• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I had a few issues with the controls, thought they could use to be just a touch more responsive, but I agree. The overworld was garbage and the soundtrack wasn't nearly memorable enough, but otherwise it was really really good.
I agree that the controls were a bit iffy at times.

I thought the Overworld was gorgeous and traversing it was nice; other than the flying.

I really liked the soundtrack, but the style they chose was not something I would want to have on a MP3. Beautiful and fitting for the game, not fitting for listening to outside of the game though aside from a few choice songs.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The controls were never really an issue for me, but I realize I was lucky there.

The music...the music was very good, very high quality, but not very memorable.
And I didn't mind the sky, but I've always been a sucker for flying. I used to boot up Wii Sports Resort just to fly around. I actually wish I had a Pilotwings game...

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703

I love you for even considering making my favorite Pokemon

:D! Leafeon's my fave too, haha. I think he'd be perfect based off Ivysaur, and then I'd see how far I could go in regards to changing A-attacks. I'd really love to get him using his tail in a lot of the standard attacks, maybe replacing anything that Ivysaur does with a vine with Leafeon's tail and giving him some Marth-esque aerials in place of Ivy's Uair/Bair.

And yeah, Leafeon is totally the best. 8) I had a GSD until recently (lost her to cancer @_@), and Leafeon always reminded me of her - same sort of colors, same kind of ears/tail. So I've always thought he was awesome.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
At first I thought we had enough Pokemon in the game.

Then I realized Leafeon was a trophy.

Wait, really? !!! I didn't even know that.

Oh yeah, I just googled it - the Glaceon/Leafeon combo. Yeah!!!!

Just to clarify, I'm by no means saying I want the PMBR to do this. It's just something I would do as my first "clone engine project" if the clone engine is ever opened up to us in that way, as a way of testing what I was capable of. Leafeon's a character I really like that I doubt anybody else will ever make a unique character, so I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes by making him. Really, it'd just be a fun way to get some good practice with the clone engine while also kinda fulfilling an unrealistic wish I've had for a while. =)

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
My very first post on anything ever.

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and I wanna give my votes nao.

Personally, I don't think over/under-representation is much of an issue for a mod like this. The main purpose of the mod is to create a fun and balanced competitive experience, not to promote Nintendo's games. Keep that in mind as you read my votes.

UpVotes:
  1. Isaac: Everyone wants this guy, and it's not a horrible idea, so I don't see why not. I've never played a Golden Sun game, so I can't really vouch for him myself.
  2. Lyn: As a HUGE Fire Emblem fan, this is a no brainer for me. While characters like Hector, Ephraim, or Micaiah would be better in terms of roster diversity, Lyn is more popular than all three of them combined, and would probably be easier to implement than them as well. If PM wants to add another FE character, Lyn is definitely the best choice overall.
  3. Ridley: Another insanely popular choice. I'm not really big on Metroid, but I must admit, I like this guy. I'd rather see Ridley over Dark Samus any day of the week.
  4. Tom Nook: Possibilities........
  5. Sukapan: I don't know how this thing fights in it's own game, but those disjointed limbs give me an idea of a moveset similar to Dhalsim's. That alone is awesome enough for me.
1/2Votes:
  • Waluigi: Crotch chop taunt. I needs it
  • Krystal: While I do agree that she's kind of a shallow side character, I want her strictly because of the unique moveset she could bring us with her staff. Other than that though, I don't like her too much.
  • Paper Mario: Probably would've been my 6th choice if I had one, but I don't think cloning him off of G&W would do him justice IMO. If they could make it work, then I'm all for it.
  • Andy: If they were to add an Advance Wars character, I'd want to see Andy being added over Sami, even though PM would most likely have an easier time with her. Having a moveset using a wrench inspired by Ratchet and Clank just appeals to me so much.
Indifferent:
  • Pichu: While I'm not against him, I think there could be some better uses of all 5 slots for new, original characters. However, if the PMBR announces that they won't use all 7, I'd like them to add Pichu in that situation just to make Project M seem even more like a sequel to Melee.
  • Sonic/Metal Gear Characters: If the characters are in Brawl as trophies/stickers, I don't see a big deal in adding more 3rd party characters, if they are allowed to do so. However, I don't like Sonic games and I've never played anything from MGS, so if they're unable to add 3rd party or they just refuse to add them at all, I wouldn't be bothered in any sense of the word.
  • Toad: ...................EHHHHHHH.
  • Samurai Goroh: The only F-Zero character I'd like to see, but that's not good enough for one of my votes.
  • Dark Samus: Considering the interesting (and tangible) ideas for a moveset in these threads, I wouldn't mind her if Ridley isn't a possibility. But, as ChronoBound has said numerous times, that makes 3 characters named Samus.
DownVotes:
  • Black Shadow/Ganondorf: While normally I don't like to bash on anyone's ideas, I would just HATE to see this happen. I love Ganondorf the way he is, and to be honest, Black Shadow is probably less significant than Toadette or even a Goomba........ANY Goomba. I think this'll really only make a small portion of people happy and it'll disappoint at least twice as many. This may even make some people a little mad (like me), and that's not something I don't think the PMBR would want. While one could make the argument that not including any character could make anyone mad, this is different. Doing this would essentially remove something that a lot of us have grown to love. I understand that, to some people, Ganondorf's moveset in Melee was a mistake, but this "mistake" has been around for over a decade.
  • Young Link: As a Zelda fan........no............just.......no..... If ANYTHING, an alt costume would be acceptable, but both links have theirs already, soooooooooo.
  • Metal Mario: ....
NPH-dissapoint.gif

I just really needed to get that out of my system, cause it's been bugging me for a while. I won't respond to anything regarding these downvotes if I feel it'll start a flame war of some kind. With that, I'll return to my hole. :)

Fortress

Smash Master
Hey, lurking for a week before making a single post is something I wish I would do. I mean, I accumulated, like, five-hundred posts over the course of a couple of days. I contributed... maybe... eight things that were productive..?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Hey, lurking for a week before making a single post is something I wish I would do. I mean, I accumulated, like, five-hundred posts over the course of a couple of days. I contributed... maybe... eight things that were productive..?
Five Hundred? I don't think I've written that much........ever. But to be fair, I did enjoy reading a lot of what you had to say.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My very first post on anything ever.

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and I wanna give my votes nao.

Personally, I don't think over/under-representation is much of an issue for a mod like this. The main purpose of the mod is to create a fun and balanced competitive experience, not to promote Nintendo's games. Keep that in mind as you read my votes.

UpVotes:
  1. Isaac: Everyone wants this guy, and it's not a horrible idea, so I don't see why not. I've never played a Golden Sun game, so I can't really vouch for him myself.
  2. Lyn: As a HUGE Fire Emblem fan, this is a no brainer for me. While characters like Hector, Ephraim, or Micaiah would be better in terms of roster diversity, Lyn is more popular than all three of them combined, and would probably be easier to implement than them as well. If PM wants to add another FE character, Lyn is definitely the best choice overall.
  3. Ridley: Another insanely popular choice. I'm not really big on Metroid, but I must admit, I like this guy. I'd rather see Ridley over Dark Samus any day of the week.
  4. Tom Nook: Possibilities........
  5. Sukapan: I don't know how this thing fights in it's own game, but those disjointed limbs give me an idea of a moveset similar to Dhalsim's. That alone is awesome enough for me.
I pretty much have the same idea as far as choices go. The only difference is that I would swap Sukapon for Dixie Kong (or K. Rool).

I think a more unconventional choice (yet would be popularly received) that represents a long running Nintendo franchise like Tom Nook or Sami should be one of the slots.

My only concern about Tom Nook is how feasible he would be since there is no character I could see him being cloned from (whereas Isaac could be based from a combo of a sword character and Ness/Lucas/Zelda, Lyn from a FE character or Link, Ridley from Charizard, Dixie from Diddy/DK).

However, as mentioned earlier, some pluses in his favor is he doesn't need a voice, and the model doesn't need to be detailed as most other characters.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I think a more unconventional choice (yet would be popularly received) that represents a long running Nintendo franchise like Tom Nook or Sami should be one of the slots.

My only concern about Tom Nook is how feasible he would be since there is no character I could see him being cloned from (whereas Isaac could be based from a combo of a sword character and Ness/Lucas/Zelda, Lyn from a FE character or Link, Ridley from Charizard, Dixie from Diddy/DK).

However, as mentioned earlier, some pluses in his favor is he doesn't need a voice, and the model doesn't need to be detailed as most other characters.
Personally, I don't think Tom Nook would need a whole lot of articles in order to properly display his character, so that opens up a lot more options in terms of who to use as a base.

However, even with those lowered restrictions, Tom Nook's moveset would still require a lot of imagination (some interesting ideas were posted in this thread earlier).

Thinking of his best possible base seems difficult.
I was going to suggest Peach, just for her turnips, but I read somewhere that the turnips aren't actually articles, but locked items that only Peach can spawn. Not sure if that's true or not.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
:D! Leafeon's my fave too, haha. I think he'd be perfect based off Ivysaur, and then I'd see how far I could go in regards to changing A-attacks. I'd really love to get him using his tail in a lot of the standard attacks, maybe replacing anything that Ivysaur does with a vine with Leafeon's tail and giving him some Marth-esque aerials in place of Ivy's Uair/Bair.

And yeah, Leafeon is totally the best. 8) I had a GSD until recently (lost her to cancer @_@), and Leafeon always reminded me of her - same sort of colors, same kind of ears/tail. So I've always thought he was awesome.
>He
>Him

:smirk: Sure.

Gender doesn't really matter for smash but you imply too much.

------------------
Side note: Sylveon could work off of an Ivysaur clone since the ribbons could act as the vines.
At first I thought we had enough Pokemon in the game.

Then I realized Leafeon was a trophy.
I don't think the PMBR would even think of putting in a Pokemon without decent enough representation. Hell, the only reason we got Mewtwo is because of his Melee Vet status.

If we are going to get any more Pokemon, it's definitely going to be Pichu.

It's tragic to say that too because I would have so much hype to play Leafeon. But then again, Im here to play Super Smash brothers not Super Pokemon Ambiguous...ness....

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't think Tom Nook would need a whole lot of articles in order to properly display his character, so that opens up a lot more options in terms of who to use as a base.

However, even with those lowered restrictions, Tom Nook's moveset would still require a lot of imagination (some interesting ideas were posted in this thread earlier).

Thinking of his best possible base seems difficult.
I was going to suggest Peach, just for her turnips, but I read somewhere that the turnips aren't actually articles, but locked items that only Peach can spawn. Not sure if that's true or not.
I do think Tom Nook would be a "safer" choice than Sami (or Lip), however, its just the difficulty that makes me wonder whether he is practical.

I would be very interested to see the Project M's take on a playable Animal Crossing character compared to that of Sakurai's.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Didn't expect you to. Just wanted to show you how viewing the voting results can help manipulate the rest of the votes

Well, I was hoping people would be reasonable/mature when responding. If that apparently doesn't work, I could make it so that people would have to at least briefly explain all their votes for them to count. Now that would be a hassle, wouldn't it?

Jevedor

Smash Cadet
Vote Ups
Ganondorf/Black Shadow (New Ganon could play a bit like Ike, with peach-like floating move and a projectile)
Ridley (A variation on his sse version mixed with charizard. I would want a fireball projectile though.)
Waluigi (A variation of Luigi, less slidey. )
Isaac (based on a lucas/marth moveset maybe?)
King K Rool. (base on bowser, but faster. Swap neutral B with something else other than fire, and forward B with a dash grab instead of stationary)

Half vote
Dixie
Dark Samus
Krystal
Pichu
Lyn

Down Vote
Bowser Jr
Paper Mario
Hector
Sukapon

Dont have a 5th down vote

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Well, I was hoping people would be reasonable/mature when responding. If that apparently doesn't work, I could make it so that people would have to at least briefly explain all their votes for them to count. Now that would be a hassle, wouldn't it?
A poll designed so voters can't see the voting results, so it would be less biased.
Shadow fans wouldn't attempt to vote for Shadow because they can see it has too much down votes.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
>He
>Him

:smirk: Sure.

Gender doesn't really matter for smash but you imply too much.

? Is there some unofficial consensus about what gender Leafeon is, or something? XD I wasn't aware of that, but whatever - my Leafeon was a guy, so I call him he. I don't really like calling them "it", even in smash where it's tough to tell. Jiggs is a she, Pikachu's a he, Ivy's a she, Charizard's a he, etc etc.

I don't even like how the games keep saying "It hurt itself in its confusion!" They know the genders of all the pokemens now, why can't they just say "She hurt herself in her confusion?"

If the pokemon community decided that all Leafeons are to be referred to as female, then I heartily apologize for my egregiously offensive error. I'll give myself 50 paddlings as penance.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If the pokemon community decided that all Leafeons are to be referred to as female, then I heartily apologize for my egregiously offensive error. I'll give myself 50 paddlings as penance.
Oh no. Technically it should be referred to as an it but the disposition of gender on a Pokemon is dependent on the person's preference unless it's not allowed (IE a male khangaskhan)

I was just screwing around with you by implying it should be female.

This is too off topic unless we are actually discussing the possibility of Leafeon making it in.

Wait....we are. I'm still behind the idea of it happening. :nifty:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oh no. Technically it should be referred to as an it but the disposition of gender on a Pokemon is dependent on the person's preference unless it's not allowed (IE a male khangaskhan)

I was just screwing around with you by implying it should be female.

This is too off topic unless we are actually discussing the possibility of Leafeon making it in.

Wait....we are. I'm still behind the idea of it happening. :nifty:

Haha, my bad! I really thought I'd committed some Pokemon faux pas or something. XD So was your Leafeon a girl, then? That's really cute!

Just curious, what would you do for Leafeon's specials - leave them as they are now, or change things up? They'd all technically be feasible, but it might be interesting if Leafeon played like a more physical grass pokemon, to Ivy's range-oriented grass pokemon playstyle. But I'm not sure what I'd change, cause I really like all of Ivy's moves.

Celestis

Smash Ace
You clearly dont know about the 9999 dmg glitch on Geno Whirl lol.

Also I think Claus/Masked Man would be a fairly feasible character to implement.

He has a lot of elements of other characters you could pull from. The cape/bat wings combined with the sword would make it easy to pull moves from Metaknight, while the canon arm from Samus. Not to mention he is Lucas' twin so pulling moves off Lucas and Ness would also work. Also for those wondering, there is a sticker of Claus in the game, so he is licensed in Brawl.

I know people are going to say "god 3 EB chars" but in terms of a "unique" character being added I would rank him up there with the best of them. Not to mention he is apart of Mother 3 godlike story.
This post is mildly old, but Oh Em Geee! I would so dig this! Claus has so much room for an original move set. His Final Smash be his big Lightening attack! =3. This would be the biggest Hype for me. Though I bet it would get very little support.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Just curious, what would you do for Leafeon's specials - leave them as they are now, or change things up? They'd all technically be feasible, but it might be interesting if Leafeon played like a more physical grass pokemon, to Ivy's range-oriented grass pokemon playstyle. But I'm not sure what I'd change, cause I really like all of Ivy's moves.
From here on out "Esque" shall be used to refer to "Similar to the character referenced's move" "X" shall refer to "no ideas"

I assume you just mean the B moves.

Vine whip would of been able to work....If Leafs could learn it.
For Up B as a replacement I would suggest using wolf's Up B as a base for "Aerial Ace"

Side B could stay razor leaf but I have a better idea for what to do with razor leaf. I'd turn Side B into something Marth/Roy Esque since Leafeon specializes in Blade attacks Via Leaf blade.

Down B would have to be something unique. Perhaps a short range (Like 1 character model short) razor leaf shot from both sides. Not sure how that would work in the air

Neutral B could remain as synthesis ---> Solarbeam or be changed into Energy ball. Leafeon wouldn't be getting charges from attacks though so I would rather change Synthesis to charge faster while weakening solar beams power and making it shoot straight forwards instead of a 45* angle.

The other things I have to mention.
Forward smash should be Link Esque, slashing twice, once with the blade on it's head and another with the blade on it's tail.

Neutral air would be Meta knight Esque.

This character could literally be built off of other characters :smirk:
Fair ---> Link
Bair --->Lucas. Tail would be slashing instead of kicking. No spike. Bucking could also be used but that's more of a horse's trait
Uair ----> X.
Dair ---> Considering Marth Esque but not sure.

Ftilt ---> Quick slash with Leaf blade from the head. Probably Marth Esque
Utilt ---> X
Dtilt ---> Falco Esque. Not as much launch power.
Jab ---> Two slashes with Headblade, third would be with the tail blade

Fsmash ----> as referenced above, Link Esque
Usmash ----> Backflip tail slash.
Dsmash ---> Spinning slash. Probably Squirtle Esque, but sends enemies horizontally.

...That's all I got.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Up vote Ridley and Lyn.
Downvote Samurai Goroh, Waluigi, Pichu, Isaac, and Dixie.

To be blunt, a lot of the choices are really awful, but at the same time I cannot complain about it because of limitations making things more restricted.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why downvote Isaac you killjoy?

He's awesome. His playstyle would really add to the roster cause of the creativitiy the team can have with this character. Earth based moves are rare in Smash, as well as characters that focus mostly on grondplay. Isaac would specalise in these features, no mather what the team does with him.

He has that anime styled appearance, people are gonna love him like they loved Marth and Roy. Golden Sun probably has far more fans now than Fire Emblem had pre-Melee. Isaac is a good choice.

Paper Mario also isn't a bad choice. Melee had 5 Mario character counting Dr.Mario, why would Paper Mario be a bother if he offers so much more than Dr.Mario in playstyle?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

He's awesome. His playstyle would really add to the roster cause of the creativitiy the team can have with this character. Earth based moves are rare in Smash, as well as characters that focus mostly on grondplay. Isaac would specalise in these features, no mather what the team does with him.

He has that anime styled appearance, people are gonna love him like they loved Marth and Roy. Golden Sun probably has far more fans now than Fire Emblem had pre-Melee. Isaac is a good choice.
WELL GEE SORRY THAT I ACTUALLY PLAYED GOLDEN SUN AND FIND IT GENERIC AS HOLY HELL AND THINK ISAAC WOULDN'T INTRODUCE MUCH TO THE TABLE MAYBE I SHOULD KILL MYSELF FOR HAVING AN OPINION.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

Paper Mario also isn't a bad choice. Melee had 5 Mario character counting Dr.Mario, why would Paper Mario be a bother if he offers so much more than Dr.Mario in playstyle?
God forbid anyone have an opinion different from yours. If Xeno wants to downvote Isaac that's fine.

Also, Paper Mario wasn't even mentioned?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No you're just a killjoy.
Don't you have that fat old ***** from The Legend of Zelda to masturbate to or something? Because one thing for sure is that we should be playing by different rules here, with the restrictions what we might envision will probably not be fully realized for one reason or another. Hence I think Isaac wouldn't be as strong as a choice in this context, but if it was for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS I would be more enthusiastic.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
This post is mildly old, but Oh Em Geee! I would so dig this! Claus has so much room for an original move set. His Final Smash be his big Lightening attack! =3. This would be the biggest Hype for me. Though I bet it would get very little support.

The masked man would be great, and/or Poo from earthbound too. They could be loosely based on Ness or Lucas, but could have a good chunk of them changed significantly. Poo could have ninja and psychic moves and the masked man could have a move that works the way Lucas' old PK fire worked. I loved his PK fire.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't you have that fat old ***** from The Legend of Zelda to masturbate to or something? Because one thing for sure is that we should be playing by different rules here, with the restrictions what we might envision will probably not be fully realized for one reason or another. Hence I think Isaac wouldn't be as strong as a choice in this context, if it was for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS I would be more enthusiastic.
Lol wat?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
¿No tienes esa grasa vieja *** de The Legend of Zelda para masturbarse a o algo así? Porque una cosa es seguro que nosotros deberíamos estar jugando por diferentes reglas, con las restricciones imaginamos podríamos probablemente no totalmente realizará por una razón u otra. Por lo tanto creo que Isaac no sería tan fuerte como una opción en este contexto, si era para Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS que sería más entusiasta.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Masked Man would be a fun one, yeah. Mother could use another rep that's not Ninten. :p Did he show up in Brawl as a sticker or trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom