• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone give me the list of universal approach options.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Ive been having trouble approaching in general what are all the basic options all ive got so far is shield sliding and skid jabbing. And the whole jump aerial deal. What are some universal options. Also I use the FE cast as well as LOZ group but im dabbling a bit with everyone.Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to break that rolling habit early on.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
There doesn't seem to be any discovered ways of approaching safely, sadly. As it stands, attacking out of shield is really good and people are opting is play defensively on the counter game, which in my opinion is boring, but it makes sense since it works. I use short hopping a lot (as Diddy Kong) to stay at a close but safe distance to try and land a nair or bair, but if it gets power shielded, I'm getting punished even with the little lag that Diddy has on his aerials. It makes the whole game feel like a game of footsies and whenever I try to anything offensive, even at a good distance, it gets punished. So if anyone has any pressuring ways of approaching that doesn't using revolve projectiles like Ness' PK Fire, I'd like to know too.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Walk toward them.
Oddly enough, for much of the cast this works very, VERY well. If you have a longer reach than your foe, just walk towards them and throw a spaced FTilt or DTilt if they let you get in range, or suddenly transition to a dash and dash attack them. If they panic and throw an attack from outside their range, you punish. If they try to roll behind you, throw an FTilt back or a down smash. If you don't have a longer reach than them, you basically want to move around just outside their reach and try to trick them into misjudging the distance, then hit their extended hurtbox with a tilt. Getting close in Smash 4 often requires mindgames. Sometimes just dashing into a sliding shield works, or dashing into a sliding sidestep if you think they'll try to grab you. If your opponent has been shielding often when you approach, suddenly perform a dash-grab or roll cancel grab (whichever gets your character better range). Also, a lot of people have a tendency to roll away from you when you approach. If you can anticipate this, hit them with something like a Raptor Boost or Wizard's Foot, or suddenly go into a dash and dash attack them.

Short-hop fast-fall aerials are actually a thing in Smash 4 for many characters, the problem is that shield-stun isn't high enough for you to grab them on reaction when they shield it. You have to predict whether they'll shield or not and buffer the grab. Actually, buffering the grab is usually pretty safe even if they don't shield and you end up whiffing, it's just that you lose any follow-up opportunities you would otherwise have gotten from landing that aerial.

Edit: Here's another good approach option: Slow-moving projectiles. If you happen to have a move of this nature, following along immediately behind the projectile can be a very good way to get in and attack. Samus's Dense Charge Shot custom move, for example, makes for an amazing approach tool when coupled with her tether grab.

A big thing about Smash 4 is that just about any approach requires a read to be truly successful no matter how elaborate your setup. Even if you're Samus following behind a Dense Charge Shot with two Relentless Homing Missiles covering the air, you still have to read whether they'll shield or forward roll and react accordingly. Even if in those circumstances the options are as simple as FTilt/DSmash/grab (on a roll) or grab with different timing (on a shield), it's still a read.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Utilize grabs, shields and short hopped aerials. Especially grabs. Just don't miss.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
In the limited online matches I've done, pivots with certain characters make for a nice mix up once and a while. You can tap the opposite direction you are dashing and immediately input a command to turn around and execute that move.

On 3ds, the 2 easiest moves to achieve this with are:

Grabs - If you expect them to roll behind you or let you run right past them, this is a good way to catch them off guard.
F-tilt - Characters with an F-tilt that hits behind them can use it as an alternative to the dash attack (wii fit trainer has a really nice one for this). Of course if they'll let you run past them, it's a quick turn around to a hit.
F-smash - Just like the f-tilt, but a little harder to execute because of the 3ds' stick (at least mine really hates to read smash inputs)

You can always up-smash out of a dash, giving you a KO option.

If campy players are really getting you down, try picking up Peach, Jigglypuff, or Wario. I've had success in different ways with each weaving in and out of an opponents reach and making them slip up or whiff an attack to leave themselves open.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I can say for sure that short hops are very viable, and you may try the rolling grab detailed by another post in this form, as it looks to be a tad safer than dash grabs. Since you do play marth, though, I can tell you a pretty good way to hit for glory players and punish them. You may be familiar with this, but Shield Breaker when fully charged thrusts you forward whilst in the air. Use this when coming down to a ledge from high up, because the player will either shield or dodge 9 times out of 10, and either way you should be able to hit them and destroy their shield, leaving them vulnerable.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Approaching is such a complex topic that it's really hard to just sum it up in universal terms. Essentially, it's anything that gets you closer to the opponent. You wanted all the universal approach, so here you go.

*Walk-->shield/tilt/smash/jump/roll/spotdodge/special/grab/run/stop
*Run-->shield/up-smash/skid stop-->anything/jump/special/roll/spotdodge/dash attack/pivot-->f-tilt, f-smash, grab/dash grab
*Roll
*Short hop-->Aerial/airdodge/double jump/special/nothing
*Full hop-->Aerial/airdodge/double jump/special/nothing
*Any special that moves you forward (Dancing blade, Quick draw, Lunge punch. ect)
*Any move that moves you forward (Dedede d-tilt, Marth's dtilt, MK's dtilt)

Technically that's it. Not to say that all options are equally effective, but that for you to discover while you play. Combine options and watch to see how the opponent reacts and how vulnerable you are during the action. I could just tell you which ones are best for your characters, however experimenting yourself while you play will give you a greater sense of fundamentals and benefit you more in the long run.

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Yeah, JJPalmer, I'd say the nature of your question belies what smash is really about. The best thing you could do is to find a strategy with a character you like (Ike, i'm guessing from your tags), then test that against REAL HUMAN BEINGS online or in person, and then you'll start to realize that whatever you're doing is either :
A: working, so you just need to figure out how people react to that strategy, then start using an educated guess of their reaction to read what they'll do, and beat them in a race to adapt to your strategy, their counter strategy, your strategy that counters their counter reaction.

B: Not working, in which case you need to re-evaluate a basic plan of attack with Ike.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Honestly, as a new player, you'll notice an immediate increase in success if you stop seeing approaching as 'attacking', and start seeing approaching as 'staying in control'.

You won't be too good at starting crazy combo/string chains, so keep it simple at first and master the basics. And I mean MASTER them. The basics are the most useful set of skills to master. Let me explain.

I've been trying different characters, finding my main. Per usual for me and Smash Bros. And while each character may have a good fair shorthop approach, or dair approach, or dash attack approach, or whatever - they all have the ability to be patient, dodge the enemy, and land a grab or jab combo. THAT is the bread and butter of Smash 4, especially for players new to competitive smash.

A lot of us aren't at SSB64/Melee/P:M level where doing a great attack approach out of nowhere can actually lead somewhere for us, combo-wise. Sure, you may land that fair or ftilt, but then what? Do you know the options your enemy will have, and do you know the optimal way to follow up? And that's if you even land your attack - you may not. And what happens then? Likely, you start rolling around, or jumping, or spot dodging, or sending out random smashes because you hope the enemy makes a mistake.

Take it slow and boil your character down to its rock-paper-scissors essence when you're trying to learn and improve at Smash in general -- shield, grab, and/or punish. Do one of those.

Rolling is good, but you'd be surprised at how fine blocking attacks with your shield and attacking/grabbing out of it can be. Just make sure your enemy's hitbox is done.
If they grab after their attack, then you didn't punish them fast enough. You'll learn the optimal timings for un-shielding from enemy attacks, especially the multi-hit ones which are the trickier ones to un-shield from.

Rolling feels good, but it often doesn't accomplish too much when you are at the beginner stage of learning Competitive Smash. Don't get me wrong - use it for mobility and such, but stay focused when you're boxing in close range. Shield, figure out when their hitbox ends, and land a grab or jab combo.

Once you're better, you'll figure out the approaches that are nifty, safe, and lead to follow ups. Otherwise, a simple shield-jab combo will do the same damage as a non-combo fair or bair approach. Stick to the bread and butter, and move up to the fancy dishes when you're ready. Don't jump ahead yet, because you'll overwhelm yourself or get frustrated.

Keep it simple at first, basically, is what my advice is for new players.
Moving around too much and trying to look like the pros will overwhelm you and make you fumble, and also make you take your eyes off of your foe (oh yeah - look at the enemy fighter instead of your own).
Just focus on punishing and utilizing your current limited set of skills, and the rest will come in time. You'll move on to greater things, but not before you master the simpler basics.

Last edited:

FlamePikaYoshi

Smash Rookie
After or during a certain action, your basic options can be:
Smash :GCCN:
Tilt:GCN::GCA:
Air Attack:GCX::GCN:or:GCY::GCN:
Shield:GCLT:or:GCRT:
Roll:GCLT::GCL::GCR:or:GCRT::GCL::GCR:
Spotdodge:GCLT::GCD: or :GCRT::GCD:
Special:GCB: or :GCN::GCB:
Jab:GCA:
Grab:GCZ:
Whichever one you have to do depends on the situation you are in. At some situations, there are multiple good options, but after you act, the outcome of the fight could change.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Honestly, as a new player, you'll notice an immediate increase in success if you stop seeing approaching as 'attacking', and start seeing approaching as 'staying in control'.

You won't be too good at starting crazy combo/string chains, so keep it simple at first and master the basics. And I mean MASTER them. The basics are the most useful set of skills to master. Let me explain.

I've been trying different characters, finding my main. Per usual for me and Smash Bros. And while each character may have a good fair shorthop approach, or dair approach, or dash attack approach, or whatever - they all have the ability to be patient, dodge the enemy, and land a grab or jab combo. THAT is the bread and butter of Smash 4, especially for players new to competitive smash.

A lot of us aren't at SSB64/Melee/P:M level where doing a great attack approach out of nowhere can actually lead somewhere for us, combo-wise. Sure, you may land that fair or ftilt, but then what? Do you know the options your enemy will have, and do you know the optimal way to follow up? And that's if you even land your attack - you may not. And what happens then? Likely, you start rolling around, or jumping, or spot dodging, or sending out random smashes because you hope the enemy makes a mistake.

Take it slow and boil your character down to its rock-paper-scissors essence when you're trying to learn and improve at Smash in general -- shield, grab, and/or punish. Do one of those.

Rolling is good, but you'd be surprised at how fine blocking attacks with your shield and attacking/grabbing out of it can be. Just make sure your enemy's hitbox is done.
If they grab after their attack, then you didn't punish them fast enough. You'll learn the optimal timings for un-shielding from enemy attacks, especially the multi-hit ones which are the trickier ones to un-shield from.

Rolling feels good, but it often doesn't accomplish too much when you are at the beginner stage of learning Competitive Smash. Don't get me wrong - use it for mobility and such, but stay focused when you're boxing in close range. Shield, figure out when their hitbox ends, and land a grab or jab combo.

Once you're better, you'll figure out the approaches that are nifty, safe, and lead to follow ups. Otherwise, a simple shield-jab combo will do the same damage as a non-combo fair or bair approach. Stick to the bread and butter, and move up to the fancy dishes when you're ready. Don't jump ahead yet, because you'll overwhelm yourself or get frustrated.

Keep it simple at first, basically, is what my advice is for new players.
Moving around too much and trying to look like the pros will overwhelm you and make you fumble, and also make you take your eyes off of your foe (oh yeah - look at the enemy fighter instead of your own).
Just focus on punishing and utilizing your current limited set of skills, and the rest will come in time. You'll move on to greater things, but not before you master the simpler basics.
The jab combo has always been one of my favourite moves ever since I first got into Brawl. I always have and probably always will overuse rolls and sidesteps (especially sidesteps) instead of actually using the shield, but jabs are always one of my go-to options no matter which character I'm playing. Well, unless I'm Brawl Marth, in which case I use Dancing Blade in just about any situation I would normally jab because his jab is terrible.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This isn't a game where you approach and rush people down. You have to respect defenses and other character moves. Learn footsies. Don't try too hard to actually approach as opposed to actively space against your opponent and maintain a threatening distance from them while trying to hit them with safe moves, and go for punishes where applicable.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I was just looking for a thread like this. Apart from casually playing brawl a few weeks after release, I've been trying to get into Smash 4. It seems when I'm playing, my number 1 problem is my movement. Trying to get closer to the enemy causes me to dash uncontrollably into an attack, or past them and attack in the wrong direction. I've been looking into other threads but as a day 1 newbie all the terms are confusing. Are there any other resources for beginner references?

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
I feel ya nevarro just got back from TFC entered Pm brawl and smash 4 I have a lot to learn for Pm and smash 4 didnt like brawl enough to try ut again

Top Bottom