• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dimension Cape Bounce (3.0 only!)

JABS

Smash Cadet
((THIS INFORMATION IS ONLY RELEVANT TO VERSION 3.02))

JABS here, not aware if this is already known but I'm sharing this regardless.

It's obvious Meta Knight's DC has some ridiculous strong points about it, including mind games, mixups, and excellent ledgeguarding tech and recovery. But while messing around with DC, I found two interesting things about it. The first thing we should consider is that while on the ground, MK's DC counts as a single jump if you teleport into the air, that being said, you can DC in the air one more time and reappear before you fall to the ground, or you can use your 4 jumps and then use DC. Either way, you only get it twice max if going into the air. But the DC has this cool thing called movement, and we can use it to move wherever we like.

The way DC works is that it moves according to where you move the control stick, and if you don't like where your going you can simply reverse the direction anyway you want, and he'll move there instead. Considering this, you can move him from the air to the ground and into the air again. If we relate the basic idea to a pattern movement, it would be like a V or a U or I. When this happens he reappears in the air again. (Okay, so what, why not just move him from where he was to the same place in a straight line? Same thing right! Not necessarily.)

Let's assume MK has a "Grounded!" sensor that says, "If you have used MK's DC on the ground, you get one more DC if you go into the air, or his four jumps then DC." Well it turns out that if you do the DC in the air and angle it towards the ground and then go back into the air before he comes out, the "Grounded!" sensor get's reset, because when you angle towards the ground, the game thinks he landed back on the ground again and counts it as if he used DC from the ground into the air in the first place. So you essentially get another DC. But what's more is the previously underlined part. Remember what I said about DC into the air and getting another DC or his four jumps and then DC? Yes, he gets those four jumps each time you do this you can basically do his DC multiple times like on the ground but in the air instead. The max height you can move is enough to avoid many basic attacks or grabs, you can do anything out of it. It's not all that practical in combos, but it's good to know and useful for enhancing the "Meta Mindgame".

I just wanted to share this with you all right now. I will soon make a video for this thread about the details and I will also add some more things I've found into it. Post and share your thoughts for discussion. So until next time!

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Does it reset your jumps? Like can you jump 4 times, DC, and jump 4 more times?

Gonna do some testing tonight.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Nice idea, basically the DC groundbounce (lol @ that name). Thanks for finding this technique. The 18 frames or reappearing will limit its use a bit but still it is great for mindgaming and creative escapes out of pressure situations. I assume this also helps setting up footstools because if you DC your opponent will most likely shield and with improved movement you will force them out of their shields easier with the footstool and dair then. Dimensional Cape seems to be always the best if you have nothing guaranteed against some strategies or moves so it will probably also help in difficult matchups. I will also experiment with this the next days.

JABS

Smash Cadet
That is Correct sneakytako, if you practice enough of it you'll find him also to sometimes hang in the air a bit if you try angling his momentum the instant as he reappears, this is simply a gimic that exploits some explanation as to why this is possible and a bit of project M mechanics.
Additionally, as I will put in the video, if you try holding up-back, up-forward, or up on the control stick as you exit a ground based DC, you can alter his momentum. Although the game will try and drag him down to where he was supposed to be, it's enough to grab a ledge from around middlestage if you aren't close enough to simply DC -> ledgegrab. (If you don't know what this is, it's using DC a fair distance from a ledge, then holding towards that ledge and then quickly tapping back to turn MK around so he can grab the ledge as he falls off when he reappears off the stage. Like a magnet he'll be pulled towards the ledge, fun to use for ledgeguarding.)
Lol@Groundbounce.

Last edited:

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty neat. You can "glide" across platforms and retain your jumps this way. As long as you touch the ground it resets the timer you speak of. Really neat and I liked your explanation of the movement patterns. The shapes U, V, and I are really ideal and I related it to a rocking boat really.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Just tested it, it definitely works.

The V method where you do an aerial down b, aim for the ground diagonally, and aim up and forward will net you much longer distance than a regular down b from the first position. Gonna see if I can't go from one BF platform to another without jumping.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Just tested it, it definitely works.

The V method where you do an aerial down b, aim for the ground diagonally, and aim up and forward will net you much longer distance than a regular down b from the first position. Gonna see if I can't go from one BF platform to another without jumping.
Yep, and you can use it to increase the overall range of the power or quickslash and anything related to DC really.

Khaosity

Smash Rookie
Great find man. There is always more tech to be found for metaknight haha. Gotta see how I can implement this into my game.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pretty sick.

You can basically hover off the ground indefinitely with this. You literally never have to touch the ground, ever. Use your jumps, do the DC trick, use 4 more jumps, do the DC trick, use 4 more jumps, repeat ad infinitum.

Combine this with doing it off platforms and it's... just... beautiful. I've just been doing laps around Battlefield, doing this trick off each platform and the ground, around and around, never touching the ground.

You can also just sorta stall in place by doing this a certain height over the ground. Just down-B, down-B, down-B, down-B, etc. Or just VVVV all the way across FD with it.

Think of the applications!

What's the highest jump height you've gotten this to work at? I can get it, just barely, at just below Pokemon Stadium 2 platform height.

I really really hope they don't patch this away.

Names? We gotta lock this down before a commentator sees it and calls it something dumb!
  • Cape jump
  • Cape glide
  • Cape bounce
  • Cape reset
  • Cape hop
  • Cape recoil

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yeah we need to give it a name first. I like Cape Bounce the most because jump could mean several things reset is kind of reserved for jab/ other moves reset and Cape Glide doesn't really fit because glide is used for the up-b animation after the loop.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Im pretty sure if we want a simple, practical name, "Cape Recovery" would work best. May not sound as cool to everyone as bounce or glide, but what should be mainly associated to a technique is a name that describes all of its capabilities and main purpose. Conserving the jumps and having another DC is exactly what the entire point of this technique is, hence "Cape Recovery".

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see where you're coming from, but I'd be a little worried that it could be confused with just using the cape as your recovery option (as opposed to up-B or side-B).

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cape Bounce does seem to the be best, even though every damn thing is a bounce in Brawl / PM :awesome:

Edit: Cape Warp? I think it sounds cool but doesn't really make perfect sense. Cuz like you kinda warp every time you do the cape anyway. But it sounds cool :denzel:

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Half off-topic but if you DCape (not hold b) grounded and press up right when you reappear the reappear sound won't come out and it looks kind of ninja #creativetaunts

JABS

Smash Cadet
Well it's not worth arguing about. We can call it whatever we like. Its just another technique to add to the arsenal. For example, calling it Cape bounce doesn't mean I couldn't call it cape recovery in my local area for example. It'd be synonymous: Cape Bounce/Cape Recovery. So I'm honestly okay with whatever.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Well it's not worth arguing about. We can call it whatever we like. Its just another technique to add to the arsenal. For example, calling it Cape bounce doesn't mean I couldn't call it cape recovery in my local area for example. It'd be synonymous: Cape Bounce/Cape Recovery. So I'm honestly okay with whatever.
So it's settled then, we'll call it SpiderCaping

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad quite gross, but gave me a good laugh

My tag does not lend itself well to compound-naming :(

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
Notice: I apologize for not having the video up yet, classes are demanding. I have all the necessary clips. I'll try to get the video posted by this weekend.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ JABS JABS I can't wait to see it. I've been playing around with the trick and there are some seriously cool applications.

Bryonato

Green Hat
@ JABS JABS I can't wait to see it. I've been playing around with the trick and there are some seriously cool applications.
Yeah. Last night during a training sesh with a friend, we were playing on SV and I used it on the moving plat while it was extended far away from the stage as a recovery option. Really cool.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Someone please make a video of this so I can understand what the significance of this is

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I see no utilization with this since you be attacked out of DC before you even reappear.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I apologize for the wait. The video is in production. Of course there is an explanation as to why it isn't done yet. I recently finished classes last week and have returned to my home in AZ. Unfortunately, the only video recording device I had was from a friend back at the dorm. I am currently without recording device and although I have all the necessary footage to show what everything is and how to do it, I still lack certain clips to make a FINE video such as the introductions to each basic move. Unless everyone is okay with a sloppy video. This isn't an excuse but rather the reality. I plan to get into a community soon and hopefully I'll find someone with the necessary equipment for the rest of the videos (Im not just making a video for this but for other tech as well, thought I should separate them). I honestly also think Cape Bounce is a good name. So I suppose everyone is agreed with Cape Bounce and I can display that name in the video? Gotta ask before I do since I wasn't the one who came up with the name.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not that I "came up with it" exactly, I just listed some ideas off the top of my head and people seemed to really like one of 'em, but I say go for it. It's a solid name and I think it makes the technique seems more legit or something lol

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
yeah I've been casually calling it cape bouncing for awhile now. Makes sense imo since that's basically what it is.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Sadly I must say I do not have any capture card devices. My computer recently fried itself and so it is now fixed, that put a hold on a lot of things. I aim to put together what I can when I can as a mock video. Other than that, it'll be the end of summer before I can return to VA and acquire a friends capture card. I could post the unorganized garbage I managed to put together. It would be a sloppy woodwork but it would get the point across at least I hope.

Top Bottom