• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlers of the Coast - Morehead City, NC - February 21st-

Raezor

Smash Rookie
This is the second Smash Bros. tournament I will be running, the first one, East NC Brawl, was the tester just to see how things would go and if I want to continue doing them, and if its worth doing.

It went great, lets do this.

!!!!!BRAWLERS OF THE COAST!!!!!
::SBR Certified::

(Since were on the crystal coast and its a brawl tournament, I decided to smash them together, yes its a convinient spin off of wizards of the coast, i'm cheesy, you'll live.)

Crystal Coast Civic Center
Room 2 or 3 (Upstairs)
Address: 3505 Arendell St., Morehead City, NC, 28557
Date: February 21, 2009
1PM till its over!
Be here at noon for setup!

Keep in mind that this is a charity tournament, proceeds go to the Carteret Community College Game Club, so that we can do more of these wonderful tournaments. I understand that some people won't be coming because the pot isn't distributed 100%, but if you want to see more tournaments in this region, this is how it has to be. The first place % has been raised 10% from the last tournament.

::Singles Tournament::

$10 Entry Fee

Double elimination bracket format.
Last match, WINNER TAKES ALL! (As in if you've won up to this match, and you lose, you get 2nd place, you will not get the chance to try again.)
No Items
Stock 4
Time: 8 Minutes.

Game cube controllers will be provided for play.
Arcade sticks are viable, you must bring your own.
Wiimote & other Wii controllers are viable, you must bring your own, wireless failure matches will be replayed if both players agree, so it is highly suggested that you bring a new set of batteries, and remove the batteries when you are not playing.

Last set will be best out of 5.

Summary of rules:
Singles Tournament
Double Elimination
Set Winner: Best out of 3 matches.
Final Set: Best out of 5 matches. Winner takes all.
Stock scoring system set to 4.
Time limit: 8 Minutes.
Mode: Standard Brawl

Prizes
1st Place: 35% of pot
2nd Place: 15% of pot
3rd Place: 10% of pot

::Doubles Tournament::

$15 entry fee per team.
Starts after an intermission when the singles tournament ends.

Basically similar to Singles rules.
Double elimination.
Same controller rules as Singles Tournament.
Team Damage ON!
Lifestealing is ON!
Last set, winner takes all.
Best out of 3 matches, with best out of 5 matches last set.

Prizes
First Place Team - 35% of pot
Second Place Team - 15% of pot
Third Place Team - 10% of pot

::play Format::

Set - An amount of matches two players play.
Match - A single play between two players.

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match "double blind"*
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, with the stage randomly chosen from the "Starter" list.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind: Characters will be selected secretely and will be

Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Delfino
Castle Siege

Counterpick:
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Restrictions
No obvious excessive stalling.
No MetaKnight Infinate Dimensional Cape.
No Dedede standing infinate grab

Other rules:
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by a coin flip.
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out.

We will attempt to bring in another television & Wii so that the losers bracket goes by faster, but please make the greatest attempt you can at getting the day off from work or having plans set aside for the given day so that you don't have to leave and/or be snuck into the brackets.

If you own a Wii and are willing to bring a TV that is at least 20" or larger, please contact me, contact information is listed at the bottom.

If enough people ask for it, I will make a way for melee to be setup for freeplay off to the side.

Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns? Call or text Nathan at 252-422-3496.

Raezor

Smash Rookie
Whats wrong with the rules? Just because they don't follow SBR? Or random stages? Or controllers?

The first one went well and nobody complained about the rules, but this is only my second Smash tournament.

Constructive critisism would help.

Raezor

Smash Rookie
Alright, I completely changed the rules more towards community standards.
I am not here to revolutionize the rules set to make things more strict and randomized, I am wanting to provide the coastal NC region the Smash tournament scene, so I looked at other tournaments and the SBR standard ruleset, made things more openly available, and gave people more of a decision on how they play.

I want this to be big, so I realize that for that to happen I have to adapt my rules to the community.

Anything else? Just PM me, I am watching and hoping for the best.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Wow 4 Hour Drive to play Brawl? D:

Can you put Melee in?

Raezor

Smash Rookie
I used to play melee but I haven't ever since brawl came out, so im not too sure as to the rules that I would enforce for it, stages, bans. Can anybody post standard melee rules for me that I use as a bit of a guide?

Raezor

Smash Rookie
I don't think I changed the stage list too much from the SBR list. So whats so bad about it?

Raezor

Smash Rookie
Somebody please inform me about my stages and tell me what is wrong the with selection?

Raezor

Smash Rookie
This tournament is done, it can be moved or deleted now, the turnout was 10 people, was hoping for more but I suppose the only way to do that is to host Melee.

chriscapnz

Smash Apprentice
is this tourney still going on? if not anybody thats around the area and would like to play just hit me up! i just recentally moved here and know nobody /: needs some cool players to chill with!

Top Bottom