• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cap'n Cuttlefish for Smash! Squidbeak Splatoon's Freshest Fella. Moveset inside.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Captain Cuttlefish:

"Ain't I just the freshest fella you ever seen?"

Who is Cap'n Cuttlefish?
Cap'n Cuttlefish is the supporting character in Splatoon's Hero Mode.
He guards Octo Valley from Octarian attacks.
When the Great Zapfish is stolen by the Octarians, he asks the player to retrieve it.

Now the player acts as Agent 3 and Cap'n Cuttlefish guides the player through the levels of Octo Valley.

Why Captain Cuttlefish for Smash?
Because Splatoon is a game with a really broad weapon selection and many unique quirks to it, it's hard to impossible to represent everything Splatoon in one moveset only (the Inkling's).
This is where Cap'n Cuttlefish comes in.
With his affiliation to Octo Valley, he can take the part of Splatoon not represented in a possible Inkling's moveset, Octo Valley.

Besides, there are zero elderly in Smash yet, nor are joke characters. (While Cap'n can't be a complete joke characters, he can have animations that involve him screw up)

What can he do?

There's a few things he could do, actually.

-He could use the obstacles found in Octo Valley (see moveset below)
This allows him to summon Sponges, Ink Rails and Propellor Platforms to get all around the opponent.

-He could be a joke character that continually gets chased by Octarians that attack opponents.
This allows all the Octarians to be used, from Octoballs to Octosnipers, along with fitting the character.

-He could use the weapons not inherited by the Inklings and "be their customs"
As the leader of the Squidbeak Splatoon hundred years ago, he sure can use a lot of weapons.

-He could use his Bamboozler-cane as a sniper, being the first sniper in Smash.
A new archetype? Check. Fitting the character, lore and gameplay of Splatoon, without interfering with Inkling's potential? Check.

-He could even use his cane as a martial arts weapon and go all Rolento on opponents.

If the moveset below doesn't satisfy you, just picture Cap'n Cuttlefish doing Rolento's moves and I'm sure you'll support.

Testing Range: Shooting down arguments!
Octolings, Judd, Squid Sisters, Octobot first!
As for the Octarians, all of the series represented in Smash have had their supporting roles before the villains.
Besides, Octolings can be easy palette swaps, and Octobot is pretty big.

Judd doesn't do a good job in representing Splatoon properly, for not being a weapon wielder.

Squid Sisters are included with Cap'n.
We can have the crabby cakes, eat it, and have glorious Squid Sis codecs.

Two Splatoon characters at once? Wowah!
Yes, Splatoon is really big already and I believe there's too much from it worthwhile to include to be completely satisfied with a customless Inkling.

No ballot support kills him!
Not really, he can ride the back of Inkling's massive support and Splatoon being Nintendo's lovechild.

He appearing with Squid Sisters would be the biggest spoiler ever!
You mean like Xenoblade Chronicles being spoiled to death by mere trophies?
Yeah.

Wait. His hair is white. Would he shoot whit-
NONONONONONONOmaybe

Moveset:
This moveset does not represent Splatoon, only representing Hero's Mode.
This moveset assumes Inklings are in to use Ink Mechanics, Squid Form, Super Jumping and weapons and Captain Cuttlefish is the second Splatoon character to bring the Hero Mode's mechanics instead.
As Captain Cuttlefish has no Squid Form, and his ink doesn't stay on the ground, he'd be unique from Inklings.

Ink IS NOT white, instead, it's his cap's color which varies with palette swaps.

Entrance: Comes out of manhole

Taunt 1: Reads Sunken Scroll
Taunt 2: Dances
Taunt 3: Eats biscuits (Smash Taunt has Squid Sisters codecs)

Jab: Swings his cane
Side Tilt: Shoots Hero Splattershot shots
Up Tilt: Juggles Burst Bombs
Down Tilt: Rolls a Splat Bomb. Deals a lot of damage and knockback, but the attack is really slow for a down tilt.
Dash Attack: Throws a Seeker and runs behind it. The Seeker doesn't leave an ink trail, but the explosion releases ink a bit.

Neutral Aerial: Shoots Hero Splattershot shots
Forward Air: Does the familliar Roller-flick with the Hero Roller.
Back Air: Shoots a Hero Charger shot.
Up Air: Shoots Hero Splattershot shots upwards (Mii Gunner much)
Down Air: Shoots a Charger's shot with his Bamboozler-cane.

Side Smash: Ink Cannon
Cap'n Cuttlefish summons an Ink Cannon and aims it straight forward.

The shots explode on impact or after one second, so they don't travel very far.
However, the shots are very powerful, with a direct hit killing at 100%, and being hit by the explosion killing at 140%
The move is extremely laggy though.

Up Smash: Gusher
Suddenly, a gusher switch pops out of the ground.
Cuttlefish looks at it and shoots it, letting the gusher spout out a big stream of ink upwards.
Opponents are hit multiple times and are knocked back on the last hit.

Down Smash: Balloon Fish
Summons a Balloon Fish, holds it and shoots it, and the fish explodes into a blast of ink.

Pummel: Whacks the opponents with his cane
Forward Throw: Fox' Forward Throw
Back Throw: Snipes the opponent with the Bamboozler.
Up Throw: Snipes the opponent with the Bamboozler. Kill throw
Down Throw: Rolls over opponents with the Hero Roller

Neutral B: Sponge
Cap'n Cuttlefish places down a sponge.
Ink that lands on the sponge cause it to grow bigger, potentionally pushing opponents away.

Side B: Ink Rail
Cap'n Cuttlefish places down a Ink Rail Cannon.
When ink touches the rail, the player can set the rail of ink.
The player can have four turns in the rail and the rail can't be too long.
When the rail is done, Cap'n Cuttlefish can walk and climb over it.

Up B: Launch Pad
Cap'n Cuttlefish places down a Launch Pad.
After the Launch Pad is created, the player must set down a landing spot for it to work.
Multiple Launch Pads can be dropped, but only the inked one can be used!
Use this to keep the opponents guessing.
When the process is complete, Cuttlefish can freely jump (not super jump) from the Launch Pad to the landing point.
He can use his aerials after the apex of the jump, to fend off opponents waiting.

Down B: Propellor Platform
Sets down a propellor platform, inking it causes it to ride forwards.

Final Smash: Well Armed Squid
Three Tuna Cans fall out of the sky, and Agent 1 and Agent 2 being to talk over the radio.
Agent 1: "Bubbler left"
Agent 2: "Inkzooka right"
Agent 1: "Bomb Rush in the middle! Choose wisely!"
Agent 2: "Or just pick all of them"
Both: "Showtime Gramps!"

The Bubbler makes Cap'n Cuttlefish invincible, the Inkzooka can shoot using B and shoots giant collumns of ink and Bomb Rush allows Cuttlefish to quickly shoot an enormous amount of bombs.
During the Final Smash, Agent 1 and Agent 2 talk further, helping Cuttlefish with tips "Press A for a rentless bomb attack, or press B for the might of the Inkzooka!", motivation "Got it Gramps!" "Thar she blows!" or just flavor text "We can't come for Squidmas! We need to film the Squidmas Special"

Squidbeak Splatoon, how fresh are ya?
Supporters list:
WeirdChillFever
Nintendotard

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Splatoon is brimming with future potential in every corner of the franchise so far. This especially goes to the characters: the shopkeepers, the street urchin, Callie & Marie, Cap'n Cuttlefish, and even Judd. They all have great designs.

If the franchise really does go all the way, I guess a creative 2nd character like Cap'n Cuttlefish wouldn't hurt things in Smash 5 or 6. Personally, I'd go for the street urchin because of personal design preference, or Judd because of lack of cat characters in Smash (correct me if I'm wrong).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Splatoon is brimming with future potential in every corner of the franchise so far. This especially goes to the characters: the shopkeepers, the street urchin, Callie & Marie, Cap'n Cuttlefish, and even Judd. They all have great designs.

If the franchise really does go all the way, I guess a creative 2nd character like Cap'n Cuttlefish wouldn't hurt things in Smash 5 or 6. Personally, I'd go for the street urchin because of personal design preference, or Judd because of lack of cat characters in Smash (correct me if I'm wrong).
Judd as a cat character'd be really cool, but doesn't really add to the representation of Splatoon.
Cap'n Cuttlefish can use assets from the game and be the elderly character we don't have yet.

If I had to pick a second character, I'd be Sheldon from Ammo Knights.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Maybe in Smash Five, we can have all sorts of alts for the Inklings Including but not limited too:

Inkling Male
Inkling Female
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Callie
Marie
Octoling

And maybe more, if anyone can think of any.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I really hope by the time Smash 5 comes around Splatoon picks up even further in popularity to make this thing possible. Inkling, Cap'n, Judd, all seem like interesting choices as is, while Octolings, and possibly Jellyfish (maybe Jelonzo?) can really pick up in the future. With so many different weapons, they can all bring something new to the table, so they don't have to be delegated to a clone. Excited to see what the future holds for Splatoon.

Top Bottom