• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with platform campers

Raitch

Smash Rookie
I was told once from a great Captain Falcon player that the best way for CF to deal with Ice Climbers was chilling on the platforms on Battlefield. I didn't think too much of it until this weekend when a CF did just that against me.

In hope that my fairs could cover this, it still didn't work and he managed to punish me quite hard against most of my approaches. I generally wonder what exactly can I do against this type of behavior? One of the first ideas I get is to create some kind of desync that lets Nana jump in with uairs or fairs, but I'm not sure what to desync into to get that result while also not being predictable.

I'm not used to posting on Smashboards so let me know if I'm missing anything essential to mention regarding this. Cheers!

BigVegeta

Smash Rookie
Use your ice block and force him into making a poor approach. Test the opponents patience and try camping yourself. Play the clock and use your ice blocks like Ryu would use a fireball. Even if the blocks don't hit they usually elicit a response from my opponent (shield, jump, run). Its important to keep mental notes on what the opponent is doing after your projectiles and you can base a read off of those. Once you get ahead the psychological pressure should prevent falcon from just chilling.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Patience is essential. The less often you approach, the less often the enemy expects an approach. Trying to chase down an enemy on platforms all the time is often falling into their hands. Being on a platform is generally a pretty weak position for ICs regardless, so going up there frequently is inadvisable for that reason as well.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Platform camping isn't really a problem unless the opponent is using the top platform to stay out of your reach (since even a fulljump up air barely pokes through on Battlefield/Dreamland). I like to use a lot of noncommital, safely spaced aerials to bait a response from the opponent (either approach or evade) and then try to punish the response.

Last edited:

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Would it be feasible to camp on the opposite platform and harass them with ice blocks shot onto the middle platform?

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Would it be feasible to camp on the opposite platform and harass them with ice blocks shot onto the middle platform?
This may seem like a reasonable idea, but ice blocks are unfortunately too slow to effectively punish players on the other platform and even put you at risk of being punished, especially if your opponent is a fast character like Falcon. Like Kyu Puff said though, opponents on the first set of platforms aren't too hard to deal with with carefully placed uairs and the like; just be conscious of getting pinned at the edge of the stage of you miss, as they can easily respond by running of platform into the center of the stage.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
It's definitely a tricky situation.
If you can't just get the lead from the beginning and avoid the entire situation, I usually try to be threatening with a lot of empty movement and bait out their jump, then just punish or put myself in position to punish where they land.

like fly said, you need to be patient.
Try to look for their mistakes/retreat patterns.
cover where they are going, not just where they are.

etc.

Top Bottom