• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair to Footstool Edgeguard

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Hey, everyone! Today I was just messing around on for glory and I think I may have discovered a cool edgeguard set up.

(http://youtu.be/4-6ss8vbV4Y)

Okay, as we all know, the first, second, and third hits of dair keep the opponent kind of in place, or stationary, in order to allow the next hit to connect, and only the fourth hit has knockback.

What I am theorizing is that by connecting only the first three hits or less, the opponent will he open for a footstool, as they do not take any knockback and continue to fall down.

To land this, it is important that you position yourself in a way that only the first three hits or less of dair hit. As shown in the video, I used float to help position my self both vertically and horizontally to set up for the dair. Then, as you use dair, if you're edge guarding on the left side of the stage, you're going to want to move diagonally to the left. The opponent will be holding right so that they can get as close to the stage as possible to recover. (For edge guarding on the right side of the stage, reverse the direction!) As you are moving in the opposite direction of your opponent, they will DI or get out of dair by the fourth hit. Then, simply follow them down and bam, footstool!

I do not know much about this yet and am unsure exactly how this works and all of the variable that effect it, and I would appreciate anyone who has any input, so please share it!

Stay Peachy.

Key313

Smash Cadet
When practicing d-air things in training I found that if the spacing is bad and one of the middle hits of it misses the computer would jump and evade the rest. In actual matches I have been hit with n-airs and such in this situation. There is very little hitstun. Because of this I think that if they are aware or like to press buttons they will be able to get away from this easily. It's still something to keep in mind though. Kinda like how the first few hits can clip Falcon out of his recovery and if they don't notice right away they fall too far to recover.

Last edited:

pokio55

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokio55
I'll be sure to play around with this a little bit in "The Lab". Anyway, good stuff m8.

And ayy lmao nichze profile pic

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Okay so, I can confirm that you would be able to hit up b to avoid the footstool. However, this could be a very good tool against jigglypuff and characters with no hitbox on their up b. Additionally, if you snatch their jump with the dair and their up b doesnt have enough range, they may die anyways. Not sure on this but I will do some testing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom