• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
RECORDING TO LOGBOOK-

"Morphology: Dark Samus. Phazon-powered entity. Powerful distance attacks. Phazon energy shield repels all weapons. Wait until it is down to attack. Avoid close contact with target.Scans indicate the presence of Phazon and your genetic material within this entity. She wears a version of the Varia Suit, altered and augmented by the Phazon within her. Primary weapons include the Missile Launcher and a scattershot version of the Power Beam. Boost and Jump abilities are superior to yours. The ability to generate Phazon energy shields is also present."

Dark Samus LIVES.

Original Post (Old)
This is my first eleventh post here and I'd like to introduce a Dark Samus mod that I've been hard at work on. This moveset is largely based off of her Echoes iteration though there are a few nods to Corruption as well.

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/EaDee
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-uLrt8F7OXs_MfWHsEVdpg

Current Metroid Prime Dark Samus moves either in or being implemented in the Moveset (Subject to change):

Moves based off of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes-

Side B- Phazon Scattershot (shoots a barrage of Phazon particles, multi-hit move)
Down B- Phazon Barrier (reflects projectiles)
Up B- Divebomb (works like Dededes, floats up and crashes down in a Phazon comet at apex)
Neutral Air- Phazon Sphere (based off of the final battle in Echoes, Dark Samus encases herself in pure, volatile Phazon energy)
Forward Throw- Siphon Beam Hurl (based off of the Phazon absorption technique Dark Samus used during various cutscenes in Echoes)

***Update***

Neutral B- Uncharged: Phazon "Blob" Beam- shoots a blob of Phazon that has a slight chance to freeze the target.
Charged: fires a thin Phazon laser that travels the entire horizontal distance of the stage distance. Inflicts heavy shield damage. Aerial charged shot will be a larger beam fired at a 45 degree angle towards the stage. Taking cues from the final DS battle in Echoes.

Dash Attack- Dark Samus performs a Phazon enhanced tackle with her arm cannon outstretched towards the target. Taking cues from the Corruption fight.

Up Tilt- Dark Samus lifts her left hand in the air and summons a bolt of lighting and energy. Taking cues from her Phazon "glacier" summoning technique in Corruption.

Forward Tilt- Dark Samus conjures a several dark tentacles. Long range, multiple hits.

Down Taunt- Phazon Thunder. Dark Samus overloads on Phazon and as a result has a blue glow to signify she's been powered up. This state will allow one enhanced version of a special move. For example. Side B will cover 1.5x the original distance and do more damage.
A brief background on the project:

I've been a huge Dark Samus fan and supporter ever since I played Metroid Prime 2: Echoes way back in 2004. That will be 10 years this November. I was so enraptured by how much of a BADASS she was. I really really digged the way Retro animated her and loved the graphical effects they used to make Phazon so aesthetic. Basically they took my favorite video game character and made her even cooler (no offense Samus)

So Brawl comes along and all we get is a Dark Samus trophy. I was hoping Corruption would have some influence on the game but it was probably released too close to the development cycle. Alright, there was next Smash right?

Fast forward to the April Nintendo Direct this year... Dark Samus is an assist trophy! WHY?! She's got 3 unique Phazon attacks to boot and would've made an excellent addition to the cast. Being incredibly salty at her exclusion, I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

DARK SAMUS LIVES (A Metroid Prime 2: Echoes moveset)

Youtube video (Made a lot of new changes to this version, I will upload a better one in the future.)

This is my first attempt at making a mod, so I'm getting help from individuals who are more experienced with coding hitboxes and collisions and whatnot. New and modified animations and graphics are all me though. I'm referencing Echoes for most of this although Corruption influence is also present. A lot of this mod takes from preexisting Dark Samus mods, albeit with major graphical and collision changes. So I'd like to credit the Nuke and Crony Dark Samus hacks. If there were others I'll credit them too.

If anyone wants to jump on board the project, shoot a message or a post.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Good luck, man. I firmly believe Dark Samus would be a great Smash character.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
For just starting off, it is not that bad. Wish you much much luck on this project of yours man.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the support, Phaazlings (ha)

Here's a new video... Dark Samus' up smash based off of the SSB4 Assist Trophy!

Narpas_sword

your work is amazing, it's awesome to see both this and the ridley topic starting up, i always felt that those 2 deserve more than fansuit samus.

just a suggestion, her roll should look more like mewtwos, with a glide. them legs flailing look a little out of character.

also, need to tone the power down on some of those attacks, i want to be able to use DS without my mate complaining =p

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
your work is amazing, it's awesome to see both this and the ridley topic starting up, i always felt that those 2 deserve more than fansuit samus.

just a suggestion, her roll should look more like mewtwos, with a glide. them legs flailing look a little out of character.

also, need to tone the power down on some of those attacks, i want to be able to use DS without my mate complaining =p
Thanks a lot!

Are you talking about the video in the title post? I agree if so, I didn't like how it looked so I changed it to something faster and more reminiscent of how she dodges during the fights in Echoes. The original roll I had was referencing how Dark Samus dodges in the Corruption fight but I don't think it fits Echoes Dark Samus too well. And I think you can see the dodge in the new Up Smash video I posted but I'm not sure.\

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure what dodge you're talking about... if it's the cartwheel, that's inspired by Corruption Dark Samus. I was thinking about using the animation for either a special or neutral move.. not sure though.

And don't worry about hitboxes as of now. It's still relatively early in the development phase and still need to get when the moveset's done.

***Also for anyone that has experience with editing textures and Models... the Echoes Dark Samus model could use some cleaning up. It's definitely not bad looking but I'd like to have it look as good as possible for when I finally release the moveset. If anyone is interested lemme know!***

Last edited:

failsnail99

Smash Cadet
this is a great moveset for just starting out.You should see if the project m unbound team will include this moveset since dark samus is a good villian rep for the metroid series

Shin F.

Smash Master
this is a great moveset for just starting out.You should see if the project m unbound team will include this moveset since dark samus is a good villian rep for the metroid series
You mean the team that uses BrawlEx with Project M, right? Because Samus isn't cloneable yet with BrawlEx, since she hasn't had an exModule made for her.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Try using the textures from the trophy model, since they're essentially the same and use up less space. Try rebuilding the materials of the model you're using so you can include a reflection and shine material as well.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Try using the textures from the trophy model, since they're essentially the same and use up less space. Try rebuilding the materials of the model you're using so you can include a reflection and shine material as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just starting to understand how to mod models... but can this be done with Blendr? I tried using the program to elongate the sphere model that Dark Samus uses for her Divebomb (found out that I could just use BB to stretch it lol) and I remember coming across a materials function.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
having just posted my support for this character in the Samus alternate costume thread, this is beautiful work :) between this and the Ridley PSA I'm liking this. I will be following this with interest

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I see you inspired her f-throw animation on that Phazon absorbing she does in MP2, giving that a use it's really cool, i'm looking forward about more of this project.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I see you inspired her f-throw animation on that Phazon absorbing she does in MP2, giving that a use it's really cool, i'm looking forward about more of this project.
Thanks. That was an awesome technique she used... I'm thinking of giving it a low chance to recover some health. It would only be around 3-4%... but we'll see what her future build is like before deciding.

And I just read this from your Project M ideas:

i also imagine DS to fall faster tan Samus, akin to her more agressive nature.

I was just thinking about this today and I totally agree. I want her to hit the ground hard, somewhere along how Falco does. I also want to give her metal bang sound effect when she hits the floor, just like in Echoes.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I was thinking about it, and you can pretty much get an entire working moveset from just echoes alone lol. you can probably include her charge shot (which "froze" you when it hit you), her super missles (but actually make them super ie a kill move at decent %'s), her boost ball (which might be op), and the phazon beam (from the battle in sanctuary fortress).

for physical attacks and throws I always felt that Dark Samus should feel like a brutal, feral fighter; something you wouldn't want to tangle with. the phazon drain beam is awesome for a throw though, keep that for sure. :) just my $0.02

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Thanks. That was an awesome technique she used... I'm thinking of giving it a low chance to recover some health. It would only be around 3-4%... but we'll see what her future build is like before deciding.

And I just read this from your Project M ideas:

i also imagine DS to fall faster tan Samus, akin to her more agressive nature.

I was just thinking about this today and I totally agree. I want her to hit the ground hard, somewhere along how Falco does. I also want to give her metal bang sound effect when she hits the floor, just like in Echoes.
Hey, that's great, keep it up.
I also wonder, what about a Corruption alt costume?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I view Dark Samus as a fast falling Samus with traits of Mewtwo (floatiness, movement), Wolf (Phazon Shield shine, aggressive looking attack animations), and P:M Lucas (Phazon Charging mechanic for powered-up versions of her special moves).

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about it, and you can pretty much get an entire working moveset from just echoes alone lol. you can probably include her charge shot (which "froze" you when it hit you), her super missles (but actually make them super ie a kill move at decent %'s), her boost ball (which might be op), and the phazon beam (from the battle in sanctuary fortress).

for physical attacks and throws I always felt that Dark Samus should feel like a brutal, feral fighter; something you wouldn't want to tangle with. the phazon drain beam is awesome for a throw though, keep that for sure. :) just my $0.02
You're right about being able to take a lot of attacks from Echoes. Other than the one's I have listed, I'm thinking of a way to implement that thin Phazon beam she uses in the Sanctuary Fortress fight, but other than a throw I'm not too sure how to have it work well. Maybe it could be a variation of her neutral b which will probably turn out to be a projectile (I'm not crazy about pseudo projectiles but oh well). I did include 3 or 4 attacks from Corruption Dark Samus though, including that up smash video I uploaded a little while ago.

And thanks for the feedback. Yeah Dark Samus (Echoes) should definitely look maniacally vicious (dat Phazon addiction). I like how she's so different in Corruption too, poised and calculating.

Hey, that's great, keep it up.
I also wonder, what about a Corruption alt costume?
I definitely want to have Corruption DS an alt, even though I'm even thinking of making another DS Corruption moveset after this one. I had to do some tinkering to be able to make the Echoes costume work, but I couldn't get the Corruption one to... I'll have to give it another go.

I view Dark Samus as a fast falling Samus with traits of Mewtwo (floatiness, movement), Wolf (Phazon Shield shine, aggressive looking attack animations), and P:M Lucas (Phazon Charging mechanic for powered-up versions of her special moves).
That's funny cause those have been my top three references while making this. I want her to look all around brutal and I've wanted a Phazon charge move since the beginning. Now that I discovered La-bit coding, it's totally in the realm of possibilites :-) which is awesome. That's how I was able to code for two versions of the up smash, and I'm thinking about doing the same for the other two smashes. Balance may be an issue, but it'd still look awesome which is my priority atm.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman

Small update. I was able to edit the textures of the model so it looks more like in Echoes Dark Samus. She needed a bit of shinyness.

Edit: Early Halloween... got this monstrosity by mistake but it looks kinda cool...

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Im loving this. The Prime games were some of my favorite of all times, so im really loving how everything looks. Even her dodge being like how it was in the games, just amazing work!

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Im loving this. The Prime games were some of my favorite of all times, so im really loving how everything looks. Even her dodge being like how it was in the games, just amazing work!
Awesome that you noticed the dodge animation :-) Yeah, I basically want her to move, sound and attack exactly how MP2 Dark Samus would.

And same, the Prime series is probably my favorite and this project is sorta my love letter to Metroid lol.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Beautiful games with beautiful battles, indeed. Dark Samus was very original despite literally being a clone. Probably my number one want, even almost surpassing Ridley for Smash. So far the choices are just all so perfect for the moves. The siphoning throw was very clever! Although I can do nothing to actually help with the character, ill be giving you my full support!

Are you thinking about Dark Samus 4 (final DS in Echoes) for the Final Smash?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Beautiful games with beautiful battles, indeed. Dark Samus was very original despite literally being a clone. Probably my number one want, even almost surpassing Ridley for Smash. So far the choices are just all so perfect for the moves. The siphoning throw was very clever! Although I can do nothing to actually help with the character, ill be giving you my full support!

Are you thinking about Dark Samus 4 (final DS in Echoes) for the Final Smash?
Thanks for the praise. I'm glad all the time I'm spending (too much) is translating to good results.

About the final smash, using DS 4 never crossed my mind. I have her Phazon Sphere (the attack where she encases herself in a ball of Phazon and shoots Phazon missiles) as her Nair at the moment, and the only other notable attack that I can remember from that fight was the big Phazon beam that tracked you. I think Smash has enough humongous beam Final Smashes so I want to come up with something a little more original.

I was thinking about having her summon a Leviathan seed and have it "corrupt" the stage for 30 seconds or so. First the seed would crash onto the stage killing anyone in it's trajectory, then there would be particles and fumes of Phazon all over the place each doing damage over time if you touch it... but this idea is definitely more for a Corruption Dark Samus moveset. If I can find a model of the Leviathan, I'm totally going with this idea lol. If not, I was thinking about something along the lines of Giga Bowser, just having her be a super powered version of herself for a set time.

But the Final Smash will be one of the last things I get to and that's a ways away!

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Ah, I see. Good choice. I guess I was thinking of it like a slowed down Pikachu Volt Tackle. She would hover around about 3/4 the movement speed but a lot more control. When you press the attack, she will shrink her Phazon shield and blast out Phazon just as she did in DS4 mode, but with explosive power instead of a bunch of little absorbable phazon bits, hehe.

Very interesting idea with the Leviathan, clever! Its like Olimar's End of Night but in reverse. As for a Giga-Bowser form, she could perhaps transform into Metroid Prime Essence, her original form after all. Maybe a bit more aggressive Mr. G&W type of deal, or maybe even a Beast Ganon lunge, just ramming though the stage as her Essence. The Essence has a trophy you could work off too to make it easier.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I see. Good choice. I guess I was thinking of it like a slowed down Pikachu Volt Tackle. She would hover around about 3/4 the movement speed but a lot more control. When you press the attack, she will shrink her Phazon shield and blast out Phazon just as she did in DS4 mode, but with explosive power instead of a bunch of little absorbable phazon bits, hehe.

Very interesting idea with the Leviathan, clever! Its like Olimar's End of Night but in reverse. As for a Giga-Bowser form, she could perhaps transform into Metroid Prime Essence, her original form after all. Maybe a bit more aggressive Mr. G&W type of deal, or maybe even a Beast Ganon lunge, just ramming though the stage as her Essence. The Essence has a trophy you could work off too to make it easier.
All good ideas are welcome so keep em coming.

And if I could find someone to get the trophy to work, that'd be a amazing. Animating the tentacles is probably not an easy task though..

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
What are you working on right now?
Guess I should take this opportunity to keep people interested in the project lol.

I've been working on her tilts lately. The animations still need work but here's up tilt so far. The gif makes in look faster than it is:

I want a thunderbolt to form from her palm along with a streak of white light, like the attack she uses in Corruption to summon those huge Phazon glaciers.

Been also working on importing various graphics from bosses to make her look cooler. For example, if you fight Porky he has this very good looking thunder attack that I want to use for her taunt (which is based off her death from the first fight in Echoes)

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
If you had to ballpark a percent, how much would you say is finished?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
If you had to ballpark a percent, how much would you say is finished?
Maybe 60%. Right now I'm focusing on editing her animations to make sure she animates smoothly throughout transitions. For example, the ledge animations (cliffwait, cliffattack, cliffjump, etc.) and damage animations are all being reworked to flow into her wait stance. This is probably not a big deal but I'm OCD about her looking as good as I can lol. So this is taking me some time but thankfully the animations are looking good.

Next on the agenda is creating her neutral B move. For the longest time I'd been up in the air between using a projectile attack and her boost ball and i think I'm gonna go with a projectile. It will have two variations and each will be worked for ground and air versions.

***if there's a way to give a Marth PSA file a crawl attack like Samus, I would put her boost ball attack here, but I don't know if this is possible. If anyone has any info please share!***

A.) Ground, uncharged- fires a burst of Phazon energy that has a small chance to freeze. I'll rework the ice gfx upon freeze to make it look like Phazon too :teeth:

B.) ground, charged- fires a think beam similar to what she does in the Echoes elevator fight. This will be a near instant beam ala. Ivysaur's solar beam but will probably be weaker and a bit longer startup.

C.) air, uncharged- same as ground, different animation

D.) Air, charged- this will be the attack she uses in the final fight in Echoes. Dark samus will absorb Phazon particles then fire a massive (nowhere near Samus FS huge but comparable lol ) Phazon beam at a 45 degree angle towards the ground.

Last edited:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
There are a lot of different directions that you could take the standard B...

I would say that B and D would be the logical direction to go

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I just noticed.... is your current side-b, the phazon scattershot, from one of Tabuu's attacks? If so, does it have projectile properties? reflectable/absorb-able/link's shield-able etc

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I just noticed.... is your current side-b, the phazon scattershot, from one of Tabuu's attacks? If so, does it have projectile properties? reflectable/absorb-able/link's shield-able etc
If I had to guess off the top of my head, no.

Pretty sure the moveset is over Marth, so that's a double no.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
What ideas do you have for recolors?
I'm not at this stage yet, but I'm DEFINITELY gonna have a black and red color scheme to "echo" the Phazon Suit's colors!

There are a lot of different directions that you could take the standard B...

I would say that B and D would be the logical direction to go
The idea is that there would be 4 variations of the move, a charged and uncharged version for both ground and air. This shouldn't be difficult to implement. The hardest part is the animations and making sure the momentum on DS feels "right"

Goooood eye. The Phazon Scattershot uses Tabuu's PtcMachineGun GFX. The hitboxes are nothing like his though. I made them using 3 special offensive collision bubbles that stretch some ways horizontally, and have a rehit value of every 4 or 5 frames (to simulate getting hit multiple times). If you can visualize a perfectly horizontal line, then a line angled 45 degrees above and below that's what the attack is essentially.

I don't think the move should be reflectable but I'd like it to be able to be absorbed. If there's a way of doing this it'll be done by release.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This looks promising! I've always believed that if Ridley couldn't get into Smash somehow, that Dark Samus was the best alternative for the true Metroid newcomer that we've all been waiting for. But SSB4 robbed us of that opportunity of ever hoping for them, even as DLC.

The thought of seeing Samus finally extracting her revenge on both Ridley and Dark Samus with her Final Smash has been on my mind for years, as far as Smash speculation goes. I wish you the best of luck.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for not updating this often. Here's a little animation preview... the Wait stance. All comments, good and bad are appreciated. I'm bent on getting every animation looking as good as possible so any suggestions are welcomed.

Top Bottom