• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Challenge: Beat "true" All-Star on Hard with Duck Hunt...

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Anyone done so? I got to the last fight once and haven't been able to repeat that 'success' in two ****ing days, so I figured I'd ask if it's actually humanly possible. If anyone has, though, mind letting me know where you got your ****ing Gameshark? Or how you managed to KO them after nothing but ledge-attacking them to 200%? Any obscene exploit you can find or cheat device I can buy will have no hesitation-- any expense just means my budget for mailing Sakurai asbestos beartraps dissolves. -_-

My own seething aside, it looks like Nintendo put less thought into the challenges than they did to balancing in Brawl. Between the 3DS having street pass challenges and all star as a joke, then having obscenely arbitrary challenges for the Wii U along with worse input reading than Psycho Mantis on their second go at All-Star... just... why? You can only afford to take 50% in any given fight against six, while they have you using a character whose KO moves are largely grab-dependent (Uair, Bair, Nair) or that have more endlag than REST. Bleh... I'm normally one to be all giddy over the nicely tuned mechanics, but seeing such a contrast of diuretic design is beyond disgusting. I'm not sure what'll happen first, I vomit blood on the console or break my teeth biting the controller.

In all seriousness, though, someone give me a shout when you find something gamebreaking we can use as a '**** that'.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I did it by mainly spamming smash attacks, with some side-B and u-air mixed in for good measure when appropriate. Oh, and by trying it 500 ****ing times. You're right, this is an infuriatingly difficult and arbitrary challenge. It is the absolute worst. I feel your pain.

If it helps, I've heard that the projectile attacks were not nerfed like physical attacks were, so you need to take extra care against projectile-heavy opponents (and this includes Olimar's Pikmin). This means you may want to heal before Round 6 rather than saving an item for Round 7. You also need some luck in stage selection. For Round 3, getting Kongo Jungle meant I was screwed, but if I got Onett, I could hide on the left side next to the house and spam u-air all day long and get out with almost no damage. And you absolutely want Luigi's Mansion for the last fight. My first time I got Delfino Plaza and it was over in <7 seconds, because **** me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I had to change the thread title so that anyone who sees this thread knows that you have to have everyone unlocked first before you can do the challenge.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I had to change the thread title so that anyone who sees this thread knows that you have to have everyone unlocked first before you can do the challenge.
My mistake-- it had never occurred to me to play all star prior to unlocking the characters.
Yeah, I was referring to AS mode as well. They can catch multiple enemies at once.
Claiming that you 'just spammed smash attacks' gives the image of one standing in place mashing the C-stick towards foes repeatedly at no threat nor challenge to yourself. My canned follow-ups at this juncture then become 'I'm speaking of Hard difficulty' and 'how did you get 40 of the fighters to SD', of which you can take your pick. If you mean that it's a matter of spamming until the game 'lets' you win, or some such thing, that paints a much different picture than the phrasing of 'just spam smash'. That said, I don't even know what you mean by that-- Fsmash? Usmash? Any smash? Only smashes? Mostly immobile? Chase with smashes? Add projectiles? Grabs? Aerials? Charged smashes? It just raises more questions than answers. @_@
I did it by mainly spamming smash attacks, with some side-B and u-air mixed in for good measure when appropriate. Oh, and by trying it 500 ****ing times. You're right, this is an infuriatingly difficult and arbitrary challenge. It is the absolute worst. I feel your pain.

If it helps, I've heard that the projectile attacks were not nerfed like physical attacks were, so you need to take extra care against projectile-heavy opponents (and this includes Olimar's Pikmin). This means you may want to heal before Round 6 rather than saving an item for Round 7. You also need some luck in stage selection. For Round 3, getting Kongo Jungle meant I was screwed, but if I got Onett, I could hide on the left side next to the house and spam u-air all day long and get out with almost no damage. And you absolutely want Luigi's Mansion for the last fight. My first time I got Delfino Plaza and it was over in <7 seconds, because **** me.
I'm still a bit perplexed at what 'spam smash attacks' might completely entail, but clarifying uair and side B certainly helps a bit. That, and the fact that it's not just me finding it to be a matter of luck more than anything. If it's just playing the slots, I can at least remove myself from the experience rather than feeling invested in the horrific design. If it's nothing but coin flips, at least I can stop kicking myself over it and resign myself to the fact that the game will eventually just let me win.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I beat it on my first try by a mixture of smash attack, specials and aerials. Pretty typical play really. Stick to the Hogan's Alley Can, Up Air, and Up Smash for kills. Back Air and Fsmash can work in a pinch.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I used mainly f-smash and d-smash based on where the enemies were. D-smash can be very helpful when you are surrounded, since it hits multiple times and on both sides of you. I spammed rolls a lot too just to get space between me and the enemies. Sadly, there's no way of getting around the fact that this challenge is just ****ing infuriating. I literally had to stop and catch my breath for a minute once I was finally done, since I was up to 200+% damage in the final round.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
If you think duck hunt is hard, wait until you try certain other characters.
Oh? Who? I'm sure part of my DHD problems stem from him being a character I don't even really choose when playing random characters in friendlies all that much (when I want wonky projectile shenanigans, I tend to go for Pac Man or Megaman first-- though I tend to get my fill just from Robin's thunder, thinking of it).

For the record, I'm used to using characters like Robin and Ike who have slow smashes that're impractical outside of punishes. Not so used to ranged smashes. I've only really played DHD about seventy times... fifty of which were just this challenge. His Nair/Bair/Uair seem to be his main non-smash kill moves (can aside), it's just that nailing computers with aerials in a multi-character fight or using a smash-heavy playstyle in general is something that works against every impulse I've ever learned for playing against people-- playing people has given me bad habits for fighting CPUs, perhaps, which is a sentence that should not exist in any context ever.

I'm mostly just irked that I got to the final round and then just lost because you can't mitigate how much damage you take in a 1v3. My defensive toolkit versus players has a crutch of predictive powershields, which both CPUs and multi-person fights throw into chaos. I almost want to go pay some rollspammer on FG to go lemming their way through it-- at least no matter who loses, it'd be a win in my book. Neither's that unfair to fight, but the sheer quantity involved is gratingly infeasible to deal with.

Anywhos, will give the challenge another couple dozen tries today-- appreciate the information as much as I do the catharsis. Hate to make what amounts to a complaint thread, but few things put me at my wit's end faster than feeling like some key information's being withheld from me by a game.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
If you're on a stage with walk-off's (infinite floor), you can go near the edge and kill them from 0% by just throwing them off screen.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
If you're on a stage with walk-off's (infinite floor), you can go near the edge and kill them from 0% by just throwing them off screen.
That used to work consistently for me in past smash games, particularly with stages like flat zone and the like, but it doesn't seem to be viable nearly as often for this... The Mario galaxy stage rather screws with the idea, and many stages have a mile between the borders and the actual blast zones... It still works to get a few KOs marginally quicker, but it's certainly not the free ride it once was. Either you're attempting to grab from past where you can see, or you're needing fair bits of damage to throw them to the blast zone, or so on...

Last edited:

d00derino

Smash Cadet
It's hard. It took me many, many tries. Try using B moves mixed in with an ass load of smash attacks. Don't forget his Down Smash if you're being dogpiled.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was surprised when I beat All Star on hard difficulty as Duck Hunt in only 1 try compared to the 3DS version, which I had like 30. lol

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
I beat it by dropping the "smash right stick until I win" strat and picked up the "spam Bs and THEN right stick until I win" strat. Side-B is the fastest and safest way to build up damage. If they aren't in your face, throw out a can. You shouldn't need down B very much and time spent using it is time wasted by not spamming side B even more.

As much as you might hate hearing this, channel your inner "that idiot coward in For Glory who somehow manages to stall out the timer in a two-stock match". Avoid large groups since all it takes is one AI shielding or a whiffed attack to get you dogpiled into an ocean of weak attacks ending with a smash or tilt. Single out specific targets with your specials while the other AI react with a kneejerk dodge even though it's nowhere near them, turning a mode that's 3v1 90% of the time into 1v1s. Exploit walk-offs when you're at "safe" percentages Remember that while you're outnumbered, your attacks do more than double damage and a lot of attacks that would normal KO you will fail to so much as send you off the stage (with few exceptions like Villager's FSmash and Yellow Pikmin which seem to KO abnormally early for reasons unknown).

If you're going for a 140/140 without the use of hammers, repeat the above four dozen more times.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I beat it by dropping the "smash right stick until I win" strat and picked up the "spam Bs and THEN right stick until I win" strat. Side-B is the fastest and safest way to build up damage. If they aren't in your face, throw out a can. You shouldn't need down B very much and time spent using it is time wasted by not spamming side B even more.

As much as you might hate hearing this, channel your inner "that idiot coward in For Glory who somehow manages to stall out the timer in a two-stock match". Avoid large groups since all it takes is one AI shielding or a whiffed attack to get you dogpiled into an ocean of weak attacks ending with a smash or tilt. Single out specific targets with your specials while the other AI react with a kneejerk dodge even though it's nowhere near them, turning a mode that's 3v1 90% of the time into 1v1s. Exploit walk-offs when you're at "safe" percentages Remember that while you're outnumbered, your attacks do more than double damage and a lot of attacks that would normal KO you will fail to so much as send you off the stage (with few exceptions like Villager's FSmash and Yellow Pikmin which seem to KO abnormally early for reasons unknown).

If you're going for a 140/140 without the use of hammers, repeat the above four dozen more times.
I do know that projectiles do full knockback 's far as the comps go, so I can answer a question for a question, there-- though that's something I read here earlier. I'll be giving it another shot today now that I've got the update for that recovery thread finished. Pointing out that they dodge the side B as such is quite helpful-- I'll try treating it less like multi-man melee and more like cruel melee and see how that does. I don't feel like I much care about hammer use, though I'm starting to wonder if I might make up a guide for the challenges after I do get them done-- might save others some of the time and energy to have a few tips for each all in the same place.

---

Edit: Scratch ALL OF THAT, and, also, I am a complete idiot. I completely hadn't realized you're allowed to heal between rounds... Unbelievable ****ing stupidity on my part. I kept getting 3-4 rounds in without healing and I was screaming at the difficulty... why don't I just plug in a wiimote just to complain about the controls while I'm at it... ._.

Okay, so it's still infuriating, but at least it's possible-- I was mixing it up with the 'beat it without healing', but that lets you use any character... and it's on normal. Now I just need to fight the compulsion to go without healing at all until round 4-- doing it once doesn't make it the best clear strategy... >//<

Last edited:
Top Bottom