• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters as Costumes & Costumes in General

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Considering so many Nintendo protagonists in the Switch era alone have earned dress-up capability to varying extents, I hope this is the case.
They had the right idea with Wario in Brawl and Mac in Smash 4, with the alts getting their own full sets of colors. I don't know why they walked that back.

Even if it was to keep every character at 8 costumes, I'd still have to ask why?

Costume distribution still winds up lopsided because some characters actually get to have unique alts while others don't.

And even for those that do, it's done oddly as well. Mario gets three unique costumes but the two alts only get 1 color. Characters like Wario get an even split between his outfits. Joker gets two looks which could work as an even 4/4; split but they went with a 6/2 instead for whatever reason.

Even in cases like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings, if they kept the same system and just upped the costume count to 16 like Smash 4 Little Mac, you could just give each Koopa one alt color at the very least.

Plus, even if not every character is going to get an alt costume, people would still like the extra colors. You could even fill a lot of them out with colors that got replaced over the course of series. And it's like there's a shortage of other color combos to with. Plenty of other palettes to reference old art, power ups, other characters or even more original stuff that just looks nice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They had the right idea with Wario in Brawl and Mac in Smash 4, with the alts getting their own full sets of colors. I don't know why they walked that back.
at a guess i'd say the more limited development period ultimate had

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of personalitys!
What about dark link? Dark meta knight and stuff!
You know evil versions of heroes i mean Dark pit is much nicer (and similar looking) than those two yet hes a diffrent character!
Granted the dark Link costumes probably exist cause that way you get two dark links Smol and big!
But Still ive seen people say we should just put all 4 main kirby knights over meta although only dark works somewhat!

Galacta has a lance and morpho has a giant sword!

On a diffrent note cxhampion link really should just HAVE All classic links as alts i mean he literally wears their outfits:
Champion
1714222158453.png
1714222215025.png
1714222284204.png
1714222264902.png

Classics:
1714222023527.png
1714222040610.png
1714222069236.png
1714222112004.png

1714222323940.png
<Only if you dont give toon link this look
Others:
1714222418688.png
1714222460999.png
1714222501733.png
1714222527640.png
1714222562136.png

These are just a couple of his wardrobe I would personally say the all the Champions, Classics and Dark and fierce deity would suffice!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of personalitys!
What about dark link? Dark meta knight and stuff!
You know evil versions of heroes i mean Dark pit is much nicer (and similar looking) than those two yet hes a diffrent character!
Giving the Dark Link costumes different idles, taunts, and probably entrance anims doesn't sound bad tbh.

The three other Kirby knights, not so much.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Tangentially related take, but if the Smash series were to go on, one thing I'd like to see is a more modern format for character customisation when it comes to costumes, alts, and so forth. Here's an (edited) mockup I threw together a while back;

Essentially...
  • You select a "costume" and a "colour" seperately.
  • Each "costume" can have minor unique elements as needed beyond just a different model - things like voicelines, appearances of attacks, and victory animations could change too. This wouldn't change gameplay elements, though - that's reserved for echo fighters.
  • Obviously some of these costumes would be entirely different characters, some would be alternate costumes... and some could literally just be made up for the sake of looking cool, or references to entirely other things.
  • Each "costume" also has 12 default alts designed by the dev team with different references in mind - or just to look cool. In this example, Mario's "Modern" costume has a Fire Mario alt.
  • Additionally, they'd have four more custom alts you could put together with a colour wheel. For each character, it wouldn't go much deeper than just being able to select a "colour" prominent on them and change it - so for Mario, you could change the blue of his overalls, the red of his shirt and hat, and maybe his skintone. (This works as a form of customisation that wouldn't need moderation, so you don't need to worry about Mario calling you a slur every time he does a forward smash or something.)
Giving the Dark Link costumes different idles, taunts, and probably entrance anims doesn't sound bad tbh.
This would go really hard, honestly. One additional thing I'd recommend - y'know how when characters walk or run in Mementos, there's that effect around their feet? I think it'd be cool for Dark Link to have a unique thing where when running or walking, he has a splashing water effect around his feet - as in, calling back to his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. I can't imagine it'd cause too many headaches balance-wise, right?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Tangentially related take, but if the Smash series were to go on, one thing I'd like to see is a more modern format for character customisation when it comes to costumes, alts, and so forth. Here's an (edited) mockup I threw together a while back;

Essentially...
  • You select a "costume" and a "colour" seperately.
  • Each "costume" can have minor unique elements as needed beyond just a different model - things like voicelines, appearances of attacks, and victory animations could change too. This wouldn't change gameplay elements, though - that's reserved for echo fighters.
  • Obviously some of these costumes would be entirely different characters, some would be alternate costumes... and some could literally just be made up for the sake of looking cool, or references to entirely other things.
  • Each "costume" also has 12 default alts designed by the dev team with different references in mind - or just to look cool. In this example, Mario's "Modern" costume has a Fire Mario alt.
  • Additionally, they'd have four more custom alts you could put together with a colour wheel. For each character, it wouldn't go much deeper than just being able to select a "colour" prominent on them and change it - so for Mario, you could change the blue of his overalls, the red of his shirt and hat, and maybe his skintone. (This works as a form of customisation that wouldn't need moderation, so you don't need to worry about Mario calling you a slur every time he does a forward smash or something.)

This would go really hard, honestly. One additional thing I'd recommend - y'know how when characters walk or run in Mementos, there's that effect around their feet? I think it'd be cool for Dark Link to have a unique thing where when running or walking, he has a splashing water effect around his feet - as in, calling back to his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. I can't imagine it'd cause too many headaches balance-wise, right?
Yes More costumes would be great although 12 colours might be too much i think 10 or 8 colors are better!

Oracle Link

Smash Master

1714738834712.png
1714738918327.png
Here are the ALts:
Hero of Winds Default:
1. Default
2. Red
3. Blue
4. Purple
5. Zelda 1
6. Dark Link