• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSmash - A time and place for everything.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Do you feel this move is ever useful? I wasn't even using it until I was testing out the patch earlier today. Well, as it turns out, it's the same as always. However, killing Captain Falcon on the ledge at 99% gave me an idea. I used it against a Sonic player during a ranked match on Smashladder and it got one of my kills on him.

One of the most surefire options seems to be to use it when someone ledge-attacks you (A on ledge). Comes out too fast for them to block or dodge, kills above 95% on most characters, and hits behind, which might make it decent to punish a roll as well. That said, do you ever find yourself using this move?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It has some good kill power at the edge, but it's so difficult to ever pull off correctly. There is hardly any range or lingering hitboxes, making it even worse than Brawl's with its only saving grace is a more horizontal angle. If shields pushed off the ledge, it would be another solid ledge guarding tool along with many others that become viable again.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
It has some good kill power at the edge, but it's so difficult to ever pull off correctly. There is hardly any range or lingering hitboxes, making it even worse than Brawl's with its only saving grace is a more horizontal angle. If shields pushed off the ledge, it would be another solid ledge guarding tool along with many others that become viable again.
Yeah, but with super good players, most of them would just powershield it anyway. That said, I did get punished for it for doing it at high-damage. On the flipside, it gave me two kills on Smashladder against a Sonic and a Mega Man today. They never saw it coming and it killed them right around 100%.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I did Jab D-smash for a KO against someone who was drifting to the ledge. I felt pretty smart there.

But to be serious, U-tilt is almost always better than D-smash. Also U-smash oos is a superior punish against ledge attacks. Does more damage, and probably kills earlier most of the time anyway.

Last edited:

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I probably use it the most out of Ike's Smashes by a small margin, just because of the fast start up. Not as strong as the other two, but it makes for a decent punish out of shield if I want a bit more kick than I'd get from a jab or a tilt. But my W/L isn't too great so take that with a grain of salt.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Dsmash does have better knockback than most give it credit for, making it a viable kill option, but as was said, it's rare where you're in a situation where you can land Dsmash where Utilt won't do the job as well with less risk and more reliability, and it's a lot less effective than USmash if you're trying to punish a roll.

Top Bottom