• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming in from Hippo Island, at ??? pounds. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Id definitely love to see king hippo in this game, in at least some form. Hes easily the most memorable original character from the series.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
it would be cool if he threw pineapples for a special, and then could eat them after.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh yes! I would love King Hippo either as a playable character, an Assist Trophy, or a boss.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I don't think Hippo would be a boss if he got in - given the lack of an SSE this time around. That and bosses have traditionally never been the size of a playable character before, which Hippo most definitely is.

As an AT or a possible second rep would be my wager.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Actually, that does bring up a good point - should we assume that someone will assume Mac's assist trophy moveset in the next game? This is only their second time appearing so we don't really have anything to go off of.

I don't think any of the Punch-Out characters have the agility or personality to take on specifically that moveset (except maybe Disco Kid), maybe give it to Urban Champion if we see it again at all. Then just use King Hippo as the series' AT.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you rewatch the trailer, toward its beginning, you can see a 'Little Mac vs. King Hippo' poster on the wall. I think it's safe to say he'll be showing up in some form or another.

Smady

Smash Master
I expect King Hippo will be the assist trophy based on that poster. Little Mac's assist trophy can be retired considering much of it if not directly, indirectly is going to be absorbed into his moveset.

King Hippo may also be Mac's story mode boss or a stage hazard, but we know so little about how the bosses work in this game or the nature of the boxing stage it's impossible to say. Either way, PO!! is well-represented.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you rewatch the trailer, toward its beginning, you can see a 'Little Mac vs. King Hippo' poster on the wall. I think it's safe to say he'll be showing up in some form or another.
Where is it? I only see Von Kaiser at the end.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I do hope we see him in one way or another. I do support him as a playable character and he dose seem to be one of the more iconic fighters in the series.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Where is it? I only see Von Kaiser at the end.
The very beginning, where you first see Mac shadow-boxing in his pink hoodie. There's some other boxer on a poster to the Hippo poster's left, but I can't make out who that one is.

Didn't notice Von Kaiser at first, but going back, you're right. There's a Disco Kid poster at the end behind the Sandbag as well.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
The very beginning, where you first see Mac shadow-boxing in his pink hoodie. There's some other boxer on a poster to the Hippo poster's left, but I can't make out who that one is.

Didn't notice Von Kaiser at first, but going back, you're right. There's a Disco Kid poster at the end behind the Sandbag as well.

Pretty sure that's also Kaiser. However, King Hippo's name is clearly seen multiple times throughout the trailer, meaning he's going to be the one with focus in regards to extras/an AT apperance. I'd be willing to bet money on Kaiser and Joe both being regular trophies, however (not EVERY boxer is going to be a trophy. Just the core ones/maybe DK with gloves)

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well if someone was to join mac king hippo would be the most likely

Well even though I. Already saying that it's more likely for assist trophy I would like another punch out rep playable this would be cool

Smady

Smash Master
I'd love for Von Kaiser to be the assist trophy, but I think his appearance in the trailer is just because he's the most generic looking boxer. Either way I'm sure plenty of other PO!! characters will cameo on the stage. King Hippo has the best chance of something beyond that aside from Glass Joe.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interesting... so King Hippo is actually named in Little Mac's trailer... any other boxers were named too?

EDIT: Just saw Disco Kid is also named at the end of the trailer.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Kaiser would be a fun one! I don't see him or Joe happening though. Joe is fantastic, but I feel like his position as the useless AT is taken by Scarfy - who is confirmed to be returning.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
King Hippo would make an excellent character, maybe in the next installment though, with Little Mac's confirmation. Possibly, an Assist Trophy this time around.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd love to see Glass Joe as the AT, he can act like Starfy too, shaking and throwing weak punches before being easily knocked out. For me, King Hippo works well as a boss.

Smady

Smash Master
King Hippo's assist trophy pretty much writes itself. Blocks the foe and pushes them off-stage, parades back and forth.

There may be room for a second assist trophy, to give a classic and modern PO!! boxer.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Now that Lucina has been shown as a clone character and the Gematsu leak is pretty much dead, I would love to see the good King as a heavyweight variant on Mac. He's a pretty iconic boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom