• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best ways to practice Ice Climbers by yourself?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty new, but learning other characters weights via grabs/chaingrabs/handoffs are usually good. Practicing spacing your regular hammer moves like fair, f-tilt (and its angles) and shorthop bair. from there you can practice/learning desyncs starting from the easy ones and working your way up to what you know, then analysing where and when to use them.

That's the long version. The short version would be work on what you know, and then try learn new things and work em into your gameplay.

I'm still new so sorry if i sounded too obvious or a55 hole-y. I just like to help.

Last edited:

Army805

Smash Cadet
I typically practice my movement first, be sure to have max length wavedashes as it makes it easier to get grabs and followups. Then I usually practice some desyncs and desync edgeguards. If you don't have Nanapults, pivot desyncs, and the other more technical desyncs down i'd work on those, as well as always being able to get nana at the edge. Then, of course, work on your grab game. At earlier percents, its easier to mash out of wobbles so practice your downthrow to nana down-air regrabs, hand offs, etc. Even though my wobbles are consistent (you should never be dropping them at higher percents imo) I practice them occasionally, and then practice inputting the nana d-smash at the end. Shield drops should also be practiced, and anything else that you find you frequently do/flub in actual gameplay.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Movement movement movement.
It's super easy to fall into the trap of just focusing on ICs punish game, but movement is super important to work on (both as sopo and synced, since you have to move differently).
On the same note as movement, you want to be practicing controlling your movement. Wding different lengths (or pivoting to stop your momentun out of wd/wavelands when youre at that point).
Knowing what desyncs nana and what doesnt.
Integrating platform mobility and mixing up empty hops, wavelands, and ac bairs.
Poking different positions (shadow boxing).
Practicing different kinds of desyncs and making the quicker/safer ones muscle memory.
Maintaining extended desyncs then resyncing at different points.

Then the punish game.
Converting different things to grabs, basic cgs all the way to more specific stuff, handoffs, wobbling/wobble setups/finishers, sopo combos, etc.

That stuff is still super important, and early on your punish game tends to get you further since its easiest to improve, but the tech, spacing, and quick/controlled movement is incredibly important to work on and not enough new ICs will practice it.

Top Bottom