• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJC wavedash

Massive

Smash Champion
I was fiddling around in Training mode working on my DJCs, my main issue is DJCing too low, and ending up back on the ground before my bair or fair goes off.

Anyway, I sometimes hit my DJC muscle twitch before I wavedash, and recently i'ved noticed that it seemed to be giving me a bit more distance than your garden-variety wavedash, am I going crazy or can anyone confirm this?

I've also noticed that sometimes it will evade hits like when you triangle jump, moreso than a normal wavedash anyway.

Somebody with frame-data feel free to shoot me down! please!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I noticed this too, I thought it was the same as wavelanding though I could be wrong...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
this could be because of the distance you get when DjC'ing.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
you are running thru some territory that i hold in high regard^_^ first, your WDs are longer for the same reason wavelanding seems longer than wavedashing...

second, learning to control that would be very beneficial to you(the height of your DjC that is) because when you land during a DjC before your attack comes out(this works with any attack) you can immediately go into any other move(attacks and non-attacks).

This technique is called Foot Cancelling(because it is easiest to use with dair). Its like float cancelling, but the attack doesnt actually occur with foot cancelling, but it is still a very useful technique. You can foot cancel a DjC'd attack into anything from grab to fsmash to roll...or even a proper DjC.

There is an example in one of my oldie vids: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1p7WbuWBYtk at time index 1:53

Massive

Smash Champion
I see what you're talking about, sometimes i'll DJC bair too low and end up doing an ftilt the other direction... I never thought it was the same thing as foot cancelling.

As for the video, i've already watched it, a majority of the reason I still play Ness is in hopes of emulating you Simna.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I've recently been working on wavelanding, and I think it has a lot more potential with Ness than most people realize. I think anything that allows you to get onto the ground, quickly, without lag, in the middle of Ness's DjC has an abundance of use, to be honest, I didn't think of doing what Massive here brought up before, I've just been doing a straight down waveland(Trying to time it so that the enemy tries to grab or attack while the dodge invincibility is still up, and so they're still lagging while I'm able to pull off something like an fsmash or a repeated dtilt) but I see how this might be useful, especially against people who shield well against Ness's fair.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Waveland into grab? Is that what you're suggesting?

Does invicibility end the moment you get onto the ground?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
1. That's one option and 2. Yes, which is why I mention the fact that it requires a lot of timing. Like I said, I don't know exactly how useful it is yet, but I think it has potential.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
@Ademisk: Same route I follow

It has tons of potential, especially against mario,luigi,peach,sheik oppenents especially.

C. Falcon and the Space Animals however, I have found it not to work as well as with the others I mentioned.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
So we have established that the reason you get more WD dist is because you air dodge'd in falling animation instead of jumping up'ing animation, right?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Well, like I said....I think.....I've been wavelanding straight down from the air, trying to trick my opponent into shielding or attacking while I have the short dodging invincibility then taking advantage of the lag, not trying to extend my wavedash by wavelanding during the falling animation. But since you talked about Wavelanding in that way, I was trying to do it, but too early I guess. It wasn't working like I thought. Thanks for the correction. the other way works like I'm trying to use it in either falling or jumping animation.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I just found something new(Sorry about the double post, this didn't seem like the time for editing)

When you're dashing, and try to turn the other way, you have that ever so annoying turning around lag, right? People tend to solve this by crouch cancelling, but after crouch cancelling, it's difficult to go straight into a run, so Ness's powerful dash attack is rendered lagged.

However, if you go from a dash, and a do a straight down wavedash, you can turn around from that even quicker than a crouch cancel, though to be honest it's a bit more complicated to pull off. In addition, you don't even have to sit through the animation for Ness's crouch. For me, it's proven way faster and easier to pull off than the crouch cancel, try it out for yourself, it's pretty nice. You can do it with forward and backwards wavedashing, maybe play some mindgames, forward wavedash and then turn completely around.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sorry, that isn't exactly new... but it is useful. It goes under the category of JC dash.

Top Bottom