• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters That Will Rise in Popularity After the Release of SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

Smash Ace
Are there any characters that you think will rise in popularity after the release of SSB4? I think that Toad will become more popular again, and Bowser Jr. will experience a spike as well. Ghirahim (if he isn't in this game) will decline, as will K. Rool (if he's not in the game).

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know, I have a feeling characters like Chrom, Shulk, Isaac would certainly see a surge in popularity, as they already have some initial appeal in such a precise audience. King K. Rool will be revitalized if he is selected, the developers of Donkey Kong would start to implement him once again, I suppose that also applies to characters like Little Mac and Takamaru (any retro/forgotten character).

I mean, everyone will rise in popularity once selected. Subsequently, every character that is anticipated, but not in Smash, will drop in popularity. There are some eternal characters that wouldn't really gain or lose popularity, like Ridley or Mewtwo.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think it's far too early to say.

The four newcomers we already have were pretty popular to begin with, although I guess the Wii Fit Trainer will be seen more as the face of Wii Fit to gamers than before. (who probably never associated a character with the series)

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I was thinking about this the other day.

I think Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Tom Nook, Black Mage, and some Kid Icarus character that isn't Palutena (possibly Medusa, Hades or Magnus) will become more widely considered candidates for Super Smash Bros 5. That is of course, if these characters do not make it into this version.

EDIT: Some explanations as to why, for each character:
Toad - Since Rosalina was added to Smash 4 because Super Mario Galaxy was the main Mario game of the Wii era, it may be a 'given' that Toad will be added to Smash 5 because Super Mario 3D World was the main Mario game of the Wii U era. I also think that Toad's fanbase will grow, as he may be given more and more roles in games after 3D World.

Dixie Kong - If Dixie isn't added to Smash 4, she will be the go-to character to satisfy peoples' yearning for more DK representation (assuming K. Rool is in). Sub point - Cranky will increase in popularity, but not too much so.

Bandanna Dee - Dee will get more roles in Kirby games, I just have a feeling. His fanbase will continuously grow until he is synonymous with the Kirby franchise and will be considered 'needed' to complete the cast of Kirby.

Tom Nook - Since Animal Crossing is hugely popular, fans will be practically begging for a second rep. The go-to character for that is Nook.

Black Mage - Assuming that Pac-man is in alongside Mega Man, all of the previously most requested third-party characters will be in - since Sonic and Mega Man are in the game. The next third party franchise that will likely be looked towards is Final Fantasy, leading fans to increasingly support Black Mage. I can honestly see Black Mage becoming a hugely popular pick, possibly in the top 10 of many 'most wanted' polls.

Hades/Medusa - People will widely agree that Kid Icarus deserves three reps (assuming Palutena is in Smash 4), and much like the state that the DK series is in now, they will be craving a villain.

I also think there will be increasingly more requests for Chibi-Robo, Lip, Saki, an Advance Wars character, or a Custom Robo character.

Finally, if any of Ridley, King K. Rool, Palutena, or Little Mac are not in Smash 4, they will be topping the 'most wanted newcomer' polls and will be considered long, long overdue.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I really don't see how characters that don't get in that weren't already in would decline in popularity.

Ghirahim is declining and has been declining since a little while after Skyward Sword. He's already been replaced with a new one-shot villain, Yuga, and he wasn't as unique as everyone seemed to think he was when the game first came out.

Any newcomers will rocket up in popularity, just as those before them did. If Ridley/K. Rool get left out again, their popularity will only raise even higher as the supporters get angrier and more vocal (myself not included, as, if Ridley doesn't get in this time, I don't think he's ever getting in). Everything else is pretty simple.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, so far, I think that most of the newcomers so far have had a resurge in popularity.

Villager and WFT, although interesting design choices, have become huge on the internet as memes or (in the latter's case) some highly disturbing/satisfying artwork.

Rosalina has ascended from major character in one game to new face for the Mario series. She's become a staple now. I believe now, she is technically considered a Mario All-Star, alongside Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Yoshi (If only Waluigi could rise to that position...), which means to now expect her in every spin-off, every merchandise, everything now has Rosalina, the new Mario "star".

Mega Man should rise from his grave. This should hopefully bring Mega Man back into the light, similar to Sonic's connections with Nintendo. I'm hoping this means Capcom will finally realize that Mega Man is their mascot and needs to be treated right, since his own father abandoned him because of their lack of respect.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Mega Man should rise from his grave. This should hopefully bring Mega Man back into the light, similar to Sonic's connections with Nintendo. I'm hoping this means Capcom will finally realize that Mega Man is their mascot and needs to be treated right, since his own father abandoned him because of their lack of respect.
Capcom probably won't even be able to afford to make a new Megaman game, even if they wanted to. :urg:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Any newcomers will rocket up in popularity, just as those before them did. If Ridley/K. Rool get left out again, their popularity will only raise even higher as the supporters get angrier and more vocal (myself not included, as, if Ridley doesn't get in this time, I don't think he's ever getting in). Everything else is pretty simple.
At least by then (pre-SSB6/7 speculation), there should be another new Metroid that probably won't be on Other M levels of controversy or divide Metroid/Ridley fans the way it did, and have a much better Ridley design if someone other than Team Ninja's doing it. K. Rool, I'm not sure on as far as getting any new material by that point, but nonetheless, I'm sure he'll still become more popular too if left out again this time.

And you're not the only one who thinks if Ridley doesn't get in this time then he never will. Not sure what I think yet far as that myself though. Guess it depends on the kind of direction taken for the future Smash and whether or not Sakurai's still doing it, etc.

As for the idea of Nintendo buying Capcom, lol! Just no.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
bandana dee, if he's not in this one and reoccurring in kirby games after smash 4.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Given Nintendo's position I don't really know if that would accomplish much.
People really throw Nintendo's financial position out of proportion. I hope everyone realizes that Nintendo is still absolutely ****ing rolling in cash. Pokemon's profits alone so far are more money than any of us could ever hope to see in our lifetimes. Behold, Johnknight1's amazing post in the "Will Smash 4 save the WiiU?" thread.

Nintendo isn't in trouble, and doesn't need saving.

They've got more cash on hand than Coca-Cola for Christ's sake (I checked the financial reports) and that's after they spent over 10 billion in cash on investments, which includes the 3DS XL (huge success), the 2DS (huge success), and the Wii U. The Wii U will move at least 10 million units this 2015 financial cycle for Nintendo, or for those not in the know, April 2014 to March 2015.

As for the "expectations cut", it's to protect the stock. I can't recall the company but a company recently was 2% under expected gains ("You can't go broke making more than you spend" as the old saying goes), and yet, the stock dropped 40%. Nintendo is protecting itself from that happening to their stock.

Honestly, if y'all wanna invest in a company, wait until after the end of March when Nintendo's financial statements go public. The wildebeests (or as I call them, stock brokers) will sell on Nintendo really low, and the people with brains will buy it, get Nintendo's nice dividends, and, oh yeah, watch the stock rise wayyyyyy up.

The Wii U is making a profit, Nintendo's making a profit, and unlike the Xbox brand (which has a net loss of around 3-5 billion dollars), Nintendo knows how to turn a profit because they have their crap down.

===

Before anyone tries to say "NO YOU'RE WRONG!!!" I'm studying to become an accountant, and I've read their financial statements for the past 5 years. Trust me, they're in fantastic shape. They got virtually no debt, tons of assets, loads of great short and long-term investment, and just under 9 billion in cash, despite only 28 billion or so in assets.

In other words, I'm not grabbing things from word press (who still uses that=???) "journalists" and calling their stuff "facts".

...how=??? I mean, sales-wise yes the PS4 started off great, but it literally has no quality games. GT6 pretty much ensures that Gran Turismo is no longer a blockbuster franchise. Kill Zone is Kill Zone, which means it sucks. The PS4 has no other exclusive games out. And if we start talking about inFamous Second Son, don't make me laugh. (Uncharted 4 will be boss though)

On top of that, anything could happen with Sony at this point. Their corporation may split up into multiple entities, and they've got a lot of issues. Oh, and the Vita is still a huge disappointment, and is losing them billions probably.

You could apply this to any of the consoles released this generation, sans the 3DS (which could have used about a year). The Wii U, PS4, X1, and especially the Vita had awful launch period libraries. Heck, I can't decide which was better: the X1 launch library or the wii U launch library. That's how bad it was!

Nintendo executives did this when the 3DS had issues. Look how that turned out.

This was an act to make the stockholders not vote for a CEO or push the CEO to fire employees by overreacting. Nintendo was posting profits, so honestly, doing such a thing would most likely be bad for business anyways.

Mario Kart Wii sold more copies than life.

No really, if Mario Kart 8 moves 1/4th as many copies, it will have been a resounding success (about 9 million copies). I don't find it coincidental that Mario Kart Wii's release period and Mario Kart 7's release period were like the biggest period of unit sold growth for both the Wii and 3DS. I expect the same of Mario Kart 8, although I do think Smash could likely top that.

LOL.
Oh, and-

If you look at the 3DS sales, it's fairly obvious that Nintendo is still rolling.
This guy, right here.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It is an interesting discussion in that regards, the fact that from a purely finanicial position they're perfectly fine, but yet there is alot of panic on the other hand when you hear about Nintendo constantly, it's actually quite confusing.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It is an interesting discussion in that regards, the fact that from a purely finanicial position they're perfectly fine, but yet there is alot of panic on the other hand when you hear about Nintendo constantly, it's actually quite confusing.
Don't let the masses get you too worked up, pal. Everyone loves to say that Nintendo is going out of business, or is doomed, or isn't making consoles anymore, etc. Never, ever believe it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just likes any other Smash games, anyone retro whether it's Taka, Dog, MC, or anyone else will have a surge of popularity. Ice Climbers, G&W, R.O.B., and Pit has their fair share of fans (though the last one had a revival recently).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Easy. Any Brawl veteran who were cut will suddenly become popular after SSB4 comes out because we want what we cannot have.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If King K. Rool does not make the cut, I see his popularity continuing on a steady dwindle as it has been over the years. His die-hard supporters will raise their voices and become even more vocal, but the longer the character goes without a major appearance, the more obscure he will become with Nintendo's mainstream audience. The kiddies on Miiverse aren't going to be asking for K. Rool on Miiverse 7 years from now, unless he gets in this time.

The same scenario will likely apply to most characters who are unlikely to make future appearances. Ghirahim is an example of this in action (as if Midna/Wolf Link/Zant weren't already the perfect example). Zoroark will probably never be heard from again unless it gets revitalized in a new marketing move by Game Freak sometime in the future. The slew of Fire Emblem Awakening characters will likely be mostly forgotten by the time the next Fire Emblem game rolls around.

Whatever "retro" character gets included will very possibly make a return to the mainstream with a new title, judging by Sakurai's past remarks. But I don't know if that character would be rebooted by Sakurai himself, given his current condition.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
True... the more obscure a character becomes, the louder the vocal minority gets... and the more annoyed the non-fans feel towards said fanbase... and the more overrated they perceive said character to be... look at Geno...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
True... the more obscure a character becomes, the louder the vocal minority gets... and the more annoyed the non-fans feel towards said fanbase... and the more overrated they perceive said character to be... look at Geno...
It works both ways. The vocal minority often feel frustrated and can't comprehend why the younger generation doesn't appreciate the legacy of their preferred candidate.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think if Isaac doesn't make it to Smash 4, his popularity will decline a lot. His series had a game released after Brawl.. he wasn't the main character but he was still the most popular. I don't foresee a new Golden Sun game happening again unless his franchise receives a huge popularity boost with his inclusion in Smash or something (Virtual Console on the Wii U, anyone?).

I view this as similar to Krystal. She was pretty highly demanded during before Brawl, almost on par with Wolf for a third Star Fox spot.. but her series hasn't had a new game since Command, which was before Brawl's release.. and her popularity has died down massively.

Perhaps in a similar boat is Palutena, if she doesn't make the roster or become an Assist Trophy or Kid Icarus does, in fact, stay dormant another long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom