• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Classic Mode 9.0

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Hey guys I need major help!

Do you guys know any tips on completing classic mode on 9.0 difficulty and/or who to use?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Use defensive equipments.. it's my only tip from now... I did with Lucario in 8.0, but in 9.0 is another story

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually did it on my very first try today. Used the same build (though I think slightly updated) that I used for 9.0 on 3DS, just imported into Wii U:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Most important thing is to learn all of Master Hand/Core's moves. You don't want to make it to him and then **** up. Doesn't hurt to learn the obstacles of Master Fortress either, though it's a cakewalk for the most part. Just kill the flowers as quick as you can, and kill whatever spawns when you attack the cores. Try beating 8.0 first to get a feel for how it's done.

Once that's done, try to get into the fights with the fewest number of enemies. If you have to get into a 7-8 player match, play defensively. Stay away from the action, and attack when you get approached, or spam a projectile into the fray if you have it. You could get up close and personal, but it's riskier, especially when going for the not losing a life challenge.

For the Fighting Mii team, find the move you have that's best at OHKOing them, since most fighters have one (Bowser's dash attack, Mega Man's down tilt etc.) and just go to town.

As for Master Whatever, just learn how they move, and you should kick it's ass in no time.

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Just so you know, you won't get the "Cleared 9.0" challenge if you use custom equipment. Just play it a bunch and you'll beat it eventually :)

pmort

Smash Cadet
No death classic 9.0 is my final non-collectible challenge and I'm getting there, but still tough. I'm working with a custom build Ike with a focus on Attack (Legendary sword, Auto-heal sword, and King's cape to get my defense relatively back to normal). I gave him a Close Combat side special which is EXTREMELY useful in the Mii Battle and any characters who counter (particularly the clone fight at the end of Master Core); basically it's a side dash like his default but instead of ending with a slash it just goes through your enemies and knocks them upward. Instant Mii-killer.

I find the main thing I basically need to get down is Master Core's moves. The beast part I'm usually fine at, I'm "sort of" getting down the giant's moves (the hand grab thing gets me every f***ing time), but for some reason I manage to royally bomb the swords. I have no problem with the clone fight, that's comically easy with the Close Combat side special. And I can do Fortress with my eyes shut.

I've found the Vampire Badge is nearly useless in this mode. The one part I think it would've been helpful, Master Core, it only heals you 2% or so for each hit, regardless of the amount of damage you do. Might as well use Auto Heal.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
No death classic 9.0 is my final non-collectible challenge and I'm getting there, but still tough. I'm working with a custom build Ike with a focus on Attack (Legendary sword, Auto-heal sword, and King's cape to get my defense relatively back to normal). I gave him a Close Combat side special which is EXTREMELY useful in the Mii Battle and any characters who counter (particularly the clone fight at the end of Master Core); basically it's a side dash like his default but instead of ending with a slash it just goes through your enemies and knocks them upward. Instant Mii-killer.

I find the main thing I basically need to get down is Master Core's moves. The beast part I'm usually fine at, I'm "sort of" getting down the giant's moves (the hand grab thing gets me every f***ing time), but for some reason I manage to royally bomb the swords. I have no problem with the clone fight, that's comically easy with the Close Combat side special. And I can do Fortress with my eyes shut.

I've found the Vampire Badge is nearly useless in this mode. The one part I think it would've been helpful, Master Core, it only heals you 2% or so for each hit, regardless of the amount of damage you do. Might as well use Auto Heal.
I'm starting to think the same thing, but what does it take to get auto-heal equipment in this version? Do you have to import it from 3DS? I don't think I've seen a single piece that does that in my game, and I have well over 1500 pieces of equipment.

I just finally managed to beat Master Core on 8.0 with Mega Man. I had a vampire badge, and then his most powerful attack and defense badges on top of that. Metal Blade absolutely wrecks Master Core, and is useful against the Fortress as well. (I also found out that his alternate up-B tornado move is really good at KO'ing the fighting Miis.)

Also, is it just me, or is 9.0 way harder than 8.5? I tried 9.0 once and just got destroyed in the first two battles. A single hit seems to rack up 50% damage or more. I can get to the Core no problem on 8.5 but 9.0 was just ridiculous.

pmort

Smash Cadet
So four hours worth today and all I gotta say is **** this mode. Only once did I really have any chance and sure enough I got dunked on by Master Edges's out of nowhere swing. Were it not for that I'd have this BS done with. Most other attempts sees me losing a stock in an earlier match for an absurd reason; about 80% of the time one person getting all 3 dragoon pieces and always (ALWAYS) going after me, and the other times are from counter-people. To hell with the counter people. One swing on Shulk when I had 0%, and he countered and I went flying like I was at 200%. I pray I don't have to go up against counter people.

Ugh. Seriously switching over to Alien: Isolation's Hard mode playthrough right now to WIND DOWN. That's how infuriating this mode is.

If I can get past Edges it's smooth sailing, the clone and Fortress are nothing.

I'm starting to think the same thing, but what does it take to get auto-heal equipment in this version? Do you have to import it from 3DS? I don't think I've seen a single piece that does that in my game, and I have well over 1500 pieces of equipment.

I just finally managed to beat Master Core on 8.0 with Mega Man. I had a vampire badge, and then his most powerful attack and defense badges on top of that. Metal Blade absolutely wrecks Master Core, and is useful against the Fortress as well. (I also found out that his alternate up-B tornado move is really good at KO'ing the fighting Miis.)

Also, is it just me, or is 9.0 way harder than 8.5? I tried 9.0 once and just got destroyed in the first two battles. A single hit seems to rack up 50% damage or more. I can get to the Core no problem on 8.5 but 9.0 was just ridiculous.
I got an auto healer for Ike. I played a lot of Crazy Orders with him (Vamp badge is good here), so maybe I got something from there? Otherwise All Star Hard with him? I can't be sure, I don't remember when I picked it up.

8.5 is considerably easier than 9. If I lose both on 9 and asked to continue, I usually do just for a little extra practice even if it is easier, and I never have a problem beating that.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
Just so you know, you won't get the "Cleared 9.0" challenge if you use custom equipment. Just play it a bunch and you'll beat it eventually :)
Should point out that this one is hammerable (which I did because lmao good god). The no-death one that isn't hammerable allows customs.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So four hours worth today and all I gotta say is **** this mode. .
You and me both, man. I cannot WAIT to be done with these no-hammer challenges. I am never touching All-Star on Hard or Classic on 9.0 ever again once I get those done. I like a challenge, but there comes a point when it ceases to be any fun and just makes you want to beat the game developers to death with your controller.

pmort

Smash Cadet
You and me both, man. I cannot WAIT to be done with these no-hammer challenges. I am never touching All-Star on Hard or Classic on 9.0 ever again once I get those done. I like a challenge, but there comes a point when it ceases to be any fun and just makes you want to beat the game developers to death with your controller.
Thing is I don't think 9.0 is too bad on its own right. It's hard as hell, but I'm at the point where I can manage. It's the whole "Oh, you can't die at all" part that is driving me nuts.

At the least it does seem to be pretty good for items.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
This would be doable if I didn't keep getting stuck in 8-player "free-for-alls" where all 7 CPUs target ME. I can't even get away because there are so many of them! The challenge should've been to beat Master Core on 9.0 intensity without losing a single life because everything before that battle feels far too luck-based.

I like a challenge, but there comes a point when it ceases to be any fun and just makes you want to beat the game developers to death with your controller.
This. So much.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Thing is I don't think 9.0 is too bad on its own right. It's hard as hell, but I'm at the point where I can manage. It's the whole "Oh, you can't die at all" part that is driving me nuts.

At the least it does seem to be pretty good for items.
Welp, I spoke wayyyyyyy too soon. After feeling like I was improving yesterday, playing today it now seems like I got WORSE. Just kept getting smoked as Ike. Tried a strong as hell Ganondorf and though I lost a few stocks in earlier matches (1 each, finished at 9.0 still), those were barely knockouts. I feel if I had an auto heal with a souped up Ganondorf I'd stand a chance. I almost finished Master Core & Fortress without dying, was able to knock out each form in no time, got cheesed by the giant's head grab sound wave thing that sends you flying.

So, going to signal boost the "Where do you get Auto Heal stuff?" question, because I don't have that for Ganondorf and have no idea where I got it for Ike and really really need it.

So, where does one get auto heal stuff? Or what's the best approach towards doing so?

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure the equipment you obtain is completely random, so there's no strategy to unlock a specific type. The best way to get it is to just grind equipment until you get lucky, and I've heard that Crazy Orders is the most efficient mode for that. May the RNG gods smile on you today!

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This would be doable if I didn't keep getting stuck in 8-player "free-for-alls" where all 7 CPUs target ME. I can't even get away because there are so many of them! The challenge should've been to beat Master Core on 9.0 intensity without losing a single life because everything before that battle feels far too luck-based.
It really is. BUT. I had great luck with a custom Kirby earlier. I floated around and spammed Stone (similar to my Rival Smash strategy), and actually steamrolled my way to the boss without even coming close to dying on my first try. Then... the boss destroyed me. See my post in the "Classic 9.0 no life loss" thread.

This. So much.
You remember the *real* Super Mario Bros. 2? The game that wasn't released in the states because it was just sadistically difficult? I feel like this game is channeling THAT kind of design at times. Just making things arbitrarily difficult and requiring you to invest hours upon hours in order to have a hope of beating it. This and the All Star on Hard with Duck Hunt challenge are Lost Levels type challenges. Once I beat them, I will have ZERO interest in ever playing anything similar to them again.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure the equipment you obtain is completely random, so there's no strategy to unlock a specific type. The best way to get it is to just grind equipment until you get lucky, and I've heard that Crazy Orders is the most efficient mode for that. May the RNG gods smile on you today!
I get that it's random, but I feel like some modes are better for pickups than others. Crazy Orders wasn't helping much after several run throughs.

Polearm

Smash Rookie
I used Ness with critical hit, and over 0 defense and attack. I would post a video but I don't have my ten posts in yet unfortunatly...

Kalina Hitana

Smash Rookie
I'm having so much trouble with this too, I just don't know how I can do this. And since Greninja is pretty much my best character right now, I want to do this as him, so any helpful ideas would be appreciated

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I've actually managed to beat 9.0 with three different characters now. I used a custom Dedede with auto-heal and vampire (I think), and got it on the first try. Then I did it with a custom Kirby with vampire and buffed up attack after a few tries (gonna try for no deaths with this one I think). And then earlier tonight I set up a custom Bowser Jr. with vampire, and then the best attack badge and a reduced jump defense badge. That one also beat 9.0 on the first try with only 2 or 3 deaths I think. His hammer attack after his up-B just destroyed Master Edges so I got through that part fairly easily.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
All Star on Hard with Duck Hunt challenge are Lost Levels type challenges.
This challenge is not that hard. Took me about 3 or so tries. Might be because the duo is one of my top 5 fighters, but I had an easy enough time with it overall, though it was tense. You basically just have to use your projectile specials to rack up damage quickly, then a well timed Smash or a Dash Attack followed by an Up-Air will easily finish them off.

Kerokuu Kappa

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3539-8838-3028
For the finale, you should get rid of Master and Crazy Hand as quickly as you can, since I have trouble if they stay around.
You should also learn to read Master Core's moves.
And don't rush Fortress.

Top Bottom