• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Luigi

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea why this happens, but sometimes when I catch Luigi in Arcfire, he doesn't get trapped at all. It only hits him once or twice, then he DIs out to shield or roll away. It honestly feels like Arcfire is completely useless against competent Luigi players. Just now I got my butt whooped multiple times by my friend using Luigi, but then the tables turned and I two-stocked him once he switched to Sonic. Which shows me that it's not because Robin's a bad character or anything, but I'm just not used to the Luigi matchup.

Anyone have any tips and tricks on dealing with this Green Thunder?

Nah

Smash Champion
take anything I say with a grain of salt

I wouldn't really call Arcfire useless in the matchup. Even if it only hits him once and then he moves back, it still did its job: keeping him away. The standard Luigi gameplan that most Luigis follow afaik is basically Fireballs+dash grab since he gets insane rewards offa grabs, but Luigi seems to have issues with campy/keepaway characters. While Robin's not the best camper/keepaway character, you still have enough to keep Luigi at bay. If you try to keep him out long enough he'll eventually make a mistake like trying to jump over Arcfire or a Thunder spell (which is exactly what you want him to do since he has **** aerial mobility and Levin Sword aerials pretty much outrange all of his moves, not to mention he can't grab in the air). Also try to avoid going to Final Destination/an Omega stage if you can, since that's a favorable stage for Luigi in the matchup (it's not the end of the world though if you can't). His recovery is also kinda gimpable too; get him offstage and go greet him with a Nair.

Dathx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dathx77
@ Nah Nah 's explanation is pretty much on point, a few extra notes:

-Keep Thoron charged as much as possible. Every time he fireballs, you can reaction punish with Thoron.
-Once he gets too nervous to fireball, his approach is going to turn into mostly run up grab, or tomahawks. LSFair pretty much covers both of these.
-Try using elwind off-stage to knock Luigi back, you do not need to spike him. This forces Luigi to use his jump, which you can either try to punish with another Elwind/nair/LSDair.

Top Bottom