• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my ICs!

schoin

Smash Cadet
Don't desynch so much in this match up, especially the way you tried to start them by randomly sidestepping (in fact there may have been a moment in that match where you rolled>sidestep desynch *facepalm*). You need to hit Jiggs hard, because against a good Jiggs you won't hit often.

Also don't throw out random dsmashes vs jiggs. You were lucky against this person as he plays a grounded Jiggs so it would pay off, but against a bair spam you're just setting yourself up.

Learn when to punish(/and not to) with shieldgrabs, you got lucky a couple of times because the Jiggs buggered up on spacing, but there were times after getting hit you threw out empty grabs. Instead WDoos (if you can that is, if not LEARN THIS!) and then grab/ whatever.

It's cool that you can start a hand off, I'm not sure if you were spamming them to show that or not, but usually it's best just to smash off the grab (unless you're at the edge ofc then handoff all you want). Jiggs will die hella early if you can get the grab>smash, if you're able to grab Jiggs and she's living till 100% you're doing it wrong. Also when you have the percent BLIZZARD, almost every grab should be accompanied by blizzard and headbutting, not doing so is giving up free damage.

All that said good luck with your ICs dude they look like they have bountiful potential.

Cauterize

Smash Cadet
Yeah as I watched the match I was thinking to my self "Why am I doing ____" I wasn't really thinking at all I guess. But then again that was my first game as ICs in weeks (no johns :D) but thanks for pointing out my mistakes I will be sure to improve in those areas and work on using wdoos. I'll have more videos posted these coming weeks so hopefully there will be an improvement :D

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I disagree partly with the "if you hit, hit hard" advice, against puff every small chip of damage counts.

Reading your post that you actually did not think too much gives me something that you could think on, that has helped me getting a nice mindset in a few matchups: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

Was gonna link a Marth Dtilt guide too (since it´s good for "setting up a learning playstyle), but it doesn´t seem sticked on the Marth boards anymore, which is a bit sad since it´s probably the best Marthguide I read.

How a Marthguide would apply to ICs is just that it shows how good it can be to base a playstyle against a "simple safe(nothing ICs have though) move" and from there move on.

I would only recommend blizzard(in grabs) above like 80%, since some players can mash out earlier then that, but of course, use it more against the players that don´t =)

Also, try to figure out different stage strategies, like how to use the platforms to pressure but also where to be onstage, and which % different moves kills at different positions.

schoin

Smash Cadet
80% seems fairly high for blizzarding especially vs jigglypuff where she's within killing percent around there, though not 100% sure (maybe get some frame data)?

Admittedly I'm not 100% sure about the match up vs Jiggs, but I was under the impression that good Jiggs players make it RIDICULOUSLY hard to get hit whilst simultaneously punishing with bair spam against any attack that you end up approaching with, which is why I have a 'hit hard mindset' (though 'hard' in my case is basically anything that does above 10%)

At the end of the day we could all use some helpful ideas, so I'm completely open to criticisms :D

Top Bottom