• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Down Smashes

Furret24

Smash Master
Which characters do you think have the best down smashes? I'm curious as to who is generally considered to have among the best.

Some of the Best IMO
:4megaman:
:4ganondorf:
:4lucas:
:4kirby:
:4metaknight:
:4villager:
:4rob:
:4zss:

Last edited:

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I think R.O.B's is pretty good. And Mewtwo's looks cool, not too great, though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Almost everybody's down smash is inferior to the rest of their moveset. The best one would probably be Rosalina & Luma. Lucario's and Link's are up there, too.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What about jiggly puffs downsmash? It's a semi spike
Jigglypuff's down smash is a chargeable taunt. It is the very definition of garbage. Only her up smash is worse, and even that's debatable. It's one of the worst moves in the game, let alone down smashes.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Jigglypuff's down smash is a chargeable taunt. It is the very definition of garbage. Only her up smash is worse, and even that's debatable. It's one of the worst moves in the game, let alone down smashes.
Why because of the terrible range? I wont argue that there are a lot of better moves in smash, but it does kind of have a use. It puts opponents in one of the worst positions to recover from

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I've gotten good use out of :4charizard:'s Dsmash as a punish for dodge roll spammers. Even if a character rolls inside Charizard, DSmash will still hit them in that radius. Though it doesn't come out nearly as fast as Usmash, which is one of the best Usmash's in the game I feel. Zard in general has some amazing moves, but his weakness is few of them actually string together and often have ending/starting lag.

Furret24

Smash Master
Why because of the terrible range? I wont argue that there are a lot of better moves in smash, but it does kind of have a use. It puts opponents in one of the worst positions to recover from
No, it's range isn't half bad. It's the fact that semi-spikes aren't scary to anyone not Mac Attack, Doc, or Ganondorf in this game. The move itself can't kill, even at 200%, without rage.

It's pretty slow for a Down Smash too, starting frame 14.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The range is only part of the problem. It's also slow, punishable, and extremely weak. It may be a semi-spike, but that would require you actually land it, which will never happen.
No, it's range isn't half bad. It's the fact that semi-spikes aren't scary to anyone not Mac Attack, Doc, or Ganondorf in this game. The move itself can't kill, even at 200%, without rage.

It's pretty slow for a Down Smash too, starting frame 14.
Honestly, Mac should never get hit by such a slow attack.

Furret24

Smash Master
Shulk has the best down smash for punishing roll spammers.
True, but it's incredibly punishable by any attack that hits downward (ie. Yoshi Bomb).

Fun Fact: :4gaw:'s Up Smash invincibility protects him from Shulk's Down Smash, to the point where he can"counter" Shulk's Down Smash with it.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
True, but it's incredibly punishable by any attack that hits downward (ie. Yoshi Bomb).

Fun Fact: :4gaw:'s Up Smash invincibility protects him from Shulk's Down Smash, to the point where he can"counter" Shulk's Down Smash with it.
I know, you missed my point in that it's the best way to punish roll spammers. It's definitely not the best down smash in the game, and I never said it was.

Furret24

Smash Master
I know, you missed my point in that it's the best way to punish roll spammers. It's definitely not the best down smash in the game, and I never said it was.
Sorry about that.

I agree with you on that stance though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Down Smash Kill Percents
:4pikachu:- 190% (49/55)
:4littlemac:- 140% (29/55)

This doesn't mean they're bad though.
Didn't... know they were that bad. I've always used them better for a rack up of damage off a punish. Maybe it's just how they come out pretty quick and had solid damage.

Furret24

Smash Master
Didn't... know they were that bad. I've always used them better for a rack up of damage off a punish. Maybe it's just how they come out pretty quick and had solid damage.
:4pikachu:- 13%, Starts Frame 8.
:4littlemac:- 12%, Starts Frame 10.

Not the best in damage, but they're fairly fast for Down Smashes.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
ROB's is frame 7, does around 11% damage, covers both sides, isn't horrendously laggy like some (hello Megaman) and isn't awful at killing thanks to a very horizontal angle.

It is probably not the best in any single category but I'd wager it's one of the most useful.

Furret24

Smash Master
ROB's is frame 7, does around 11% damage, covers both sides, isn't horrendously laggy like some (hello Megaman) and isn't awful at killing thanks to a very horizontal angle.

It is probably not the best in any single category but I'd wager it's one of the most useful.
It's one of my personal favorites.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I don't know... There are a lot of cool d-smashes. I like Pika's... It is cool.

Top Bottom