• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Custom Parts in Classic Mode

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Is it just me or does the customs you get in Classic seem to be based more off of the stage you were fighting on rather than the fighter you're using?
For example: playing 8 player smash on Onett seems to get me Ness customs most of the time and I haven't even touched him but I've got all his customs.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've noticed this myself at times. Whenever you get custom parts as your rewards, they'll usually be affiliated with the franchise that the chosen stage originated from.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I've noticed this myself at times. Whenever you get custom parts as your rewards, they'll usually be affiliated with the franchise that the chosen stage originated from.
I think this is a really bad way to unlock customs. I've never been on Gaur Plains in Classic before, so that means my chances of getting Shulk's customs instantly decrease even if I play Shulk.
Why?

d00derino

Smash Cadet
I agree, it's a pretty poor way to grind towards the end. I haven't found a good way to get moves aside from All-Star on Hard. Even then, you'll wind up with moves for other people. Totally fair...

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I resorted to playing Target Blast repeatedly in order to get new custom moves instead of All-Star or Classic mode. It's slow, but I'm eventually getting the custom moves for the characters. However, at least in Target Blast, the game sometimes most frequently gives you custom moves and equipment for another character that you played instead of the character you are currently using. For example, you may have played as Mr. Game & Watch just recently. When you play as Sonic in Target Blast right afterwards, you might get Mr. Game & Watch's equipment and custom moves more frequently instead. It's strange that the game does this.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
I was up last night grinding All-Star on Hard and I have to say it's the most consistent way I've gotten moves. More than Trophy Rush which a lot of people swear by. You just need to learn some patterns:
  • If by the 2nd or 3rd round you're still getting equipment or other characters' moves you probably won't be getting moves for the guy you're playing as. Start over.
  • If you're getting duplicate moves for the guy you're playing as, don't stop. It's a good sign that you'll continue to get moves.
Aside from those, it's a hard nut to crack. I'm down to 8 left, from the Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby franchises. This makes Crazy Orders a bit easier to single out, but lately I haven't been getting custom moves there at all. Like, after 20 turns plus. I think it has to do with the build/character you use. I have a home-run Mario that I keep using and I notice that I get nothing but equipment with him. If I switch to Greninja, I'll have better odds, but no bat...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least you get to keep whatever rewards you've collected if you fail All-Star mode. Losing in Classic or Crazy Orders can pretty much take away portions of your rewards, which really sucks if you lost a new custom special, outfit, or headgear.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
All-Star and Trophy Rush are the only modes that bias custom parts towards the player character, but Trophy Rush has a more consistent bias. Smash Tour kind of shotguns all over the place, and Classic oddly has a bias towards the series related to the stage you're playing on(for example, I found myself playing on Melee Yoshi's a lot, and as a result, Yoshi was one of the first characters that I got all the moves for). Trophy Rush usually gives me around 3-4 parts per good run, but at only 2:30 per round, it's more spammable than All-Star. All-Star takes longer, but provides more parts per play-through(especially if you play on Hard and/or clear every stage). The best way that I've found is that All-Star is good for getting a handful at once, and then when a certain character only needs a few more, Trophy Rush is great for finishing out a specific character.

Top Bottom