• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Be quiet you ungrateful scrub. To think someone of such doughy physique has even sought to challenge the Condor Nation? Sickening.
Psykid I cut a hole in your wall, placed a rotting fish in it, repaired the wall and left.

The real question is, how did I get in your house?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Alright. I found someone to give my +1 vote to. Changed my original vote for Shadow (Since he is likely no longer in the running) to Ninten. So here it is.

+1 vote to Ninten: I looked through many concepts over this thread, but the concept of a semi-clone of Ness and Lucas was something that really intrigued me. Mostly because I enjoy aspects of both Ness and Lucas, but was never able to completely enjoy playing as either of them. This seems like it would be a great solution for players like myself.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Check out this awesome Duck & Hound Moveset!
Has anybody suggested them for PM?
:079:

Although on a more serious note, i could see them being a character. I think the toughest part about them is the character name and while it's a bit lengthy compared to the majority of the cast, "Duck and Hound" has a nice flow to it kinda like "Game & Watch".

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Hey guys. Check out this awesome Duck & Hound Moveset!
Has anybody suggested them for PM?
:079:

Although on a more serious note, i could see them being a character. I think the toughest part about them is the character name and while it's a bit lengthy compared to the majority of the cast, "Duck and Hound" has a nice flow to it kinda like "Game & Watch".
Dound Huck fur p:m

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This post is quite late and I'm sorry for it. I've just been really busy and left this hanging in a tab unfinished.

@ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy

It's cool. I like the idea of having a move that allows two sets of normals, it's an easy way to make Takamaru unique without feeling out of place. The problem is that Project M Samus kind of treads familiar territory with her side taunt beam switching, but then again that only changes her fsmash, usmash, dtilt, and fair, so I guess it could still stand out.

I still like the idea of Takamaru being a character with a unique gimmick that doesn't feel overbearing or overcentralizing like some others (Olimar and Ice Climbers come to mind).
Hmm, in that case I'd like to try and add to my original move set suggestion with this:

Alternatively, Takamaru also shows potential to become the first sword play character with "stances" that change his game play depending on his sword being either drawn or sheathed. As a samurai prodigy, it's not a stretch to believe that Takamaru would be one proficient in a number of styles of eastern swordsmanship ranging from kendo (which relies primarily on thrusts and overhead swings from a fully brandished katana) to iaido/battoujutsu (the style of swordplay where the practitioner draws the blade from the sheathe and attacks in one fluid motion before returning the blade to its sheathe), the latter of which served the basis for the move set above. In this alternate take to the previous move set, Takamaru is able to switch between styles and use his blade's full reach (again only as long as Brawl Marth's sword) with more striking, stabbing and swinging attacks but loses on the overall speed and power that would be granted to him should he draw from the sheathe. In this design, pressing the neutral special button would have Takamaru either draw his blade out of its sheathe when he is empty handed or sheathe the sword when it is already out. This changes the dynamics of a match with the character in play and allows for a far more moment-by-moment based play as well as a unique technicality to his play style.

Drawn Sword Style Normals and changes to Specials:

Jab: Takamaru punches the opponent with the butt of the sword.
F-Tilt: Takamaru swiftly slashes a small area in front of himself. (Think of Baiken's forward heavy slash in Guilty Gear.)
D-Tilt: Takamaru crouches on one knee, reaches forward and swings his sword slashing at an opponent's heels. (Think of Bishamon's crouching heavy punch attack in Darkstalkers)
U-Tilt: (Ryu Sho Sen) Takamaru raises his blade straight out in the air performs a small hop with his empty hand supporting the back of the blade in a manner similar to Ike's u-tilt.
F-Smash: Takamaru assumes a kendo-ka's stance before making a quick step forward swinging his blade over his head and down straight in front of himself.
Down Smash: Takamaru spins in place, slashing the ankle of opponents on both sides.
Up Smash: Takamaru swings his sword from under himself upward in an arc ending the motion with a 30 degree stab into the air.
Neutral Air: Takamaru assumes a hopping pose while extending his blade downward. This move remains active until Takamaru touches the ground. (Sex blade?) (Think of Baiken's jumping heavy slash from Guilty Gear.)
U-Air: Takamaru spins his blade like a propeller in a manner similar to Pit's neutral air attack. Takamaru holds his sword above himself as he does this however. (Think Dante's Prop Shredder attack in Marvel vs Capcom 3 or the Devil May Cry series)
D-Air: Takamaru drops out of the air with a single hit Helm Splitter.
F-Air: Takamaru slashes the air in front of himself horizontally..
Dash Attack: (Gattotsu) Takamaru in mid run reaches back and stabs his blade forward, his momentum allowing him to slide somewhat.

Neutral B: Draw/Sheathe - Whenever Takamaru presses this button, he either draws his sword from his sheathe for the duration of the stock or until the B button is pressed again, which has him re-sheathe his katana. Takamaru's normals are all changed (the jabs, tilts, aerials and Smash attacks listed in the move set above are all shared with this Takamaru, but upon sheathing his sword, the normals laid out in the move set above become available. You can also cancel his Smash attacks on their ending frames with this.

Forward B: Fireballs - Work the same way as listed in previous move set.

Downward B: Throwing Knives & Windmill Swords - When the stick is tapped before B is pressed for this move, Takamaru pulls out a single throwing knife. These knives disappear after traveling a certain range after being tossed in a set direction. When the stick is flicked or "smashed" before pressing B, Takamaru pulls out a Windmill Sword projectile. These frisbee like blades travel full screen forward generating a whirling hit box cyclone that pushes people as it damages them (similar to the Windmill Sword in the previous move set).

Holding the B button a set amount of time has Takamaru generate two more of the projectile selected (Knives or Windmill Swords) for a total of three that he will throw all at once. When carrying the max number of projectiles (three), Takamaru throws the projectiles in ways to control greater area of the screen. Throwing knives are thrown in a fan like spread forward (one straight forward in the direction tossed, one diagonally downward and one diagonally upward). This is in reference to the Spread Shot power up from his game. Windmill Swords are thrown in the direction selected as a set stacked on top of one another. This reflects the attributes of the King Shogi piece ("Triple Shot" power up as it's called in the new Virtual Console release) upgrade on his projectiles.

Upward B: Invisibility Scroll - Works the same as the previous move set.

Link to previous move set for context.
What do ya think of this now Clone Engine Thread?

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
It's interesting how you say that with so much anti Guy in your name ;)

Actually my name came from Anti Guy (Paper Mario)
because Shy Guys are awesome and should rule the world. Too bad Nintendo doesn't really want to go further and make more major Shy Guy characters... I would totally vote for one.

A little trivia: Smashboards used to have an Anti Guy avatar that the admin added way back in the day when you had a gallery to choose from. It was a fanart that I requested from a friend in Japan.

Last edited:

Ginge

Smash Ace
They can ignore you.

Tread lightly...
Eh, I've talked to most of the vote counters for months. And I don't really step on people's toes with confrontational posts or statements. I'm usually level headed and logical while making jokes (that I'm obvious about) or sometimes valid contributions. *I* am not going to get ignored.

But the vote counters have on occasion discussed ignoring people and whether that was okay due to needing to respect votes (assuming they follow the rules of the OP and the board itself).

edit: Also, always have loved Shy Guy. Favorite generic Mario baddie.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Like some others have done before, I'll like to change my vote for shadow (due to the fact that Sonic's got a recolor that refferences him) into a vote for Takamaru, if it is within the bounds of possibility, of course, dear vote counters-senpai(?).

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Like some others have done before, I'll like to change my vote for shadow (due to the fact that Sonic's got a recolor that refferences him) into a vote for Takamaru, if it is within the bounds of possibility, of course, dear vote counters-senpai(?).
I think that's fine. What would you like to do with your existing for vote for Shadow? +1/2, 0, or -1?

Also, we haven't really discussed this before, but you do have a point -- the alt costume pretty much disconfirms Shadow. The costume looks way too much like Shadow for there to be an actual character (It's not like Luigi wearing Mario clothes, where you can still tell the difference).

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I think that's fine. What would you like to do with your existing for vote for Shadow? +1/2, 0, or -1?

Also, we haven't really discussed this before, but you do have a point -- the alt costume pretty much disconfirms Shadow. The costume looks way too much like Shadow for there to be an actual character (It's not like Luigi wearing Mario clothes, where you can still tell the difference).
I'd like to change it to a 0, but he should really be removed from voting IMO, because as you said, he is pretty much disconfirmed, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to say it.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd like to change it to a 0, but he should really be removed from voting IMO, because as you said, he is pretty much disconfirmed, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to say it.
The thing is, we still don't know if PMBR has picked all five slots yet. Shadow's chances are lower than ever, but technically, there's nothing stopping them from later deciding to remove the costume and make him a character. He's pretty much disconfirmed, but if nothing else, we may as well leave his results.

Should probably add a note in the OP about the costume, at the very least though.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Is lip kill? Pmbr should must now yes choose good enough characters to make up for it.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here are my votes:
Saki
Ray
Isaac
Dark Samus
Andy

My only downvote is Krystal, because I don't think that Star Fox needs 4 reps and I dislike her design.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Here are my votes:
Saki
Ray 01
Isaac
Dark Samus
Andy

My only downvote is Krystal, because I don't think that Star Fox needs 4 reps and I dislike her design.
Totally off topic but your signature is amazing.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
-1 Ninten
It's become quite apparent that Ninten would be an absolute waste of this mod's potential. Specifically because canonically he is Ness. Think there's a lot of confusion there, but between Mother 1 and 2, Ninten is put into the Witness Protection Program so that Giygas can't track him down. He's given the new name, Ness. This was hinted at by Itoi in Nintendo Power issue #23, in which Shigesato said,

"Mother 2 will reference Mother 1, but not continue directly off of it's plot."

Meaning that while the game is a sequel, it exists as such in a hidden manner. The big Secret? Ness is Ninten. Even if he wasn't, it's not like we'd need another pretentious kid with a ball-cap and the tendency to cheesily announce every "PSI move" he performs prancing around Smash. Ness is bad. The only reason he was in Smash 64 was because Goku's model had too many polygons for the turbo drive of the N64 to maintain. Then when Sakurai asked Nintendo of America how the character was received, they responded in English. Their message said,

"No one knew who he was."

Sakurai, who at the time couldn't afford to hire a translator used his little knowledge of English to understand the message. His translation was,

"He has so much swagger that guard dogs want to get up in his crib for a little lick."

So the character was carried into Melee, and Brawl. (Which were developed at the same time fyi.) The character sucks! And you wan't two versions of him?!? [LMFAO! ROFL! POFLD!] Toon Link and Link are bad enough, being father and son. You people are ridiculous, sometimes.

People support Ninten but my boi Dr. Mario can't get his own slot? Yeah, that makes sense. GG Community.
How bored did you get working on that Roy to come up with this silly prank Shin? Lololol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom