• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 13, 2014] GFC's third Smash 4 tournament! (Houston, TX)

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
The venue, GFC Toys, is a local card shop. They host Smash tournaments for the community almost every week. There have been over a dozen Project M tournaments at this venue already. This is the third Smash 4 tournament at GFC Toys (the first Smash for Wii U tournament). This will be an all day event including singles, doubles, and 4v4 (quads).

Date/Time:

December 13th, 2014.
The schedule is as follows:

TL;DR
1v1 3:00PM
2v2 4:45PM
4v4 6:45PM

12:00PM - Doors open
12:30PM - Casuals and Registration begins

3:00PM - Singles signup ends
3:20PM - Singles Bracket begins

4:45PM - Doubles signup ends
5:00PM - Doubles Bracket begins

6:45PM - 4v4s or "Quads" signup ends
7:00PM - 4v4s or "Quads" bracket begins

The store will close when 4v4s finish.

Address/Phone:

GFC Toys
8805 Jones Rd A101,
Jersey Village, TX 77065
(832) 478-5255

Venue Fee: $5
Singles Fee: $5
Doubles Fee: $2
Quads Fee: $2

Payout for Singles:

1st = 60%
2nd = 30%
3rd = 10% and no venue fee next GFC Smash 4 tournament
4th = No venue fee next GFC Smash 4 tournament

If two players are tied at 5th place, then they will play a match, best 3 out of 5 for 4th place.

Payout for Doubles:

10 teams or less:
1st place = 100%
(Winner take all)

11 teams or more:
1st place = 70%
2nd place = 30%

Payout for Quads:

1st place = 100%
(Winning team of 4 takes all)

Smash 4 Ruleset:
This is a Smash for Wii U tournament, however players may use their 3ds as a controller. Gamepad is banned. Custom moves are banned at this event. Miis (with custom fighters OFF) are allowed.
In 4v4s, friendly fire will be turned ON.

Stage list (For Singles)
Neutral Stages

• Battlefield
  • Town and City
  • Final Destination (or any variation of it)
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
Counter Pick Stages

• Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • WiiFit Studio
  • Coliseum
  • Skyloft
  • Kongo Jungle 64
  • WuHu Island
  • Duck Hunt
Stage List for Doubles is exactly the same, except Big Battlefield is a legal neutral stage.

Stage list (For 4v4s)

Neutrals:
  • Battlefield
  • Big Battlefield
  • Final Destination (Or any variation of it)
Counter Picks:
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Castle Siege
  • Kongo Jungle 64
  • Duck Hunt

Stage Selection Process for 4v4
1. Each team nominates a player for a rock paper scissors match (best 2 out of 3)
2. Winning team selects stage
3. After the first game, losing team counter picks the stage. Winning team doesn't ban any stages.
4. After the losing team picks the stage, the winning team may change characters, then the team that previously lost may change characters
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 if score becomes 1-1.
6. Bracket matches, Winners finals, and Losers finals are best 2 out of 3. Only GRAND FINALS are best 3 out of 5.

NOTE: Stage list is subject to change after TGC 2 (December 6th), to form a list based on player feedback.

Stage striking (For singles and doubles)
  • Before the first game, the two players will do rock paper scissors. The winner decides who will ban the first neutral stage, and the two players will stage strike one at a time until the player who banned second picks between the last two remaining neutral stages
  • If Final Destination is banned as a stage then any variation of Final Destination is also banned.
  • After the first game, the winner bans 1 of the 15 total stages, and the loser counter picks. These bans are only for that pick.
  • Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.
  • The player picking Final Destination may also pick any variation of the stage.
General Rules: All matches will be 3 stocks 8 minutes.
  • As previously stated, customs are banned at this event
  • No modded controllers, 3DS's, 2DS's allowed. If you have minor modifications on a controller, ask the TO (Krebs) about the legality
  • Coaching is allowed only BETWEEN matches
  • Custom controls are allowed
  • No excessive stalling, this is at the TO's discretion and includes going under a stage over 3 times in a row without getting back on.
  • If you play with your 3ds as your controller and your red 3DS light comes on you cannot pause in the middle of a match to plug in your charger, punishment is a stock loss for you.
  • Sets are best of 3, finals are best of 5
  • Gentleman's agreement, within reason both players can agree to rules outside of the tournament rules or even against the tourney rules. So long as it doesn't prolong the match with more stocks or a higher time limit
Note: Rules are subject to change (including the 4v4 friendly fire rule) but all players will be notified of any future changes via this event page, and/or in the Houston Smash 4 Facebook group.

General:

Some setups may be needed.
If we use something you bring in bracket, compensation is

Wii U with Smash 4: No Venue Fee
FULL SETUP (Competitive monitor, Wii U + Smash 4): No Venue Fee, and no Singles Fee

Smashers AvoiD and Fliphop do not need to pay venue fee at this event, due to their placement at the previous event.

Smashers BC, ToT, Weegee, and Rayzorium get free pizza from venue for participating and winning the Crew Battle against Team Dojo.

Venue capacity: 50

Edit notes:
12/12/14 Friendly fire for 4v4 changed from OFF to ON

Last edited:

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
I've never been to a smaller tournament, how long will singles last? I got something that day that I need to be there at the least before 8. I'd love to come, and I have a setup, I just need to know how flexible the time is. I understand it's not necessarily predictable but since it's coming up and the amount of people that have RSVP'd, an estimate would be nice. Thanks.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
I've never been to a smaller tournament, how long will singles last? I got something that day that I need to be there at the least before 8. I'd love to come, and I have a setup, I just need to know how flexible the time is. I understand it's not necessarily predictable but since it's coming up and the amount of people that have RSVP'd, an estimate would be nice. Thanks.
Its not necessarily predictable but finals are generally what take the longest, and a majority of players will be done with the singles bracket by 6pm. So you'd be able to enter singles for sure with time to spare at the end to pack up your setup.

I'd really appreciate the setup by the way! You could bring it and get completely free venue and singles, and you can be on your way at ~7:30.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I think I'll show up at this.
I'll need a setup and possibly a couple of people for quads.

I'm pretty sure Kirby and I are going to team at this.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Forgot about that free pizza.. Hell yeah
I will win quads

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
How many people regularly attend?
So if its capacity is met then no more entree's?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Thinking about it...

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
You should all go. Lucario is one of the best characters in 4v4 RT. Also this venue has never exceeded the capacity of 50 for a tournament. Most I've ever seen was about 30.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh

Looks like you've stretched your shoulders plenty

Edit: Nkguy01 just changed his profile pic.... Awkward.

Last edited:

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
Alright, I should more than likely be coming tomorrow. Count on me for a setup.

MapleSyrup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neegoo
I am willing to join any 4v4 team that's looking for more members!! ;w; I have no one! Also won't mind teaming up for 2v2s with anybody. :3

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
im omw coming from beltway 8. gps says ill make it just in time so hopefully no accident oon the road. will i be good?

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
s/o to that one guy who shouted a lot, me starving, and my brain with a knife being twisted in it right now
real talk that was great, glad to be with you guys

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to Tipy, Kadin,BC, Ragetoast,Krebs,Drain,Gamma, Dao,Tod, leaf and to everyone else ill add later cause im so tired. Great games to everyone and fun times chilling with yoi guys. I honestly cant wait till the next time we meet up you giys are boss

Last edited:

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Yep.
I'm dead.

I was one of the guys with a recording setup and I was also running around with a camera all day. I'm gonna try to get started on cutting all of this video together tonight but if you guys could help out when the results thread is made and post the characters you were using then that would be super helpful. And if you also happen to use a tag in the game that isn't what you actually entered as.

DSkro

Smash Rookie
NNID
DSkro87
That was awesome...but my @$$ is whupped.

Shout-outs to Tot and Leaf for the casuals early on (fastest way to learn is by getting wrecked...so thanks...I think) and Nessy for Team Rando (hit me up for doubles anytime)

Special shout-out to Krebs for TO-ing but that said...its 1-1 and I'm coming for you you little menudo punk

See all you guys next week

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Yep.
I'm dead.

I was one of the guys with a recording setup and I was also running around with a camera all day. I'm gonna try to get started on cutting all of this video together tonight but if you guys could help out when the results thread is made and post the characters you were using then that would be super helpful. And if you also happen to use a tag in the game that isn't what you actually entered as.
I rocked the tag avoid when i was playing luigi out of respect for my homie. All the games with luigi and tag avoid is bluebirde. And ofcourse my own tag as well

Last edited:

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Alright so I'm having some issues getting started on getting the matches uploaded.

And also there was an issue where the recording managed to drop frames the entire time.
This figures, I don't think I've ever had recording go successful for me at larger tournaments where it really mattered. But I'll still try to get some stuff up. Quality and framerate are gonna suck though. Sorry guys.

I'll probably hold off on bringing full recording equipment until I get the HD stuff in, like I've said 5 times.

@ Krebs Krebs hook me up with the info on your recording stuff, I didn't see what you were using. And right as I say to give us a results thread, +1 new alert lol.

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
I had a blast at this, didn't do too well in singles, but Team Hell went pretty far. Looking forward to doing this again next week! In the meantime i need to practice up my Rosalina and quit playing so much Melee :p

Jae55555

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaeeeee
3DS FC
0275-9833-1212
My girlfriend and friends all had fun even though we ranked last! We will be there next time and hopefully advance at least a bracket LOL!

Top Bottom