• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beware the Tiger Punch: Great Tiger for SSB4 DLC!

Laniv

Smash Champion
Great Tiger: Hear Him Roar for SSB4!

Overview

Great Tiger is an Indian boxer from the Punch-Out!! Series. He first appeared in Super Punch-Out!! for the arcade in 1984, and most recently, Punch-Out!! for the Wii in 2009. He is an Indian boxer, hailing from Mumbai, and as such, he speaks fluent Hindi. In matches against him, he is famous for using magic and teleportation.

He’s not the most memorable of Punch-Out opponents, or the most likely second Punch-Out character, but he does stick out among the cast for having a unique fighting style.

Why Great Tiger, of all potential Punch-Out characters?

Great Tiger has one thing that the other opponents in Punch-Out do not: magical abilities. With the turban on his head as a tell, Great Tiger can teleport and use clones of himself to hit Little Mac.

Also, that voice of his is a fountain of ASMR.

But what would he do differently from Little Mac?

Great Tiger could be a more “balanced” Little Mac—he may not be as strong on the ground as Mac, but unlike the Bronx Bruiser, Great Tiger has actual ability in the air. :p

Jab: A simple one-two punch. Total 6%.
Forward Tilt: A wind-up punch, similar to Wario 9%.
Up Tilt: A nice, clean uppercut. 7%.
Down Tilt: A downwards hook. 8%.
Dash Attack: Sends out a clone to attack in front of him. The clone paralyzes opponents when he hits. Great Tiger follows up with a jab to the face. 12%.

Forward Smash: Great Tiger punches forward. This has some delay so the jewel can blink red, psyching out the foe. 18%.
Up Smash: Great Tiger hops up while punching straight up with an outstretched arm. 11%.
Down Smash: Great Tiger summons a clone to punch the opponent towards himself. Great Tiger then punches them behind himself. Total 16%.

Neutral Aerial: Great Tiger takes a meditative pose while two of his clones strike on either side of himself. 8% per clone.
Forward Aerial: A Great Tiger clone rushes forward to hit. 15%.
Back Aerial: Great Tiger teleports, then quickly swipes behind him. 12%.
Up Aerial: A burst of magic energy comes from Great Tiger’s turban, damaging for 14%.
Down Aerial: Great Tiger punches downward. His weakest aerial, on par with Little Mac’s entire air game. 3%.

Grab and Pummel: Great Tiger grabs with one hand, and punches with the other. 2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Great Tiger shoves the opponent forward with both hands, dealing 16%.
Back Throw: Great Tiger looks condescendingly to the opponent, then hands them over to a clone behind him, like one would pass over a baby. The clone then punches them even further behind Great Tiger. 10%.
Down Throw: Great Tiger uppercuts the opponent, where a waiting clones quickly knocks them right back down again. 13%.
Up Throw: Great Tiger grabs the opponent and teleports with them upward so he can punch them straight up. 17%.

Neutral Special—Tiger Claw: Great Tiger charges up, and unleashes a vicious looking downward hook. Similarly to Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch, an image of a tiger's claw appears during the move. Leaves opponents prone when it hits. 25%.

Custom Neutral Special 1--Savage Tiger Claw: This is a faster and stronger version of the Tiger Claw. This version knocks people away instead of leaving them on the ground. 20%.
Custom Neutral Special 2--Brave Tiger Claw: This is much slower. In fact, it's as slow as Ganondorf's up tilt(!!). But on the plus side, super armor helps. 14%.

Side SpecialJewel Teleport: Great Tiger crosses his arms as his jewel flashes. This move works similarly to Meta Knight’s Dimensional Cape and Greninja’s Shadow Sneak. After the jewel flashes, Great Tiger will teleport in a direction and punch forward. 13%.

Custom Side Special 1
--Hasty Jewel Teleport: This move is quicker and easily spammable (Zipping around all over the place! Wheee!), but the distance traveled is much shorter. Also, if Great Tiger is during the startup, he will be unable to perform the move again for 7 seconds. 8%.
Custom Side Special 2--Sluggish Jewel Teleport: Great Tiger seems to take his time for this move. An orange blur appears as a guide for the player (and for opponents). 16%.

Up SpecialTiger Vanish: A simple teleportation move. Great Tiger adopts the meditative pose and vanishes in a puff of smoke. He reappears in the chosen direction.

Custom Up Special 1--Tiger Pounce: This time, Great Tiger forgoes the teleportation, and leaps out at a 45 degree angle with his fist out. 10%.
Custom Up Special 2--Tiger Twirl: Great Tiger rises up, taking foes with him. At the end of the move, there is a weak meteor effect. 15% total.

Down SpecialTiger Twin: Great Tiger summons up a clone to fight alongside him. The clone is different in that he has a shadowy, smoky texture. The clone imitates Great Tiger’s every move and attack. The clone can only take 40% damage before he disappears. The clone also disappears after 15 seconds.

Custom Down Special 1--Brash Twin: Great Tiger's double will be much faster and stronger than the original. However, he can only take 20% this time and disappears after only 5 seconds. As they say, pride before a fall.
Custom Down Special 2--Mirrored Twin: This double has a mind of his own. He moves in the opposite direction of the original (e.g., original moves left, clone moves right). This seems weird at first, but it can be used to pummel opponents back and forth between the two.

Final SmashMirage Dance: Great Tiger takes the classic power-up pose while shouting. He then moves into the background and summons clones to move in quickly and strike, dealing 20%. After three clones are sent, Great Tiger moves in for the KO, spinning wildly with his arms outstretched, knocking people away for 40% damage.

Taunts
Up Taunt
: Great Tiger crosses his arms as his jewel flashes red, green, and then white, in that order.
Side Taunt: Great Tiger teleports away, allowing clones to make various poses in his stead.
Down Taunt: Takes the meditative pose, crosses his arms, and laughs at the opponent’s impudence.

Victory Poses
Energy swirls into Great Tiger’s turban. He then looks into the camera and raises one eyebrow.
2. Raises his fists in triumph, as several other clones join him in posing.
3. Great Tiger and his clones engage in synchronized aerobics. The real Great Tiger winks at the camera as they all address the applause.

If you're convinced, go out there and vote for Great Tiger today!

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Great Tiger's Supporters

-Laniv
-slambros
-memoryman3
-Amiiboshiibo​

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
This is a good chance to have a valid airborne boxer with magical specials in Smash! Why didn't I vote for him?

Last edited:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I want all the Punch Out!! characters in Smash, so I support.

I'd rather have Doc Louis though

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Added!

And yeah, the Punch-Out characters are a colorful bunch, aren't they?
Yes. I can already imagine a character like King Hippo in Smash Bros.

No matter how many stocks he has, he's killed after being launched the first time.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Yes. I can already imagine a character like King Hippo in Smash Bros.

No matter how many stocks he has, he's killed after being launched the first time.
I've thought about a Doc Louis moveset, and I thought of a special sort-of-a-counter-but-it-isn't move.

He takes out a chocolate bar and eats it to heal himself for 30%. If someone hits him during the animation, he gets angry and receives a boost in speed and power.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I've thought about a Doc Louis moveset, and I thought of a special sort-of-a-counter-but-it-isn't move.

He takes out a chocolate bar and eats it to heal himself for 30%. If someone hits him during the animation, he gets angry and receives a boost in speed and power.
I was actually thinking something like that too.

Most Punch Out!! characters such as Gabby Jay, King Hippo, and Doc Louis would be joke characters, but Great Tiger would be a great character, despite being a filthy cheater.

It seems like the Punch Out!! cheater characters would be the best Smash Bros. characters.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to add that the most likely second Punch Out character is probably Bald Bull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom