• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brigadier Betty for SM4SH (Added reasons why Andy from Advance Wars won't make the cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Western Frontier’s Baton Wielding Cheerleader – Brigadier Betty
Question of the Week: What Icon would Brigadier Betty Have?

Who Is Brigadier Betty

FOR GOD SAKE, DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE HER WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF!
Brigadier Betty can be summed up as Battalion Wars’ poster girl, whom thus far has made it into two Nintendo games.
A lot of people assume Battalion Wars is part of the Advance Wars series, although initially it was going to be called Advance Wars: Under Fire. Yet I would consider it part of the Nintendo Wars series rather than the Advance Wars. The main reason is due to the major difference in gameplay. This being that Advance Wars is turn-based strategy (Fire Emblem with guns) whilst Battalion Wars is real-time, also there is no crossover between the two.
Her first appearance being Battalion Wars on the Gamecube, released in late 2005. In which Brigadier Betty plays as the most common Commanding Officers, in which she at times gives missions but more prominently gives the player aid at what to do next. However Brigadier Betty does not ever enter the battle herself, thus meaning she is never controlled by the player herself.
Her final appearance is in Kuju Entertainment’s second instalment in Battalion Wars, BWii (released 2007.) We see Brigadier Betty get a makeover, in which her baton and cheerleader outfit (see alternative costumes) are replace by her wearing a Grunt helmet and a bit more revealing outfit and she also has a different voice actor. Brigadier Betty this time isn’t the main CO in the game; however we do see her make an appearance in some missions, doing the exact same roles from the previous Battalion Wars. However if one looks at the marketing/promotion of Battalion Wars II, one does see that Brigadier Betty is still Battalion Wars’ poster girl. The image below the title is the only unique artwork for the game (with units and other Commanding Officer’s getting artwork, however they consistently have a white background.) Another point is on the official website (http://www.nintendo.com/sites/battalionwars2/) one can see on the initial page Brigadier Betty makes an appearance. Showing it was intentional to have Brigadier Betty to still remain one of the standouts of the commanding officers in Battalion Wars.

Why Should She Be In

Firstly I’m not going to lie, but Brigadier Betty isn't a popular character, in fact in the Pre-Brawl days (I had an account back then, but I have no way of accessing it) she had no support at all. However let us follow suit with the French and have a REVOLUTION. We've heard enough of Ridley, King K Rool and Little Mac; it’s time for an unexpected newcomer to suddenly boost with popularity. Anyway:

What she got going for her:

·She is a female, and in Super Smash Bros land, there is lack of it.
·She has appeared in two games
·For the American patriots, one can see a character he is influenced by Americana.
·There is also no characters with a theme based around modern military/war.
·A lot of freedom with her moveset (all she does is appear in a couple of cut scenes and yap on about whatever during battle.)
·Nintendo Wars lacks a representative.
·Kuju Entertainment (the makers,) is a company from the West, and there is lack of Western made Nintendo characters.

What she hasn’t got going for her:

·Andy from Advance Wars is a more popular character (see below on why Andy won’t make it to Smash)
·Battalion Wars is less popular than Advance Wars
·Overall Battalion Wars isn’t a well-known series

Moveset

Coming Soon
But for a rough idea her A-attacks involve the baton, whilst her B attacks will be her using weapons from Western Front’s infantry.

Alternative Costumes

Battalion Wars 1 Costume

Battalion Wars 2 Costume

Could someone with Photoshop skills do alternative colours for Brigadier Betty, it would be greatly appreciated

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Cut-scenes with Brigadier Betty

Battalion Wars:

1:08

Battalion Wars 2:

0:12

Spoilers

Music from Battalion Wars

Battalion Wars 1:

Main Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TPvJjwhFI
Black Gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNEE_rCZdM

Battalion Wars 2:

Western Frontier Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCp5uvgLlJg
Mission Select: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQpNuNEEjI
Iron Legion Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZE10Pl9Ig
Prologue and Apocalypse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RxgE71wcOU

Fan-art

Done by ClearKid

Done by CallMePo

Done by Richten

Signature

Once again someone good at Photoshop, please feel free to make a signature icon. Will be credited.

Supporters

TempahRelapse

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
She is a waaaaay better choice than andy.
The problem with nintendo wars is that we play for the cute little soldiers exploding and killing themselves, so a regular soldier will walways be a better option over any character.

Anyways, she is awesome, i support.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
FOR GOD SAKE, DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE HER WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF! OH GOSH!

Why Should She Be In

Firstly I’m not going to lie, but Brigadier Betty isn't a popular character, in fact in the Pre-Brawl days (I had an account back then, but I have no way of accessing it) she had no support at all. That says something... However let us follow suit with the French and have a REVOLUTION. But most of those failed... :troll: We've heard enough of Ridley, King K Rool and Little Mac; it’s time for an unexpected newcomer to suddenly boost with popularity. Anyway:

What she got going for her:

·She is a female, and in Super Smash Bros land, there is lack of it. Being female is not a good reason to get in.
·She has appeared in two games K. Andy appeared in two as well.
·For the American patriots, one can see a character he is influenced by Americana. And for those who aren't American? Smash is played by people all around the world dude...
·Battalion Wars is a reasonably new IP, and Sakurai is looking for characters from recent IPs (correct me if I’m wrong.) We have no quote from Sakurai saying that, though the newcomer choices might support that. Regardless, 2005 isn't new.
·There is also no characters with a theme based around modern military/war. Well then, what's :snake:? Chopped liver?
·A lot of freedom with her moveset (all she does is appear in a couple of cut scenes and yap on about whatever during battle.) Can't that be a point against her?
·Nintendo Wars lacks a representative. Just make it Andy or Will. They're actually important!
·Kuju Entertainment (the makers,) is a company from the West, and there is lack of Western made Nintendo characters. Most DKC characters, some Pokemon, anything by Retro, etc.
·Intelligent System already have representatives for another turn-based strategy war thingo, that being Fire Emblem. To add to Andy section Um.... What's your logic here?

What she hasn’t got going for her:

·Andy from Advance Wars is a more popular character (see below on why Andy won’t make it to Smash) And important too.
·Battalion Wars is less popular than Advance Wars Says a lot.
·Overall Battalion Wars isn’t a well-known series Again. Says a lot.

Why Brigadier Betty Over Andy/Why Andy Won’t Make It to Smash Bros

Firstly I would like to say that I’m going to try and be non-biased in this section of the thread. Also I personally am a supporter of Andy; I would think it would be goddamn amazing seeing a wrench to the face. However I don’t believe Andy has too much potential in making it to the roster, the main reason being behind the Advance Wars series itself. I think people are forgetting one thing, and that is Advance Wars recently had a reboot, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, in which we see a complete change of characters and factions. This time the CO to replace Andy is Will. It would seem illogical on the promotional and long-term side of things for Andy get into the roster over Will. This is because you’re, well giving a character from a universe that will probably never make it into another game an opportunity over a character/universe that has replaced its predecessor.
Another point with Andy is with his moveset, what you can reference from his gameplay within the games is extremely overpowered. What I’m referencing to are his CO powers in the game which are Hyper Heal (if I remember correctly), which in the game heals his soldiers. If this were to be translated into Super Smash Bros, it would go along the lines of healing his percentage. And just imagine having a character that won’t reach a percentage where it is easy to smash off stage just because of a click of a button. I mean it’s not essential, but it’s nice to see a nod to the games the characters originally come from. On the other hand, we see Brigadier Betty who well yaps on and on, thus meaning that there is no need to reference any powers from her games (although this can be seen as a bad thing.)
Another reason why Brigadier Betty tops Andy is to do with the character design. Although I believe Orange Star, just like Western Frontier, is meant to be based off the American forces. Brigadier Betty does a lot better way of illustrating it. This is due to Andy being drawn in anime style, whilst Brigadier Betty having more Western influences in her clothing, plus being drawn in a style more similar to Western cartoons. In conclusion there is a lack of Western themed characters in Super Smash Bros, and Brigadier Betty does a better illustration than Andy.
Overall the Nintendo Wars representative, really boils down to which series Nintendo want to push (either Advance Wars or Battalion Wars.) Intelligent System has mentioned they want to make a new Advance Wars, however it is more likely to feature characters from the 2nd generation of COs over the original, this including Andy.

This paragraph made me inclined to support Will, not Betty.
Some thoughts here.

Needs some work, but this can go places.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You should focus more on the character your presenting than taking down the character's "rivals", because that doesn't matter IMO. I would use this as a haven to geek out, less of a debate hall.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I think he was trying to start (or avoid) a debate with his andy arguments, sadly im not agree with them.
What she really has to offer is an actually "this is a war" representation, something andy doesnt has.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Some thoughts here.

Needs some work, but this can go places.
Alright cheers, I think it's best I take down the Andy section, otherwise the whole thing gets compared to Andy. I'm a supporter of him as well (eventually when I finish my sig he should be on.)

As for Snake, I doubt he will make the cut Konami haven't really supported Nintendo recently, plus Metal Gear Solid is being released on every other console but Nintendo. Then again who knows.

All you have is Retro characters representing Western Developers within the roster.

2005 by Nintendo standards is new IP (when comparing to Sony and Microsoft)

When it comes to popularity, I don't believe it says too much about the quality of a game. There is plenty of shovelware that did well on the Wii and Kinect. On the otherhand games such as The Darkness, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, got descent reviews, but didn't sell well at all. Same can be applied to Battalion wars

Also once again some may see it as a pro to have more females, just because it helps balance the roster

D

Deleted member

There is nothing different from Snake's/Konami's perspective than when Snake was in Brawl except for a 3DS remake of Metal Gear Solid 3.
If it didn't stop Snake before, it won't stop him now.
What would stop him is if Sakurai and/or Kojima decide that he's a one-time deal. Which, going by Sonic, would fall squarely on Kojima.

Also, Battalion Wars is not a new IP; it's part of the Famicom Wars franchise. Saying it's a brand new IP is saying Mario & Luigi is a brand new IP and needs a character (such as the M&L Mario Bros. tag-team).
Being female, by the way, is not a factor in chances or "deservingness".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom