• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create your DLC likeliness chart!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New chance chart:

100%- Ryu, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy
99%- Wolf
90%- (Not shown) RH character
75%- Chorus Kids
60%- Dixie Kong
50%- Ice Climbers, Inklings
25%- King K. Rool, Professor Layton, Rayman, Young Link, Cross
20%- Jibanyan, Snake, Captain Toad, Bayonetta, Toon Zelda
17.5%- Chibi Robo
15%- Impa, Pichu, Wonder Red, Krystal, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Paper Mario, Tetra, Monita
10%- Daisy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ray MK, Quote, Geno, Phoenix Wright, Mach Rider
7.5%- Ninten, Lip, Sceptile, Shovel Knight, Shantae
5%- Henry Fleming
1%- Banjo & Kazooie and Simon Belmont
0.01%- Ridley

Based on the currently rated RTC characters.
I might have to raise the chances of the other veterans (Pichu, Ivysaur, Squirrel) soon.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
New chance chart:

99%- Wolf
75%- Chorus Kids
60%- Dixie Kong
15%- Impa, Pichu, Wonder Red, Krystal, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Paper Mario, Tetra, Monita
5%- Henry Fleming
0.01%- Ridley

I might have to raise the chances of the other veterans (Pichu, Ivysaur, Squirrel) soon.
What happen with the Chibi-Robo Rate? xD

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's a 17.5% rating.
Given his push with the new game and the new amiibo (something niche franchises barely have unless they are playable in Smash), he's slightly likelier than most characters now. I'll go edit it out.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Not counting the already confirmed Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu for obvious reasons:

I'm not putting SS tier for anyone, because we never truly know unless there's a leak.

S: Wolf - The one character that I'd be shocked if he didn't get in

A: King K. Rool - It's true while K. Rool and Isaac are fighting tooth and nail for the top spot in the West, Isaac doesn't really have that same fanbase in Japan, where K. Rool tops charts consistently in both regions. His fanbase is far reaching and his campaign is full steam ahead. He works so well it's not even funny. More villains, more heavyweights, more projectile / trap based character, another DK rep, K. Rool knocks out a whole flock of birds with one stone. He's no shoe in by any means, but he's the most likely out of any.

B: Isaac, Bandanna Dee - I'd place Isaac below K. Rool only for the fact that he's not so hot over in Japan as much as he is over here. Bandanna Dee is just shy of A rank for me if only because he's insanely popular for the few times he's actually name dropped, both in the West and East. I just don't know what kind of mass appeal he has to the hordes of casual voters.

C: Inklings - Inklings had a successful release of Splatoon recently and, even though we already had Mii Costumes which might dissuade people from voting thinking that "Oh, well, they're already mii costumes so there's no point", the possibility is still there. My thinking is, the ONLY reason I feel the Inklings weren't made DLC and instead got stuck with Mii Costumes is that the devs didn't want to screw around with a paint mechanic which could be hell on the 3DS. I think they won't happen, but I could be proved wrong.

D - F: I can't say I have the knowledge to make such calls. I just know third parties are going to have a rough time, although Shovel Knight and Shantae both got a boost in popularity thanks to Smashified (which we can only guess the impact it has on the Ballot and I can't imagine it being that much).

Confirmed: Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu
S: Wolf
A: King K. Rool
B: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac
C: Captain Toad, Inkling, Impa, Paper Mario
D: Chibi-Robo, Krystal, Rhythm Heaven character, Wonder Red
E: Ivysaur, Ray, Rayman, Squirtle
F: Pichu, Shantae, Snake, Young Link

Changes:
- Upgraded Roy and Ryu to confirmed tier.
- Downgraded Inkling from B tier to C tier due to Inkling costumes being confirmed for DLC.
- Downgraded Krystal from C tier to D tier due to being unlikely to appear in SFZ (story apparently occurs before Adventures).
- Downgraded Ray from D tier to E tier due to Custom Robo not getting a new game since 2007.
- Downgraded Squirtle and Ivysaur from C tier to E tier due to lack of demand and multiple DLC Pokemon reps unlikely to happen.
- Downgraded Snake from E tier to F tier due to Konami being a mess and Kojima having apparently left Konami.
- Replaced Indie character with Shantae because I think she's the only Indie character that has at least a low chance of being in Smash.
- Removed Sceptile because I don't think he has any chance to be in the game (kept Pichu and Young Link only because of their veteran status).
- Removed the Ice Climbers, because a recently translated Sakurai's interview strongly suggests that they won't happen.
- Removed the unnecessary Z tier that included characters that have no chance in my opinion.
Reposting my own chart, as I have updated it after confirmations of Roy and Ryu.

EDIT: Another change after E3.

EDIT: Small update.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Sorry for abandoning this thread, that's mostly because of the Roy and Ryu debacle when their files got leaked combined with the lack of custom moves for Mewtwo which completely deflated my hype towards DLC characters as a whole at the time (I'm still salty about it, though I kinda got over it now).

Analyzing many characters in Rate Their Chances made me reconsider the chances of many characters. With how much time have passed before @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 bumped this thread I think we should make yet another reboot... sorry guys :lol: Now I'll try to keep being consistent with my support towards this thread. I'm going to update my own chart soon!

(I remember in my original chart I put both Lucas and Roy in E tier and I didn't consider Ryu as a contender... How wrong I was :laugh:)

[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]​

Edit: with Roy and Ryu confirmed, they're not worth mentioning in your charts anymore. But with the former being in D tier and the later not even rated, we can say we got caught off-guard :laugh:

Upgraded:
Bandanna Dee: C > B
Rhythm Heaven character: C > B
Impa: D > C
Ivysaur: E > C
Krystal: D > C
Paper Mario: D > C
Squirtle: E > C
New Sonic series character: F > D
Pichu: E > D
Bayonetta: F > E
Sceptile: F > E

Downgraded:
Captain Toad: S > A
King K. Rool: S > A
Inkling: A > D (ouch)
Conker: F > FFF minus downright impossible pipe dream tier :p

Added:
Professor Layton in D tier
Daisy in E tier
Toon Zelda in E tier

Replaced:
Magician Mii Fighter for 4th Mii Fighter
Any indie third-party for Shantae

Removed:
Roy (confirmed)

Okay, time to explain my reasoning for each of my changes:
> I don't feel like anyone besides Wolf is "more likely than not" material at this point. Though Captain Toad and King K. Rool are still top tier contenders in my book.
> The idea of a Rhythm Heaven character seems somewhat likely I think. At least higher than C tier.
> Bandanna Dee, Impa, Krystal and Paper Mario are reasonably popular character choices in their own right and I feel like I didn't give them enough credit.
> The fact we got three new DLC characters at one in the latest update tells me we're going to get a total of more than 6 DLC characters, and despite having their overall support overshadowed by other veterans and a decent amount of newcomers, Squirtle and Ivysaur seem like reasonable picks for DLC due to lacking some issues like unpopularity, technical difficulties or third-party ownership.
> I had a lot of faith in Inklings before, but now I think their chances are really iffy. The costumes and post-release trophy I think mean that Nintendo has no plans to include Inklings as playable in SSB4, at least not as of now, maybe at some point in the future if they change their opinion. But what makes them really unlikely I think is the ink mechanic, which I think would cause technical issues on the 3DS version, and I see them rejected for the same reason why Ice Climbers got axed. Maybe there would be a different moveset approach instead, but not using an ink mechanic I think would detract from what Inklings are and makes them unique.
> Ryu pretty much opened the floodgates for more third-party characters owned by a company which already has a playable character in Smash Bros. Considering the popularity of the Sonic series, I could see it getting another character maybe.
> Professor Layton is less than 10 year old but already has a decent legacy on his own behind him on the DS and 3DS era. He's pretty popular and I think he's a decent contender, though not being owned by Nintendo makes him unlikely by default.
> With more cut characters returning I think I should give Pichu more credits than I originally gave it for, but his low demand combined with his unpopularity makes him unlikely in my book.
> Bayonetta I think is extremely unlikely, though I think her inclusion would make some sense. It sounds more like something that would be unprecedented than something downright impossible.
> Daisy I think isn't the kind of character in Sakurai's book for playable role, especially after how harshly he deconfirmed Waluigi. Captain Toad I think would make much more sense for a new Mario series character.
> Okay, my 0.05% chances rating for Sceptile in the RTC thread was maybe too harsh... Sakurai may potentially be aware of the demand for a Grass starter after all. But if he wants a Grass starter Ivysaur seems much more likely due to veteran status, or heck, even Venusaur with a moveset similar to Ivysaur's seems much more likely in my book.
> I don't see Toon Zelda happening, she was most likely an afterthought for Brawl and I can't see a semi-clone who's just another character in a different artstyle as a DLC newcomer.
Conker's mostly a joke, but he's one of the few characters who I think is downright impossible. He's owned by Rare, comes from a M-rated game, and directly competes with Banjo-Kazooie who have more support and legacy behind them. I'd be utterly shocked if he somehow made in Smash.

Last edited:

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
My updated chart after E3, not too many changes but here it goes:

S: Wolf (Please Sakurai, you brought back Lucas and Roy! Though tbh, he still has a better chance than anyone else, with or without my bias)

A: King K Rool, Isaac

B: Dixie Kong, Ice Climbers, Xenoblade Rep (Reyn/Fiora), Inkling, Zelda Rep

C: Snake, Chorus Kids, Bandana Dee, Xenoblade X Rep, Tom Knook, Wonder Red

D: Another Sonic Rep (Shadow/Tails/Knuckles), Professor Layton (*sigh*), Phoenix Wright (*sigh again*),
Krystal, Rayman, Squirtle/Ivysaur, Monita, Another Mario Rep (Daisy/Toad), Another Pokemon Rep, Simon Belmont
Bayonetta

F: Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, Wii Safety Guy, Young Link, Pichu,
Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, Bomberman, Another Mother Rep, Another F-Zero Rep

Not Gonna Happen: Shrek, Goku, Naruto, Cory Baxter, Hank Hill, Tetris Piece

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ever since Mewtwo has been confirmed for DLC everyone wants to believe that their most wanted character will join the battle in SSB4 as a downloadable fighter. After confirming Mewtwo's arrival in the 50-Fact Extravaganza, it was later revealed that Lucas, who failed to be in the initial SSB4 roster, was going to be released as a DLC fighter in order to satisfy those who missed him. It also has been confirmed that more DLC fighters are coming later, and Nintendo put an official ballot online in order to allow fans to suggest new character ideas directly to them!

We don't exactly know how the DLC newcomers will be chosen, but knowing that a lot of people missed Lucas and an official ballot has been added online, we can assume that Nintendo will try to satisfy their fans as much as possible by adding popular choices. Then again, will a character's popularity alone will allow it to be a DLC fighter? Or maybe there are other criteria?

I think that most people who joined Smashboards before SSB4's release to speculate about its roster were familiar with the Rate Their Chances game, whose purpose was to determine who were the most likely newcomers, so we could later compare our results with what actually happened, and laugh at how we were wrong. Of course some characters like Little Mac and Palutena were considered as extremely likely and became eventually playable newcomers, but at the same time we gave high chances to characters like Chrom and King K. Rool but they're not playable, while we highly underestimated chances for Rosalina and Duck Hunt (referred as Duck Hunt Dog before his confirmation), and Greninja wasn't even considered!
Now the purpose of this thread is to determine who are the most likely characters to join the battle after the game's release thanks to DLCs, according to fans. In order to participate to the project, post your own DLC likeliness chart using the tier system shown bellow, and I'm regularly going to update a general DLC likeliness chart taking into account everyone's expectations. (I'll not put in the general chart characters listed only in a few ones.)

Currently confirmed DLC fighters:
> Mewtwo was the first DLC character revealed in the 50-Fact Extravaganza, even before the Wii U version launched. This thread was created after his confirmation, which means he wasn't rated.
> Lucas was the second DLC character to be revealed in the April 2015 Direct. Prior to his confirmation, we rated him B tier.
> Roy was the third DLC character revealed; we first found evidence of him through data files found in the 1.0.6 update, before his former reveal in the June Smash DLC presentation. We weren't confident about him at all due to redundancy concerns, and we put him in D tier. Failing in our predictions is part of the magic of speculation, isn't it?
> Ryu was the fourth DLC character revealed; similar to Roy, evidence of him was found in the 1.0.6 update, then he was officially revealed in the same presentation as him. This one completely caught us off-guard because we generally didn't consider him as a contender; as such he wasn't even rated!

The different tiers which will be used for this thread are the following: SSS; S; A; B; C; D; E; F. Try to be consistent with this chart system so I can easily take into account your opinion. Here are suggested benchmarks:
> SSS: extremely likely, almost a shoo-in (~95%)
> S: very likely, actually more likely than not (~55%)
> A: fairly likely, close to a coin flip (~40%)
> B: solid chance, but not exactly likely (~25%)
> C: solid chance, but will most likely not happen (~15%)
> D: possible, but very low chance (~5%)
> E: possible, but extremely low chance (~1%)
> F: pipe dream, borderline negligible chance (~0.1%) you don't need to put a bunch of deconfirmed characters such as Chrom and Ridley in this tier.

The goal is not to create a want chart. I you want to vote for your favourite DLC choices I suggest you to visit this thread. Also try to be as unbiased as possible - don't put your most wanted in A or above just because it's your most wanted. You're free to explain some of your choices, but please respect the opinion of other people and don't let this thread turn into an endless debate or flame war. If you changed your mind just repost and specify that it's not your first post here, but try to at least wait a little before reposting :p

Current general chart
None for now. With a new reboot I'm waiting for more votes to create one.

[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]​

So I'm going to post my own expectation chart:

> SSS tier:
Wolf

> S tier:
... nothing.

> A tier:
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

> B tier:
Bandanna Dee
Marshal/Chorus Kids/whatever from Rhythm Heaven

> C tier:
Isaac
Impa
Ivysaur
Krystal
Paper Mario
Squirtle

> D tier:
4th Mii Fighter
Chibi-Robo
Inkling
New Sonic series character
Pichu
Professor Layton
Rayman
Solid Snake
Wonder Red

> E tier:
Banjo-Kazooie
Bayonetta
Codename S.T.E.A.M. character
Daisy
Ice Climbers
Sceptile
Toon Zelda
Young Link

> F tier:
Globox
Magikarp
Shantae
Tetris Block
Tharja

... and Conker in FFF minus downright impossible pipe dream tier.

Edit 01/10/2015: updated my chart for the first time, here are the changes I did
Edit 01/13/2015: changed Krystal's rating
Edit 01/24/2015: put Krystal back to D tier, here's by reasoning
Edit 04/05/2015: major update for my chart, here are the changes I did
Edit 04/09/2015: added Paper Mario
Edit 06/16/2015: major update for my chart, here are the chances I did
SSS (Meta Knight) Tier:
Wolf

S Tier:
King K. Rool

A Tier:
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Isaac

B Tier:
Captain Toad
Pichu
Fire Emblem Character

C Tier:
Impa
Inkling
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Paper Mario
Medusa
Daisy
Rhythm Heaven Character
Cranky Kong

D Tier:
Ice Climbers
Solid Snake
Chibi Robo
Rayman
Krystal
Metroid Character
Sceptile

E Tier:
Young Link
Toon Zelda
Codename S.T.E.A.M. Character
Bayonetta
Lanky Kong
Bomberman

F Tier:
Banjo-Kazooie
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Crash Bandicot
Geno
Magikarp

Super F Tier (?):

Conker
Goku
Shrek
Steve
Reggienator
Ridley (?)
Chrom (?)

Edit: More characters now.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks for participating! Before updating the general chart, here are a few changes I do to my list:

> Adding Bomberman in D tier
> Adding Geno in F tier
> Moving Solid Snake to a new no clue category

The new no clue category allows you to completely abstain from rating someone when you really have no idea about their chances. Note that it's different from not mentioning a character at all, because the later actually participates to decreasing the character's rating!

Okay now, here's the new chart! Note that with only six persons who participated to creating the new chart as of now, it may not be accurate. For this reason I'm waiting for more votes!

Here are the changes compared to the previous chart:

Upgraded:
Wolf: S > SSS
Bandana Dee: C > B
Pichu: E > D

Downgraded:
Solid Snake: C > D
Banjo-Kazooie: E > F

Added:
Chibi-Robo in D tier
Daisy in D tier
Geno in E tier
Professor Layton in E tier
Sceptile in E tier
Toon Zelda in E tier
Any Codename S.T.E.A.M. character in E tier
Shantae in F tier

Removed:
Roy (confirmed)
Any third-party character (confirmed)
Any indie third-party character (they'll now be rated separately)

Fun fact, @ Rockaphin Rockaphin was the only voter who mentioned Ryu in his chart prior to the data leak, putting him in E tier. At least you thought about him while nobody else did... congratulations Rockaphin :laugh:

I decided to make an alternative chart based on Sakurai's interview translated by Source Gaming, which strongly implied that pre-ballot is over and rest will be fan service, meaning that popularity matters more than ever. Reason why I made an alternative chart instead of updating my other one is because the interview could be mistranslated or misinterprened.

S: King K. Rool, Wolf
A: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac
B: Inkling, Paper Mario
C: Captain Toad, Krystal
D: Chibi-Robo, Impa, Ray, Rayman, Wonder Red
E: Pichu, Shantae, Snake

Explanations for tiers:
S: Extremely popular characters in both Japan and West
A: Very popular characters
B: Popular characters
C: Fairly popular characters
D: Characters that are only popular in either Japan (Ray) or West (Rayman, Wonder Red) or are only somewhat popular in both (Chibi-Robo, Impa)
E: Popular characters that have something against their inclusion (Snake = Konami, Pichu = Japan-only popularity and Pokemon rep being already included) or is a popular but non-iconic third-party (Shantae)

Differences to other chart:
Upgraded
King K. Rool A > S
Bandana Dee B > A
Dixie Kong B > A
Isaac B > A
Paper Mario C > B
Inkling C > B
Krystal D > C
Ray E > D
Shantae F > E
Snake F > E
Pichu F > E

Downgraded
Impa C > D

Removed:
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Young Link
Rhythm Heaven character
Ice Climbers

Three veterans suffer from lack of demand in both Japan and West, and while RH character is generally fairly demanded, no potential RH character has enough demand individually. Ice Climbers were removed due to a recently translated Sakurai's interview strongly suggesting that they won't happen.

EDIT: Small update.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
S:
Isaac

A:
:lucas:
:wolf:

B:
:popo:(as 1 charcter and nana as alt skin)
exitebike

C:
Dixie kong
Rayman
Impa

D:
Geno
:roypm:
mach rider
ray
Dk jr.

E:
Captian toad
:snake:
:pichumelee:
:linkmelee:
king k. rool
marshal
:kirby64:
lip
ninten
Bandana dee

F:
:ivysaur:
:squirtle:
any other 3rd party
sceptile
Captian rainbow
Update after hearing sakurai saying "fan service"

S

A
King k. Rool
Isaac

B
Ray MK
:popo:

C
Dixie kong
Mach rider
Excitebike
Marshal

D
Geno
Bomberman
Impa
Bandana dee
Chibi-robo
Daisy
Tetra

E
Rayman
Lip
Captain toad
Paper Mario
Daisy
Krystal
:younglinkmelee:
:pt:(It could happen without pokemons)
Banjo-kazooie
Ganon
Wonder red

F
Another Pokemon
Another mother character
Another fire emblem character
Dig-dug
Alex Kidd
Shantae
DK jr.
Nester
Sukapon
Inkling
Captain rainbow
Crash
Bayonetta
King hippo

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
New chance chart:

99%- Wolf
75%- Chorus Kids
60%- Dixie Kong
17.5%- Chibi Robo
5%- Henry Fleming
0.01%- Ridley

This chart o.o. You placed Impa krystal and isaac in the same position as Monita... below professor Layton, Young Link and that cat from thing that i doubt many people are voting for o.o. I'm confused...

It's fan service, Sakurai already said he's staying true to his fans this time around. Also why is K.Rool below so low down.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Was bored, so I made this :044: I want the picture to be displayed under spoiler, not the imgur link. Can someone help me? :)

This chart is obiously not made around actual likeliness, I just threw in what I'd like to see as DLC myself (except Wolf, he's so popular that I just included him).

Also, I would have included some of my most wanted characters if they weren't in the game already...
* Ridley
* Waluigi
* Ghirahim

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Was bored, so I made this :044: I want the picture to be displayed under spoiler, not the imgur link. Can someone help me? :)

This chart is obiously not made around actual likeliness, I just threw in what I'd like to see as DLC myself (except Wolf, he's so popular that I just included him).

Also, I would have included some of my most wanted characters if they weren't in the game already...
* Ridley
* Waluigi
* Ghirahim

You go up to the little image icon near the emotes (the icon next to the faces/emotes) and put in the URL, in this case
That's how you wanted it, right? By the way, the graphics on that list are absolutely phenomenal, looks really professional!

kylexv

Smash Master
Here's mine:
DLC Likeliness Chart.png

S Tier: Wolf, King K. Rool
A Tier: Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee
B Tier: Ice Climbers, Inkling, Captain Toad, Rayman, Zelda Rep
C Tier: Paper Mario, Krystal, Snake, Chibi-Robo, Wonder Red
D Tier: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Pichu, Chorus Kids, Daisy, Shantae (Any Indie rep goes here)
F Tier: Geno, Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, Chrom

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
@ Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma since you're doing an "alternate" chart rather than one that "overwrites" the one you posted initially, how do I count your vote? Maybe an "average" chart based from both your old and new chart getting most of its influence from the new one? I'm planning to update the general chart soon, so it would be very useful for me. Thanks!

@ Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma since you're doing an "alternate" chart rather than one that "overwrites" the one you posted initially, how do I count your vote? Maybe an "average" chart based from both your old and new chart getting most of its influence from the new one? I'm planning to update the general chart soon, so it would be very useful for me. Thanks!
Just count my new chart. I think it's fairly realistic even if pre-ballot wasn't over yet.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
My top 5 wanted:
Isaac
Wolf
King K.Rool
Paper Mario
Shantae

If I had to pick one King K. Rool since he deserves a slot the mosr.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
First, I'm adding Ray MK to D tier in order to make him eligible for appearing in the general chart (at least half the number of posted charts).

So here's the updated general chart:

Upgraded:
Isaac: B > A
Ice Climbers: D > C
Rayman: D > C
Banjo-Kazooie: F > E

Downgraded:
Wolf: SSS > S
Inkling: B > C

Added:
Ray MK in E tier

Removed:
Professor Layton
Toon Zelda

Removed characters who didn't have enough votes to be in the general chart. Add them to your chart if you want to see them in the general chart!

My top 5 wanted:
Isaac
Wolf
King K.Rool
Paper Mario
Shantae

If I had to pick one King K. Rool since he deserves a slot the mosr.
That's not the purpose of this thread :glare:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Not sure I agree entirely with the given percentages in the letter grades, but nonetheless:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Went and wrote out some names I've heard of and tried to rate them by criteria.

The names are from some random polls, some personal thoughts, plus some other users here have given.

Not exactly trying to calculate by stats, just to make up my mind on who has more chance when it comes to characters that I personally hate/have easy bias with.
SSS Meta Knight Tier: None
S Ice Climber Tier (Without Ice Climber): Wolf, King K Rool (20)
A Tier: Ice Climbers (19), Snake (17)
B Tier: Dixie Kong (16), Bandanna Waddle Dee, Krystal (15), Inkling, Pichu (14)
C Tier: Ridley, Squirtle, Ivysaur (13), Isaac, RH Rep (12), Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Slippy Toad (11)
D Tier: Young Link, Sceptile, Custom Robo, Leon Powalski(10), Daisy, Impa (9), Jibanyan (8)
E Tier: Wonder Red (7), Shantae, Bayonetta (6), Shovel Knight, Arle, Banjoe Kazooie (5)

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
First, I'm adding Ray MK to D tier in order to make him eligible for appearing in the general chart (at least half the number of posted charts).

So here's the updated general chart:

Upgraded:
Isaac: B > A
Ice Climbers: D > C
Rayman: D > C
Banjo-Kazooie: F > E

Downgraded:
Wolf: SSS > S
Inkling: B > C

Added:
Ray MK in E tier

Removed:
Professor Layton
Toon Zelda

Removed characters who didn't have enough votes to be in the general chart. Add them to your chart if you want to see them in the general chart!

That's not the purpose of this thread :glare:
Well sorry, I thought we were voting to see who is the most likely person/people.

Likeliness "Tier list"

S: King K. Rool & Wolf
A: Isaac & Inkling
B: Paper Mario&Marshall/Chorus kids&Dixie Kong
C: Bandana Dee&Shantae& Ice Climbers
D: Shovel Knight&Rayman&Captain Toad
E: Geno&Snake&Another Zelda Character
F: Banjo and Kazooie& Another Sonic character&Krystal
I put shantae and shovel knight so high because we need indie representatives. Shantae is a tier higher than shovel knight because she's been around with nintendo for awhile, her fanbase is hoping a lot for it and she's a female that her own company is pushing for in smash bros.

Well sorry, I thought we were voting to see who is the most likely person/people.

Likeliness "Tier list"

S: King K. Rool & Wolf
A: Isaac & Inkling
B: Paper Mario&Marshall/Chorus kids&Dixie Kong
C: Bandana Dee&Shantae& Ice Climbers
D: Shovel Knight&Rayman&Captain Toad
E: Geno&Snake&Another Zelda Character
F: Banjo and Kazooie& Another Sonic character&Krystal
I put shantae and shovel knight so high because we need indie representatives. Shantae is a tier higher than shovel knight because she's been around with nintendo for awhile, her fanbase is hoping a lot for it and she's a female that her own company is pushing for in smash bros.
May I ask, why do you think we need indie representatives? Because while I think indie character could happen (but only Shantae actually has a chance and even she isn't very likely imo), I don't think we need any.

StormC

Smash Hero
Even if you think we "need" indie representatives, why would you think Sakurai feels the same way?

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
May I ask, why do you think we need indie representatives? Because while I think indie character could happen (but only Shantae actually has a chance and even she isn't very likely imo), I don't think we need any.
Even if you think we "need" indie representatives, why would you think Sakurai feels the same way?
We don't really HAVE to have it but nintendo should support its indie developers and indies on the wiiu and 3ds are a good market to try to appeal to in smash 4. Shantae also fits it perfectly and shovel knight to a smaller degree.

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
I think way before they would put another link clone into the game, impa, skull kid, or a variant on ganondorf or Zelda would be way more likely ;o

StormC

Smash Hero
We don't really HAVE to have it but nintendo should support its indie developers and indies on the wiiu and 3ds are a good market to try to appeal to in smash 4. Shantae also fits it perfectly and shovel knight to a smaller degree.
But this isn't about what you want, this is about what you think is likely.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
But this isn't about what you want, this is about what you think is likely.
I know. Indies arguably saved the wiiu too or just added to it's sales so I feel nintendo not showing any indies would leave out some of the market. Of course now it's mostly about fan service too and the 2 big indie characters people want are being supported.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

S

A
King k. Rool
Isaac

B
Ray MK

C
Dixie kong
Mach rider
Excitebike
Marshal

D
Geno
Bomberman
Impa
Bandana dee
Chibi-robo
Daisy
Tetra

E
Rayman
Lip
Captain toad
Paper Mario
Daisy
Krystal
Banjo-kazooie
Ganon
Wonder red

F
Another Pokemon
Another mother character
Dig-dug
Alex Kidd
Shantae
DK jr.
Nester
Sukapon
Inkling
Captain rainbow
Crash
Bayonetta
King hippo
i updated my DLC likeliness chart:
>moved Rayman to
D tier
>Moved pokemon and fire emblem and mother new characters to lower than F tier
>moved Daisy to E tier
>added Andy and Barbara

i dont have inkling icon but they would be E tier

Attachments

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here's an updated list...several changes made from last time...

S Tier
:
----
A Tier: King K Rool, Isaac
----
B Tier: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Inklings
----
C Tier: Impa, Krystal
----
D Tier: :snake::popo::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee::younglinkmelee: Ganon, Sceptile
----
E Tier: Ridley, Midna, Dark Samus, Waluigi, Ashley, Shantae, Banjo & Kazooie, Weavile

----

S Tier-Almost shoe-ins...Wolf has no obstacles in his way except for not being in the game yet...no reason for me to think his chances have dropped at all...

A Tier-Highly requested Picks...K Rool and Isaac are leading all newcomers with their massive support

B Tier-High Chances...Various characters with a sizeable support behind them...other than Inklings I don't really care for them

C Tier-Worth Mentioning...decent but inconsistent support

D Tier-Mostly remaining veterans with their own issues...also included Ganon as he is considered 'deconfirmed' for some reason though he's got more of an edge over other 'deconfirmed' characters...Sceptile's leading all pokemon with support but the support for pokemon is spread quite thin nowadays, and with his support dying down considerably...

E Tier-Characters with predefined roles or Indie...they have a bigger wall to climb than most...Banjo's pretty much in the same situation as Shantae, it's whether or not Sakurai will reach out to them as they are popular picks....Weavile's a bit of a pipe dream pick as well

Burb

The Absolute Worst

S Tier- Nobody.
I don't have that much faith in anyone's chances.

A Tier- Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Wolf
I think we'll get a DK character, but I'm not so certain K. Rool will be chosen over Dixie despite his popularity. Wolf isn't an S because I feel veteran DLC may be finished and the ballot picks may be newcomers only. I feel the comments made in the New Content stream implied that Lucas and Roy were the last ones. Wolf's still high up because I'm quite positive that if there is any more veterans, he's practically guaranteed to get in.

B Tier- Paper Mario, Isaac, Bandanna Dee
Popular picks that I can see happening. Isaac is a bit of a stretch since he has nothing going for him outside of popularity.

C Tier- Rhythm Heaven Character, Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo, Inkling, Rayman
The only thing stopping an RH rep from being on the B Tier for me is the data found in the game that implied a Rhythm Heaven character was cut. If this character was cut due to technical issues, they're not very likely to be made DLC.

Captain Toad is popular and relevant, but he feels a bit like a fad pick to me. His popularity has been rapidly declining now that the new game hype has worn off. I don't know much about Chibi's popularity, but I do see him on people's wishlists fairly often and he seems like a very Sakurai-esque pick. Inkling is super popular and from a new IP that's selling extremely well by Wii U standards, but I feel the Inkling trophy that was added in DLC Wave 2 hurts their chances majorly. I would've put them in the A tier if it weren't for that. Rayman is one of the easiest third parties they could add due to the fact that he's already in the Wii U version as a trophy. At the same time, instinct tells me we're done with third parties.

D Tier- Wonder Red, Daisy, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur
Wonder Red seems to be a popular pick with a cult following, but the Wonderful 101 was a massive failure of a game commercially. I think that fact will be a pretty big wall blocking his entry.

Daisy is one of the most requested Mario characters remaining. Her biggest issue, though, is her limited potential and the fact that not all of her support is legit. While she's not a troll suggestion on the scale of Shrek and Goku, a good chunk of her supporters are, in fact, trolls. Specifically the GameFAQs Daisy supporters.

I think one of the Pokemon cuts are the likeliest veterans to return besides Wolf. And after Roy's return, I think Pichu would be the most likely to make it back. Squirtle and Ivysaur feel like a package deal, and with Mewtwo already present, I don't see three whole DLC slots being Pokemon characters.

E Tier- Snake, Krystal, Impa, Ray, Sceptile, Young Link, Bayonetta
This is what I like to call the "problematic tier". All of these characters have something big against them.

Snake is one the most wanted veterans and one of the most painful cuts from the SSB4 roster for a lot of people. However, I feel if he were meant to return, he would've been in the game from the start. The issues with Konami and Kojima would likely complicate things.

Impa and Sceptile both suffer from the same issue I mentioned for Captain Toad. Probably even worse than Captain Toad, in fact. Sceptile was a fad character based off a completely fan-made theory about the roster absolutely needing a Fire, Water, and Grass starter. Impa was a fad based on Hyrule Warriors and the fact that pretty much every other viable Zelda character got Assist Trophy'd one after another. She was the last one standing, and remains that.

Krystal has two major issues: there's pretty much no chance of her getting in before Wolf (and I don't see them adding two Star Fox characters as DLC), and she's likely to have been removed from the Star Fox series, judging from Star Fox Zero omitting her and returning to the original team of Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Peppy.

Bayonetta's roadblock is the mature, sexual, and religious themes her game is laden with. Young Link, meanwhile, is not a popular pick by veteran standards, and would be a third version of Link. Yes, we ended up with three versions of Marth, but unlike Young Link, Roy was fairly highly requested. Easily the second most-wanted Melee cut after Mewtwo.

F Tier- Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, Ice Climbers
This is the first "pretty much impossible tier".

Shantae's probably not gonna happen. She has a major following in the Smash community and has gained support rapidly following her creator's plea on Twitter, but she's an indy character who's support in Japan is virtually non-existent. Little Mac was a character who appealed more to the West, but he did have some Japanese support. Shantae's following is 100% Western. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai and most of his team had no idea who Shantae even was before the ballot.

Banjo-Kazooie was a pipe dream from the start. Phil Spencer giving his blessing was huge.....but keep in mind that Rare and the Banjo franchise are Microsoft property. While adding Banjo to the Smash Bros roster would be a pretty major event, they'd be advertising a rival's IP. It's one of those things that sounds really smart when you first hear about it, but the more you think about it, the less ideal and realistic it sounds.

Ice Climbers are here because of the technical issues that prevented their inclusion from the beginning. New findings by @PushDustIn regarding them have made it pretty clear they're not happening; Sakurai went to pretty much every length possible to get them to work, and couldn't make it happen. If it were possible, we'd have gotten them on the main roster. Realistically, there is no hope left. They're done until the next iteration of Smash, where they can hopefully pull a Mewtwo/Roy/Doc.

Y Tier- NPCs (Assist Trophies, Bosses, Final Smash Characters, etc.), Sora, Geno, Goku, Shrek
This is a tier I added myself.

These are characters with significant requests that have absolutely no realistic chance of getting in. If the F tier was a 1% chance, this one is a -100% chance.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
S Tier (50%+) - Wolf
A Tier (30%+) - K.Rool
B Tier (20%+) - Paper Mario, (Captain) Toad, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Dixie, Pichu
C Tier (10%+) - Inkling, Chibi-Robo, RH rep, Rayman, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Daisy
D Tier (5%+) - Wonder Red, Snake, Tetra/Impa, Young Link, Sceptile
F Tier (>0%) - Ice Climbers, Banjo-Kazooie, Krystal, Mach Rider, Bomberman, Ninten, Shantae
F-- Tier (0%) - Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Ridley, Geno, Reckless Wii Remote Guy (as humorous as that could be), other NPCs / 3rd-parties

Adapting a post I made in the NintenZone Social thread to the tier format, incorporating a few more characters and with a few slight percentage tweaks.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
With the new votes recently, here's the new general chart:

Upgraded:
Shantae: F > E

Downgraded:
Isaac: A > B
Rayman: C > D
Daisy: D > E
Wonder Red: D > E
Geno: E > F

Removed:
Ray-MK (lack of mentions)

The general chart didn't change that much compared to before, but it still was worth updating.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
S: Wolf, duhr.
A: King K Rool
A: Isaac
B: Inkling
B: Ice Climbers....maybe
B: Waddle Dee (If you want to call him bandana dee ok)
C: Dixie Kong
C: Krystal
C: Chibi Robo
C: Chorus People (its either kids or men)
D: Geno (possibly higher if he gets enough votes)
D: Impa
D: Toad
D: Snake (i actually doubt his return)
D: Wonder Red
F: All other third parties - honestly imo

Shout out to assist trophy people and Ridley because they would probably be higher on my list if they didn't exist. qq

Something tells me my list is really biased! ;-;

Updated my chart again, this one replaces my both previous charts:

S: Wolf
A: King K. Rool
B: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac
C: Captain Toad, Inkling, Paper Mario
D: Chibi-Robo, Krystal, Impa, Rayman
E: Ray, Snake, Wonder Red
F: Bomberman, Ivysaur, Pichu, Squirtle

Differences to previous chart
Upgraded
None

Downgraded
King K. Rool S > A
Bandana Dee A > B
Dixie Kong A > B
Isaac A > B
Inkling B > C
Paper Mario B > C
Krystal C > D
Ray D > E
Wonder Red D > E
Pichu E > F

Added
Squirtle to F tier
Ivysaur to F tier
Bomberman to F tier

Removed
Shantae

Troykv

Smash Master
SSS (Meta Knight) Tier:
Wolf

S Tier:
King K. Rool

A Tier:
Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Isaac

B Tier:
Captain Toad
Pichu (Remember: Nintendo is japanese)
Fire Emblem Character (is difficult to say the exact character with the advantage, but looks likeable for me see a Newcomer)

C Tier:
Impa
Inkling
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Paper Mario
Medusa
Daisy
Rhythm Heaven Character
Cranky Kong

D Tier:
Solid Snake
Chibi Robo
Rayman
Krystal
Metroid Character
Sceptile
Ray MK

E Tier:
Toon Zelda
Codename S.T.E.A.M. Character
Bayonetta
Lanky Kong
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Ice Climbers
Adeleine

F Tier:
Banjo-Kazooie
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Crash Bandicot
Geno
Magikarp
Young Link

Super F Tier (?):

Conker
Goku
Shrek
Steve
Reggienator
Ridley (?)
Chrom (?)

Edit: More characters now.
A little update:

- Young Link drops in the F Tier
- Ice Climbers drops in the E Tier
- Simon Belmont now appears in the chart, in the E Tier
- Ray MK also, in the D Tier.

Edit: Adeleine now appears in the E Tier

Maybe I put more later.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Updating my list because of recent stuff (It's obvious lol)

SSS Meta Knight Tier: None
S Ice Climber Tier (Without Ice Climber): Wolf (20)
A Tier: King K Rool (19), Snake (18)
B Tier: Dixie Kong (16), Bandanna Waddle Dee (15), Krystal, Pichu (14)
C Tier: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Inkling (13), Ice Climbers, Isaac, RH Rep (12), Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Slippy Toad (11)
D Tier: Young Link, Sceptile, Custom Robo (10), Leon Powalski, Daisy, Impa (9), Ridley, Jibanyan (8)
E Tier: Wonder Red (7), Shantae, Bayonetta (6), Shovel Knight, Arle, Banjoe Kazooie (5)

Systematic Changes:
  1. Counting several problems
  2. Deconfirmed (Characters Sakurai claimed to be impossible for him to do) gets a -5 penalty.
  3. Those who have a costume gets a -1 penalty.
Placement Changes:
  1. K Rool 20 -> 19 (S -> A) (Costume)
  2. Ice Climbers 18 -> 12 (A -> C) (Problem -1, Deconfirmation -5)
  3. Snake 17 -> 18 ( -- ) (Popularity in Japan +1 to match Wolf's popularity)
  4. Krystal 15 -> 14 ( -- ) (Considering her being absent in SF0 a problem, Problem -1)
  5. Ridley 13 -> 8 (C -> D) (Deconfirmation -5)
  6. Inkling 14 -> 13 (B -> C) (Costume)
Why am I listing the minor changes out anyway

Geno Boost

Smash Master

S

A
King k. Rool
Isaac

B
Ray MK

C
Dixie kong
Mach rider
Excitebike
Marshal

D
Geno
Bomberman
Impa
Bandana dee
Chibi-robo
Daisy
Tetra

E
Rayman
Lip
Captain toad
Paper Mario
Daisy
Krystal
Banjo-kazooie
Ganon
Wonder red

F
Another Pokemon
Another mother character
Dig-dug
Alex Kidd
Shantae
DK jr.
Nester
Sukapon
Inkling
Captain rainbow
Crash
Bayonetta
King hippo
update after King k. rool confirmed as mii costume + new 3rd party tier list:
Newcomer ( ! ) = getting another 3rd party chance/tier.

Nintendo character tier list:
S

A
Isaac

B
King K. Rool
Ray MK III

C
Dixie Kong
Mach Rider