• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delayed inputs

Mortecain

Smash Rookie
Just downloaded to experiment with P:M and noticed that some of the inputs in the game arent as fluid as I presume they should be. I noticed that playing with both Marth and Roy that their Sword Dance and Double-Edge Sword respectively do not take inputs very well. Marths SD in VB was very fluid, a much welcome upgrade from its Melee counterpart. It now feels as though there is tremendous lag when trying to get the full combo to come out.

Marth's seems to be slighty better than Roy's. In most cases, I cannot even get Roy to do the full string with or without an opponent. Ive tried very delayed inputs, ive tried all combinations of letting the stick go neutral before trying each step in the combo, to trying to time it perfectly at the end of every swing. I only seem to be able to get two swings at most with any consistency.

Any thoughts on this? I know it was just released, so not sure if anyone else has been experiencing any of this yet.

TheLostSabre

Smash Cadet
This is intentional.

They both have differing inputs on when to time their sideb combos. Some directional inputs are more lenient on the timing, others have smaller window of when you can input the next combo. Experiment a little to get a feel on how long you can delay their combos.

Be more deliberate on your timing; trying to mash or repeatedly press the button won't give you consistent results

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
it's also probably due to a lack of buffer.
Speaking of which, there is a 3-frame buffer option that you can turn on in the match options menu. This may or may not help you out, though it might be better if you get used to the timings without the buffer on.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
The only DED input I can't do is consistently follow up on the third downward hit. The hitlag screws up my timing.

Other than that, the window is pretty generous. Then again, I never really played Brawl, so this is what I'm used to.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
The reason why Marth's Brawl Side B got a speed buff is so that the hits could connect together more fluidly with all the missing hitstun. It was always slow to connect in Melee, and since Marth is pretty much copy pasted from Melee, the same holds true in Project M.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I preferred the brawl input, although it may have been too simple. Just practice the move in slow-mo and it should help with the timing.

Mortecain

Smash Rookie
Buffer has nothing to do with it unfortunately, I mainly play Brawl+ with zero buffer. It was slower in Melee I agree, but i definitely believe it is a step in the wrong direction to make the combos timing as slow and strict as it feels now. I can use my SD on reaction with Marth in B+ and VB, cant really do that now that the timing is different. Being quite honest, and I know that you guys dont really care, I may just hang P:M up. Im going to play with it for a bit to try and get a feel for it, but im already pretty sure ill be switching back. Roy isnt enough of a reason for me to play with the way things are ATM.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I have not noticed this with any moves, yet. Everything responds to me when I want it. The only thing I could see you referring to would be Buffer. I think its just adjusting is all. Anyone coming from anything Brawl (Even Brawl+) is going to notice almost a sticky sensation, but that's just cause timing has to be spot on, or its not going to happen. Even Brawl + did not have the 0 to 2 random frame delay fix cause it simply went unnoticed. Like Melee, timing must be spot on.
I can't see this being an actual thing cause I am positive we would have seen feed back from the competitive scene much sooner. If anyone would notice input delay, its them.

Mortecain

Smash Rookie
Maybe delayed inputs isn't the correct way to explain it. The moves are unresponsive in my opinion, no change to the way I've tried to adjust has made a bit of difference unfortunately. It saddens me really, I'd love to be able to play Roy again.

As for buffer, like I stated before with B+ I play with a zero frame buffer. Idk I need to you with it more I guess. Whole thing still makes me sad.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I think the lack of buffer in B+ is not as noticeable as it is in P:M. And I say this going back to the 0 to 2 dram delay brawl has. This was never noticed in Brawl+ even with no buffer on. Yet in PM is was a problem, a cause for sticky play. I still believe its all about input timings. I really wish I could understand what your talking about cause Roy plays amazingly for me.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Lets just remember that marth in vBrawl would over-B almost as fast as you could hit the button. In P:M and melee it has a specific interval progression to where you have to hit it, I remember having trouble with it as a kid playing melee, it's definitely not a buffer issue though, just that the move now requires specific timing.

Mortecain

Smash Rookie
That may be the case, but I still feel the brawl upgrade was very welcome and that the step back to a timed combo is just that, a step back. Was very jarring to boot up brawl and have it feel so much like melee, but It always bothered me that it was so clunky feeling in melee. Like I said my biggest problem with it now is it can't be used, at least for me, on reaction especially in a pinch. To each his own though, my qualms with the change aren't going to get them to make it fluid again./sigh

Top Bottom