• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Principles: Mii

T0MMY

Smash Master
This is an in-depth evaluation for the Mii fighters utilizing the power of...

Philosophy!

There has been some considerable discussion over the usage of Mii as a character in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U (but not on the 3DS that I am aware of). This came about for three reasons:

1. The Piston Punch
  2. Exploit on Piston Punch ("One Inch Punch")
  3. Dapuffster's top 3 ranking and victory over Nairo

The first of these matters has to do with both the overall strength of a Special Move named "Piston Punch" and a possible exploit to it. I will go over both these issues in painstaking detail utilizing logic as my process and a position of Competitive Standards - that is, I will be addressing arguments based on the perspective of competitive values since I will also be addressing the 2nd issue of Dapuffster's tournament performance (tournaments are assumed to be adhering to competitive values).

About Mii
Mii is very much like any other character on the Character Select Screen (CSS), in that you place your Player Token on the icon to play the character. The initial difference is that you then get a sub-selection of which Mii you'd like to choose, much the same way Brawl allowed the use of either Zelda or Sheik upon a sub-selection, except with Mii you get more than just one alternate choice.

Competitive Philosophy
For more information on this (and a whole lot more) please refer to: Competitive Philosophy for Super Smash Bros.

It seems this must be reiterated many times, but there are (at least) two very distinct areas of play: Competitive and Casual.

Both are conceptual, they don't exist in a location, they reside in our minds. However, very real things are affected by these conceptual areas - communities form from them.
We then have a Competitive Arena and a Casual Scene.

The Competitive Arena is shaped by its duty to uphold a Competitive Standard, that which is bound by Competitive Principles.
These principles are:
  • Fairness
  • In-game Authority
  • Reward to Skill

Additionally, upholding Competitive Standard is essentially saying the player will be "Playing to Win" in regards to David Sirlin's book of the same title.

For more information on this, please see: Playing to Win

Of these principles, regarding Mii, I will be focused on two of them: Fairness and In-game Authority.
Fairness is essentially not allowing a competitor to have any reasonable advantage over another. This is mostly seen as options made available. There are some exceptions to this (e.g. Port Priority - it is a physical impossibility to physically plug a controller into the same port). When these exceptions occur the most fair option must be used to decide a split, and that is usually drawing lots (like flipping a coin) as it is a random factor that does not favor any competitor.

With that aside, fairness usually comes from complaints about the game itself. Such complaints of a move, tactic, strategy, or character not being "fair". However, it has been more often than not that this is just the usual complaints of a person who refuses to play competitively and seeks to gain an advantage over their opponent using out-of-game rulings - this person is usually referred to as a "scrub" and competitively they should be ignored and the game allowed to continue to evolve.

So how does this whole fairness thing include the character Mii?
There have been complaints brought to issue about Mii not being "fair" - uh oh, is that the call of the wild scrub we hear? Well, let's reasonably hear the complaint out before prejudging anyone as scrubs.

The claim is this:
It is not fair that Mii can have custom moves and nobody else can.

This is under assumption that Customization is set to Off (which I feel like it should competitively be set off, but that's outside the scope of this post).
This presupposes that Mii has "custom moves"
And this assumes no other character can use their custom moves.

• If the rules state Customization: Off, then the first premise would be true - Custom Moves are in fact disabled.
  • The second premise is false. Since custom moves are disabled then it follows that if Mii uses custom moves then their specials would also be disabled. However, we can objectively verify that this is NOT the case - Mii can still be used with whichever Mii Special Attack was selected. Furthermore the game does not ever declare the moves as "custom moves" or "custom" in anyway in addition to them not being affected by customization.
  • No other character can use their custom moves. This appears to be true.

Because the second premise is false and the conclusion of "not fair" is assumed to be true then we have an invalid argument.

We can have a valid argument by either negating the invalid argument or replacing the false premise with a true one:
It is not the case that it is not fair that Mii can use custom moves because nobody else can.

In-game Authority
As a general rule of thumb in the competitive community the game's programming is authority. TO's, competitors (pro/novice alike), spectators, and "the majority" do not have authority on how the game functions or else we are subjected to oligarchy, dictatorship, or a lemming complex. The only exception for this rule is when the game itself overrules its programming and does not function, it literally breaks, and this is when the community steps in and says "This mighty fine game here is competitively worthy and we wish to keep playing it, so anyone who causes this game to break on purpose by exploiting this glitch will be disqualified from our tournament" - and hopefully that can fix the problem until a patch is given.

What this ultimately means is that if a game is competitive then we have no business messing with it. And if it isn't competitive we have no business playing it competitively, find another game and play that.

"Too Good"
Leave it to some to try to get their way by simply proclaiming something to be "broken".
There is now something that is truly broken in the literal sense and a scrubby "broken" in a figurative sense.

I'll illustrate how this works: Well, I am not good enough to win by skill (a competitive principle) because I can't get past those Forward Smashes. If I banned Forward Smashes I'd win. What, only broken things get banned? If the ONLY exception to get something banned is if it breaks the game then I will just claim Forward Smashes are "broken" and I can get it banned. Then I win.

Once again, in-game authority trumps any scrub complaints of a move/character being "Too good", "Cheap", "Over Powered", "OP", or "Broken".
Unless the move/character meets ban criteria then such complaints should be ignored. However, this seems to have to be said ad infinitum, so be ever vigilant.

Now that all this has been established we'll look more into some matters that may be ban-worthy and need to be evaluated.

The Piston Punch
Not gonna lie, the Piston Punch is a strong move. Very strong!
Ok, it's not as strong as a lot of other moves that many other characters have, but what it lacks for in pure knockback it makes up for in its setups, speed, and utility - somethings that other stronger attacks might not have.
But being a strong move isn't reason enough for a ban. Not even being the strongest move in the game is warrant for ban. In fact, even if it were the strongest move in the game undeniably by far and is extremely overpowered it is still not warrant for ban - it just means you should be using it to its full potential for as long as it is viable!

In Playing to Win the ban criteria is as follows:
  • Warranted
  • Discrete
  • Enforceable
Although the Piston Punch is both discreet and enforceable in that we can see when someone is using it and it can be enforced by not allowing anyone to choose that special attack, it still fails the ban test because "too good" does not warrant a ban.

However, It also has one additional thing: The One Inch Punch.

The One Inch Punch
What is it?
It is an "Advanced Technique" utilizing the first hitbox properties of the Piston Punch. It was named by Jigglymaster when he posted this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-one-inch-punch-a-mii-brawler-insta-ko-tech.376667 after he discovered it (although independently discovered by others, myself included).
The One Inch Punch can be thought of as an exploit, although it is difficult to determine if this is the case. There is question if this is supposed to be in the game or not because it was not patched out in v1.0.4 when many of the known exploits and glitches were removed. Having been left in the players are left to wonder if it was an oversight that was overlooked or just part of the game similar to Marth's critical hit "tippers" have similar unusual hitbox properties.

But what is so special about it?
On certain characters (as far as I know, only Jigglypuff at this time) if performed correctly the OIP will KO at 0%. This is almost identical of a situation to Roy's Reverse Blazer in Super Smash Bros. Melee which can KO Jigglypuff (and Pichu) at 0%.

Once again, a complaint was brought up that this Advanced Technique is "too powerful" and needs to be banned.
So, let's reasonably analyze this claim in a competitive sense.

Discrete?
It is difficult to say when the OIP is being used as it looks like the Piston Punch. The only difference is when the opponent gets sent flying without taking additional hits, when this happens someone who knows about the tech may ask "was that the One Inch Punch?" because knowing about it and seeing it still doesn't equate to being able to identify if it was used. This is rather borderline arguable that it may or may not be discernible.

Enforceable?
It is impossible to enforce a ban on just the technique because it happens so frequently, and usually it hinders an attempt to KO rather than causing a KO (the chances of meeting up with a Jigglypuff in tourney are far and few in between). One can say if you KO an opponent at 0% with the Piston Punch you can be penalized, but it may not even be warranted.

Warranted?
Seeing as the 0% KO is only knowingly guaranteed on one character (Jigglypuff) with some possibility for her to escape it (SDI may be an option) and the cold truth that it is useful out of a Grab (D-throw combos into it) that it makes this no different from many other techs that are not banned. Roy's Reverse Blazer was never banned and well known, the same with Toon Link's D-Smash (which really works on a lot more characters), and many others that have yet to be widely known (Mario's U-Spec and Pit's F-Spec have produced similar issues).
Competitively speaking this is no worse than Ice Climbers chain grabbing or Meta Knight spamming Shuttle Loop, all of which required a greater skill level to overcome and warranted no ban.
As stated earlier, the technique often time crops up during a combo into a Piston Punch which would normally KO an opponent, but because they are a heavier character they do not get KO'd from the OIP despite that the Piston Punch itself would have KO'd if the "exploit" hadn't interfered which actually makes the Piston Punch a weaker attack in this respect.

Verdict?

Discreet: Yes
Enforceable: Debatable
Warranted: No

Dapuffster's Tournament Performance
Many people came up in arms over Mii, Piston Punch, and One Inch Punch after Dapuffster's tournament performance on livestream.
Although I wasn't reading the chat when it was happening nor have I read the chat log, but I have not heard of any complaints that are not readily answered with the usual Competitive Principles. The philosophy behind Competition is very strong, and complaints are generally very weak fallacies usually appealing to majority, authority, tradition, or simply keeping it a subjective matter of "opinion".

A reasonable person cannot stress enough that "a stronger argument destroys a weaker one".

The strength of the philosophical reasoning presented here (and the respective sources as linked) stands their ground. If any reasonable argument may be made for Mii or any future character/move to be banned or limited it will be responded to in a similar fashion.
Whether Dapuffster won through being a better player or by exploiting "powerful" moves/characters may be a matter of opinion or debate. But I will put my two cents in stating that Mii and its moves cannot be reasonably banned/limited in the Competitive Arena. If Dapuffster won by tipping the scales in his favor, so to speak, with his choice of character and strategy or tactics then I would surmise that is simply a manifestation of his better playing and Nairo (and others) would have to follow suit and either counter these strategies or counter with other characters.

But I hope I clarified everything philosophically.
There is just one more matter that really needs to be looked into.

Who (effectively) Calls the shots on Rules?
Pros?
Stream monsters?
TO's
The game?

After the outcry over Mii, and more recently Diddy Kong from people watching livestreams and demanding "bans" and additionally to players as well whether pro or novice alike, I don't believe this is the proper way for those proclaiming being a part of the Competitive Community to act.
We'll let our actions define us and when complaints are brought up they will be reasonably analyzed, but continued actions of a scrub will simply just define us as a scrub.

Our choice is clear:

Reason vs fallacy/mob mentality​

The community is defined by you the indivual.

TL;DR:
Not ban-worthy, not a custom move, not logically a custom character, not OP, and not "broken".
If anything wait for a future patch if it is an exploit, until then, competitive players get on the path of the pro: Best of luck with improving your game and the metagame in general!

Last edited:

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
we should wait for the game to be out longer before we even think about bans like that.

I also mostly agree with the rest of the op.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm going to make a petition soon to get Mii Fighter's custom's legal at APEX (along with Palutena's too). I'm probably going to use this as reference as there is a lot of good material here to help support my case.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I am on board with all the Mii fighter's being used to their potential, but unless Customization is set for "ON" then I would not advocate Palutena being allowed to use her custom moves (it must be set "ON" for her to use them and does not matter for the Mii as far as I have performed).

Keep in mind that turning Customization: "ON" has all sorts of consequences to it that TO's may not be interested in having to handle so early in the game. Starting with just keeping Customization: "OFF" and leaving Mii alone is a great step towards further changes with time.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah, thats true. It's just hard to pick which route to take.

In one hand you can have the rule of
- All unlockable customs banned
- Mii Fighters limited to Guest Miis

or you can go with
- Customaztion set to "OFF"

Your approach seems simpler but it also seems a bit more selfish at the same time, its kind of hard to figure out which one the best route is to take.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Doesn't the game consider any non-default special move a custom move? Kirby copies the default neutral special move of the Mii Fighters. Also, in Event Mode, unless customization was enabled, the Mii Fighters would use the default special moves, so it is an instance of the game declaring what the custom moves are.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
The idea that anyone is seirously discussing banning the mii's is insane. There may need to be some special rules for them depending on the ultimate ruling for custom moves(which i still think should be on), but there's about a million easy ways to make them not cause any issues, except being 3 more cast members(of which 1 is maybe lower high tier at best, and the rest are mid tier if they're lucky).

Gamer807

Smash Cadet
I believe they should just use the guest Mii's, along with the default moveset that comes along with them. The Mii's don't need to have custom equipment and/or custom moves to make the Mii's good

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yeah, thats true. It's just hard to pick which route to take.

In one hand you can have the rule of
- All unlockable customs banned

or you can go with
- Customaztion set to "OFF"
There's plenty more routes to take, those are just two examples (omitting this fact would otherwise make for a false dichotomy).
The first route you presented directly ignores in-game authority in its arbitrary ban of unlockable customs and another arbitrary ruling to limit a character.
The second route uses the in-game feature to turn off Customization, but again ignores the principle of in-game authority and limits a character.

Both of those decisions are anticompetitive and as a TO my decision would not lie with either of them based on the principle of competition.

Your approach seems simpler but it also seems a bit more selfish at the same time, its kind of hard to figure out which one the best route is to take.
I was actually in favor of an all-out Mii ban initially, but changed my stance when I rationalized it within competitive principles (which is what this post is all about). There's was no selfishness about it initially, because if I got my way then Mii would have been banned 100%. Ironic, isn't it X^D

But I'll bring in the power of philosophy here to help out: Even if there were selfishness involved (and really, when isn't there in any of our actions?) then it would be a fallacy (ad hominem, as it is directed at me rather than the argument) and doesn't invalidate the reasoning.
As long as my reasoning is sound then it stands and the only other logical option is to formulate a stronger argument which would replace mine.

Doesn't the game consider any non-default special move a custom move? Kirby copies the default neutral special move of the Mii Fighters. Also, in Event Mode, unless customization was enabled, the Mii Fighters would use the default special moves, so it is an instance of the game declaring what the custom moves are.
Unless any of these suppositions can be substantiated then we're left with highly subjective speculation. This would be what is referred to as "grasping at straws" meaning there's not much substance to (logically) get a hold of.
I'll remain skeptical until conclusive evidence is provided.
Ultimately, though, even if there was a clear way of knowing the game is declaring these moves as "custom", the functionality of the game remains exactly the same (Customization: Off still does not affect the Mii). Competitively, we set the rules and play the game and declarations still wouldn't change the fact that the Mii are fully functioning within a competitive framework.

I believe they should just use the guest Mii's, along with the default moveset that comes along with them. The Mii's don't need to have custom equipment and/or custom moves to make the Mii's good
Why do you believe this?
You stand at the gates to the realm of philosophy here, belief is a grand tool that has real power in this world, but it must be grounded in reasoning to empower it with the light of truth, without this power belief fades like a leaf in autumn.

Remember, this is a topic of competitive principles regarding the Mii fighters, it's not about how to make them good or bad, just how they function competitively.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Unless any of these suppositions can be substantiated then we're left with highly subjective speculation. This would be what is referred to as "grasping at straws" meaning there's not much substance to (logically) get a hold of.
I'll remain skeptical until conclusive evidence is provided.
Ultimately, though, even if there was a clear way of knowing the game is declaring these moves as "custom", the functionality of the game remains exactly the same (Customization: Off still does not affect the Mii). Competitively, we set the rules and play the game and declarations still wouldn't change the fact that the Mii are fully functioning within a competitive framework.
How is it a supposition? You could create a Mii Fighter with any custom moves that you would want, but the MIi is forced to use the default special moves in Event mode if customization is turned off. Since this is an instance of the game saying that the Mii do have custom moves, it makes all three premises true, so it would be unfair if the Miis could use custom moves while the other characters couldn't. The only thing that isn't affected by customization being disabled is the height and weight of the character; however, you could still reasonably assume that a Mii with an unchanged height and weight has default stats.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
Something to note, LimitCrown - when you turn Customisation Off in any other mode, the Mii retains its custom moves.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Something to note, LimitCrown - when you turn Customisation Off in any other mode, the Mii retains its custom moves.
I know this. I was challenging the reasoning that the Mii Fighters don't have any custom moves just because they can use them in those modes even when Customization is turned off. The statement that the game never distinguishes some of the Mii's special moves as customizations was false, so I listed counterexamples (Event Mode and Kirby's ability to copy).

T0MMY

Smash Master
How is it a supposition?
Suppositions are simply just thoughts on a matter (like when one says "I suppose"). I wasn't going to say it was false, a real fact, a lie, the truth, or anything other than your thoughts on the matter (until I verified any assumptions for myself), that is to say "I recognize you are saying something and will look into it."

You could create a Mii Fighter with any custom moves that you would want, but the MIi is forced to use the default special moves in Event mode if customization is turned off. Since this is an instance of the game saying that the Mii do have custom moves, it makes all three premises true, so it would be unfair if the Miis could use custom moves while the other characters couldn't.
I haven't been able to verify this (which event # is this in question?)
But supposing the assumption is true then you would be correct in saying they could be considered "Custom Moves".
However, there is one fundamental flaw in the reasoning as a whole: That when we come to the conclusion that you are in fact correct in this conditional then we are immediately ejected out of the conditional and are left with:
"when using the Event Mode" <= under that condition.

When we compete in tournaments we use the "Smash" mode, not "Event" mode.
Now, I know your point is that the game itself may extend its authority elsewhere in the game, but the real truth is that it does not: The game may not recognize Mii specials in Event, but does in Smash, the mode we use. The problem with this is if I agree with this then I would have to reasonably agree with similar propositions like how Melee doesn't recognize the C-Stick in Training Mode so it should be banned in our tournament (using a different mode).

I am not ready to take that stance as it is a weaker one than allowing the game to be played as is functioning.

However, when I have an Event Mode tournament I'll keep that in mind (and I am interested which Event # this is regarding).

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
More like the game uses what Sakurai sets it.
Kirby's copy moves are pre-set.
When Kirby copies Olimar he doesn't get Pikmin Pluck despite it being the default. Kirbys moves are hard-set.
The game isn't declaring anything.
When you start a Match, an actual match not AI event mode and select Mii Fighter. What does it give you? Whatever you set, regardless of whether or not you have customization on.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Anyone that believes that making a Mii Fighter is too time consuming or too hard and complex to make should watch this.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
More like the game uses what Sakurai sets it.
Kirby's copy moves are pre-set.
When Kirby copies Olimar he doesn't get Pikmin Pluck despite it being the default. Kirbys moves are hard-set.
The game isn't declaring anything.
When you start a Match, an actual match not AI event mode and select Mii Fighter. What does it give you? Whatever you set, regardless of whether or not you have customization on.
Kirby copies the default neutral special move of all of the characters. If the move wouldn't function properly by itself, like Olimar's Pikmin Pluck, then the move is slightly changed. However, those are only a few exceptions. It still shows what the game itself considers to be the default.
And, what special moves do the Mii Fighters start with when they're created? The defaults, of course. It's strange to say that the Mii Fighters don't have anything that can be considered custom moves just because they're available at the beginning and that they can still be used when Customization is turned off in Smash mode. The Mii Fighters are similar to Palutena how all of their custom moves are available in the beginning, but this is because their custom moves are completely different from each other. Also, the reason why the Mii Fighters are able to use their custom moves when customization is turned off is that you can use many Miis with different appearances, and you can use one Mii to create Mii Fighters with different combinations of custom movesets. This, combined with the fact that the Mii Fighters can have different stats depending on the height and weight of the Mii, is most likely the main reason why they are not allowed when playing online With Anyone.
This just seems to be an attempt at modifying the definition of what a custom move is in order to rationalize why Miis should be able to use their custom moves even when custom moves might be banned in a tournament.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
On the contrary your attempting to link Kirbys copy ability which you yourself show to be inconsistent, as evidence against Mii's?
The game uses what Sakurai sets. Kirbys copy doesn't care what is default or what is not, because they it does not have another setting other then what is assigned to it.

I don't need to modify any definition. As definitions aren't any crux of my argument, nor are trying to abhorrently use Kirby's pre-programmed and static copy as an example.

The only thing I care for is if customs are imbalanced and the logistics behind their dismissal.
The former has not been shown, and the latter does not apply.
Plain and simple.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
How do Kirby's Copy Abilities contradict my point? You are claiming that because it uses what Sakurai sets, it doesn't prove my statement that the defaults were the ones chosen to be copied. Doesn't Kirby still pluck Pikmin from the ground when using Olimar's ability? Yes, he does. If all that Kirby could do was pluck Pikmin from the ground, the move would be useless, so it is slightly different. It's isn't like the way the copy abilities function or the selection of the default special moves were arbitrary.
My argument addresses the false statements that the Mii Fighters have no such thing as custom moves and that the game never, at any point, indicates what their custom moves are.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Regarding enforceability, while it's not feasible to ban the OIP, it is possible to simply ban Piston Punch. Of course, it still needs to be determined whether it's warranted, just pointing this out.

Regarding setup time, the real problem I have is that height/weight cannot be edited in-game. You have to either exit all the way to Mii Maker (way too long) or import from 3DS (only available to 3DS owners). IMO no matter what we settle on regarding moves, the only solution to this dilemma is to restrict Mii Fighters to the preset Guest Miis only (with middle height/weight).

Also, part of the reasoning behind customs-off rulesets is to negate all that setup time. The TO can set up three 1111 Guest Miis in advance, but setting up all 243 possible combinations (without accounting for height/weight) on every console, as well as players having to scroll through all those on the selection screen, is not feasible. Even if the game gives their customs special treatment, a customs-off ruleset should not in order to keep things streamlined. If you want custom Mii Fighters, just play a customs-on ruleset.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also, part of the reasoning behind customs-off rulesets is to negate all that setup time. The TO can set up three 1111 Guest Miis in advance, but setting up all 243 possible combinations (without accounting for height/weight) on every console, as well as players having to scroll through all those on the selection screen, is not feasible. Even if the game gives their customs special treatment, a customs-off ruleset should not in order to keep things streamlined. If you want custom Mii Fighters, just play a customs-on ruleset.
Did you literally not see the video I posted above which shows that you can make a Guest Mii Fighter in less than 30 seconds?

Could you explain to me how this is not feasible, when custom controls and name making are?

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Unless custom moves are on then mii customs by default should be off. What happens in the case where someone who has two mii brawlers that look alike and wants to decide to counter pick me with a mii who has a different down special for instance?

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Unless custom moves are on then mii customs by default should be off. What happens in the case where someone who has two mii brawlers that look alike and wants to decide to counter pick me with a mii who has a different down special for instance?
Nothing particularly problematic at all?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Go and spend another 30 seconds making a different Guest Mii Fighter. There is more than 1 Guest mii to choose from.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It still takes longer than picking any other character, and violates the spirit of a no customs ruleset, if not the letter. Saying that a no customs ruleset should give a special exception to Mii Fighters is the silliest loophole I've heard. Should be the same 1111 as everyone else. If you want other moves, play under a ruleset that's supposed to allow customs.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Top players and people of high status such as D1 have said that customs are only banned because of their inaccessibility. This is a clear exception to Mii Fighters and Palutena who were specifically designed to have completely different moves rather than alt variations and they are available from the start. The whole concept of a character like the Mii fighters is to create your own fighter and the game allows you to use them when customs turned OFF in smash mode, so it can be said that they aren't real custom moves like the rest of the characters.
It's a real shame you'd rather kill off 3-4 characters who do not have this custom move unlocking problem because it "violates the spirit of a no custom ruleset" Also the fact that you can't even take 30 seconds to put a guest mii on a wii u that stays on for the rest of the tournament is astonishing.

Japan is also currently allowing Mii Fighters to use their alternate specials, note I did not say customs, alternate specials, in their rulesets. Maybe we should actually keep up with their meta.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Top players and people of high status such as D1 have said that customs are only banned because of their inaccessibility. This is a clear exception to Mii Fighters and Palutena who were specifically designed to have completely different moves rather than alt variations and they are available from the start. The whole concept of a character like the Mii fighters is to create your own fighter and the game allows you to use them when customs turned OFF in smash mode, so it can be said that they aren't real custom moves like the rest of the characters.
It's a real shame you'd rather kill off 3-4 characters who do not have this custom move unlocking problem because it "violates the spirit of a no custom ruleset" Also the fact that you can't even take 30 seconds to put a guest mii on a wii u that stays on for the rest of the tournament is astonishing.

Japan is also currently allowing Mii Fighters to use their alternate specials, note I did not say customs, alternate specials, in their rulesets. Maybe we should actually keep up with their meta.
How will Palutena or the Mii Fighters be harmed by not being able to use their custom moves, and how do they not have "real" custom moves? Palutena can only use the defaults when playing online With Anyone and the only reason both characters have their custom moves in the beginning is because the special moves function very differently from each other. This has nothing to do with how easy or difficult it is to make a Mii Fighter.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Unlike other characters, like you said, their moves are completely different. Palutena and Mii Fighters can be completely different characters because of this and we're just accepting the fact that Sakurai just put whatever he felt like as the move the game starts out on, when going to make a mii fighter it literally takes 2 extra sections to switch to the other move, but apparently we won't allow that because its not fair. I mean, we should ban Shiek in Melee and Brawl cause nobody else can do that, ban ice climbers because they're the only characters with 2 people. If the rest of custom moves were easy to unlock, we'd allow them too, but thats a completely different problem.

When people make the ruleset of turning customs off they have to make it more complex by saying that the mii fighters are restricted to their original loadout, when it can be as easy as
- Custom Moves set OFF
- Mii Fighters must be Guest Miis

Also, the defintion of the word "customize"
to modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

Everybody except Mii Fighter and Palutena has moves that are essentially modified to be slightly different, Mario shoots faster fireballs as one of his customs, but its still a fireball.

Mii Brawler on the other hand for example though, has his 1st down special as a head attack, the 2nd is a leaping kick, these moves are not similar in the slightest, the original move was not modified, it is just a completely different move in general.

Why does the game allow Mii Fighters to use their alternate specials when customization is turned OFF? If Sakurai wanted people to not use them, Mii fighters would've been disabled when customs are turned OFF. Do not bring For Glory into this either, because we do not use For Glory at tournaments, we use Smash mode. We also don't only play on FD.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
who gives a flying **** about if Sakurai wanted it.
If the reasoning behind a custom move ban is Logistics.
Then Mii fighters and Paletuna aren't a factor because they already have all the moves unlocked.
If the reason behind a ban is balance. Show the imbalance.
If the reasoning is "just cuz" then no one can have a discussion.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Unlike other characters, like you said, their moves are completely different. Palutena and Mii Fighters can be completely different characters because of this and we're just accepting the fact that Sakurai just put whatever he felt like as the move the game starts out on, when going to make a mii fighter it literally takes 2 extra sections to switch to the other move, but apparently we won't allow that because its not fair. I mean, we should ban Shiek in Melee and Brawl cause nobody else can do that, ban ice climbers because they're the only characters with 2 people. If the rest of custom moves were easy to unlock, we'd allow them too, but thats a completely different problem.

When people make the ruleset of turning customs off they have to make it more complex by saying that the mii fighters are restricted to their original loadout, when it can be as easy as
- Custom Moves set OFF
- Mii Fighters must be Guest Miis

Also, the defintion of the word "customize"
to modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

Everybody except Mii Fighter and Palutena has moves that are essentially modified to be slightly different, Mario shoots faster fireballs as one of his customs, but its still a fireball.

Mii Brawler on the other hand for example though, has his 1st down special as a head attack, the 2nd is a leaping kick, these moves are not similar in the slightest, the original move was not modified, it is just a completely different move in general.

Why does the game allow Mii Fighters to use their alternate specials when customization is turned OFF? If Sakurai wanted people to not use them, Mii fighters would've been disabled when customs are turned OFF. Do not bring For Glory into this either, because we do not use For Glory at tournaments, we use Smash mode. We also don't only play on FD.
Sheik and Zelda are treated as two distinctly different characters and the Ice Climbers' gimmick revolves around being at their strongest when both of them are together. It's very dissimilar to characters whose custom special moves are completely different from each other and that the special moves are the only things that can be changed for every character in Super Smash Bros. 4. Also, this doesn't have anything to do with this game.

With that same definition of the word "customize", changing the special moves that the Mii Fighters and Palutena have from the defaults is considered to be customization. Despite the fact that the available options for each type of special move for the Mii Fighters and Palutena are completely different, the game still considers anything except the defaults to be customization options. I even proved this with the Mii Fighter by bringing up the fact that Event Mode does this. I also ask, why isn't this behavior from the game suitable enough in your opinion?

I also said that because you can make many Mii Fighters using the same Mii and make many different combinations of special moves, that was the main reason why the Miis aren't forced to use the defaults in Smash Mode. For Anyone basically functions very similarly to Smash Mode while disallowing custom moves. This is a reason why the Mii Fighters can't be used online, so why shouldn't For Glory be used as an example?

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
It still takes longer than picking any other character
Depends how long someone decides to take choosing a character and scrolling through their costumes. Point of the matter is no TO is complaining about the amount of time ti takes (about 30 seconds) when it's quicker than setting up custom controls.

and violates the spirit of a no customs ruleset, if not the letter.
Too subjective.
But non-violation of the spirit of competition is much greater.

Saying that a no customs ruleset should give a special exception to Mii Fighters is the silliest loophole I've heard.
There's no silly loophole, Mii fighters simply do not have custom moves, they have alternate special attacks - playing the game as it is made to function is far from an exception, it is the standard.

Should be the same 1111 as everyone else. If you want other moves, play under a ruleset that's supposed to allow customs.
You'll have to provide reason why a competitive tournament should do that (otherwise it's just unreasonable opinion), as it is now (competitively) there are very strict reasons that are needed to screw with the game for any reason let alone characters.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Because no character should be getting special treatment. If a ruleset says that other characters can't use their custom moves, then the same should apply to Miis. Either everyone gets theirs or nobody does, you can't just say these characters do but nobody else can.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It may help to reframe the argument. With customs enabled, the distinction between customs and defaults is completely academic since you can combine them however you want, and with customs disabled you can still use a Mii with any special move you please as long as you set it up beforehand. (Also the newcomers could just as easily have been given one of their customs as a default instead, we have no reference point for them, but that's more an interesting footnote.)

Perhaps instead of "no customs," the rule could say "all characters must use a 1111 set with no equipment" and avoid any ambiguity. This assumes the TO actually wants to limit Miis to 1111.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
"1111 only" makes a lot more sense than "Everyone except Mii Fighters can only use 1111, but Mii Fighters get to do whatever they want".

Phase 2

Smash Rookie
You're still operating under the (wrong) assumption that Miis have "Custom" moves. Miis are a CREATE-A-FIGHTER, by choosing their specials and appearance you are essentially MAKING A NEW CHARACTER. It is not the same as customizing, ergo Miis do not have "Custom" moves, and Sakurai himself saw fit to allow them in normal Customization: Off mode. It's really not that difficult to grasp.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
You're still operating under the (wrong) assumption that Miis have "Custom" moves. Miis are a CREATE-A-FIGHTER, by choosing their specials and appearance you are essentially MAKING A NEW CHARACTER. It is not the same as customizing, ergo Miis do not have "Custom" moves, and Sakurai himself saw fit to allow them in normal Customization: Off mode. It's really not that difficult to grasp.
The fact that Miis have custom moves is not a wrong assumption when I've already shown an example of the game making the Miis use their default special moves in Event Mode. However people won't accept this as being a "real" example because it is Event Mode. Even if they were characters that you could create, all of them start with the first four special moves, and the way their custom moves work is similar to Palutena. Claiming that this isn't customizing is just trying to change the definition in order to give a reason why only they can use custom moves while the other characters can't in the event that custom moves aren't allowed.

Also, when Sakurai was talking about the Mii Fighters during the E3 2014 Nintendo Direct, only the first four special moves that the Mii Brawler had were the only ones that were shown with a name, and he said that the three types of Mii Fighters are separate characters.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
How about we just allow customs and be done with it? I've not seen anything remotely overpowered amongst any of the custom moves I've seen, and many characters benefit significantly from having access to them. Admittedly that doesn't work for now because the tournament setups need some time to get all their customs unlocked (though on 3DS at least it could be done in about a day or two of solid grinding as evidenced by many streams), but for the future simply running customs as legal makes the most sense to me and I have literally no idea when the community got this salty about them.

The problem with allowing tournaments to be run "Customization: OFF" in the early meta is that it will most likely become the status quo and custom moves will never be legalized. As for the possibility of players cheating by also using custom equipment with a net 0 or negative modifier to all stats, with everything on the same screen on the Wii U it is both quick and easy to verify that that is not happening at the start of the set, as well as any time any player goes to change their customs. Besides, most all secondary effects from equipment are extremely obvious in action, and if there is any suspicion that custom equipment was used, it is quite easy to simply check their setup after a match and DQ a player if they were using equipment. And I honestly doubt top players would be such poor sports as to cheat.

Phase 2

Smash Rookie
The fact that Miis have custom moves is not a wrong assumption when I've already shown an example of the game making the Miis use their default special moves in Event Mode. However people won't accept this as being a "real" example because it is Event Mode. Even if they were characters that you could create, all of them start with the first four special moves, and the way their custom moves work is similar to Palutena. Claiming that this isn't customizing is just trying to change the definition in order to give a reason why only they can use custom moves while the other characters can't in the event that custom moves aren't allowed.

Also, when Sakurai was talking about the Mii Fighters during the E3 2014 Nintendo Direct, only the first four special moves that the Mii Brawler had were the only ones that were shown with a name, and he said that the three types of Mii Fighters are separate characters.
I'm not sure what your point is, you're providing flimsy circumstantial evidence that runs contrary to what is observable. Sakurai saw fit to let the Miis and only the Miis use their customs in Customization: Off. This was not done on accident. Try harder to convince me, because as it stands the burden of proof is on you to prove to me, first of all, why customs should be banned at all, and second, why Sakurai would allow Custom Miis in non-custom smash if he didn't want it that way. Go on, I'll wait.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I'm not sure what your point is, you're providing flimsy circumstantial evidence that runs contrary to what is observable. Sakurai saw fit to let the Miis and only the Miis use their customs in Customization: Off. This was not done on accident. Try harder to convince me, because as it stands the burden of proof is on you to prove to me, first of all, why customs should be banned at all, and second, why Sakurai would allow Custom Miis in non-custom smash if he didn't want it that way. Go on, I'll wait.
What's observable is that there is an instance of the game making the Miis use their default moveset (Event Mode), each type of Mii Fighter can choose from 12 special moves with the defaults automatically chosen just like every other character in this game, and they are similar to Palutena since each of their special moves look and function very differently, yet those are still considered to be customization options. The statement that the Mii Fighters don't have custom moves is blatantly untrue and the reasoning used to support this statement is flawed because it doesn't consider other reasons why the Mii Fighters can use custom moves at any point in Smash Mode.

On the subject of custom moves in general, tell me why tournaments must allow custom moves. Why not be able to have tournaments that can either allow or disallow custom moves? Also, besides giving characters options that may or may not be better or worse than the defaults, what else do custom moves actually add?

Last edited:

SamusChief

Smash Rookie
Let's take a few steps back and analyze what we're really discussing here, because when we get right to it, its just an absurd debate.

People are debating banning Mii Fighters. The game has been out on Wii U for not even a month, and were already talking character bans. That's just absurd, because nobody has had time to test these things in a real competitive environment. This is talking about banning 3 unique characters from the game because somebody somewhere got OIP'd and got super salty about it. That's just crazy, since we currently have no real defined meta for this game yet.

Even so, the OIP is not something which should be bannable: being able to play multiple characters has always been practically a requirement in this series's metagame, to account for various matchups. So Mii Brawler can insta-ko Jigglypuff? The answer isn't to ban Mii Brawler, its to learn a character who counters the Brawler well so that you don't lose next time.

Also, people keep saying the Mii Fighters have custom moves. While it uses the same custom moves menu that other fighters do, these are not custom moves. Lets compare Samus and the Mii Fighters, for example.

Samus has 4 B-moves, like every other character. Her customs give her a variation of one move. Her side b, for example, will always fire missiles. The custom affects how those missiles behave. The same can be said for all of her custom moves, as well as the entire rest of the cast. The moves are not totally unique, except for Mii Fighters, and Palutena.

For Mii Fighters as well as Palutena, these moves are completely unique. They have unique behavior, knockback, momentum, and animations. Phase 2 said it best.

To respond to this:

On the subject of custom moves in general, tell me why tournaments must allow custom moves. Why not be able to have tournaments that can either allow or disallow custom moves? Also, besides giving characters options that may or may not be better or worse than the defaults, what else do custom moves actually add?
Tournament Organizers always have the final say, but it is important to see that Mii Fighters operate under a whole different kind of custom. It isnt fair to call their moves custom moves and brand them the same way we do all other customs, because each move is totally unique. Customs should be legal or illegal based on the discretion of the TO, but Mii Fighters should be allowed because every different type is totally unique, and its just not fair to put the "OH NO THIS IS A CUSTOM MOVE" blanket over all Miis, because this just bans 3 totally unique and fun characters from the game.

Last edited:

Phase 2

Smash Rookie
What's observable is that there is an instance of the game making the Miis use their default moveset (Event Mode), each type of Mii Fighter can choose from 12 special moves with the defaults automatically chosen just like every other character in this game, and they are similar to Palutena since each of their special moves look and function very differently, yet those are still considered to be customization options. The statement that the Mii Fighters don't have custom moves is blatantly untrue and the reasoning used to support this statement is flawed because it doesn't consider other reasons why the Mii Fighters can use custom moves at any point in Smash Mode.

What other reason would there be for Miis to have their customs allowed in Customization: Off other than the maker of the game designing the character that way? You can continue to bring up Event Mode all you want as well, it proves nothing about the intent of the developer with the character for actual gameplay in Smash Mode. There are many reasons why they would have 1111 movesets, least likely of which is your presumption.

And I'm not even saying that customs have to be in all tournaments, I'm saying there's absolutely no reason to ban them outside of the fact that not everyone has unlocked them all yet. Until they have been used extensively in a competitive setting (they haven't), you can't know if they add or detract from the gameplay. By banning them and Miis from the outset, you are precluding yourself from the chance to evaluate these gameplay elements. It's frankly asinine to think otherwise and you should realize you are objectively wrong. Refer back to the original post for a philosophical breakdown of why you are so wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom