• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Olimar Teammate

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Greetings, y'all. My **** is big. No lie, there's this legit Oli in G-ville that is making me rethink my main (or at least consider a secondary). Anyways, this topic is about teams. My recent escapades with G-ville's G&W have led me to think that G&W might in fact be one of Oli's best teammates for G's recovery assist alone. Whether it's his trampoline or Uair, I've been saved countless time's from those sexy Oli gimps people be learnin' about nowadays.

Any input? My only problem with this team is that I can't think of any of Olimar's skills that compliment G&W. Almost anything I think of is something universal to all characters and not just G&W. Input appreciated.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
Yeah, our strategy, essentially, is I stay in the middle of the stage, and if I venture even slightly close to the ledge, G&W comes to the rescue. His dash attack also helps with edge guards if he's too late to boost me up. The thing is, G&W's ground game isn't exactly lacking, which is why I still can't find a good reason for this to be one of G&W's best teams, too.

Edit: Nice vid. That's pretty much how most of our matches progressed as well, lol. Sexy names by the way. =3

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I've teamed with a G&W a couple of times (this particular G&W may end up as my static partner) and the general strategy for the Oli is to camp/stock tank/punish.
Olimar can do bookoo damage in a second, net sneaky kills, and he's actually not bad at stock tanking (provided you don't get gimped).
G&W compliments this well because he can also kill early and can force enemies into bad situations that Olimar can capitalize on.

If you're looking for specific gimmicks, there are little things like charging a Dsmash a short distance away after a G&W Dthrow (puts enemies in a REALLY bad position, they have no options if it happens near a ledge and few if it doesn't) and G&W Nair/Bair to Oli Uair/Fair (depending on the situation and opponent's DI).

TL;DR - Just let the G&W do his business, punish what he can't, and try to stock tank.
He's Batman, Oli's just Robin.

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
That's a nice way to put it. Sometimes we'd get an opponent trapped in my Uair and his Nair respectively, and I laugh at the sexiness of it. Anyways, I guess Olimar doesn't compliment G&W much more than any other character, i.e. filling in his gaps. Still, the recovery assist potential with G&W when it comes to Oli cannot be ignored. Imo, it's one of his best teammates. Any others I am not aware of?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
His ability to help Olimar recover isn't a big part of the reason it's such a good team.
I apologize if I didn't make that clear when I avoided mentioning it completely.

Most characters that can 2v1 make good teammates for Oli (Metaknight, Snake).
Kirby and Dedede are good teammates IMO.
R.O.B.'s good if you both know what you're doing.
I hear Luigi's good, but I personally don't have any experience teaming with one.

Asa

Smash Hero
standard doubles gods:
mk
gw
wario

rob seems to work well with most olis. he can save you well, he can handle 2v1 decently, and you can do an olimar purple uthrow into a rob usmash to kill ppl really goddamn early lol

ppl with hard hitting kill moves work well too i guess, like fox/luigi

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
R.O.B.'s Uair does sooooooo much damage.
It's good for damage racking, but it hurts when he tries to save you with it. XD

But if you're in a position in which you would need saving, I don't think a little extra damage would make a huge difference.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm sure it IS a lot harder, considering that he might not get that hop back.

BTW. I teamed with Poltergust (a Yoshi) and got fourth at HOBO. We lost to Esca (Pit) + Jerm (TL) twice. :glare:
It's a really fun team with some easy gimmicks.

- Oli Uthrow to Yoshi Uair for a kill, Oli Dthrow to Yoshi Dair for MASSIVE DAMAGE (and it puts them in a bad position), Yoshi CG to charged purple Usmash

- He can save us with falling Uair and recover safely if we're not TOO far out.

- Both characters can tank, camp and kill pretty well.

It's REALLY weird to get used to, though.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Oh wow. I usually team with MK's lol. My Scene's infested with them. The best Players (besides me ;)) main MK. 4th is really good in teams bro (assuming more than 10 teams were there)? Or its good. either way, u were almost in the money, and thats really cool bro.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There were more than ten teams. I forgot how many.

I also forgot to mention something:

- Keep Kirby away from Yoshi offstage. FOR GOD'S SAKE, KEEP KIRBY AWAY FROM HIM.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
What's the difference between a White owl , a Black owl and a Ryo owl?
The White owl says, "Who! Who!",
the black owl says, "Who dat! Who dat!",
the Ryo owl says, "WHO GUNNA SUCK MY ****!?"

Omg I wish we could go back to MLG orlando times.

anyway, I've always had the best results with raz (Oli + MK). We've had notable wins such as beating CO18 and MK18 in their prime, taking Tyrant+DEHF to last hit of game 3 (my suicide at the end causing us to lose), and others that I can't remember. MK can save olimar in almost every gimp situation (which olimar will end up in a lot of the time especially against what I like to call 'choppy' characters such as wario, gnw, and mk) which eliminates olimar's biggest weakness.

Olimar's partner needs to play a tricky style, regardless of character. Olimar can be extremely efficient in teams, but you have to constantly be setting him up. One example strategy is having your MK partner tornado someone even if they have a new shield, so the olimar can just run underneath and grab him.

I feel like you're on the right track with GNW. I've always had a feeling it would be a nasty team but never had the opportunity to team with one. I know you're too manly to play MK, so give GNW a shot for a while and let me know how it goes.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
That's a nice way to put it. Sometimes we'd get an opponent trapped in my Uair and his Nair respectively, and I laugh at the sexiness of it. Anyways, I guess Olimar doesn't compliment G&W much more than any other character, i.e. filling in his gaps. Still, the recovery assist potential with G&W when it comes to Oli cannot be ignored. Imo, it's one of his best teammates. Any others I am not aware of?
Is this Will or ryo lol. Ryo doesn't have a g&w rofl.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
- Keep Kirby away from Yoshi offstage. FOR GOD'S SAKE, KEEP KIRBY AWAY FROM HIM.
Those were only friendlies! D:

But yeah, Olimar d-throw -> Yoshi d-air -> Olimar up-smash is too good. You could probably even grab the opponent again and do another d-throw for an endless loop.

Asa

Smash Hero
i really wanna team with firefly but he's married to dumb breez :/

Top Bottom