• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
During this he should be able to control his vertical speed slightly, and it should put him into special fall.

(I made edits to my earlier post btw.)
Those work, although I would like to have him in actual 3D rather than as a sprite. And yeah, it could act kind of like Toon Link's grounded Spin Attack, but it would work in the air and on the ground and allow him vertical control as well.

I would want him like that^

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Balloon Fighter could be verrrry interesting. The number of balloons could affect his weight/fall speed too. So he'd need a move to get rid of balloons for maximum control. He could either release a balloon for a vertical projectile, or just pop one for an air push. Or just a non-damaging get rid of balloon move.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Balloon Fighter could be verrrry interesting. The number of balloons could affect his weight/fall speed too. So he'd need a move to get rid of balloons for maximum control. He could either release a balloon for a vertical projectile, or just pop one for an air push. Or just a non-damaging get rid of balloon move.
That is an excellent idea. It would give him a great deal of control in the air, allowing him to determine number of jumps and fall speed. He can choose to be a fast-faller for comboing, or sacrifice his fall speed for greater recovery. What a dynamic character!

... Oh, dang, that last sentence makes me sound like I'm channeling Sakurai.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm up for balloon fighter. 1/2 vote for him

b-but that condor tho.... I want moar IC goodness. 1/2 vote 4 condor. (serious, since 1/2 votes are infinite.)

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
You know that bird beak the opposing balloon fighters wear around their faces? Maybe his down special could be him using one to pop one of his balloons.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm up for balloon fighter. 1/2 vote for him

b-but that condor tho.... I want moar IC goodness.
Be strong. The allure of the Condor is powerful, but that doesn't mean we can't have both!

You know that bird beak the opposing balloon fighters wear around their faces? Maybe his down special could be him using one to pop one of his balloons.
Awesome idea! I was thinking he could use a pin needle, but the beak would be better.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
1/2 vote for Balloon Fighter.

1/2 vote for condor.

I wasn't here for all this condor business but I figured heck, why not?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Same. 1/2 vote to both Our Savior The Condor and to Balloon Fighter, as well as Mach Rider.

EDIT: you know I wonder what Anti Guy thinks of all this talk of Our Savior. I didn't think about that until now.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Another update for my rant on how super-coolbest Sukapon is. The Joy Mechs' movesets contain quite a few remarkable and recognizable (to those who've played) attacks Sukapon could use, even if not as an attack. Some would simply require rotations or just have a couple poses, while others are quite complicated and not really worth the effort, but I've thrown them all in just in case it's inspiring (and because I found making them enthralling). To prevent this post from being entirely unproductive, the first few present some interesting gameplay elements.

[collapse="Pictures of Robots"]

Giant's Dash could make a good f-smash. Since its JMF input involves holding backwards, Giant's backwalk could be the charging animation, which fits with the focus on aim and natural dodges as the player uses the move to space itself.

Flame's Air Throw could be u-throw, capable of meteoring (or even weakly spiking) offstage less situationally than Fox/Charizard/G&W's d-throws, as well as placing opponents onto/off of platforms. Contrasts with the rest of the moveset in demanding proper spacing not to hit, but to hit in the right place.
There are plenty of other throws in JMF, so I won't mention them all.

Eye Copter, as a nair or uair, could be the first aerial that's bipartite like Link's f-smash. The JMF move also provides a slight hop when used, which could be translated to the first/second/both portions of the Smash version, again conforming to the emphasis on natural dodges. The picture above demonstrates the second portion being activated at different times: not at all, immediately, upon descending, and just before landing.
Also it has a cool sound.

Skater's Triple Somersault would be a distinctive nair or uair. The lengthy duration and multiple attacking pieces gives plenty of room for a complex move with various hitbox properties based on proper timing. The pose is also basically a more centralized version of Sukapon's Jump Kick.
Alternatively, Sukapon could substitute its hands for Skater's tires (hitting only with its feet and head) and use it as a ground attack. Come to think of it, Sukapon could perform the attacks of robots that have more pieces by ejecting pieces from a compartment in her head or body, or even splitting its body into separate pieces.

Sukapokon's Nonsense as a rapid jab is obvious. It could function as a sort of desperation attack, just resulting in punishment in most occasions. Fast to come out and covering a large area (thus not needing precision), but slow to end, leaving plenty angles open, with weak hitboxes that refresh too slowly to keep the opponent in hitstun and that can even occasionally miss simply by virtue of being too chaotic.

Senju's Kick looks almost as silly as the kind of things Sukapon does, and could be an f-tilt if it were more horizontal. Of course, a precision-based character would need angleable f-smash and f-tilt, and maybe even other tilts, smashes, aerials, or even grabs. Sukapon's a great choice for such abilities since posture isn't an issue, and it would provide more options for natural-dodging.
Though with such freedom in attacking, there would need to be something to keep spacing thoughtful and skillful, rather than changing gameplay into simply pointing and clicking. Variance in more than solely damage and knockback would help, such as range, l-cancel timing, and ancillary movements. The attacks themselves could also be built around this issue by striking more involved areas than just outward in the given direction, or by being long-lasting with small hitboxes so Sukapon is left wide open if it angles incorrectly.

Hover's Good Punch could be a fairly laggy, long-ranged, spacing-dependent grab.

Flame's Fire Fury/Gel's Invisibility could be Sukapon's Assist Trophy activation pose, with the Trophy placed on its foot or head. The first pose could also be used for growing with the second for shrinking, and it could be reversed for teching in place.

A flailing headstand based on Grak's Reversekick would be a fitting getup attack for Sukapon.

Shenlong's Dragon Spin could be used for rolls, and Sky Dragon a ledge jump, but they look both uncharacteristically majestic and brutal for actual attacks by Sukapon.

Superzak's Zak Kick, Legend's Heel Press, Star's Crash Back, and Hover's Meteor Shot are all possibilities for interesting ledge attacks.

Bok Bok's Hurricanbok could be a ledge roll.

Ghoston's Ghost Dance looks like a >99% ledge roll, although it's at the forefront of the "pointlessly complicated" rank.

Star's Cannon Hit pose looks like a wall-tech-jump.

For attacks with bludgeoning weapons, Geo's Leg Sweep as jab, Skater's Spin Upper as dash attack, and Sasuku's good punch as smash (with the little flip as the charging animation) all stand out. Of course, attacks while armed could instead just use the same animation as the unarmed version.

Garborg's Good Punch/Hammer Wave could work for tilt with bludgeoning weapons and for firing projectile weapons.

To get fancy, Sukapon's Hammer animation could be based off Dachon's Wild Dash or Ra's Spinning, or both with Wild Dash while moving and Spinning while idle. Wild Dash would also work for eating, and Spinning for teetering.

Houou's Hououcannon could be an item- or forward- throw, but it's another of the more detailed moves.
Also it has a cool sound.
[/collapse]

Also, a new thought has occurred to me: If Sukapon is designed around aiming, it would be disproportionately effective against bigger targets. Of course, this should be offset by bigger targets having bigger attacks, making it harder for her to slip through (or around) them. But there’s a more creative way to turn smallness into a weakness: attacks which have sweetpots nearby the higher-priority normal hitboxes in such a way that the sweetspot is in a tunnel, making it harder or impossible to hit larger enemies with only the sweetspot.
As examples: ground attacks with a sweetspot on the bottom, so only short enemies will be low enough; mid-range attacks with a sweetspot on the nearer side of the attacking piece, so that wide opponents won’t be able to fit between the normal hitbox and the rest of Sukapon’s body; a sweetspot on its head and torso during Eye Copter, so Sukapon must thread the needle of itself with its opponent; and a sweetspot on its torso during Triple Somersault, so to land it Sukapon must begin next to an enemy and encircle them with its extremities.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
That Balloon Fighter idea is actually super awesome, I think. I really dig the idea of adding or removing balloons on command to add jumps, air mobility, etc. THAT is what I like the see in a character. Honestly, I am always more interested in a character that is fun to play more so than anything else. Add that guy asap, pl0x. <3

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Look at your Balloon Fighter, then back to me. Back to your Balloon Fighter. Now back to me. You see a voter you votees can vote like. Look down, and back again. This character has turned into a handfull of moveset potential. Now look down and BACK again. Solbliminal has gave Balloon Fighter his half-vote. I'm on a Condor.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Look at your Balloon Fighter, then back to me. Back to your Balloon Fighter. Now back to me. You see a voter you votees can vote like. Look down, and back again. This character has turned into a handfull of moveset potential. Now look down and BACK again. Solbliminal has gave Balloon Fighter his half-vote. I'm on a Condor.
Balloon Fighter I believe already has my half vote from a while back. But if he didn't, this would certainly make me want to :p
!/2 vote for the Condor. !/2 vote for Balloon Fighter if I didn't already.

TeddyBearz

Smash Rookie
+1 Ray
+1 Sukapon
+1 Condor
+1 Waluigi
+1 Dixie Kong

- Ridley: I love him, I do, but he's just not right as small as he is.
- Dark Samus: What would really be different about her moveset. I'll change this if someone will go into full detail.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
One character that I have literally seen nobody talk about is Galacta Knight.
I know that he really isn't needed as the Kirby series already has 3 reps, but it would still be pretty cool to have him in.
His lance could give him a longer reach than Meta Knight and he could have more aerial mobility.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I know that he really isn't needed as the Kirby series already has 3 reps, but it would still be pretty cool to have him in.
His lance could give him a longer reach than Meta Knight and he could have more aerial mobility.
No one talked about him because he is not eligible to be in Project M, since he does not meet the requirements. That being, a character has to make an appearance in the game (Vanilla Brawl) in some shape or form. This is to prevent C&D issues for using a character not originally licensed in the game.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
We don't talk about him because he's not in vBrawl in any way, shape or form. Hell, his game came after Brawl.
*Ninja'd*

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I've always wanted to discuss the possible movesets for the easier to clone candidates, like Bowser Jr. / Dark Samus / Knuckles. For instance what moves would be nearly identical and which moves would you like to see tweaked or modified with different KB trajectories/properties or just completely replaced.

Personally I'd want to go over Bowser Jr. since a Bowser/Squirtle hybrid could be really interesting, not to mention the paint stick which could be implemented into some of his attacks as a disjoint to give him a little more range.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I see Dark Samus as being the "get in your face real quick and annoy the living **** out of you" type of character. Like I said a million times, she/it would need a quick teleport move à la Mewtwo, but have less projectiles than Samus and be more combo-oriented. Being a fast-faller would also work better.

I'm sorry I can't come up with a moveset.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Got my hands on DKC: Tropical Freeze yesterday. I can honestly say I really missed playing as Dixie Kong. Not sure if I already gave her a half-vote or not, but 1/2 vote for Dixie Kong.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Awesome. I'm glad I gave a full vote for Dixie. As a child, she was honestly one of my favorite video game characters. If she doesn't make the cut for Smash 4, I at least hope she makes her way into P:M.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Full Votes

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

Lip (Panel de Pon)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Ridley (Metroid)

Half Votes

Lyn (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Ninten (MOTHER/Earthbound Zero)
Toad (Super Mario Bros.)
Prince Sable (For The Frog Bell Tolls)
Ray (Custom Robo)

I know that there are a ton of people who will be opposed to this option though. For those who believe in getting the most out of our remaining spots in terms of both bringing under served properties forward or just getting the most out of franchise diversity, adding a 5th Mario character that isn't Rosalina and Luma tier creatively seems like something of the lowest priority. At the same time, Toad's been a character I've silently supported in most situations for one reason only. In all of the Smash games, there has never been a character who revolved entirely around grapples, lifts, holds and throws. There have been numerous characters who incorporated one of each move into their move set, but never has there been a true grappler or judo styled character represented in this franchise.

In comes Toad to give the option should anyone decide to put the pieces together. In every playable game that Toad has been a playable character in, he has been depicted as an impossibly fast and tiny character who doesn't have the greatest jumps but consistently gets depicted as the "power lifter" among the Big 4 (5 in a post Rosalina world). The only games where this hasn't held true re the New! Super Mario Bros. games wherein character specific abilities were downplayed overall. At the same time, new power ups such as the suits have come along with no Mario character current or new utilizing them for their own move sets.

I feel as though a move set that incorporates the various loose articles regarding the character while emphasizing the attributes most commonly demonstrated or fondly remembered could result in a very unique character in the Project M roster, even if it is attached to a character of a franchise considered "well represented". As such, here's my own example based off of an older idea I worked on elsewhere:

Toad

As one of the most recurring faces of the Mario world and Nintendo in general, THE Toad has been clamoring to be more than just a part of Peach's menagerie since Super Smash Bros. Melee. As such, my inspiration for his moves come from a evolution of his Super Mario Bros. 2 USA style with nods to the suits he (and the Mario Bros.) used in both of the New! Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario 3D Land/World. The mixture of his superior lifting speed, sprinting ability & unreal upper body strength make him a prime candidate for the one type of fighter that the Smash roster, as diverse as it is, has always needed; the judo/grappler.

A Button: Jab/Jab Combo: Press the A Button once to jab. Toad jabs his arm out for an open palm type strike. Pressing the button again will follow up with a similar strike from the other arm. The last strike is an upward strike using the bottom of his palm to lightly "pop" his opponent upward.

Up Tilt: Toad does a headbutt that launches upward for juggles.

Forward Tilt: Tilt the control stick forward and press A to have Toad do an open palm jab with a slightly longer reach, greater knock back, and somewhat higher damage than the standard jabs.

Down Tilt: Toad slinks down and pokes his foot outward (think Dedede's down tilt). Has a long active duration and can cause trips.

Forward Smash: Tanooki's Tail: Toad slaps the opponent in front of himself with his tail.

Down Smash: Statue Stomp: Toad does a short hop into the air while in Tanooki suit form before slamming down as a statue generating a shock wave similar to Charizard's down smash.

Up Smash: Tanooki's Tail Upward: Toad performs a flip an swats a character upward with his tail in a manner similar to Fox's up smash.

Nair: Toad does a spin with arms extended similar to Peach's nair. This version does multiple hits however.
Uair: Toad headbutts a character further upward.
Fair: Toad playfully slaps his hands downwards on an opponent as if he were playing Leapfrog for a spike.
Bair: ???
Dair: Toad comes straight downward spinning out of the air similar to the spinning drill ability of the Propeller Suit from NSMBWii. Can bounce off of an opponent's head when it connects similar to P:M Zero Suit Samus' stomps.

Grab: Toad grabs and looks at his opponent awkwardly ("Gee, should I have done that?")
Up throw: Toad lays back and juggles the opponent with his feet before kicking them straight upward.
Back throw: Toad throws the opponent under and behind himself.
Forward throw: Toad lifts them over his head complete with the SMB2USA sound clip. Toad can move with them in hand and is actually slightly faster now but falls like a rock when attempting a jump. Players can break free of this however. When tossed, the SMB2USA sound clip for a tossed item plays.
Down throw: Toad throws them flat on the ground before jumping on top and away from them. This grounds them in front of him.

Standard B: Freeze Ball: The only projectile move in his arsenal, this move derives itself from New! Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toad shoots a single bouncing ball of ice from his palm. It bounces only once before melting away. It hits slightly harder that Mario & Luigi's fireballs and has a slight chance of temporarily freezing the opponent. The rate of fire is much lower that the Mario Bros. however. (less than half of Mario's in vanilla Brawl).

Forward B: Cat Pounce! (Reversal): When holding the control stick forward and pressing B, Toad dons the attributes of the Cat Suit before grabbing the opponent in front of himself swinging them under and hurling them overhead and forward in a lightning quick motion. This move also allows him to take control of an oncoming opponent's approach as Toad skillfully snatches them and hurls them back in the direction they approached. When timed right and sweet spotted, it can override the priority of an oncoming enemy attack, leading to some amazing grapple plays. Hurled opponents can also be used as heavy projectiles against others.

You can influence the angle at which the character will be thrown briefly by holding B before the final throw. Toad will hold the character for a quick instance until the angle is lined up, or the instance is over, at which he'll throw the character straight forward horizontal to the stage.

Tapping the control stick forward and pressing B changes the nature of this move into a more aggressive horizontal lunge forward where Toad jumps to about Mario height vertically in an attempt to bring his opponent down to the ground. After this, he then rolls and flings his opponent forward. It can also be used in midair for horizontal recovery or a suplex similar to Kirby's forward throw. Very useful for "Ganoncide" like trickery.

Up B: Tornado Toss: Using a propeller (similar to that of the propeller suit in NSMBWii) stored in his trademarked hat, Toad takes a mighty whirling jump straight upward into the air, snatching up any opponents nearby or within his whirlwind and upon reaching the apex of his jump, tosses them straight downward into the ground or off stage. (This can be Meteor Cancelled however.) After the jump, Toad will spin with his arms outward and float in the direction pressed for recovery.

Down B: "Droopy" Counter: Anyone who has watched the old school "Droopy The Dog" cartoons knows the drill with this one. Whenever an opponent strikes Toad with a close range attack after he assumes his defensive position, he will quickly reach out and grab his opponent and slam them into the ground behind him. For every rounded up 10% of damage the attack does, Toad will alternate slamming the offending opponent on the ground behind or in front of himself. After the last of these slams, he'll let go and the momentum shoots his opponent into the air. The only downside to this maneuver is that Toad, while he takes no knock back damage, will always take half the damage of the opponent's attack, so be careful with it! The move is also useless against projectile attacks.

Final Smash - Grab 'n' Go!: Toad turns super (dunno how this would be represented though) and picks up an extra burst of strength and agility in this Warioman like Final Smash. As he dashes about, he can pick up players he passes by pressing B and carry them on his head while moving at the same speed a la Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. He can also hurl them with unbelievable amounts of force by pressing B yet again. Toad will then jump a fair height and depending on the direction the control stick is tilted, he will toss them in said direction, with explosive results. You can also press down on the control stick and B when he isn't carrying anything to have him pluck either a Mega Veggie, POW Block, or Super Bombs (all larger than usual) out of the ground.

Mega Veggies have high knock back & do OK damage but typically only hit one character at a time, POW blocks do no damage but cause all characters on the ground to lose their footing for a second, and Super Bombs have massive a blast radius, deal heavy damage and cause tremendous knock back (or up), but are very rare to pull up.

Pros
+ Hits hard; moves fast.
+ Small form is hard to hit.
+ OK to good recovery.
+ Has monstrous OoS options
+ Final Smash is decent.

Cons
- Normals and tilts have a very small range
- Fast faller with low height jumps makes him easy to knock out and gimp.
- Most of his KOs come from his B special tosses and throws
- COMPLETELY vulnerable during his recoveries.

Concept combos:

Shield > Tornado Toss
Jab > Jab > Jab > Up Tilt > Tornado Toss
Counter > Up tilt > Up tilt > Cat Pounce (Tilt) > Wavedash > Jump > Cat Pounce (Smash B) for Toadcide
(Moderate damage) Fair > L Cancel > Tornado Toss > (if opponent doesn't tech or techs in place) dair [Foot] > dair [FOOT] > dair [FOOT DIVE]

Potential Taunts

- Pulls a key out of the ground and looks at it with shock before a Phanto mask swoops over his head and spooks him enough to make him drop it.
- Pulls up a tiny turnip & turns to the crowd mimicking it's expression.
- Pulls up a pixellated mushroom from SMB2 & lies back against it.
- Pulls up a potion bottle & summons a gag Sub-con door. Steps through it and has it fall over as he goes through it.
- Hat slides down his head, covering his face leading to him shivering in a frightened manner until he fixes it.

Potential Alts: Captain Toad, Toadsworth

If there's an issue regarding modeling all of this, you could get away with using the barest minimum necessary to convey what power Toad is using (cat ears and paws, tanooki suit ears and tail, propeller out of his hat for propeller suit). Olimar makes a good base for his height but at the same time, Diddy's side B is also a good starting point for the Cat Pounce shenanigans.

I don't blame anyone for feeling like the character would be pushing it or feeling as though "Toads" aren't distinctive enough for the role of playable character, but I would love it if someone was open minded and inspired enough to make something like this happen should the opportunity arise. Plus it'd be hilarious seeing this little guy power lift Bowser like nothing.

Bottom 5
Shadow, Tails & Knuckles: Sonic's enough. For real. While I'm certain that the PMBR would come up with great stuff for each of these guys, I'd like to see more of Nintendo's history represented than more of Sega's (and not even general Sega, just the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise). It's also nice to err on the side of safety regarding the use of third party likenesses.

Waluigi: The character just does nothing for me. No offense to people who want to see him happen though.

Krystal: Star Fox is great where it is, Krystal is pretty much representative of an era of decline in the franchise and the character just does nothing for me yet again.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Toad: Literally the first character that stood out in my mind for the top of the "middleweights". I know that there are a ton of people who will be opposed to this option though. For those who believe in getting the most out of our remaining spots in terms of both bringing under served properties forward or just getting the most out of franchise diversity, adding a 5th Mario character that isn't Rosalina and Luma tier creatively seems like something of the lowest priority. At the same time, Toad's been a character I've silently supported in most situations for one reason only. In all of the Smash games, there has never been a character who revolved entirely around grapples, lifts, holds and throws. There have been numerous characters who incorporated one of each move into their move set, but never has there been a true grappler or judo styled character represented in this franchise.

In comes Toad to give the option should anyone decide to put the pieces together. In every playable game that Toad has been a playable character in, he has been depicted as an impossibly fast and tiny character who doesn't have the greatest jumps but consistently gets depicted as the "power lifter" among the Big 4 (5 in a post Rosalina world). The only games where this hasn't held true re the New! Super Mario Bros. games wherein character specific abilities were downplayed overall. At the same time, new power ups such as the suits have come along with no Mario character current or new utilizing them for their own move sets.

I feel as though a move set that incorporates the various loose articles regarding the character while emphasizing the attributes most commonly demonstrated or fondly remembered could result in a very unique character in the Project M roster, even if it is attached to a character of a franchise considered "well represented". As such, here's my own example based off of an older idea I worked on elsewhere:

Toad

As one of the most recurring faces of the Mario world and Nintendo in general, THE Toad has been clamoring to be more than just a part of Peach's menagerie since Super Smash Bros. Melee. As such, my inspiration for his moves come from a evolution of his Super Mario Bros. 2 USA style with nods to the suits he (and the Mario Bros.) used in both of the New! Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario 3D Land/World. The mixture of his superior lifting speed, sprinting ability & unreal upper body strength make him a prime candidate for the one type of fighter that the Smash roster, as diverse as it is, has always needed; the judo/grappler.

A Button: Jab/Jab Combo: Press the A Button once to jab. Toad jabs his arm out for an open palm type strike. Pressing the button again will follow up with a similar strike from the other arm. The last strike is an upward strike using the bottom of his palm to lightly "pop" his opponent upward.

Up Tilt: Toad does a headbutt that launches upward for juggles.

Forward Tilt: Tilt the control stick forward and press A to have Toad do an open palm jab with a slightly longer reach, greater knock back, and somewhat higher damage than the standard jabs.

Down Tilt: Toad slinks down and pokes his foot outward (think Dedede's down tilt). Has a long active duration and can cause trips.

Forward Smash: Tanooki's Tail: Toad slaps the opponent in front of himself with his tail.

Down Smash: Statue Stomp: Toad does a short hop into the air while in Tanooki suit form before slamming down as a statue generating a shock wave similar to Charizard's down smash.

Up Smash: Tanooki's Tail Upward: Toad performs a flip an swats a character upward with his tail in a manner similar to Fox's up smash.

Nair: Toad does a spin with arms extended similar to Peach's nair. This version does multiple hits however.
Uair: Toad headbutts a character further upward.
Fair: Toad playfully slaps his hands downwards on an opponent as if he were playing Leapfrog for a spike.
Bair: ???
Dair: Toad comes straight downward spinning out of the air similar to the spinning drill ability of the Propeller Suit from NSMBWii. Can bounce off of an opponent's head when it connects similar to P:M Zero Suit Samus' stomps.

Grab: Toad grabs and looks at his opponent awkwardly ("Gee, should I have done that?")
Up throw: Toad lays back and juggles the opponent with his feet before kicking them straight upward.
Back throw: Toad throws the opponent under and behind himself.
Forward throw: Toad lifts them over his head complete with the SMB2USA sound clip. Toad can move with them in hand and is actually slightly faster now but falls like a rock when attempting a jump. Players can break free of this however. When tossed, the SMB2USA sound clip for a tossed item plays.
Down throw: Toad throws them flat on the ground before jumping on top and away from them. This grounds them in front of him.

Standard B: Freeze Ball: The only projectile move in his arsenal, this move derives itself from New! Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toad shoots a single bouncing ball of ice from his palm. It bounces only once before melting away. It hits slightly harder that Mario & Luigi's fireballs and has a slight chance of temporarily freezing the opponent. The rate of fire is much lower that the Mario Bros. however. (less than half of Mario's in vanilla Brawl).

Forward B: Cat Pounce! (Reversal): When holding the control stick forward and pressing B, Toad dons the attributes of the Cat Suit before grabbing the opponent in front of himself swinging them under and hurling them overhead and forward in a lightning quick motion. This move also allows him to take control of an oncoming opponent's approach as Toad skillfully snatches them and hurls them back in the direction they approached. When timed right and sweet spotted, it can override the priority of an oncoming enemy attack, leading to some amazing grapple plays. Hurled opponents can also be used as heavy projectiles against others.

You can influence the angle at which the character will be thrown briefly by holding B before the final throw. Toad will hold the character for a quick instance until the angle is lined up, or the instance is over, at which he'll throw the character straight forward horizontal to the stage.

Tapping the control stick forward and pressing B changes the nature of this move into a more aggressive horizontal lunge forward where Toad jumps to about Mario height vertically in an attempt to bring his opponent down to the ground. After this, he then rolls and flings his opponent forward. It can also be used in midair for horizontal recovery or a suplex similar to Kirby's back throw. Very useful for "Ganoncide" like trickery.

Up B: Tornado Toss: Using a propeller (similar to that of the propeller suit in NSMBWii) stored in his trademarked hat, Toad takes a mighty whirling jump straight upward into the air, snatching up any opponents nearby or within his whirlwind and upon reaching the apex of his jump, tosses them straight downward into the ground or off stage. (This can be Meteor Cancelled however.) After the jump, Toad will spin with his arms outward and float in the direction pressed for recovery.

Down B: "Droopy" Counter: Anyone who has watched the old school "Droopy The Dog" cartoons knows the drill with this one. Whenever an opponent strikes Toad with a close range attack after he assumes his defensive position, he will quickly reach out and grab his opponent and slam them into the ground behind him. For every rounded up 10% of damage the attack does, Toad will alternate slamming the offending opponent on the ground behind or in front of himself. After the last of these slams, he'll let go and the momentum shoots his opponent into the air. The only downside to this maneuver is that Toad, while he takes no knock back damage, will always take half the damage of the opponent's attack, so be careful with it! The move is also useless against projectile attacks.

Final Smash - Grab 'n' Go!: Toad turns super (dunno how this would be represented though) and picks up an extra burst of strength and agility in this Warioman like Final Smash. As he dashes about, he can pick up players he passes by pressing B and carry them on his head while moving at the same speed a la Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. He can also hurl them with unbelievable amounts of force by pressing B yet again. Toad will then jump a fair height and depending on the direction the control stick is tilted, he will toss them in said direction, with explosive results. You can also press down on the control stick and B when he isn't carrying anything to have him pluck either a Mega Veggie, POW Block, or Super Bombs (all larger than usual) out of the ground.

Mega Veggies have high knock back & do OK damage but typically only hit one character at a time, POW blocks do no damage but cause all characters on the ground to lose their footing for a second, and Super Bombs have massive a blast radius, deal heavy damage and cause tremendous knock back (or up), but are very rare to pull up.

Pros
+ Hits hard; moves fast.
+ Small form is hard to hit.
+ OK to good recovery.
+ Has monstrous OoS options
+ Final Smash is decent.

Cons
- Normals and tilts have a very small range
- Fast faller with low height jumps makes him easy to knock out and gimp.
- Most of his KOs come from his B special tosses and throws
- COMPLETELY vulnerable during his recoveries.

Concept combos:

Shield > Tornado Toss
Jab > Jab > Jab > Up Tilt > Tornado Toss
Counter > Up tilt > Up tilt > Cat Pounce (Tilt) > Wavedash > Jump > Cat Pounce (Smash B) for Toadcide
(Moderate damage) Fair > L Cancel > Tornado Toss > (if opponent doesn't tech or techs in place) dair [Foot] > dair [FOOT] > dair [FOOT DIVE]

Potential Taunts

- Pulls a key out of the ground and looks at it with shock before a Phanto mask swoops over his head and spooks him enough to make him drop it.
- Pulls up a tiny turnip & turns to the crowd mimicking it's expression.
- Pulls up a pixellated mushroom from SMB2 & lies back against it.
- Pulls up a potion bottle & summons a gag Sub-con door. Steps through it and has it fall over as he goes through it.
- Hat slides down his head, covering his face leading to him shivering in a frightened manner until he fixes it.

Potential Alts: Captain Toad, Toadsworth

If there's an issue regarding modeling all of this, you could get away with using the barest minimum necessary to convey what power Toad is using (cat ears and paws, tanooki suit ears and tail, propeller out of his hat for propeller suit). Olimar makes a good base for his height but at the same time, Diddy's side B is also a good starting point for the Cat Pounce shenanigans.

I don't blame anyone for feeling like the character would be pushing it or feeling as though "Toads" aren't distinctive enough for the role of playable character, but I would love it if someone was open minded and inspired enough to make something like this happen should the opportunity arise. Plus it'd be hilarious seeing this little guy power lift Bowser like nothing.

My original idea (the one linked in Toad's section of the OP) was to make Toad a Mario clone. But your idea blew mine out of the water.

Still, that's if Toad ends up being unique. Either my idea or your idea would, in my opionion, be equally a blast to play.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I see Dark Samus as being the "get in your face real quick and annoy the living **** out of you" type of character. Like I said a million times, she/it would need a quick teleport move à la Mewtwo, but have less projectiles than Samus and be more combo-oriented. Being a fast-faller would also work better.

I'm sorry I can't come up with a moveset.
Wouldn't she have more projectiles than Samus?
In the Prime games she never really uses physical attacks but lots and lots of projectiles.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
+1/2 Balloon Fighter

Also, I mentioned this awhile back, hopefully someone has some info about the possibility of:

A RANDOM CHAR, like Mokujin/Charade/Kenny style character that changes movesets each stock. The way I see it, it could pick a random char and reskin it, say, with Sandbag or maybe Boo (he steals stuff in Mariokart lol) or Togepi, perhaps even Wireframe Fighter from Melee (or it's equivalent in Brawl, if they have one) .

This would give you potentially funny hitboxes, difficult-to-predict moves and maybe even something like muffled sounds, but would still present a challenge for the player to identify which character they were playing with. It would give the game a troll character as well, because when someone beats you with Mokujin et al, they're letting you know they are good enough with ANY character to kick yer ass. This, I love.

Not sure if it's possible. I think I remember a specific "challenge" or something that had just random chars picked to fight you—maybe that could be stolen from and turned into a char?

I wonder if I'm the only one who feels like it would be worth investigating... I mean, who wouldn't want to pilot this guy?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
There's no real reason a character created that was accepted by most of the community would not be allowed. No one said we have to adhere to only the characters in the mod, there just really arent any psas that are good enough.
There's no real reason a character created that was accepted by most of the community would not be allowed. No one said we have to adhere to only the characters in the mod
There's no real reason a character created that was accepted by most of the community would not be allowed.

>There are people right now that believe this.
>There are people right now that think they can add their own mods to the main mod without consulting the creators first because of pure fan support.
>There are people right now that think that many TO's would bring unofficial characters into a tournament.
>There are people right now that think that ANYONE would be able to make a character that fits the PMBR standard without actually consulting the PMBR.

You're literally saying that anyone has the right to add anything to this mod if the community supports it and it's well made.
That is NOT how a mod works. Only the creators get to decide what is apart of their official release.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Wouldn't she have more projectiles than Samus?
In the Prime games she never really uses physical attacks but lots and lots of projectiles.
While I haven't actually played Prime 2 and 3, I think that Project M already has its fair share of projectile spammers with Link, Tink and Samus. Those 3 are already frowned upon by many, so adding another one would not be warmly welcomed. That's why I said that she/it could have less projectiles than Samus. Also, its attacks don't necessarily need to be extra-physical. Instead, they could have more extended hitboxes (think Samus' current moveset, but with farther reach on some moves). This is only my idea of how Dark Samus would work best. I still would rather having Ridley instead though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
While I haven't actually played Prime 2 and 3, I think that Project M already has its fair share of projectile spammers with Link, Tink and Samus. Those 3 are already frowned upon by many, so adding another one would not be warmly welcomed. That's why I said that she/it could have less projectiles than Samus. Also, its attacks don't necessarily need to be extra-physical. Instead, they could have more extended hitboxes (think Samus' current moveset, but with farther reach on some moves). This is only my idea of how Dark Samus would work best. I still would rather having Ridley instead though.
I honestly don't agree with the underlined statement. I've never struggled that badly with projectile spam from any of those three enough to dislike fighting them, nor have any of my friends playing against them. And I know the point is that you are expressing distaste in projectile heavy characters, but we shouldn't rule them out just "bcuz spam". Spam is going to exist no matter what character you play against. It is just a matter of knowing how to deal with that situation. Power Shielding, characters with reflect moves, super armor, counters, or you know....dodging, are all options to use against spam.

That being said, I think the projectile heavy character spot should be saved for Ray rather than Dark Samus. Ridley deserves the spot as a Metroid rep more than Dark Samus anyways, as I'm sure you agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom