop up-air or a short hop up air?
Either way it sounds like empty jump into regrab would be a strong mixup option if they think you're going to hit them with the up-air, which should be able to net you at least 20 more percent on the combo.

And if they become wary of your empty jump regrab you can SH-Fast fall into Up-B (to bait out a counter-poke and then outprioritize it) to net 10-12% there as well. Seems like a really nice set-play to go for.

I'm definitely going to try this when I get home!
If you position yourself right, I'm not sure Falcon can poke you with an aerial that doesn't have so much landing lag you can shield it and regrab to punish rather than up-bing through it. A regrab will pay off more than an up B.

Zero Suit on the other hand, I think you might want to up B sometimes.

This is good discussion.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I think the play that covers the most options if you're interested in Up-Throw - Up-Smashing someone is to
Short Hop Fast Fall to imply the threat of up-air and then shield immediately to cover any counter-poke aerial option.
If the counter poke doesn't come Up-B, Up Smash and Shield grab are all available options out of shield in this scenario and those are all of the options you'd need.

There would be two exceptions to this scenario.
1. being your opponent completely DI-ing horizontally out of the range of all of these options. You should be able to recognize this immediately after you Short Hop Fast Fall and then at that point forego the shield option and chase with whatever button you like (probably reverse Jump Canceled Up Smash)
2. being your opponent decided to double jump. Now they have to eat a more vicious landing mixup than they did before. If you wanted to maximize damage in this situation you should go for a raw up-tilit (or down-tilt) as its much easier to string multiple up tilts into up-airs when your opponent has already burned their second jump.

I think set play (especially off of grab) is so important to Mario's game that it needs to be discussed endlessly.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
That's probably a shorter true combo, but since it puts you in the air after you do it it might have more follow up potential.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Yes, at 0% up throw-> short hop d-air-> double jump f-air, does 30-31%.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
I don't know anything about a dtilt regrab. I don't know, seems fishy to me. Personally, I just go for what I know is guaranteed damage. However, I'll look into alternative low percent down combos in the near future. (I'm compiling information for a guide)
Mario does have a legitimate low percent chaingrab in sm4sh. However, I believe it is character specific but is otherwise easy to pull off. Most usefulagainst heavy characters like Bowser or fast-fallers like Falcon. @Big Money posted a description of it here: http://smashboards.com/threads/marios-chaingrab-on-diddy.388517/
However, I prefer to interrupt the chaingrab after about 15% damage to go into the classic Dthrow->Utilt->Usmash->UpB

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Is that true?
Very. even uthrow->dair->bair does 28%. depending on their reaction, sometimes you can fastfall and get a 2nd bair off before they hit the ground into a grab

edit: just did this. if the fair doesnt spike and they get knocked forward with you, you can do a falling uair or an upb. the point is theres even more options now. also, idk if he was able to airdodge at the very end of the fair knockback but he didnt or not. also a possibility.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I tried the dair fair thing against a cpu9, it does look true. If you do a fair that doesn't spike, I'm not sure it's a true combo, since that means you hit during the later frames of fair and I think dair barely has enough hitstun to link to fair.

If uthrow->dair->late hit of fair-> upair or upb is true, then that would probably be the best combo.

If it's not, I think uthrow->dair->bair is probably better than uthrow->dair->spikefair since it only does 3% less and doesn't put you in the air above a standing opponent.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If it's versus Falcon why aren't you just using upthrow -> Dair -> followup?
U-Throw > U-Smash is much easier to do to be fairly honest, and it puts you in a better position for a regrab.

I tried the dair fair thing against a cpu9, it does look true. If you do a fair that doesn't spike, I'm not sure it's a true combo, since that means you hit during the later frames of fair and I think dair barely has enough hitstun to link to fair.

If uthrow->dair->late hit of fair-> upair or upb is true, then that would probably be the best combo.

If it's not, I think uthrow->dair->bair is probably better than uthrow->dair->spikefair since it only does 3% less and doesn't put you in the air above a standing opponent.
D-air > F-air is a true combo on everyone in the cast, no question.

The sourspot of F-air is before the frames of the sweetspot, so it's still a true combo.

There's also another sourspot at the very end of F-air that deals 10% damage, but I've only seen it during my labbing time and never in an actual match.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little skeptical that d-air to f-air would be a true combo on the whole cast (maybe just at 0% but still... hard to believe it would work on the lightest of the light) but admittedly my timing on this combo isn't very good so there could be optimal positioning that makes it work better.

My problem with doing u-throw -> dair -> fair is that dair and fair are so active that if you miss either of these moves you're whiffing an attack and are left in a terrible position to be punished (no jumps left even if you whiff fair).

So I'm skeptical of doing this combo unless its a matchup where I know the % range of my opponent's character where its a true combo and can perform it confidently.

Also could an opponent theoretically Combo DI during the Dair to make a Fair follow up more difficult to land?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
D-air is very safe unless the opponent is directly below you.

SDI is terrible in this game, so it won't influence anything. If you're not confident in using F-air, you can use U-air or B-air.

The issue is actually not with D-air to F-air (again this is a true combo on the whole cast), but U-throw to D-air. U-throw to D-air is only a true combo on certain characters, so this can potentially whiff if your opponent air-dodges.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
SDI coefficients are really low in this game, but launch DI coefficients can impact combos. I think the difficulty in predicting launch DI will make uthrow->dair->sourfair too difficult to perform consistently without accidentally doing uthrow->dair->sweetspotfair which does lots of damage but puts you in a terrible position relative to Falcon.

Uthrow->dair->bair, Uthrow->dair->uair, and Uthrow->upsmash are the only 0% strings that sound good to me. The last one seems the most convincing since it leads into a regrab the best, and you can do nasty things to Falcon if you grab him.

Top Bottom