• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neath

Smash Cadet
Well, since Isaac is probably not gonna make it in Smash 4, my vote goes for him.

+1 Isaac.

Haik

Smash Rookie
Alright, thanks for the headsup, added my reasoning to Isaac:

In comparison to most of the other candidates, I dont think he is a particularly interesting choice. Project M, expecially with Roy beeing added in, already has enough sword fighers in shiny armor in the rooster, so having another one just seems kind of redundant. It also doesnt help that Roy and Isaac look practically identical exept for colors. On a personal note, I also dont think the sword fighters fit the "Nintendo" feel of smash brothers all that well, as they all look like generic anime characters.
I take you haven't played Golden Sun then? Actually, no, I think another moveset would represent this better. I posted this in the Isaac thread, but things are looking grim, so I'll put it here as well.
Standard Moves: Not just another swordsman
  • Neutral: Jab
    • Isaac preforms a quick jab forward with the sword
  • Combo: Odyssey Psynergy
    • A set of rapiers appear to pierce the opponent after the initial jab and Isaac rushes forward to stab with a large glowing sword that has formed around his body
  • Dash: Leaping Slash
    • A throwback to the animation for attacking from the game, Isaac leaps into the air with sword overhead coming down with the blade a short distance ahead
  • Side Tilt: Impact Thrust
    • Isaac pulls his sword back and places one hand on the pommel of the sword before forcefully jabbing it forward (somewhat like Roy in Project M)
  • Side Smash: Critical Hit
    • Nearly identical to Isaac's dash attack, but after he lands there is a burst of Venus energy that pours out of the point of impact and goes forward slightly.
  • Down Tilt: Tremor Psynergy
    • The ground in front of Isaac shakes and moves a little and any opponent caught trips.
  • Down Smash: Quake Psynergy
    • The ground shakes and moves like with Tremor, but it is now on either side of Isaac and launches opponents
  • Up Tilt: Arcing Slash
    • Isaac does an arcing slash over his head.
  • Up Smash: Lift Psynergy
    • Two psynergy hands lift a boulder from the ground (it sits there like Ness's yo-yo until the attack is released) and the boulder is raised overhead. The movement of the hands and boulder can be altered somewhat with some directional input.
Aerial Moves: The air isn't his strength
  • Neutral: Djinn Defense
    • These two Djinn spin around Isaac along with a few pebbles
  • Forward: Force Psynergy
    • Isaac summons a psynergy fist and launches it forwards a short distance
  • Back: Move Psynergy
    • Isaac summons a psynergy hand that pushes opponents away
  • Up: Arcing Swing
    • Isaac slashes his blade over head somersaulting as he swings
  • Down: Spire Psynergy
    • Isaac creates a stalactite beneath him and drops it; this attack briefly halts Isaac's fall
Special Moves: How many aspects of the game can we cram here?
  • Neutral: Megiddo Unleash
    • Isaac draws his sword and an orb begins forming at the tip of his blade. This move can be charged and used later like most other charge attacks. When unleashed, Isaac hops upwards and backwards a short distance and throws the orb forward at a downward angle.
  • Side: Flint the Djinni
    • Isaac leaps forward with his blade like with his dash attack, but as he leaps Flint appears overhead charging Isaac's blade with Venus power. If the special button is pressed again during this animation, Isaac will pause briefly, and his blade will glow brighter yet. In either scenario, the energy is unleashed in a wave(size dependent on charge) when Isaac comes into contact with an opponent or the ground.
  • Up: Gaia Psynergy
    • A boulder appears under Isaac with two smaller rocks on either side of the boulder and the whole mess shoots upwards. The rocks and boulder fall at the peak of the ascent and Isaac can either do a short jump off the boulder with an jump input or can fall with the boulder, though he now gains some directional control. (Kinda like DDD)
  • Down: Summon Cybele
    • The small version of the plant monster plops out of Isaac and quickly burrows into the ground. When Isaac next uses his down special, vines shoot upwards out of that location. (Think Snake's mines, but with less sticking and more vertical plant growth)
Grabs: Isaac grabs using a more powerful version of the catch psynergy which gives him a grab somewhat like Olimar and has the added benefit of being a tether
  • Forward: A rock bursts from the ground and Isaac slams it into his opponent
  • Back: The psynergy hand drops the opponent behind Isaac and he slashes at them with his sword
  • Up: Vines sprout around the opponent and carry them upwards
  • Down: The hand drops the opponent and quickly forms into a fist above them and drops down (like the Pound pysnergy)

and that is basically all using game content only from his base class, ignoring the fact Isaac can use different weapons or change classes with different Djinn. The point being, you could make an Isaac character that has nothing but psynergy, djinn, and summons and would still be able to make more movesets than you can shake the earth at.

If that still isn't your style, you could make Isaac just use the different weapons he has access to throughout the game and the various unleashes they have, which includes axes and maces. So you could basically do what Smash did for Link's specials only instead of varied ranged weaponry it is varied melee weaponry. Also, I apologize if it seems like I am attacking you. I assure you I am just passionate about Isaac and want to share how cool he is.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd also like to encourage more discussion about Ray potential because CustomRobo was a ton of fun. The concept I'm thinking of for a moveset for him is something along the lines of his standard attacks being various guns and the specials being based off his pods, bombs, and legs. I could see also see making his standard attacks just the standard set (basic gun, bomb, pod, and ground legs) and making the specials some of the more unique weapons with one of the specials switching sets, like a set that uses the needle gun and gemini pod or the dragon gun and seeker pod. Like with Isaac, there is almost an overwhelming amount of potential for Ray.

Huffy

Smash Cadet
+1 Ridley

-1 Isaac, explanation: In comparison to most of the other candidates, I dont think he is a particularly interesting choice. Project M, expecially with Roy beeing added in, already has enough sword fighers in shiny armor in the rooster, so having another one just seems kind of redundant. It also doesnt help that Roy and Isaac look practically identical exept for colors. On a personal note, I also dont think the sword fighters fit the "Nintendo" feel of smash brothers all that well, as they all look like generic anime characters.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Okay I've been away from this thread for a while, but here's my new two cents.

Assuming that terrible roster leak for smash 4 is true (which it basically is), here's my top 7. Hopefully 7 characters do get added in the end:

De-cloned ganondorf
Ridly
Isaak
Ray
Sukapon
Dark samus
Saki

Others I wouldn't mind seeing but I don't care as much about (plus some may be too hard to build from scratch):

Paper mario
Waluigi
Krystal
King k rule
Masked man
Chrom
Mach rider

Ps I wana boycott smash4. I hate Sakurai, he's a huge a**hole

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Top Tier +1 to:
Pichu,​

A lesser +1 to:
Lyn,
Tetra,
Skull Kid,
Tom Nook
I don't want to hate on any character, but I REALLY want Pichu

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh ya true. How does it work now? Can I change my vote or what?
Not unless your stance has changed extremely since your original votes. Even then, you have to provide an extremely good reason why you are changing those votes.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Oh ya true. How does it work now? Can I change my vote or what?
In addition to what Sol said, if you cast your votes before Anti Guy made the rule that says you can't change them, then we'll allow a change. Otherwise, we only accept changes to Half and Down votes.

It's worth noting that we plan to reset the polls once the first character is revealed to give a bit of a clean slate.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Furthermore, if you end up not being able to change your full votes you can still add anyone else as a half vote should you still care about them enough to do so.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I had the thread open in a tab, and I typed something but didn't post it.

I returned to the tab and hit post, only to update the page and realize what I typed 5 minutes ago was Ninja'd 20+ times.
Get tweninja'd

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
In addition to what Sol said, if you cast your votes before Anti Guy made the rule that says you can't change them, then we'll allow a change. Otherwise, we only accept changes to Half and Down votes.

It's worth noting that we plan to reset the polls once the first character is revealed to give a bit of a clean slate.
Is a character reveal expected soon :O

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Would I be able to use my votes like this?

Paper Mario +3
King K. Rool +2

If not, these two currently get my vote.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
No. I still have no idea how people are getting the idea they can multi-vote.
Well, I read the OP and I swore that I saw that each poster received 5 votes. After rereading the OP, I now see that it said 5 characters. Simple mistake, I didn't hurt anyone by asking.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Would I be able to use my votes like this?

Paper Mario +3
King K. Rool +2

If not, these two currently get my vote.
Adding to what Shin said, you can only vote a single time per character. You only get 5 +1 votes, and they don't stack.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I haven't been to this thread yet, so if I'm doing something wrong please correct me.
+1 Paper Mario - This is a character that I really want in Smash 4, but it would be acceptable if he was here instead. Paper Mario has insane amounts of potential because of all his abilities and partners in-game. It shouldn't be hard to implement these into his moveset, and he would be a character that compliments characters such as regular Mario, Mr. Game and Watch, and Toon Link, while not being similar at all to any of them.
+1 Ninten - While the Mother series have very few games, they have an amazing following of supporters and fans who love them. He would bring the Mother representation up to 3 characters, which when compared to other franchises isn't really much. He would be a much easier addition to the roster than other characters, as even his model is practically there.
+1 Ridley - Another character that many would love to see in Smash 4, but I'm sure that they would be extremely happy to see him here as well. Currently the most deserving villain addition to the game, Ridley would also be a somewhat easy addition. I would like to see what the Project M team could come up with.
+1 Black Shadow and Ganondorf - This idea would appeal to more than one group of people. Fans of Ganondorf have always wanted to see him as his own character, and F-Zero deserves at least one more addition, and Black Shadow would be an easy fit by using his trophy model and Ganondorf's pre-used moveset.
-1 Dixie Kong - A very unnecessary addition. While she would be somewhat easy to make, I don't see her as a worthy addition. The DK series already has 2 primate reps, and she is very overshadowed by the series main villain, K. Rool. We need some more main villains, not already playable side characters.

Those are my thoughts on the additions, now I'm going to go play some PM. :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Alright. Thanks for the clarification.
My vote will go to Paper Mario!

So, Paper Mario +1

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well, I read the OP and I swore that I saw that each poster received 5 votes. After rereading the OP, I now see that it said 5 characters. Simple mistake, I didn't hurt anyone by asking.
It's just that you're not the first person to try to multi-vote a character, and I had no idea where people were getting the idea they could do that. Perhaps we should look into rephrasing that part of the OP.

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
So now that Ridley is pretty much guaranteed as not being playable in sm4sh, we can get him in PM, right?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So now that Ridley is pretty much guaranteed as not being playable in sm4sh, we can get him in PM, right?
How do you come to that conclusion? Not all the characters have been leaked yet and Ridley has still yet to be officially deconfirmed.

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
How do you come to that conclusion? Not all the characters have been leaked yet and Ridley has still yet to be officially deconfirmed.
It has all but been officially confirmed that the recent video leak was real, and despite what people are hoping it is highly likely that the character roster shown in those leaks is the final one. This, combined with the fact that Sakurai himself previously heavily hinted that Ridley would be a boss character on a Metroid stage similar to the style of Yellow Devil says, to me at least, that Ridley will not be a (normal) playable character in Sm4sh.

Arteen

Smash Lord
As stated earlier, there's a lot Isaac can do without a sword. He doesn't even use it for his Brawl appearance. He'd definitely have some sword-based moves, but one of the biggest reasons he has so many votes is because of everything else that he can do.

He can create earthquakes, launch boulders and spires, create, thorny vines, hover, melt into sand, lash out to ledges, attack with ethereal blades, summon, telekinetically push, pull, lift and grab, not to mention everything he could do with the other elements.

I don't know how much of that the Project M team could reasonably accomplish, but he'd be far from just another Fire Emblem-esque anime swordsman.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It has all but been officially confirmed that the recent video leak was real,
The gameplay is real, but this doesn't confirm the picture leaks. Anyone can fake those. It would take a pretty elaborate person to fake gameplay.

and despite what people are hoping it is highly likely that the character roster shown in those leaks is the final one.
This is your opinion. Not factual information.

This, combined with the fact that Sakurai himself previously heavily hinted that Ridley would be a boss character on a Metroid stage similar to the style of Yellow Devil says, to me at least, that Ridley will not be a (normal) playable character in Sm4sh.
Which still confirms nothing until we have seen it for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom