• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Ike have any shield breaking potential?

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Or anybody else in general other than the Lucina sisters, Jiggs, and Fox?

It'd be helpful, if possible, if Ike had some way to pressure shields. It may be a tad impractical due to his speed (or maybe not), but who knows till we try. If only training mode had a more in depth training mode where the cpu could block, but alas, no sympathy from Sakurai.

On rare occasion, I have broken shields with Eruption. I can't remeber how long I charged it but it was between partially charged to max damage charge (not full recoil charge). I can't recall breaking shields with anything else at all.

F smash gets damn near close, but its no easy feat to get people to block an F-smash, let alone actually hit with it. A decently charged Up smash is ok, i think.

Another thing I'd like to know about is shield pushback, since I can't really test it, I've been unsure about which normals have good pushback. Dair I know has good pushback alot of times. Ftilt has very practical pushback. Otherwise, no clue. Does rage affect shield pushback too?

Vexor1011

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vexor1011
3DS FC
0559-7342-9512
Not really shield breaking, however you can put a lot of fear into your opponent if they begin to use it too much.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I'd stick to jab 1 and d tilt on shields. Ike can't brute force shields.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Full power Eruption is the only attack that can really break shields, and that's only useful if unexpected against a Jigglypuff who whiffs a Rest at a percent too low to kill with a smash.

Ike's getup attack is able to hit the opponent's shield twice fairly easily for major shield damage, but since that usually follows with you getting punished immediately afterwards, it's not of much use.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Not in the same way as Ganondorf, Bowser or Marth. Most of his stronger attacks do cause enough shield damage to make your opponent fear to stay defensive, which works to Ike's advantage since he's a defensive focused character by nature. Spacing and punishing mistakes is the name of his game, so you'll find most of his grounded attacks on shield are able to knock back a shielded opponent to help prevent OoS options. Puts them in the range you need to set up good reads.

Just spit-balling here, but my gut instinct is that Ike has got a good anti-shield breaker game. Since most shield breaking moves are slower and his Counter is phenomenal, you'll find that countering only one of your opponents shield breakers is enough to scare the crap out of them. (Especially since you'll have most likely of KO'd a stock unless they are at low %)

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Yes. I did this on LordMix the other day. You can charge Eruption and let them get back on-stage. Instead of rolling, if they choose to neutral get-up and shield or attempt a shield grab, Eruption will crush that shield.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
The only shield break attack is the get up attack when hits the two hits!lol Stay down when the opponent is close get up attack and ir ur opponent shield 1 second before u get ip bye his shield :p

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
I've actually broken shields with 2 dtilts and an fsmash. This is effective against players that are too afraid to come out of their shield.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
F-Smash should never work in those kind of situations, maybe online.

I don't like facing things like D3 and Ganon online, lag makes shield breaking moves better because you can't shield drop properly.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I remember I used a charged up Eruption or forward smash to break their shield into pieces, especially if they kept using it too much without thinking first.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It takes a decent bit more than a fully charged F-Smash to break a shield, a fully charged Eruption is so hard to even get off shield or not. I'm pretty sure it's the slowest move in the game, even with Ganon up tilt at like 70 frames.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It takes a decent bit more than a fully charged F-Smash to break a shield, a fully charged Eruption is so hard to even get off shield or not. I'm pretty sure it's the slowest move in the game, even with Ganon up tilt at like 70 frames.
Yep, the time it takes to get Eruption to full power is definitely longer than Ganondorf's Utilt. Luckily it's still deadly even without reaching full power.

Full FSmash does come really close to breaking a shield, but naturally the lag and the shield pushing it does makes it of little real use outside of doubles.

Last edited:

Reckage

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4002-7302
Never broken a shield yet in quite a few matches, closest I've gotten is a forward smash on someone with a small shield like game and watch. But it wasn't fully charged so I am sure it would have in that case. But nobody in their right mind is gonna sit on shield from a fully charged ike forward smash, lol.

Mariofan13

Smash Cadet
Yes, shield breaking is a bit difficult with Ike. But today, I broke a shrinking shield with a sweetspotted down air.
I think his dair is the attack which deals most shield damage except fully charged eruptions and smashes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Lots of USmashes and Fsmashes will do the trick. Usually it only takes about two in a shorten window to break the shield. You could also use Eruption as you fall from the sky and hope that they shield as you release.

Top Bottom