• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear P.M Team: Any plans to cel-shade our beloved Toon Link? =\

smashman!

Smash Cadet
I mean it's his original palette right? Yea I know there's skins out there but they're all inaccurate in some way if you look closely. (when compared to the real deal of course)

Also while i'm at it, will there be any changes to avoid him being a clone again? Like at least change his smash to something handheld franchise related, like 4 swords maybe? Other Toon Links Blue, Red & Purple appear alongside the original and perform a combo on up to 3 chars caught in his smash.

What ya think? :toonlink:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Also while i'm at it, will there be any changes to avoid him being a clone again? Like at least change his smash to something handheld franchise related, like 4 swords maybe? Other Toon Links Blue, Red & Purple appear alongside the original and perform a combo on up to 3 chars caught in his smash.

What ya think? :toonlink:
That sounds more like a Final Smash than a smash attack, if that's what you were implying from the get go then you should specify that.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Most color pallettes are set up so that when team vs happens, you can actually tell who's on what team by looking at the character.

smashman!

Smash Cadet
Most color pallettes are set up so that when team vs happens, you can actually tell who's on what team by looking at the character.
Either way, would copying the exact palette from Wind Waker hurt? =P

Zombie Otter

Smash Rookie
I don't think you'll find many Project M employees on the Toon Link character forums. Maybe you might want to take this to a more general forum.

Or the Fox forums.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
The reason why Toon Link retains his Brawl look is to remain cohesive with the rest of the characters and art style of the game. If he was cel-shaded he'd look horribly out of place. See a game like Playstation All Stars which has a much more questionable artistic direction in my opinion because the characters don't look like they blend in the same sort of universe. Sly Cooper for example, retains the cel-shaded look from his games whilst characters like Kratos, Nathan Drake, Donte and Raiden keep their realistic look.

The same holds true for the alt costumes. Notice how characters like Melee Fox/Falco don't have their Melee textures but instead have updated, more detailed ones that match closer to the Brawl art style.

With regards to the Final Smash, it's more than possible to change the FS to something more canon and interesting. Main reason why we haven't is simply because we've had other priorities, and rebuilding a Final Smash often takes more effort than what it's worth. However I agree that TL's current FS is rather dull.

And before you ask, yes I am a part of the PMBR art team.

I don't think you'll find many Project M employees on the Toon Link character forums. Maybe you might want to take this to a more general forum.

Or the Fox forums.

Lol employees...

In all seriousness though that's an odd statement to make. I can tell you pretty much for certain that there are more PMBR Toon Link mains than Fox mains (I'm talking about PM Fox as opposed to Melee Fox). In fact very few PMBR members main Fox in PM (even if they mained him in Melee).

Zombie Otter

Smash Rookie
Well then, I stand corrected.

P.S: The Fox Forums comment was a joke. Where I'm from he's insanely popular.

P.P.S: Thanks for the special skins man! ROB's literally made me burst out laughing when I saw it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Well then, I stand corrected.

P.S: The Fox Forums comment was a joke. Where I'm from he's insanely popular.

P.P.S: Thanks for the special skins man! ROB's literally made me burst out laughing when I saw it.
Well, you're not wrong. IIRC in Melee, people literally played only Fox, Falco, Marth, Ice Climbers, or Sheik, or so it seems to me.

Top Bottom