• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowsers Grab Game

Demia

Smash Rookie
Hoping to open up some discussion about Bowser's grab game, which while I don't think is as integral as it is to DDD or DK, is still a very powerful and important tool in his arsenal. I'll start by arraying my own meager knowledge on the subject.

Up: Great for follow ups on seemingly every character. Opponents can DI straight up, natural direction is up and a little in front of you, and then they can also DI hard away. Free follow up for just about any aerial, up or down smash, up tilt, bowser bomb kill follow up, koopa claw follow ups, sometimes requires sharp bowser bomb jump cancel to be quick enough though. Seems like, at least with some characters at some percents, follow up on the hard away DI is impossible, but I'm not certain.

Forward: Good for throwing people off the level to follow up with Bowsers exceptional edgeguarding. Not sure if any combo potential.

Back: Same as forward

Down: No idea what this is useful for, seems pretty garbage to me. I've gotten some things off of it before, but nothing consistent it seems.

Claw Throw: Pretty much the same as his up throw.

Claw BThrow: Same as forward and back or a surprise kill move.

Aside from combo options and setting up for gimping, does bowser have anything like chain grabs or DI mixups? I haven't seen anything.

Pluttergub

Smash Cadet
Dthrow is far from useless. I'd argue it's his best throw against most characters. On non-floaties it starts tech chases, which can very quickly lead to huge amounts of damage with one or two reads or reactions to tech options. It also does 16%, definitely one of the best throws in the game for damage.

Uthrow, in my experience, isn't as good as you describe. Most characters, barring spacies, can hard DI away to escape any guaranteed followups.

I agree with what you said for Fthrow and Bthrow. One thing to note is the speed of Bthrow; it can be used as a quick throw to catch opponents with bad DI near the ledge. Same goes for both his Claw throws, although they are DI mixups for each other.

Prince_Issac

Smash Rookie
From small amounts of testing and seeing a post in another thread, I have seen that we have chain grabs on fast fallers with Uthrow. Even with DI off stage I think that we could do a dash grab to stop spacies and Falcon from escaping the chain. It goes until about 60 percent, then you have to do something. A fair on a forward DI will knock them away and gives us the edgeguards we like. A backward DI means you have to turn around and follow that up. Either DI may set up an edgeguard situation.
TL;DR: Uthrow chains and fair out of uthrow on spacies are good

Demia

Smash Rookie
Pluttergrub, can you detail how you tech chase away DI with away tech roll on the down throw? or do you only use the throw close enough to the edge to nullify that option?

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Pluttergrub, can you detail how you tech chase away DI with away tech roll on the down throw? or do you only use the throw close enough to the edge to nullify that option?
Dash forwards immediately after the throw. Some characters you can catch (including fox, iirc), and some you can't (such as Mewtwo) - c'est la vie.

Uthrow is pretty good in a lot of cases to force the opponent to doublejump, even if you don't necessarily have a guaranteed followup. You can then punish them on the way down with something like a DD grab or a fullhop instant nair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom