• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donbe and Hikari, the Oni Fighting Duo for DLC!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Donbe and Hikari, the Oni Fighting Duo!
What game are they from and who are they?
Well, the other Donbe and Hikari thread is closed so I put it upon myself to make this one. Donbe and Hikari are the 8 year old sibling duo from the Japan exclusive Famicom title, Shin Onigashima which basically means New Island of Oni. The game is a text-based adventure has had rereleases on the Super Famicom Satellaview, the Game Boy Advance, and has even released on Virtual Console on the Wii, although all of those releases are Japan exclusive.

Donbe was born from a rice bowl floating down a river and his sister, Hikari, was born from a glittering bamboo tree. They are entrusted in the care of an elderly couple in Nagakushi Village. Donbe isn't the brightest of the bunch but definitely makes up for it with his brute strength while Hikari is very smart and resourceful, but is physically weak. They kind of balance each other out. One day, an evil came over their peaceful village called Ankoku no Keshin, the Avatar of Darkness, and stole the souls of their parents. Now, the two need to set off on an adventure, to defeat the evil dragon, Avatar of Darkness, and save their parents while meeting some friends along the way.

Playstyle and Moveset:
Ground Speed 6/10: Donbe and Hikari are faster than average.
Air Speed 5/10: The team have average speed and maneuverability in the air.
Size 5/10: Donbe and Hikari are around Mario's height with Hikari being a little bit taller than Donbe.
Weight 6/10: Donbe and Hikari are heavier than average because Donbe is bulkier.
Fall Speed 7/10: Donbe and Hikari fall faster than average.
Jump Height 3/10: Donbe and Hikari do not jump up that high. They are below average.
Traction 7/10: The duo have good traction and stop pretty fast.
Donbe and Hikari are a team. They share one hitbox and cannot be separated. Donbe is more physically strong in his attacks, while Hikari's attacks are weaker but faster. Donbe and Hikari uses the items from their game to attack in Smash like Donbe's Katana, metal rod, and a bomb. Hikari can use her fan from Captain Rainbow and a sulfur ball. Donbe and Hikari can also have their companions help in their attacks.

Normal Attacks:
Jab Combo: Donbe punches three times in front of him.
Forward Tilt: Donbe swings a metal rod in front of him
Up Tilt: Hikari swipes her fan above them.
Down Tilt:
Dash Attack:

Smash Attacks:
Side Smash: Hikari swings her fan forward (like in an ending of Captain Rainbow). The fan also creates a small gust of wind in front of the fan that pushes enemies and items away.
Up Smash:
Down Smash:

Grabs:
Donbe grabs with both hands.
Pummel: Hikari slaps the opponent while Donbe holds them.
Forward Throw:
Back Throw:
Up Throw:
Down Throw: Donbe throws the opponent on the ground and both Donbe and Hikari jump on the opponent.

Aerials:
NAir:
FAir:
BAir:
UAir:
DAir:

Specials:
Neutral: Mallet of Luck: Donbe and Hikari both grow
Side:
Up: Tengu: Donbe and Hikari summon their ally, Tengu, who carries the two of them with his hands while flying upward.
Down:

Final Smash:
Hinoesama's Strength: Donbe sticks his katana in the ground where he is at (if you are in the air, the katana floats). Hikari then uses her necklace to speak to Hinoesama. Hinoesama agrees to help and three giant lightning bolts rain down on the stage in an X pattern with the third going through the X. When Hinoesama agrees to help, a small star shines in the background.

Taunts:
Side:
Up:
Down:

Entrance:
Donbe and Hikari ride in on Ohana's back, a giant pheasant bird.

Playstyle and moveset coming soon!

Art:

Music:
Brawl Remix
Shin Onigashima OST

Arguments:

Nintendo has forgotten about/doesn't care about them:
No, they haven't. Music from Shin Onigashima was remixed in Brawl and was added back to Smash 4. Plus, they made appearances in Kirby's Dream Land 3, had a trophy in Melee, and Hikari appears in Captain Rainbow.

They won't work on the 3DS because Ice Climbers didn't work:
They won't work like the Ice Climbers. They share one hitbox and can't be separated. You also control both like they are one character.​

Donbe and Hikari's Oni Slaying Squad:

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I support! They are just beside Excitebike for my favorite potential retro rep!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Always wanted this gem to be translated or localized like the first Famicom Tantei Club game, so add me to the oni slaying squad!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I support! They are just beside Excitebike for my favorite potential retro rep!
Always wanted this gem to be translated or localized like the first Famicom Tantei Club game, so add me to the oni slaying squad!
I'll add you both. btw Azure Warrior thanks for the new Supporters name. I was trying to come up with a unique name for the supporters and I had some trouble so tanks to you, we have a name.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Heh, sorry for not appearing earlier, but I was trying to find something worthwhile.

@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA

Yeah, I'll support them. I got really into the series at one point after researching one of my favorite tracks from Brawl. Sense I just read that you are having troubles with a move set, here is a link to an English walk-through of the game. This should be enough to pull something out.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Heh, sorry for not appearing earlier, but I was trying to find something worthwhile.

@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA

Yeah, I'll support them. I got really into the series at one point after researching one of my favorite tracks from Brawl. Sense I just read that you are having troubles with a move set, here is a link to an English walk-through of the game. This should be enough to pull something out.
Bruh, thanks man. I'll add you.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I was about to say. Wasn't there another topic about these guys.

Anyway, Shin Onigashima is awesome. I would love to have a Donbe and Hikari wig for our Miis.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I certainly did. I may not necessarily believe that BOTH could be fighters (like Ice Climbers) but I would love to either see Donbe or Hikari in Smash.

Oh yes. Add me too!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sure, always nice to have new supporters!
TBH, I imagine Donbe and Hikari working together, with Donbe doing most (if not, ALL) of the fighting and hard-hittng, while Hikari does things like healing, and creating a shield for the two of them. (It would still be the average Smash shield, but it would look and act like Hikari created it to protect the two of them.)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
TBH, I imagine Donbe and Hikari working together, with Donbe doing most (if not, ALL) of the fighting and hard-hittng, while Hikari does things like healing, and creating a shield for the two of them. (It would still be the average Smash shield, but it would look and act like Hikari created it to protect the two of them.)
That's kinda how I imagine them as well, but I don't really like the idea of a healing move. Hikari's moves are weaker but I'm trying to make them have different effects that can be used strategically while Donbe's is literally just hitting the opponent hard.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I was just thinking about how difficult it might be to pull this off. You want them to be like an Ice Climber duo but with different moves for each?

Perhaps having them switch out like Pokemon Trainer might be easier.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was just thinking about how difficult it might be to pull this off. You want them to be like an Ice Climber duo but with different moves for each?

Perhaps having them switch out like Pokemon Trainer might be easier.
Well, no they don't have different moves. For one attack, say the dash, maybe only Donbe would attack (Hikari would just follow him or something). Then for another attack, saying the Up smash, only Hikari attacks, and Donbe is just standing there. Then for some attacks they both strike, if you get what I mean.

Also I think switching out is impossible because of the 3DS (why Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS are different characters and why Charizard is alone).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah but having two characters like the Ice Climbers would be hard too.

What if Donbe rode on Hikari piggyback. They could be a Banjo-Kazooie like duo.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But they are siblings...
INCEST! ITS A TRAP! (Stephenplays reference)
Well the golden rule of the Internet is that there's no exceptions..... :sick:

Anyways, I like Koopaul's suggestion of having Donbe on Hikari's back and doing most of the attacking. That's sort of where Duck Hunt went, right?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Donbe would perform all the Smash attacks and Specials while all the other attacks are performed by Hikari.

Like their Up Smash would be Donbe leaping off of Hikari's into the air and doing an uppercut.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Donbe would perform all the Smash attacks and Specials while all the other attacks are performed by Hikari.

Like their Up Smash would be Donbe leaping off of Hikari's into the air and doing an uppercut.
Its still weird considering that Donbe is stronger than Hikari therefore shouldn't Hikari be on him. btw you do know that in my Donbe and Hikari idea, they don't get seperated like the Ice Climbers. They always stick together and have one hitbox.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well the golden rule of the Internet is that there's no exceptions..... :sick:

Anyways, I like Koopaul's suggestion of having Donbe on Hikari's back and doing most of the attacking. That's sort of where Duck Hunt went, right?
Oh, yeah. That's actually true.

I find that a bit weird, considering Donbe is the strong one so shouldn't Hikari be on his back.
Believe it or not, but I can actually picture that being a good idea. A HILARIOUS idea:laugh:, but an idea, nonetheless.

Knowing Sakurai, he'd probably love to make this work. I'd love to see it too!:)

Its still weird considering that Donbe is stronger than Hikari therefore shouldn't Hikari be on him. btw you do know that in my Donbe and Hikari idea, they don't get seperated like the Ice Climbers. They always stick together and have one hitbox.
It would make programming a heck of a lot easier.:p

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I can't really imagine how have the two characters separate yet sharing a hitbox would work. When Mario grabs them and throws them, does he grab both at the same time? What if Mario does his spin throw? There's just so many things like this that just make it hard to imagine.

When you're smacking characters all over the place it just seems hard to makes both characters fly in the same direction look natural.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I can't really imagine how have the two characters separate yet sharing a hitbox would work. When Mario grabs them and throws them, does he grab both at the same time? What if Mario does his spin throw? There's just so many things like this that just make it hard to imagine.

When you're smacking characters all over the place it just seems hard to makes both characters fly in the same direction look natural.
I guess. I don't know. Might have to rethink the idea. The piggyback idea would seem a bit strange to me in the grabs and throws to, but that's me.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My point is if two characters are sharing a hitbox, their bodies have to be connected somehow.

If someone smashed Hikari in the air how would Donbe also go flying into to air with her?

Think about it, every character in Smash that fights with multiple characters gives each of those characters their own hitbox. Rosalina & Luma, Pikmin & Olimar, and the Ice Climbers. The only characters that share a hitbox are Duck Hunt, and their bodies are together.

Look, sometimes you have to do weird things to characters in order to make them playable. Every Ridley fan accepted the idea of shrinking him down to make him work as a fighter.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
My point is if two characters are sharing a hitbox, their bodies have to be connected somehow.

If someone smashed Hikari in the air how would Donbe also go flying into to air with her?

Think about it, every character in Smash that fights with multiple characters gives each of those characters their own hitbox. Rosalina & Luma, Pikmin & Olimar, and the Ice Climbers. The only characters that share a hitbox are Duck Hunt, and their bodies are together.
I understand that.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I find that a bit weird, considering Donbe is the strong one so shouldn't Hikari be on his back.
Just so you know, if they do have Hikari and Donbe with them sharing a hitbox, by them having one give the other one a piggyback. They would most likely have it be Hikari giving Donbe a piggyback, since traditionally the older siblings give the younger sibling piggyback rides, and I believe that Hikari is the older of the two if I remember correctly.

And I actually would love for them to be in with Hikari giving Donbe a piggyback, cause its just a cute image to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom