• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
+1
Pichu: I would love to play as someone this interesting. I would love to see how they would make Pichu fit into smash while not being junk, and I love gimmicky things.
Ridley: I think the Metroid series deserves more love (even though I personally don't love it). Ridley is an awesome looking character, and they could make him a semi-clone of Charizard making him easy to. :D
Dark Samus: *see ridley* with the clone being Samus
Sukapon: I would love having more retro characters in smash! I love his design and possibilities. I would also love how he would play.
Kamek: Now, this is an odd one... I just love the character. I love his looks, His personality, his skills, and just him as a whole. I would love seeing him in smash with all of the possibilities, and I would love seeing the Yoshi series getting more love.

+1/2
Excitebiker, Toon Zelda, Isaac, and King K. Rool

Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles: I very much dislike the idea of having more third party characters in the game, let alone ones that already have series representation.
Black Shadow/Declone Ganondorf: I don't want them to totally change Ganondorf's moveset just to past it on another character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still think the Pokémon Trainer would be weird as **** if playable on his own.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
(MOVED POST from last page)

So far here's what I got for each of my +1 votes.

-Samurai Goroh (Captain Falcon)
He would be almost as fast as Captain Falcon in running speed (still much faster than Gdorf), but a bit slower to attack (again, still faster than Gdorf). Overall, just a bit stronger/heavier than Falcon, and has several katana attacks which while they come out fast, they have a little cooling down to do. He's not a very good jumper though.

-Saki Amamiya (Pit)
He would be faster than Pit, around the same weight if not lighter, but has no multijumps/glide. His B neutral, instead of holding to fire, fires rapidly (with the option to aim up as well, like Pit), Saki's projectiles wouldn't flinch. And his B+Tilt would be like Pit's vanilla B+Tilt except it strikes only ONCE instead of looping endlessly.

-Pokemon Trainer (Ness)
He would be obviously taller and faster.
His Up+B could be Piplup's Waterfall (a rising tackle which causes watery damage).
His B+Tilt could be a single Razor Leaf from Chikorita which travels twice as long as Ivy's.
His B+Down could be Torchic´s Fire Spin, with the same reach as PK Magnet, except it causes fire damage before depleting).
B+neutral could have Pichu´s Thunder Wave being a faster version of PK Pulse which instead of causing high damage, it causes minimal damage, and STUNS.
Items like the yoyo or baseball bat could be tweaked to become the fishing rod with a sweetspot Magikarp attatched at the end.

-Pichu (Pikachu)
If P.T. idea isn't too popular (not sure why, he's in the BRAWL COVER, a main character, and one of Pokemon's most popular characters), at least bring back Pichu. The roster just wouldn't be feel like a fusion of Melee and Brawl without it.
He´d play exactly like Melee Pichu, except electric attacks do more knockback. Some of them can lead to DAZE or STUN status effects.

-Sukapon (Sonic)
Sukapon would be a SLOW Sonic clone, but with tremendous reach, making him a mid-range fighter.
In Joy Mech Fight, Sukapon used at least two variants of rolling attacks, which is why Sonic is perfect to clone from.
I'm not sure if there's a way to tweak Sonic's SPRING into Tilt B, and causing it to travel horizontally instead of vertically, that way Sukapon would gain his projectile attack (that involves throwing his head) His recovery could be a rising spinning attack (perhaps using B-Tilt but aiming high).

For the time being, I've ignored Final Smashes.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
(MOVED POST from last page)

So far here's what I got for each of my +1 votes.

-Samurai Goroh (Captain Falcon)
He would be almost as fast as Captain Falcon in running speed (still much faster than Gdorf), but a bit slower to attack (again, still faster than Gdorf). Overall, just a bit stronger/heavier than Falcon, and has several katana attacks which while they come out fast, they have a little cooling down to do. He's not a very good jumper though.

-Saki Amamiya (Pit)
He would be faster than Pit, around the same weight if not lighter, but has no multijumps/glide. His B neutral, instead of holding to fire, fires rapidly (with the option to aim up as well, like Pit), Saki's projectiles wouldn't flinch. And his B+Tilt would be like Pit's vanilla B+Tilt except it strikes only ONCE instead of looping endlessly.

-Pokemon Trainer (Ness)
He would be obviously taller and faster.
His Up+B could be Piplup's Waterfall (a rising tackle which causes watery damage).
His B+Tilt could be a single Razor Leaf from Chikorita which travels twice as long as Ivy's.
His B+Down could be Torchic´s Fire Spin, with the same reach as PK Magnet, except it causes fire damage before depleting).
B+neutral could have Pichu´s Thunder Wave being a faster version of PK Pulse which instead of causing high damage, it causes minimal damage, and STUNS.
Items like the yoyo or baseball bat could be tweaked to become the fishing rod with a sweetspot Magikarp attatched at the end.

-Pichu (Pikachu)
If P.T. idea isn't too popular (not sure why, he's in the BRAWL COVER, a main character, and one of Pokemon's most popular characters), at least bring back Pichu. The roster just wouldn't be feel like a fusion of Melee and Brawl without it.
He´d play exactly like Melee Pichu, except electric attacks do more knockback. Some of them can lead to DAZE or STUN status effects.

-Sukapon (Sonic)
Sukapon would be a SLOW Sonic clone, but with tremendous reach, making him a mid-range fighter.
In Joy Mech Fight, Sukapon used at least two variants of rolling attacks, which is why Sonic is perfect to clone from.
I'm not sure if there's a way to tweak Sonic's SPRING into Tilt B, and causing it to travel horizontally instead of vertically, that way Sukapon would gain his projectile attack (that involves throwing his head) His recovery could be a rising spinning attack (perhaps using B-Tilt but aiming high).

For the time being, I've ignored Final Smashes.

Excellent, this is how you should be presenting "movesets"-- just a general concept and key differences. :p

I can agree with all of them except PT. How would make those B moves without spawning a Pokemon? And the problem is, I don't think spawning a Pokemon for those moves is time efficient or possible to animate.

For Pichu, I'd think he needs some kind of aura-like system too where he would do more damage with his electric attacks the more damaged he is. Kind of like an overloaded system. That way he would generally use his physical attacks early on, but then transition into more potent, but self-damaging electric attacks later on when he's too far gone anyways.

Sukapon over Sonic is an interesting idea, although I think his B moves should be altered from Sonic's -- none of them really match. Also another problem is that one of his signature moves is a projectile (throwing a fake version of his head), but as far as I know, Sonic has no projectiles to work with. Also, Sukapon's rolling is different than Sonic's. Sonic is rolled along his axis. Sukapon rolls along the plane of his body. I don't think the animations will transfer. I still think Luigi or another middle-sized character with a projectile would make the best base for him. Maybe Diddy Kong, because he has the same kind of roll, although his body posture is not a good base.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I say they should bring back Pichu and Yong link then stop there. Unless they can make some of the Smash bros 4 new characters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
No young link since we already got toon link.

And pokemon trainer shouldn't go over ness. I personally think he's a better snake clone, minus the explosives and weapons.

Unless somehow being a ness clone would work even though they have really different skelitons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why Young Link? We already have Toon Link, and Young Link should be nothing more than an alternative costume for him. As this actually makes sence, unlike with Pichu and the significantly larger Pikachu. Why not make a Raichu alternative costume for him and see how this fits? :/ Note: It doesn't.

I am all for a Young Link alternative for Toon Link with Melee-like bomb explosions, Boomerang and Lon Lon Milk taunt. Keep in mind that Toon Link's PM character was hugely inspired by Young Link anyway. Read about that here: http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/toon-link . And seriously, read.

Since we are talking movesets, here's Dixie just for the hell of it:

Dixie Kong:

B: Bubblegum Popgun. Animation much like Diddy's, yet the Bubblegum projectiles are a little smaller than Diddy's Peanuts, and travel a little slower. Does less damage and knockback, but could slow down characters slightly on impact.
Side B: Monkey Flip. Just Diddy's attack.
Up B: Helicopter Spin. Charge-up time like Diddy's Rocket Barrel but less freedom of movement. Sends Dixie up higher than Diddy would, but she flies slower than Diddy. Also becomes a little more floaty while preforming the move. Only her hair does any damage and knockback during the move, and it's minimal.
Down B:

-Dixie should / would play as a less risky Diddy. She has more range with her hair-based attacks, but she's floatier, a little lighter and slower (not too noticable). She has more problems with finishing than Diddy (please buff Diddy in this to make it work), but her lighter weight and floatiness makes her far less prone to combo's.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Because I don't agree with all original characters in PM. I think they should have been at least playable in other Smash titles. Also Toon Link is lame. He is not enough like Young Link. I think they should just make Toon Link more like his Brawl Self or something.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
what about :pt:?

technically he was playable. (however project M version probably have him fight not Charizard and the others)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Because I don't agree with all original characters in PM. I think they should have been at least playable in other Smash titles. Also Toon Link is lame. He is not enough like Young Link. I think they should just make Toon Link more like his Brawl Self or something.

They already brought back Roy and Mewtwo. And Dr. Mario is mixed in with Mario as well as having a costume. They've already got most of the previously playable characters except for Young Link (and they have Toon Link now) and Pichu.

If you don't want completely original characters, they can still make clones of current characters, like the ones in Melee.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Excellent, this is how you should be presenting "movesets"-- just a general concept and key differences. :p

I can agree with all of them except PT. How would make those B moves without spawning a Pokemon? And the problem is, I don't think spawning a Pokemon for those moves is time efficient or possible to animate.

For Pichu, I'd think he needs some kind of aura-like system too where he would do more damage with his electric attacks the more damaged he is. Kind of like an overloaded system. That way he would generally use his physical attacks early on, but then transition into more potent, but self-damaging electric attacks later on when he's too far gone anyways.

Sukapon over Sonic is an interesting idea, although I think his B moves should be altered from Sonic's -- none of them really match. Also another problem is that one of his signature moves is a projectile (throwing a fake version of his head), but as far as I know, Sonic has no projectiles to work with. Also, Sukapon's rolling is different than Sonic's. Sonic is rolled along his axis. Sukapon rolls along the plane of his body. I don't think the animations will transfer. I still think Luigi or another middle-sized character with a projectile would make the best base for him. Maybe Diddy Kong, because he has the same kind of roll, although his body posture is not a good base.
Thanks!

On PT: Not sure how animation is handled, but the idea was for the special attacks to spawn a pokemon in between red light flashes (coming in and out of their pokeballs). If maybe 3D renders is a bit too much, why not go the SSB64 way and use 2D pre-renders? I get it if it won't look too professional, though. Just throwing an idea there.

On Sukapon, I was asking if by any chance Sonic's UP+B could be tweaked in a way that the spring travels horizontally instead of falling. Because the speed at which the spring travels, is pretty much the same as Sukapon's head projectile.
If Sonic is too much to work from, then perhaps Yoshi (egg throw, and egg roll), but not sure on the skeletal structure there, and the fact that Yoshi has tiny hands could get in the way.
Again just some ideas. :D

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Here's my +1 votes. I didn't put too much thought into the move sets, but I'll provide inspirations that would work for ground normals, air normals, his b moves, and then a specific Up B, as recovery is a huge thing in this game. At least for my top 3

1. Skapon
Unexpected, but fairly iconic look to him, plus the fact we might not see another thing like him in SSB4 won me over. Could probably port Sonic's ground normals over, disjoint some of the hit boxes to give him better range, slower move speed, and then give him Mario's air normals. As for his b moves, he can either rip them from C. Falcon, or be originated from his own game series. Up B would work similar to Wario's, except only his feet/hands spin and not his torso.

2. Isaac
Marth + psychic powers? Yes please. Give him a short sword with Marths ground normals and Tinks air normals. Dair should semi spike at the bottom for the first 30 frames. B moves should be his psychic abilities, either ripped from Mewtwo or created. Neutral B can be like Lucas' and power up B moves with stronger psyonic energy, and Up B can be like Ganondorfs, where the grab sends enemies at a steep angle but low KB, and at the end he flicks his sword up, hittting a bit harder than the final hit on Link Up-B.

3. Ridley
Should've been in the game in the first place. Seriously no Metroid love from Sakurai. Needs Bowser ground normals, minus the forward tilt which should be similar to Mewtwo's. Charizard air normals fit him best. I think Wario B moves could fit him in concept, but not animation and minus down b. A side b charge, a normal-b bite. Down b can be some type of stomp move that's similar to DK ground pound. Up B is Charizards again.

4. Tom Nook
Didn't care much for AC, but the Villager's concept in SSB4 looks good, so something similar here would be nice. I know it would be difficult to implement the Villager's moveset when we don't even know 1/3 of it, but some of it's concepts like the Balloon Fighter up-B recovery, the Pick up move that can steal and reuse everything, the d-smash shovel that grounds enemies, and the dropping bowling ball moves seems to be what I would define the character as right now. If that's too complicated fine, but something of an homage to that moveset would be cool.

5. Claus
I just simply think he looks cool. Pure and simple. Make him a clone if you have to. Just one request, not another damn PK Thunder up B. They always end up working terribly. Just give him an up B similar to Pikachu's, except it doesn't start up as slow, but gives less distance. The rest of him can work like a combo of Ness and Lucas.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
On PT: Not sure how animation is handled, but the idea was for the special attacks to spawn a pokemon in between red light flashes (coming in and out of their pokeballs). If maybe 3D renders is a bit too much, why not go the SSB64 way and use 2D pre-renders? I get it if it won't look too professional, though. Just throwing an idea there.
Maybe they could have that as one special instead of all his specials?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do people even know what sort of psychic powers Isaac have? :/ The hell is with everyone saying he should have Mewtwo's attacks?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Do people even know what sort of psychic powers Isaac have? :/ The hell is with everyone saying he should have Mewtwo's attacks?

I don't know that much about him, but I know he uses psychic attacks as well as elements. He should be like an earth and fire bender.. and air and water bender.. So he should basically be the avatar with psychic powers and a sword lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know that much about him, but I know he uses psychic attacks as well as elements. He should be like an earth and fire bender.. and air and water bender.. So he should basically be the avatar with psychic powers and a sword lol

By himself, he can only really use the Earth element though. Other elements are only accesable via Djinni, sort of Pokémon-like genies who can be unleashed in battle. They increase your rank and stats to. And they can be used to Summon greater genies, which are all mostly based on Greek Gods and do ****tons of damage.

Check Isaac's Psynergy moves here (his psychic elemental powers) :

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Ness and Lucas use their party member's attacks. Its not unheard of to use attacks that don't belong to you in Smash,

Yes that's true. However, I think focussing most on Isaac's Earth abilities makes him all the more unique.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ok so has anyone talked about what could be done with Masked Man voices? because a good idea would be giving him Lucas' voices but with a slightly lower pitch, its something similar with Mario and Luigi voices in SSB64/Melee

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Masked Man was pretty much silent during the whole of Mother 3. Why should he even have a voice? Otherwise, yeah Lucas' voice but darker could work I guess.

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
A bit curious, so K. Rool is considered a good candidate? Im just wondering, as Im not too sure if Rare is involved with the character at all anymore or not. I guess he is a trophy in the games.
Just curious as I dont think Banjo and Kazooie are being considered for a clone engine character right?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A bit curious, so K. Rool is considered a good candidate? Im just wondering, as Im not too sure if Rare is involved with the character at all anymore or not. I guess he is a trophy in the games.
Just curious as I dont think Banjo and Kazooie are being considered for a clone engine character right?

See the Nintendo DS logo?

The Nintendo DS was created far after Rare's leave from Nintendo.

Make your conclusion from this.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
To be less pedantic than Diddy, everything about DK is owned by Nintendo. Rare owns absolutely nothing from DK.

However they do own Banjo and Kazooie, and as they didn't show up in Brawl, at all, they're not eligible for the Clone Engine, and will sadly probably never be in a Smash game. =/

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon Trainer doesn't count and no one wants any more clones asides from the melee ones, that would be terrible. I think they should Just rework Toon Link into a Toon Link from brawl and Smash 64 Link hybrid, then Just bring Young Link and Pichu back. Hell I wouldn't care if they like changed Young Links arrows into his sling shot and his bombs into his bombchus. Just as long as they bring him back. Then that would make him more unique. Then I think they should stop there and reserve the other clone spots for a few Smash 4 characters that fit the criteria and stipulations set by the PMBR. I would just hate PM to otherwise be contaminated with "PM Original Characters"

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
To be less pedantic than Diddy, everything about DK is owned by Nintendo. Rare owns absolutely nothing from DK.

However they do own Banjo and Kazooie, and as they didn't show up in Brawl, at all, they're not eligible for the Clone Engine, and will sadly probably never be in a Smash game. =/
Ah thanks. I was always under the impression that Rare owned K. Rool for some reason (forgot he was even a trophy).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, let's add Young Link back again.

You know who also would be cool? Classic Link.

And Oracles Link.

Link to the Past-Link to of course!

And, Masked Link from the 2nd timeline from Majora's Mask.

Then maybe afterwards, there's also room for Wolf Link, Goron Link, Zora Link, Dark Link, 2D Link, Zero Suit Link, Captain Linkcon, Linky Kong and MetaLink?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Pokemon Trainer doesn't count and no one wants any more clones asides from the melee ones, that would be terrible. I think they should Just rework Toon Link into a Toon Link from brawl and Smash 64 Link hybrid, then Just bring Young Link and Pichu back. Hell I wouldn't care if they like changed Young Links arrows into his sling shot and his bombs into his bombchus. Just as long as they bring him back. Then that would make him more unique. Then I think they should stop there and reserve the other clone spots for a few Smash 4 characters that fit the criteria and stipulations set by the PMBR. I would just hate PM to otherwise be contaminated with "PM Original Characters"
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/clone-engine-blogpost-limits-restrictions-and-possibilities

They're not bringing anyone from Smash 4. And lots of people want other characters, so your "no one" is not only generalized but very incorrect.

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, gonna respond to RomeDogg (post added as I was making mine).

I dont think the PMBR are going to add any newcomers from SSB4.
Though, I also would like to see young link return. Link has tons of other items he could use that would make for interesting gameplay.
Toon Link wont get an alternate costume for young link (he already has Outset Link). Plus, Toon Link feels wayyy too different from Young Link for me to feel satisfied as a young link replacement (young link main in melee).

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Sorry for the double post, gonna respond to RomeDogg (post added as I was making mine).

I dont think the PMBR are going to add any newcomers from SSB4.
Though, I also would like to see young link return. Link has tons of other items he could use that would make for interesting gameplay.
Toon Link wont get an alternate costume for young link (he already has Outset Link). Plus, Toon Link feels wayyy too different from Young Link for me to feel satisfied as a young link replacement (young link main in melee).
As another Young Link main, I love how Toon Link plays. I realize now I'm in the minority, though. However, having three Links on the roster is a little...much, I think.

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
As another Young Link main, I love how Toon Link plays. I realize now I'm in the minority, though. However, having three Links on the roster is a little...much, I think.
Yeah I suppose. I just feel like Toon Link should really be separate from just being a bunch of different Link versions in one (still feels to awkward), as I think Toon Link could have a real interesting moveset that differs from the usual Bomb, Arrows, Boomerang, and Spin Attack Links.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah I suppose. I just feel like Toon Link should really be separate from just being a bunch of different Link versions in one (still feels to awkward), as I think Toon Link could have a real interesting moveset that differs from the usual Bomb, Arrows, Boomerang, and Spin Attack Links.
That's why I support Tetra for the Clone Engine--she could use items that Toon Link had in WW but doesn't use in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So was Ness and Lucas.

But they where silent protagonists, much like Link.

Villains often talk so much that you´ll hate them no mather what. Masked Man was not like this. He literally didn´t say a fricking word.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Again, my +1's:
Sukapon
Waluigi
Ridley
King K. Rool
+1/2
Pig Ganon
Paper Mario

No longer addled by hype, I can accept that Wario's animations could not almost certainly not be simply reproportioned for Waluigi, and with both a command grab and complicated projectile Waluigi would be a pain to program. Hence, my vote is basically just symbolic.
I won't waste my finger-breath now on how cool he is as an idea, but I might come back to this post later if I get bored.
Cheers.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
But they where silent protagonists, much like Link.

Villains often talk so much that you´ll hate them no mather what. Masked Man was not like this. He literally didn´t say a fricking word.
I know they where silent, but i was refering to the fact that in Smash Bros they gave them voices, so having a completely mute Masked Man will be weird.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
By himself, he can only really use the Earth element though. Other elements are only accesable via Djinni, sort of Pokémon-like genies who can be unleashed in battle. They increase your rank and stats to. And they can be used to Summon greater genies, which are all mostly based on Greek Gods and do ****tons of damage.

Check Isaac's Psynergy moves here (his psychic elemental powers) :

Hm okay then he can just use earth lol. He can be an earth bender with psychic powers and a sword :p

JOE!

Smash Hero
I like how people only post 4 out of the.... 25+ moves a character has and calls it a completed moveset

red9rd

Smash Ace
Ok so has anyone talked about what could be done with Masked Man voices? because a good idea would be giving him Lucas' voices but with a slightly lower pitch, its something similar with Mario and Luigi voices in SSB64/Melee
Yeah I thought we could use Lucas (at least his grunts) and use the sound effect of his attacks from Mother 3.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I like how people only post 4 out of the.... 25+ moves a character has and calls it a completed moveset

1) No one ever called anything a "completed moveset"

2) Doing a complete moveset is a waste of time. That's not the point of this thread. The point is to show if a character is viable, and if he/she has enough support behind that. The moveset doesn't matter because the PMBR makes the moveset. It's also a waste of time because we don't know if any of these characters would make it in, so it's a waste of effort. As I've been saying, what you need is a proof of concept, not a detailed moveset. Like my engineering analogy before, you don't go straight to a finished project and blueprints before even selling an idea to your contractor. People are already going overboard as it is, coming up with taunts and stuff for non-existent characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom