• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Bomb Question

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Hey Bowser forums! I have a quick question about Bowser's down-B.

I was playing an online match against Bowser. Bowser did the Bowser bomb and hit my shield with the first hit where he jumps into the air. While shielding, I hit to the side to roll out of the way. But I was unable to roll. The second hit of Bowser bomb connected with my shield and broke it.

My question: Does the first hit of Bowser bomb cause enough shield stun to confirm into the next hit? Does the shield stun make rolling out of the next hit impossible? OR did the online input lag just eat my attempt at rolling?

Last edited:

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I had to reread what you wrote because I was originally going to write a much more technical response. You should absolutely be able to roll away after shielding the initial rising hit of a grounded Bowser bomb. I've had many people manage it against mine I'm afraid. It sounds like a combination of online lag and possibly you trying to roll while still in the minimal shield-stun of the first hit... more the first than the second.

What I originally read this as was you getting hit by the downwards portion of the bomb, and trying to dodge out in between the shield hits - because Bowser bomb coming down on a shield isn't one hit, but 3 individual shield hits (correct me if I'm wrong guys) before it cracks the shield. I feel like I'm sure I've had people roll out between shield hits, but maybe I'm confabulating a memory there. Sad to say, if you're shielding a Bowser bomb from above (minus the ground hit), often it won't break shields unless Bowser's center mass is right on top of you - it'll do one or two ticks of shield damage, but not enough to break it.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the reply! I also didn't know that about the three separate hits, but that's unrelated to my issue.

Looks like I couldn't roll because of the input lag. Appreciate the detailed answer.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
Yes that initial hit has quite a bit of shield stun, but not sure how much.

Also the bomb has two hits technically. Once in the air, and then while landing. It needs to be mostly center mass because the landing hit is weaker outside of that, and that is the hit that will break it.

Top Bottom